Sari ONeal

The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Arizona is too hot for me. 

There was a small earthquake in San Leandro yesterday. Felt like someone jumped up and down really hard, but just once. A big jolt. The dog was not impressed. The San Andreas fault is supposed to go anytime now. They've been saying so for decades. My husband says we shouldn't worry because a meteor will hit the planet in December and the earth will end anyway. That's just the way things have been going. LOL. But seriously, I have been thinking it's time to move somewhere other than California. Just not sure exactly where I want to go yet. Not a big fan of sub zero temps and snow, but I'm also not a fan of extreme heat. Coastal California has always been fairly moderate, but the last few years, not so much.

Hit a Labor Day protest earlier today. Need to process images now. So glad I bought this little frost making humidifier when we had the last heat wave. It's about the only thing that's keeping me from melting (since my office space is on the top floor, where it's the warmest). And it works on batteries so I don't have to have it plugged in while I'm working. Which is good because the cord gets damn hot when you have it plugged in and running. It'll charge fine without overheating the cord though when it's not on.

Sheila - could you put a window A/C unit upstairs to keep the top floor cool? That cold air would probably also sink down to the next floor.

We only have a window unit in the loft and because the loft is open to the "main space" of the house, the air spreads everywhere and keeps the house comfortable when it gets too hot.

Not sure where it could be equally moderate weather as California, as the South gets really hot and humid, as does the portion of East Coast that doesn't freeze in winter...LOL

Our summers are hot, and while our winters are mostly somewhat moderate, it can get stupid cold, too.

Ruudeeh - South Florida?

Great place for hurricanes. Do you also have sinkholes in that area, I know Florida has karst a lot, prime country for sudden holes in the ground. Not for me, that shit scares the crap outa me! :P

Sink holes are so surreal. And devastating too. 

By the way, the Florida everglades look amazing. It has it's own kind of beauty. And that's where Clyde Butcher resides. He does amazing work on large format film.

15 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Ruudeeh - South Florida?

Great place for hurricanes. Do you also have sinkholes in that area, I know Florida has karst a lot, prime country for sudden holes in the ground. Not for me, that shit scares the crap outa me! :P

I actually have never seen a significant sinkhole in my life. It seems they are more in central Florida I guess

Yes Hurricanes are scary, but at least you usually see them coming. Tornadoes, Earthquakes, and especially those California fires are as scary as they come to me. 

9 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

By the way, the Florida everglades look amazing. It has it's own kind of beauty. And that's where Clyde Butcher resides. He does amazing work on large format film.

That's my stomping ground. As a matter of fact, I met Clyde and had some nice conversations with him.  That video is in Big Cypress National Preserves and he used to organize those swamp walks from his backyard. I live about an hour away from that area and I never saw the need for those walks. It's all right there.

If we ever move out of South Florida (which is the plan),The Everglades and Big Cypress are the only two things I will miss

Warning: shameless plug: https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/rudy-umans?tab=artworkgalleries&artworkgalleryid=910218

I just finished my educational photobook about the Everglades National Park

Clyde Butcher doesn't live in Big Cypress anymore. He moved to Tampa some time ago where he has his darkroom and a gallery. Tampa is about 150 miles north on the Gulf of Mexico. 

Thank you very much for the compliment Patrick! That one was done with my 6 x 17 ("The Beast") pinhole camera. That camera has a 140 something  degree angle of view, which is about a 6 mm focal length on a Full Frame. It has a curved film plane with a radius of 70mm (Focal length) and f/233. I got his thing a few month before Covid 19 so I haven't used it as often as I would like, The Everglades was closed for a couple of months. I did use it a good number of times though and it still takes me 5-10 minutes to load the film. It's a pain in the rear tootsie, but one with great rewards. It's my second favorite camera

Here is a BTS picture. Not the same location, but the set up is the same

20200520_185403rz.jpg

22 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Sheila - could you put a window A/C unit upstairs to keep the top floor cool? That cold air would probably also sink down to the next floor.

