The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

1 hour ago, Sari ONeal said:

I never see that many Hummers on our feeders (we have 4 now). Maybe when the weather cools down a bit.

• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

Sheila yes, it's an island but it is an extremely large island. The fires are well over 100km away. I have put water out for animals. Though it would likely be the animals from around here that would

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Sheila it's funny to think how, if a kid doesn't pronounce a letter correctly (like, at the age they should be able to say it), they get sent to speech therapy. So, if a kid in Finland pronounces "R" like it's said in English, it's straight to therapy till they can roll it properly...LOL!! :D

In California, it's actually really hard to get speech therapy initiated. My dtr moved to Arizona and it sounded like it was a tad more reasonable process (and less time required) to initiate it. My grandson was actually non-verbal 6 months ago. He'll be three this December. He didn't even coherently say mom or dad. He made sounds, but they were not recognizable words. After about three months of ST, he started to actually use a few words here and there. Now he's talking all the time and more than 50% of what he says is understandable (possibly more, but since I'm not there, I couldn't say for sure). When I was there in March, he'd only use a few basic words. Now he's making 3+ word sentences. Like "it's a apple" in the video she sent me was crystal clear IMO. Since my son had the same issues with the speech, I saw it as a potential issue and brought it to her attention. It took a few months before she admitted it was, but then she was pretty quick with getting everything initiated. He may be on the spectrum as well with a touch of aspergers. Won't know for sure til he's a bit older.

Sheila - he'll get there, sounds like he's making great progress. Sometimes it takes a little extra help to get them connected to the verbal world :D

All that rain keeps going around us. Early yesterday morning we woke up to lightning, and it went JUST barely south of us, the line of storms was probably a hundred miles long, but we missed all of it.

Very early this morning two lines of storms went right by us, again we got to see the light show, but no rain, it all passed us on north side, traveling south east.

A while ago another storm came by, and went JUST by to the south and southwest of us.

We're cursed for sure, grrrr............

Patrick, that's a great idea for capturing things without a trail cam. Now I just need a good idea to get motivated to try it lol. I've seen the rats about but not stealing apples for a few days. It might be that because I've been out doing jobs in the garden I've disturbed them. 

Sheila sounds like your grandson is coming along in leaps and bounds now :) Hope you get to see him soon, I bet you'll really see a difference when you do. It's hard not being able to see people when we want. I've hardly seen anyone this year almost all my family and friends live outside Wales. We've had stricter rules in place here so no one has been able to come over and stay like they normally would. Can't even have anyone in the house still, so unless people want to sit outside in the cold and rain it ain't gonna happen!

Sari, wish I could send you some of our rain! Apart from the last few days it's been peeing down for ages here.
This is from a couple of weeks ago, height of summer lol. Not much rain to go with the rainbow on this day....turn up volume!

Thanks Linda and Sari. He definitely is a cutie pie. I get to talk to him over skype (or facetime, which ever it is we are using now) but he's a bit on the ADHD side so he doesn't really talk much. He wants to play. He's loving his new DVD's I sent him (Little Einsteins). And then I cleaned up my desk and the bookshelves in my office area work space and found some of the Magic School bus DVD's the kids used to watch. So I'll have to send those next time I have a few more things to send as well. I need to look through the loose DVD's as well because one of the cases is empty.

Sorry you didn't get any rain again today Sari. It's definitely been extremes this year. Areas that are getting rain are getting too much and the rest aren't getting enough.

Aww, it's great you can Skype him Sheila, we are lucky we can do these things these days :)

OK I think I've downsized the clip, fingers crossed it works this time!

.......Argh, I give up LOL. Now you have to download it, bugger that! It's on Instagram if you have that and want o look. I'm sure it will be a letdown after all the anticipation though LOL. 
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDzV2H5guds/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Patrick - you need to ask Ruuudeeeh, he is into the stuff that I wouldn't know how to operate...LOL :P

Linda -- that's AWESOME! Thank you for sharing! :D

Sheila - we finally got some rain overnight, but it has stopped again. Seriously, it's been going around us so consistently it's hard to believe. The next weather station west of us had even less rain yesterday than we had, but now they have double ours 😮 There are areas south of us that have had 5-8 inches in the last 24 hours, and we're at under an inch. Ugh.

Here is my little friend from yesterday, she moved to the blue tube above the red one... LOL!!

@Linda Bestwick Awesome capture on the video! 

@Sari ONeal Love your spider videos. What lens are you using to capture that? It's so clear for a close up. I can't zoom in that close with any of the lenses I have for a subject that small. I don't have any macro lenses though either. I really need to look at getting one at some point.

One of the facilities I started working at wants me to get the covid testing done since I haven't been tested yet. So I'm heading out to do that here shortly. There's an awesome site right next to them that has a great view of the inner bay so I'm bringing my gear to do some photography while I'm there. They have a spectacular view of the inner bay area (when the sky isn't chocking from all the wildfire smoke).

