Sari ONeal

The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

California is starting to burn again, and during a heat wave. The smoke and ash is starting to cool temps down a bit but the air quality sucks. Have to wear a mask inside when I'm downstairs because the smoke is all blowing into the house. If I close the windows, it's too hot to stand being inside so basically a no win situation :(  We had more than 10,800 lightning strikes over the last 72 hrs with the thunder storms that started 367 fires. Some have combined so they're now calling them what ever name they are and then complex fire after the name. It's crazy. one big fire about an hour south of us and another one an hour north of us.

1 hour ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

California is starting to burn again, and during a heat wave. The smoke and ash is starting to cool temps down a bit but the air quality sucks. Have to wear a mask inside when I'm downstairs because the smoke is all blowing into the house. If I close the windows, it's too hot to stand being inside so basically a no win situation :(  We had more than 10,800 lightning strikes over the last 72 hrs with the thunder storms that started 367 fires. Some have combined so they're now calling them what ever name they are and then complex fire after the name. It's crazy. one big fire about an hour south of us and another one an hour north of us.

California isn't the only place on fire!

I was called out to a fire 6:30 Sunday evening, and got home 4:00AM Monday, only to be called out again at *:00AM and was there until 3:00PM, then was called out to a car accident where both cars burned, and one lady died, got home at 4:30 Tuesday morning, and then our power went out at 10:00AM, so I went to see why the generator didn't start, only to get stung by a couple of wasps. Normally not a big deal, but I am allergic to them and with no medicine will go into anaphylactic shock. So popped a couple of benedril quickly, then stabbed myself with a epinephrine doze, and the wife took me to ER. They took the normal vitals, gave me an intravenous doze of steroids, and monitored me for 2 hours. I got home only to see a fire truck rushing down one of the roads to Green Bluff, and said to Susan that cannot be good. We were not in the house ten minutes when afire helicopter was level with our living room window and very close to the house. We got really concerned then, because my pager went off and I was going to another fire, but it was literally 1/4 mile below us, it is about 2 miles by road. I was doing traffic control again, this time watching a fire moving up the hill directly towards my home, with nothing but forest between, so it was more than a bit concerning, having lost one house to a fire. Fortunately the BLM forest fire team, and the DNR fore team and of course the local fire dept were all there, and got it under control. This fire apparently caused by the guy who bought the property 1 month ago, decided to try some 4 wheeling on his property and the catalytic convertor or the muffler was hot enough to start a fire in the grass around his vehicle, so naturally it burned up as well.

So if y'all think you are having a busy 3 days, think on my last 3 days!

Naturally I called dispatch and said I am taking a couple of days off LOL!

Wow Jeff! Glad you're ok! I hope they keep the flames away from your house. I'm sure you worked on defensible space around the property so that'll hopefully help if you were able to get that done. One of the reasons I'm not sure about retiring to a remote area. That and the fact that my husband would prefer a big city. He loves the nightlife scene.

Wow Jeff .... fires are so devastating. Hope you get some rest. Do you guys have fire bunkers? They have been talking about those for here in fire zones. Though realistically that is the whole of Australia, We discovered in the last couple of years that even rainforest can burn. Take care of yourself ok. I am glad your home is ok.

Sheila I think people either love rural or love city. I dont cope with city ... it is too peopley! Take care in that smoke,

Jeff

Sounds like you had a really intense time. Hopefully, you are getting to rest and the fire danger has receded. We border National Forest here in Arizona so fires are always a concern. We are grateful for responders like you who fight them.

Jeff, what you experienced sounds incredibly intense. I hope those fires are brought under control.

I managed to get some blue cellophane to cool down the colour of the light from the desktop lamp a little. My subject for the video shoot was a caterpillar. When I first came across it in the backyard, it was bounding with energy. It was very quick. Probably the most energetic caterpillar Ive ever seen. Unfortunately, when it came time to do the video shoot, it got very sluggish. Though it's energy levels increased a little bit later on. I released it in the afternoon.

I came across this Rowan Atkinson interview which is quite funny. He discusses the negative aspects of being a celebrity when out and about in public.

Glad to say they got the fire under control, all is well now in the INW (Inland North West).

Sheila, thanks, you reminded me that since I have forest on three sides of my property, when the weather cools down, and we have a little rain, I need to work on my defensible space more. I did some work, but need to do more to get rid of the ladder fuel (tall brush and hanging branches) to reduce the possibility of the trees catching on fire, because then you end up with a fire storm.

