• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

Sheila yes, it's an island but it is an extremely large island. The fires are well over 100km away. I have put water out for animals. Though it would likely be the animals from around here that would

Posted Images

Sari, sorry to see what happened to your hen in your last trail camera video. Video quality looked quite nice though. I think the footage from my Bushnell camera looks very average though I haven't tried the daylight settings yet. 

And yes the dog / cat play behaviour does look similar. I notice that dogs tend to get a bit over enthusiastic when they play with cats!

Sheila that is amazing with the P5 sale. Was that a HD or 4k video sale? I got about 20 bucks for a video sale on P5 nearly a week ago. I heard it was announced on P5 that they were going to use standard licenses for all client uses so I was expecting to see less variety in sales figures these days. 

The couch is typically covered in enough junk so the cover is not easy to pull off, LOL :P

I've submitted exactly one image after the earnings change. I have plenty, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Again.

I also got a video sale, here, for 34 cents. Certainly not happy over that.

Your P5 sale was probably for some extended type use, so you got more $$. That's good! :)

That tuxedo kitty looks awesome, they have a special place in my heart :) Such characters! :D

Patrick - happens all the time. Either they get snatched from the yard during the day, or I forget to close the chicken run and a skunk or something sneaks in there at night and grabs one.

Patrick it was a 4K clip. Driving POV on the island. When the sky is good, I try to do a lot of Driving POV videos around the island. Not great to do right now with the cruddy air quality.

Sari, I didn't realize they had extended use licenses, but I'll take it :D I understand the lack of motivation on the uploading here. I've been lucky so far not to get the video sales for less than $1.50. Those are painful enough.

Oh, and on the topic of Australian firefighters, the travel restrictions are probably what's keeping them from coming to help. They've mobilized the national guard here and are currently training them for support positions in the fire fighting so the trained firefighters can be on the front lines while the national guard does the less dangerous work. First time they've ever responded in this manor in California (they were talking about it on the news this morning).

Sheila yes, the travel restrictions are preventing Australian firefighters from coming over. If it wasn't for that, I think they would definitely be over in California trying to help out. 

Tragic about the American firefighters who died in Australia earlier this year while fighting fires. The aircraft they were on went down.

@Linda Bestwick, we are ok. Same as last year, biggest impact is the smoke and very bad air quality. Fires an hour north of us is an hour or more drive away, and the one south of us is now only 45 min drive from here, but several freeways between us and the fire so if it jumps the freeway, we are all screwed. Doubtful it'll get to that point as they're really trying to concentrate the fire fighters around the populated areas. California has a lot of wide open spaces. It's basically the size of some smaller countries so a lot of land. the amt of land destroyed in the last week or so is more than the amt burned in all of last years fire season, so another record breaking year in that respect (unfortunately). WE had 50 more fires stared from lightning strikes over the last 24 hours, but they were able to get those all out according to the governors report (which is still airing right now, listening as I'm working on photos). Go back and read Jeff's post a few pages back. He had a close call in Washington.

Yeah, I've had way too many of the way-under-a-dollar footage sales :(

But, I just had two ELs, so that's something :)

Here's a new little friend, last fall I put some of these little tubes up, jumpers like to make their nests in them, and this one is living on our rain gauge post (last year I had one inside the rain gauge, THAT was no bueno, as she could have drowned that way!)

I've been taking her some fresh food (flies from the house) on a few mornings, and this one is from this morning -

Awesome pet you have there Sari!

Good way to get rid of fly corpse.

Thanks, Linda, it was pretty intense, been doing fire mitigation tree trimming, weed whacking, etc., to help prevent anything happening. Fortunately we have not had the lightening strikes they have had down in California. Apparently there is a fire fairly close to our old house in CA, so my other friends in CA are all packed ready to go.

Funny Sari. I probably would've used tweezers to hand the fly to him. LOL. We've had a few spiders out back that I've given some flies, but I tossed them into the web. We used to have some long tweezers to feed worms to my dtr's frog (he wouldn't eat them either so I had to go buy crickets for him) but I doubt we kept the tweezers when we moved.

Yeah, the last I heard the fire was really close to Fremont. Here's a map from a few days ago. I'm along the water just below where it says Oakland.

Edited to add: @Linda Bestwick this is only the start of our fire season. And it started early. We have at least two more months of fire season and this map is only part of Northern California. The fires in So Cal aren't shown and I understand some in Washington and Oregon north of us.

1509619617_ScreenShot2020-08-25at2_54_04PM.thumb.png.2eba2d8782c53230a175c7d79739e0f3.png

Only the start of the season, omg. And it's already worse than it was last year. Thanks for showing the map, the areas affected are huge :( 
Having lost a house before I guess you have a different perspective on what's happening Jeff. I can't imagine how depressing and scary that must have been. 
We are only getting snippets of news about it, but my ears perk up every time I hear something and think about you guys. Stay safe!