27 minutes ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

@Sari ONeal Love your spider videos. What lens are you using to capture that? It's so clear for a close up. I can't zoom in that close with any of the lenses I have for a subject that small. I don't have any macro lenses though either. I really need to look at getting one at some point.

LOL, it was shot with my crappy ass, cheap, old, phone :D  :D

I just steadied it on the base of a tripod so it would stay still, and focused from there. I bet your phone could do FAR better!

On 9/1/2020 at 12:02 PM, Sari ONeal said:

LOL, it was shot with my crappy ass, cheap, old, phone :D  :D

I just steadied it on the base of a tripod so it would stay still, and focused from there. I bet your phone could do FAR better!

Well, the camera is pretty decent so it can't be to crappy :D  I used to have a macro attachment for my iphone, but the newer cameras have two lenses side by side so the lens doesn't fit the new 8 Plus version. I just gave that lens to my dtr to play with on her phone. I haven't done a lot of close up work with the phone because it has such a narrow depth of field when close up. I might have to play with it a bit more to see what I can get, but I also just ordered a new macro lens for this version as well.

Feeling lazy today. Ordered a pizza for the kids so they don't have to scrounge for themselves in the kitchen. Not that we're lacking for things to eat. They'd just rather each chips or frozen waffles than actually cook something.

Sheila that phone only shoots 6MP pics, and 1080 video, so yeah, it's certainly not a high end one :P

Linda that lightning was great with the rainbow :)

The other day we had a small storm approaching, and I was thinking I should unplug my PC before a lightning hits us, and just then it flashed, the power went off, and a giant BOOOOM followed. It was great time then to unplug everything...LOL

My husband was just coming home and as he was at a high spot on the road, he saw the lightning bolt hit about a mile from us. He said it was definitely a special one, as sparks seemed to go everywhere from it.

Also, those flies either get swatted with a fly swat or caught and fed to spiders, so they really have no way out of it...

On 9/1/2020 at 5:22 AM, Patrick Cooper said:

So out of curiosity, has anyone here shot with a Mamiya RB67? That is a beast of a camera. 

On 9/1/2020 at 1:23 PM, Sari ONeal said:

Patrick - you need to ask Ruuudeeeh, he is into the stuff that I wouldn't know how to operate...LOL :P

On 9/1/2020 at 1:32 PM, Patrick Cooper said:

Sari yes, Rudy would be the one to ask about such cool retro equipment :)

Gosh, I tried to watch your jumping spider video but it's giving me an error symbol. 

Thanks for the vote of confidence :)

and yes, I am into that old stuff. For Cameras that is, not for much else. (Although I did get my Medicare card this month LOl)

What do you want to know about that legendary jewel? Other than it came with a free membership to the gym if I remember correctly

Here are a few I shoot with. (there are 3 more I am afraid)

my camerasSSRZ.jpg

Rudy, nice collection of cameras there. Gosh, I still haven't found my Yashica TLR. It must be around here somewhere. 

Ah yes the Mamiya RB67. So many people talk about how heavy it is but when I picked one up at a camera market for the first time, I was surprised how light it was! I would like to use such a camera primarily for long exposures. That's why I'm attracted to the mechanical shutter (no battery to go flat.) Ive discovered that some of the Sekor lenses for the RB67 have a floating lens element ring that must be adjusted after focusing. This is something Ive never had to do on any other lens. To me, it's a strange oddity that I'll have to get used to (and hopefully won't forget.)

Regarding cable releases, I hope the RB67 doesn't require extra sturdy ones like my Koni Omega Rapid did? My Koni Omega was very fussy about which cable releases it accepted. And a weird and frustrating thing about that camera is that with a lot of the cable releases it used would work fine for a week and then after that time period, would only work on occasions. Very random. Sometimes they would fire and sometimes they wouldn't. Like the time I hiked slightly uphill before sunrise to photograph a landscape at first light and the cable release refused to fire. That was really testing my patience. I went through a number of cable releases with that camera. I also had problems with the Bulb setting - it just wouldn't work. A guy at a camera shop was able to fix the problem on the spot but then about a week later, the problem returned. Granted, I did capture some really nice images with the Koni Omega but it did have reliability issues. I hope the RB67 is free of such problems.

Woah, I made a sale on Alamy last month. A very rare thing indeed. I only discovered it just now. It's my third sale there. That sale was for $15 though I assume that's the total price minus any commission. Though I can't see my share listed anywhere. I think contributors get something like 40% these days? So I guess I might end up with something like $6 for it. Image use is a "book, print and / or e-book."

Patrick,

Those lenses with "floating" elements work best at close distances and to my knowledge focus adjustments are done automatically. Isn't that the whole purpose of floating elements?