Patrick, Rowan Atkinson always is amusing.

Jeff, glad to hear things went well and the fire caused no damage to your home or surrounding buildings. I guess it was a learning experience for the moron who moved in behind you. Hopefully he learned from it. Do they fine people for fires that start due to stupidity? I've never paid attention to the details.

The smoke here is not nearly as bad as it is on the city side of the island. Not that it's all that big an island being only about 3 miles wide and 5 miles long, but apparently we get more of a breeze out this way. TG. The air quality sucks over all. Good that I still have a box of the N95 masks from last year. I only used those for big protest events at the beginning of the pandemic then switched to a cloth mask since being outside and social distancing decreased my risk of covid. I haven't shot any protests in over a month now. But I'll be starting back working on Monday. there's a facility in Oakland that actually does 8 hr shifts (I loath the 12 hr shifts) so I can start back in my niche time spot of 3PM to 11PM. That's when my brain functions the best anyway. Hopefully they have parking for employees. Since my husband is working from home and it'd be inconvenient for him to have to give me a ride there. Picking up wouldn't be such an issue since he's "usually" done by then. He started working for a new game company started by one of his cohorts that worked with him at Blizzard previously. He started that job in Feb this year.

On 8/19/2020 at 11:21 PM, Jeffrey B. Banke said:

California isn't the only place on fire!

I was called out to a fire 6:30 Sunday evening, and got home 4:00AM Monday, only to be called out again at *:00AM and was there until 3:00PM, then was called out to a car accident where both cars burned, and one lady died, got home at 4:30 Tuesday morning, and then our power went out at 10:00AM, so I went to see why the generator didn't start, only to get stung by a couple of wasps. Normally not a big deal, but I am allergic to them and with no medicine will go into anaphylactic shock. So popped a couple of benedril quickly, then stabbed myself with a epinephrine doze, and the wife took me to ER. They took the normal vitals, gave me an intravenous doze of steroids, and monitored me for 2 hours. I got home only to see a fire truck rushing down one of the roads to Green Bluff, and said to Susan that cannot be good. We were not in the house ten minutes when afire helicopter was level with our living room window and very close to the house. We got really concerned then, because my pager went off and I was going to another fire, but it was literally 1/4 mile below us, it is about 2 miles by road. I was doing traffic control again, this time watching a fire moving up the hill directly towards my home, with nothing but forest between, so it was more than a bit concerning, having lost one house to a fire. Fortunately the BLM forest fire team, and the DNR fore team and of course the local fire dept were all there, and got it under control. This fire apparently caused by the guy who bought the property 1 month ago, decided to try some 4 wheeling on his property and the catalytic convertor or the muffler was hot enough to start a fire in the grass around his vehicle, so naturally it burned up as well.

So if y'all think you are having a busy 3 days, think on my last 3 days!

Naturally I called dispatch and said I am taking a couple of days off LOL!

Now those were some intense days, good that nothing serious happened to you.

While I have no advice against fire, I would like to share a full proof emergency  treatment for bee/wasp sting that everybody should know about, especially rescue people and those with allergies. It is so simple that people find it hard to believe it works. I am talking about applying ordinary mud over the affected area, it can be found everywhere and it acts instantly, like a charm.

My brother was standing on a high ladder to repair the rain gutter under the roof. He disturbed a wasps' nest and the wasps were swarming above his head and his curly long hair was full of wasps.
I was so scared for him that I remembered this treatment that I already tried in the past successfully but for just one bee sting.
After we got rid of some of the wasps with a comb, I covered all his head with mud and that was life saving. Pain stopped instantly and there were no complication.
With so many stings I don't think he would have made it to the ER and wait for his turn for hours. He never went to the doctor for this, after that.

I hope somebody will remember this when in a dangerous situation caused by stings.

1 hour ago, Whiteaster said:

Now those were some intense days, good that nothing serious happened to you.

While I have no advice against fire, I would like to share a full proof emergency  treatment for bee/wasp sting that everybody should know about, especially rescue people and those with allergies. It is so simple that people find it hard to believe it works. I am talking about applying ordinary mud over the affected area, it can be found everywhere and it acts instantly, like a charm.