It would be a challenge to do this. I've mentioned it to my husband a few times. He also has some severe aversion to window ac units. Not sure why. I would probably over rule this if I could find one that would work with our windows. It's a bit of a challenge since our windows don't slide sideways or upwards like most houses do. the windows are on a hinge and they crank outwards from the house, but are inset several inches into the actual window when open. Here's the window above my desk. They're all like this (the ones that open. A third of the windows don't even open at all).

Window.thumb.jpg.7ce67ce97d475322e3344a3e8da83386.jpg

Debbie, we went to London the summer of 2011, and I thought the weather was perfect there. I'm more inclined to see if I can find some place in the US though so I wouldn't have to deal with international issues :)  Most of our earth quakes in recent years have been smaller too. I've actually never been closer than 100 miles from the epicenter for any of the larger ones, so we didn't sustain any significant damage from any of them. HOpefully we never do. We don't have earthquake insurance. It's just too expensive. The regular home insurance is expensive enough as it is.

Sheila we have casement windows like that.  (All our windows are like that, except the biggest ones just open on the sides, not in the middle). We just take the window out (for summer, we just put it back for winter) and fill in the rest of the hole above the A/C; we have styrofoam, but anything to fill it where bugs and weather can't get in will work. Since yours is towards the street you'd probably use something that looks good to the outside.

Also, you'd need a support for it because it'll stick out and it'll have to hold the weight.

Yeah, my parents had one in their living room, but it was a huge unit. We called it a swamp cooler because it made a swamp underneath it. If the pads weren't kept wet, it just blew hot air, so they fixed the hose up to drip slowly all the time and keep the pads wet. We were much cooler today, by more than 20 degrees. It got downright cold this evening. Hopefully this'll be the last of the horrid heat for the season.

We got another kitten to foster today. She's just barely 6 weeks old but she's huge. They think she's part Norwegian Forest Cat, and they apparently get larger than a Maine Coon from what I saw online. She's so bouncy and playful. Hopefully I'll get some good photos with her, but we'll see. The really playful ones can be more of a challenge to work with.

I have to admit that I am not keen on the window units there are far more efficient AC units now. ....out present units are bolted to the wall and are fed from a unit on the floor outside. We can also just use it on fan only. It is far more efficient than a window unit.

Rudy I think I would rather have met Clyde Butcher than Peter Lik (who I have met and found to be an arrogant phallus) ...

Wendy woah, you've met Peter Lik? Sorry to hear that the experience wasn't a good one.

Yea Clyde Butcher seems like a really nice guy and good to chat to. 

9 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Yeah, my parents had one in their living room, but it was a huge unit. We called it a swamp cooler because it made a swamp underneath it. If the pads weren't kept wet, it just blew hot air, so they fixed the hose up to drip slowly all the time and keep the pads wet.

I've never seen an actual swamp cooler, but what your parents had sounds like one.

The difference between a swamp cooler and an A/C is how they cool the air, and what they do to it -

a swamp cooler passes air over a wet pad, which evaporates into the air, cools it, and adds moisture to it from that water. So you get cooler, somewhat humid air into your house.

A/C  - air conditioner, does the opposite - it takes the warm air from inside your house, runs it through a system with refrigerant and condenser, the humidity turns into water (in the condenser) and it gets drained to the outside, and the unit cools down the air with the help of the refrigerant, and blows it back into your house. So, you get rid of the hot, humid air and get it replaced with cold, dry air.

Our window A/C  is a true A/C, not a swamp cooler. It doesn't need water to be added for it to function, and the cheap little unit we have can efficiently cool down the house so much that my husband (!!!) even complained it was too cold and he went and set it warmer.....LOL I'm usually the one to complain it's too cold, you know,  but him actually agreeing that was the case - yeah, the A/C is doing its job for sure.

But of course, our house is small and it being so open aids with the free flow of air so it's cool everywhere even with one little A/C.

I woke up to 52F here in Northern Arizona. It should get into the 70s today but we have been having temps in the 90s these last few weeks. Came as a shock. Not sure whether to blame Colorado or California. 😄

Charles - it's the arctic blast everyone's been taking about. Something about the remnants of a typhoon hitting the jetstream sometime last week or earlier, and causing the jetstream to dip much farther south than normal, bringing in arctic air from the north.