I had a similar cable release problem with my Graflex Crown (top right)  There is a cable release terminal on the shutter, but since it is a press camera, there is also a remote release on the camera body (That shiny square looking thingy under the rangefinder), which is a mechanical thing with springs and levers that goes to the release button on the lens. This remote body release also has a thread for a cable release, but the problem was there that I needed  a release with a very long throw, which were hard to find. I found a plastic $4.00 one and the only one that works. Since your Koni Omega is also a press camera with a pistol grip with a release, I can imagine you had a similar problem.

Shutter setting, when not used for a long time, can get sticky. A bath in lighter fluid, high quality naphtha,  or electronic contact cleaner usually solves that problem (provided you can remove the front and rear elements.) But maybe in your case it was just a matter of a spring that popped off. 

Either way, in theory you shouldn't have a problem with a cable release on the RB. It has a normal thread in the release button like pretty much all cameras of that era

Here is a link to the original manual for that camera if you need it: https://butkus.org/chinon/mamiya/mamiya_rb67_pro-s/mamiya_rb67_pro_s.htm

Congrats on your sale on Alamy

One of my dad's cameras is like those accordian style cameras. Not sure what it is. I have it in a box somewhere. I haven't had time to go through those things to see if they're still useable. Just didn't want my brother tossing them (since he pretty much threw away everything that was in their house).

27 minutes ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

One of my dad's cameras is like those accordian style cameras. Not sure what it is. I have it in a box somewhere. I haven't had time to go through those things to see if they're still useable. Just didn't want my brother tossing them (since he pretty much threw away everything that was in their house).

Once you do, let us know Sheila and Patrick, Steve Mart, or I can probably tell you what it is and/or if it is worth fixing if it needs to be fixed.

11 hours ago, Rudy Umans said:

Patrick,

Those lenses with "floating" elements work best at close distances and to my knowledge focus adjustments are done automatically. Isn't that the whole purpose of floating elements?

Yea I believe that with helicoid focusing systems, the floating elements are adjusted automatically as you focus. Though I keep reading comments from experienced RB67 owners who say that the floating element ring must be set independently (after focusing) because of the bellows design. 

12 hours ago, Rudy Umans said:

Shutter setting, when not used for a long time, can get sticky. A bath in lighter fluid, high quality naphtha,  or electronic contact cleaner usually solves that problem (provided you can remove the front and rear elements.) But maybe in your case it was just a matter of a spring that popped off. 

I'm always hesitant about taking apart cameras. I'm worried that they may be in a worse state when I put them back together! 

By the way, the shutter on my Koni Omega was perfectly fine at all the regular shutter speeds from one second to 1/500th for the 90mm lens. I used that lens regularly with a lot of the slow shutter speeds for landscape work with medium speed and slow speed film. It was the B setting that was giving me problems. Actually, the first time I used the B setting, I thought it was working fine. I was doing long exposures of the ocean with an ND filter by the seaside and everything seemed normal. Though when I got the processed film back from the lab, things were definitely not right. All the frames in which I had used the long exposures were black. Doesn't make much sense, right? By the way, both the lens cap and dark slide were removed at the time. All the other frames on the film which were exposed with the regular shutter speeds were normal.

After that, I took the camera to a camera shop and the guy behind the counter was familiar with the Koni Omega Rapids. And it was clear to him that there was a problem with the B setting. Like I mentioned before, he was able to fix the problem on the spot right then and there (though to be honest, I'm not exactly sure how he did it!) But the problem came back a relatively short time later. It looked like it was going to be an ongoing problem - something that may never really go away for good. So that and the cable release issue led to some pretty frustrating experiences with this camera. To be honest, I don't know I kept punishing myself and kept using this camera to shoot landscapes. My father recommended that I get another camera after hearing about my problems with it. Actually, when I get back to shooting 6 x 7cm film some time in the near future, I will take his advice and get another camera. A camera that is more reliable and hopefully, the Mamiya RB67 will fit the bill. 

13 hours ago, Rudy Umans said:

I had a similar cable release problem with my Graflex Crown (top right)  There is a cable release terminal on the shutter, but since it is a press camera, there is also a remote release on the camera body (That shiny square looking thingy under the rangefinder), which is a mechanical thing with springs and levers that goes to the release button on the lens. This remote body release also has a thread for a cable release, but the problem was there that I needed  a release with a very long throw, which were hard to find. I found a plastic $4.00 one and the only one that works. Since your Koni Omega is also a press camera with a pistol grip with a release, I can imagine you had a similar problem.

Actually, that's another option I was considering for shooting 6 x 7 - something like a Graflex press camera (2 x 3 or 4 x 5) with a 6 x 7cm roll film back. I don't have any experience with view camera lenses but would some have a threaded cable release socket?

Sheila, it would be interesting to find out what kind of camera your father has. Sounds like it has a bellows.

Some years back, I bought a large format camera from a camera market for about $60. It was in very rough condition with broken ground glass and no lens. I wasn't actually sure what format it used but it was a fair size. My plan was to use a 4 x 5 reducing back on it. Strangely, that camera disappeared. I never got the chance to use it.