Sari, that clip is absolutely adorable! 

8 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Linda, I reckon it would be really interesting to see footage of those rats in action. Maybe a camera set up at ground level close to the apple tree?

It is quite funny seeing them running off with huge green apples in their mouths. If I get chance I will try and catch them on my point and shoot but I have only spotted them by chance so far, and then they are gone. No time for proper set ups at the moment sadly. If I do get anything I'll be sure to show the little blighters off here!

Looks like you have  a friend for life there Sari :D 

Sari, great footage of the little jumper! I'm sure she appreciates her accommodation and room service. 

Linda, with regards to the rats, you could leave a camera out there by the tree recording continuously while you're far away out of sight. When the memory card fills up, you can check the footage to see if you've captured anything. If there's nothing there, delete that file and then place the camera back there again and leave it on record again and repeat. That's what Ive done with various critters. Of course the other option is a camera that only records when it detects motion like a trail cam. 

Here in Australia, we have the wedge tailed eagle which is one of the largest eagles in the world. They like to feed on roadkill and other animals that have dropped dead in various places. Over on the farm when we had sheep, we would have the occasional sheep that would die for whatever reason. So a few times, I set up a GoPro right by the body of a deceased sheep and left it on record, hoping that a wedge tailed eagle would descend upon the body while I was far away somewhere else. I probably left it recording for close to an hour or something like that but I did not manage to get any footage of any eagles. It's actually quite common for these eagles to come down and feed on sheep after they've gone down in the field and died but they certainly didn't do that when I set up the GoPro. Bad luck I guess.

This sort of thing did work when I set up a MiniDv camcorder by the entrance of a goanna burrow on the farm. For those who don't know, goannas are Australian monitor lizards and we have quite a few species here though only one species is native to Kangaroo Island - Varanus rosenbergi (the Rosenbergs goanna.) And some species can get to a fair size. Some grow to over a meter and some are as large as two meters. Once again, I was far away out of sight while the camera was recording. 

The reason why the goanna is running back into the burrow in the second clip is because I had to come and retrieve the camera. So it was spooked by me. I would have preferred to leave the lizard in peace but my family were about to depart to go to another part of the island so I had to pick up the camera.

We had a heat index of 107F yesterday, and this morning the dew point was (and still is) really high, which makes the air feel super stuffy and hot. Fortunately, it got cloudy, so it eased off from the high heat index a little bit. They had predicted up to 111F heat index for today, but I don't see that happening unless it gets sunny again. Now I'm crossing my fingers, arms, toes and legs for some rain, we really need it.

Ick on the weather! We're getting a nice cool down here, which is not only a welcome relief from the heat but is helping the fire fighters. The one big fire has jumped to over 40% containment in the last few days. Some rain would be a welcome event, but not likely.

My grandson is being manic with having to stay home all the time (partly from the pandemic and party because it's so hot where they live in Arizona) so I just bought some DVD's of the new interest he has (little einsteins) and shipped those to her. Hopefully they help entertain him. Also picked up a Leap Frog game system as that's what I used with my kids when they were younger and had that direct shipped to them. It's slightly above his age level right now, but it's for either his birthday or christmas (which are in the same month) and if she thinks it'll help entertain him and motivate him to talk more, I wouldn't be upset if they gave it to him earlier. He's been in speech therapy for almost a year now and is making significant progress based on what I saw when I was there in March and what he was doing on the video clip she sent me the other day. His speech is much more understandable and he's actually talking more. So bummed I likely won't get to see him in person again til after the new year. Travel is just not a good thing right now. Although if my husband finally breaks down and agrees to get a new car (ours is on it's last leg) I might consider driving up there. I just don't want to fly. Driving is an 11 hour trip if one doesn't stop so probably a two day project if I'm driving by myself. My husband is ok with driving without stopping. Me, not so much.

Well, it looks like they reduced ( !!! :( ) our rain chances today from 40% to 20, so it's not gong to rain today. But, there are higher chances predicted for tonight and the next few days, so my body parts stay crossed every which way to support the arrival of rain....

Sheila it's funny to think how, if a kid doesn't pronounce a letter correctly (like, at the age they should be able to say it), they get sent to speech therapy. So, if a kid in Finland pronounces "R" like it's said in English, it's straight to therapy till they can roll it properly...LOL!! :D

Here's a normal view of one of our Hummer feeders:

https://ak.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/1058103817/preview/stock-footage-several-ruby-throated-hummingbirds-at-a-nectar-feeder-eating-and-sharing.webm