We were at 90F yesterday, and we're at 61F right now, and it feels like we've been hit with winter....LOL!!

It's apocolyptic looking here right now from all the smoke and ash. It's 9AM and you'd think it was 9PM it's so dark. The sky is a brownish orange. Just got a push notification that the skies are apocolyptic too. How ironic.

https://abc7news.com/weather/if-air-quality-isnt-bad-why-is-the-sky-so-orange/6414147/

I guess today is not a good day to spend outside with the crappy air quality. No chance of rain in sight. Hoping for at least some off shore breeze to clear it away (but then that's just spreading it inland to other people so not sure which is worse).

Ugh on the weather changes  .... makes it hard to adjust.

Sheila another plus for an AC system besides being able to set it at a comfortable temp is that it will filter the crap out of the air making it better for you in the house. An excellent investment for those with breathing issues.

Patrick, I met him a few times socially, His work is good I agree, but I have seen many as good and many who are better, he is an excellent marketer which is why he gets attention when others do not. I was not young enough, slim enough or pretty enough to warrant much conversation. I think he knew that I was not "impressed" by him. He liked to have his acolytes around him feeding his ego. Other's may have a different opinion of him, that was just my experience.

Wendy, I attended a book launch by Peter Dobre, one of South Australia's best known landscape / nature photographers. I have spoken on the phone with him as well. Very friendly person. Actually, once on the road, we passed by his car. I just assume that was Pete inside driving. You could see all his sponsors all over the car in the form of stickers. 

A very nice sunset courtesy of Pete Dobre

https://petedobre.com.au/product/simpson-desert-in-flood/

I like this Tasmanian waterfall image from him too.

https://petedobre.com.au/product/horseshoe-falls-tasmania/

15 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

It's apocolyptic looking here right now from all the smoke and ash. It's 9AM and you'd think it was 9PM it's so dark. The sky is a brownish orange. Just got a push notification that the skies are apocolyptic too. How ironic.

https://abc7news.com/weather/if-air-quality-isnt-bad-why-is-the-sky-so-orange/6414147/

I guess today is not a good day to spend outside with the crappy air quality. No chance of rain in sight. Hoping for at least some off shore breeze to clear it away (but then that's just spreading it inland to other people so not sure which is worse).

I heard on the news this morning that you had orange skies, smoke and ash. I hope it clears up soon for you. Sounds awful :( 
Are you getting pictures of it all? 

5 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Wendy, I attended a book launch by Peter Dobre, one of South Australia's best known landscape / nature photographers. I have spoken on the phone with him as well. Very friendly person. Actually, once on the road, we passed by his car. I just assume that was Pete inside driving. You could see all his sponsors all over the car in the form of stickers. 

A very nice sunset courtesy of Pete Dobre

https://petedobre.com.au/product/simpson-desert-in-flood/

I like this Tasmanian waterfall image from him too.

https://petedobre.com.au/product/horseshoe-falls-tasmania/

Yes very nice work!

Sheila - yeah those orange pics are all over the net, it's quite awful! 😮

In the meantime it's cold here (55F / 13C right now, ugh) and rainy. I hate it for the outside animals, domestic or wild, it's not good for any of them for the temps to drop like that and rain to make it worse on top.

Yesterday morning I found a Hummingbird in grass, and I expected him to fly off after I got him some nectar and a place to rest, but when I tried to turn him loose he'd try to fly and crash in the grass mere feet away.

So we ended up taking him to a wildlife rehabber so they can nurture him back to flying condition. From what I could tell, he was missing half of his tail feathers, which I assume prevented him from getting enough lift to fly. I don't know what got him, since he had to have flown where he was originally, it's far from any trees, but close to a feeder; something must have tried to grab him and in the process the long tail feathers were lost. There are birds that will snatch a Hummer, but it could have been anything that got close enough.

He was so sweet, I held him in my hand while giving him nectar, and when I tried to move him on the little perch on the feeder so he could sit there instead, he'd climb back into my hand right away. I guess it was warmer :P