Sari ONeal

The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Sari, great footage of the little jumper! I'm sure she appreciates her accommodation and room service. 

Linda, with regards to the rats, you could leave a camera out there by the tree recording continuously while you're far away out of sight. When the memory card fills up, you can check the footage to see if you've captured anything. If there's nothing there, delete that file and then place the camera back there again and leave it on record again and repeat. That's what Ive done with various critters. Of course the other option is a camera that only records when it detects motion like a trail cam. 

Here in Australia, we have the wedge tailed eagle which is one of the largest eagles in the world. They like to feed on roadkill and other animals that have dropped dead in various places. Over on the farm when we had sheep, we would have the occasional sheep that would die for whatever reason. So a few times, I set up a GoPro right by the body of a deceased sheep and left it on record, hoping that a wedge tailed eagle would descend upon the body while I was far away somewhere else. I probably left it recording for close to an hour or something like that but I did not manage to get any footage of any eagles. It's actually quite common for these eagles to come down and feed on sheep after they've gone down in the field and died but they certainly didn't do that when I set up the GoPro. Bad luck I guess.

This sort of thing did work when I set up a MiniDv camcorder by the entrance of a goanna burrow on the farm. For those who don't know, goannas are Australian monitor lizards and we have quite a few species here though only one species is native to Kangaroo Island - Varanus rosenbergi (the Rosenbergs goanna.) And some species can get to a fair size. Some grow to over a meter and some are as large as two meters. Once again, I was far away out of sight while the camera was recording. 

The reason why the goanna is running back into the burrow in the second clip is because I had to come and retrieve the camera. So it was spooked by me. I would have preferred to leave the lizard in peace but my family were about to depart to go to another part of the island so I had to pick up the camera.

Here's a cool video on Australia's largest goanna - the Perentie. An excerpt from David Attenborough's "Life In Cold Blood" BBC series.

Thanks, Sheila, I submitted some last night and they were approved when I got up this morning. I still have a bigger pile uploaded but waiting to be keyworded, but since the weekend is coming up, I might leave that till Sunday night or Monday.

We had a heat index of 107F yesterday, and this morning the dew point was (and still is) really high, which makes the air feel super stuffy and hot. Fortunately, it got cloudy, so it eased off from the high heat index a little bit. They had predicted up to 111F heat index for today, but I don't see that happening unless it gets sunny again. Now I'm crossing my fingers, arms, toes and legs for some rain, we really need it.

Ick on the weather! We're getting a nice cool down here, which is not only a welcome relief from the heat but is helping the fire fighters. The one big fire has jumped to over 40% containment in the last few days. Some rain would be a welcome event, but not likely.

My grandson is being manic with having to stay home all the time (partly from the pandemic and party because it's so hot where they live in Arizona) so I just bought some DVD's of the new interest he has (little einsteins) and shipped those to her. Hopefully they help entertain him. Also picked up a Leap Frog game system as that's what I used with my kids when they were younger and had that direct shipped to them. It's slightly above his age level right now, but it's for either his birthday or christmas (which are in the same month) and if she thinks it'll help entertain him and motivate him to talk more, I wouldn't be upset if they gave it to him earlier. He's been in speech therapy for almost a year now and is making significant progress based on what I saw when I was there in March and what he was doing on the video clip she sent me the other day. His speech is much more understandable and he's actually talking more. So bummed I likely won't get to see him in person again til after the new year. Travel is just not a good thing right now. Although if my husband finally breaks down and agrees to get a new car (ours is on it's last leg) I might consider driving up there. I just don't want to fly. Driving is an 11 hour trip if one doesn't stop so probably a two day project if I'm driving by myself. My husband is ok with driving without stopping. Me, not so much.

Well, it looks like they reduced ( !!! :( ) our rain chances today from 40% to 20, so it's not gong to rain today. But, there are higher chances predicted for tonight and the next few days, so my body parts stay crossed every which way to support the arrival of rain....

Sheila it's funny to think how, if a kid doesn't pronounce a letter correctly (like, at the age they should be able to say it), they get sent to speech therapy. So, if a kid in Finland pronounces "R" like it's said in English, it's straight to therapy till they can roll it properly...LOL!! :D

Here's a normal view of one of our Hummer feeders:

https://ak.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/1058103817/preview/stock-footage-several-ruby-throated-hummingbirds-at-a-nectar-feeder-eating-and-sharing.webm

6 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Sheila it's funny to think how, if a kid doesn't pronounce a letter correctly (like, at the age they should be able to say it), they get sent to speech therapy. So, if a kid in Finland pronounces "R" like it's said in English, it's straight to therapy till they can roll it properly...LOL!! :D

In California, it's actually really hard to get speech therapy initiated. My dtr moved to Arizona and it sounded like it was a tad more reasonable process (and less time required) to initiate it. My grandson was actually non-verbal 6 months ago. He'll be three this December. He didn't even coherently say mom or dad. He made sounds, but they were not recognizable words. After about three months of ST, he started to actually use a few words here and there. Now he's talking all the time and more than 50% of what he says is understandable (possibly more, but since I'm not there, I couldn't say for sure). When I was there in March, he'd only use a few basic words. Now he's making 3+ word sentences. Like "it's a apple" in the video she sent me was crystal clear IMO. Since my son had the same issues with the speech, I saw it as a potential issue and brought it to her attention. It took a few months before she admitted it was, but then she was pretty quick with getting everything initiated. He may be on the spectrum as well with a touch of aspergers. Won't know for sure til he's a bit older.

Sheila - he'll get there, sounds like he's making great progress. Sometimes it takes a little extra help to get them connected to the verbal world :D

All that rain keeps going around us. Early yesterday morning we woke up to lightning, and it went JUST barely south of us, the line of storms was probably a hundred miles long, but we missed all of it.

Very early this morning two lines of storms went right by us, again we got to see the light show, but no rain, it all passed us on north side, traveling south east.

A while ago another storm came by, and went JUST by to the south and southwest of us.

We're cursed for sure, grrrr............

Patrick, that's a great idea for capturing things without a trail cam. Now I just need a good idea to get motivated to try it lol. I've seen the rats about but not stealing apples for a few days. It might be that because I've been out doing jobs in the garden I've disturbed them. 

Sheila sounds like your grandson is coming along in leaps and bounds now :) Hope you get to see him soon, I bet you'll really see a difference when you do. It's hard not being able to see people when we want. I've hardly seen anyone this year almost all my family and friends live outside Wales. We've had stricter rules in place here so no one has been able to come over and stay like they normally would. Can't even have anyone in the house still, so unless people want to sit outside in the cold and rain it ain't gonna happen!

Sari, wish I could send you some of our rain! Apart from the last few days it's been peeing down for ages here.
This is from a couple of weeks ago, height of summer lol. Not much rain to go with the rainbow on this day....turn up volume!

Linda - looking forward to seeing it :D

There has been another storm approaching for the last hour, the thunder has been loud and clear.... and.... it's going right by........ again.......... 😡

Thanks Linda and Sari. He definitely is a cutie pie. I get to talk to him over skype (or facetime, which ever it is we are using now) but he's a bit on the ADHD side so he doesn't really talk much. He wants to play. He's loving his new DVD's I sent him (Little Einsteins). And then I cleaned up my desk and the bookshelves in my office area work space and found some of the Magic School bus DVD's the kids used to watch. So I'll have to send those next time I have a few more things to send as well. I need to look through the loose DVD's as well because one of the cases is empty.

Sorry you didn't get any rain again today Sari. It's definitely been extremes this year. Areas that are getting rain are getting too much and the rest aren't getting enough.

Aww, it's great you can Skype him Sheila, we are lucky we can do these things these days :)

OK I think I've downsized the clip, fingers crossed it works this time!

.......Argh, I give up LOL. Now you have to download it, bugger that! It's on Instagram if you have that and want o look. I'm sure it will be a letdown after all the anticipation though LOL. 
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDzV2H5guds/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

So out of curiosity, has anyone here shot with a Mamiya RB67? That is a beast of a camera. 

Patrick - you need to ask Ruuudeeeh, he is into the stuff that I wouldn't know how to operate...LOL :P

Linda -- that's AWESOME! Thank you for sharing! :D

Sheila - we finally got some rain overnight, but it has stopped again. Seriously, it's been going around us so consistently it's hard to believe. The next weather station west of us had even less rain yesterday than we had, but now they have double ours 😮 There are areas south of us that have had 5-8 inches in the last 24 hours, and we're at under an inch. Ugh.

Here is my little friend from yesterday, she moved to the blue tube above the red one... LOL!!

Sari yes, Rudy would be the one to ask about such cool retro equipment :)

Gosh, I tried to watch your jumping spider video but it's giving me an error symbol. 

@Linda Bestwick Awesome capture on the video! 

@Sari ONeal Love your spider videos. What lens are you using to capture that? It's so clear for a close up. I can't zoom in that close with any of the lenses I have for a subject that small. I don't have any macro lenses though either. I really need to look at getting one at some point.

One of the facilities I started working at wants me to get the covid testing done since I haven't been tested yet. So I'm heading out to do that here shortly. There's an awesome site right next to them that has a great view of the inner bay so I'm bringing my gear to do some photography while I'm there. They have a spectacular view of the inner bay area (when the sky isn't chocking from all the wildfire smoke).

27 minutes ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

@Sari ONeal Love your spider videos. What lens are you using to capture that? It's so clear for a close up. I can't zoom in that close with any of the lenses I have for a subject that small. I don't have any macro lenses though either. I really need to look at getting one at some point.

LOL, it was shot with my crappy ass, cheap, old, phone :D  :D

I just steadied it on the base of a tripod so it would stay still, and focused from there. I bet your phone could do FAR better!

On 9/1/2020 at 12:02 PM, Sari ONeal said:

LOL, it was shot with my crappy ass, cheap, old, phone :D  :D

I just steadied it on the base of a tripod so it would stay still, and focused from there. I bet your phone could do FAR better!

Well, the camera is pretty decent so it can't be to crappy :D  I used to have a macro attachment for my iphone, but the newer cameras have two lenses side by side so the lens doesn't fit the new 8 Plus version. I just gave that lens to my dtr to play with on her phone. I haven't done a lot of close up work with the phone because it has such a narrow depth of field when close up. I might have to play with it a bit more to see what I can get, but I also just ordered a new macro lens for this version as well.

Feeling lazy today. Ordered a pizza for the kids so they don't have to scrounge for themselves in the kitchen. Not that we're lacking for things to eat. They'd just rather each chips or frozen waffles than actually cook something.

Sheila that phone only shoots 6MP pics, and 1080 video, so yeah, it's certainly not a high end one :P

Linda that lightning was great with the rainbow :)

The other day we had a small storm approaching, and I was thinking I should unplug my PC before a lightning hits us, and just then it flashed, the power went off, and a giant BOOOOM followed. It was great time then to unplug everything...LOL

My husband was just coming home and as he was at a high spot on the road, he saw the lightning bolt hit about a mile from us. He said it was definitely a special one, as sparks seemed to go everywhere from it.

Also, those flies either get swatted with a fly swat or caught and fed to spiders, so they really have no way out of it...