My brother was standing on a high ladder to repair the rain gutter under the roof. He disturbed a wasps' nest and the wasps were swarming above his head and his curly long hair was full of wasps.
I was so scared for him that I remembered this treatment that I already tried in the past successfully but for just one bee sting.
After we got rid of some of the wasps with a comb, I covered all his head with mud and that was life saving. Pain stopped instantly and there were no complication.
With so many stings I don't think he would have made it to the ER and wait for his turn for hours. He never went to the doctor for this, after that.

I hope somebody will remember this when in a dangerous situation caused by stings.

You know I had heard this before, for some reason the mud draws out the poison as it dries?

I guess some of the other methods of drawing out the poison like suction cups might also work on individual stings, but I am sure that our resident Nurse Sheila may also have some advice on their use and other possible mitigations. My wife read that they don't like peppermint, but I cannot see walking around smelling like peppermint for the rest of my life LOL!

1 hour ago, Jeffrey B. Banke said:

You know I had heard this before, for some reason the mud draws out the poison as it dries?

I guess some of the other methods of drawing out the poison like suction cups might also work on individual stings, but I am sure that our resident Nurse Sheila may also have some advice on their use and other possible mitigations. My wife read that they don't like peppermint, but I cannot see walking around smelling like peppermint for the rest of my life LOL!

Yes, I've read about many home remedies like onion or ice or peppermint but as you said, you can't have them handy whenever it happens.

I  mentioned this one as an emergency solution because you can always find a little bit of dirt wherever you are.

I know an allergic person who was stung by a bee on his neck in his car and his entire head swelled in minutes. He was saved but the doctor said that next time he won't be that lucky.

It is a very dangerous thing for some.

@Jeffrey B. Banke and @Sheila Fitzgerald and others in the fire zone, I hope you are out of danger by now. Take care!

51 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

Yes, I've read about many home remedies like onion or ice or peppermint but as you said, you can't have them handy whenever it happens.

I  mentioned this one as an emergency solution because you can always find a little bit of dirt wherever you are.

I know an allergic person who was stung by a bee on his neck in his car and his entire head swelled in minutes. He was saved but the doctor said that next time he won't be that lucky.

It is a very dangerous thing for some.

@Jeffrey B. Banke and @Sheila Fitzgerald and others in the fire zone, I hope you are out of danger by now. Take care!

I got stung 2 years ago, and it took about 1/2 an hour for my throat to start closing, having breathing problems and my heart rate dropped to 40.

The mud idea only requires you to carry water with you all the time, which is a good thing anyway, most of us don't drink anywhere near enough, or at least I know i don't 😉

We are pretty safe from flames where we are, but the smoke can sometimes be overwhelming. Today is not bad. I can even see blue in the sky and some fluffy clouds. Yesterday it was just a layer of smoke and horrible air quality. The actual flames are over an hours drive away in all three directions (I say three because the fourth direction is water/ocean so unless there are ships on fire, not likely to get smoke from that direction). Hopefully this offshore breeze continues (hopefully for us, wouldn't be great for the people who live more inland though so kind of a no win situation). Supposed to get more thunder storms in a few days so hopefully no more lightning strikes. We don't have enough resources for the fires we have already. They were saying on the news this morning that more land has burned in the last week than burned in all of the major part of fire season last year. Our biggest concern is the Oakland Hills. That's close enough that it would significantly impact us.

I had heard about using mud on bee and wasp stings too, but never thought to try it out. Last time I was stung was over 20 years ago (knocking on wood). My hand swelled up so bad I couldn't use it for days but the ER said that was a typical response and just take benadryl. I had more of a response from my dive accident when I got pushed against the rocks and stung by sea urchins. The ER doc of course, because I had been diving, first thing he was concerned about was the bends. I kept telling him that wasn't possible as we never went below 20 feet in the area we were in. Finally they gave me a shot of antihistamine and sent me home. Slept the entire day. 

We only have this set of foster kittens for another day. They go back tomorrow by 4:30PM so I'm trying to think of fun different scenes to shoot them in. I keep circling around to the same concepts. I need new material. My brain needs a reboot. I need to build up my greeting card site but the only thing that ever comes to mind are the major holidays and birthdays.

Sheila I commend you for going back to work in these troubling times.

Interesting information Whiteaster, I had not heard that before.

Take care in the fires and smoke guys!

14 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

My brain needs a reboot. I need to build up my greeting card site but the only thing that ever comes to mind are the major holidays and birthdays.

All the very best to you and your loved ones during these terrible fires. Just read that 2,000 year old giant redwood trees are burning 🙁

With regard to your cards and if using the kittens, 'new home' and 'good luck' come to mind. General cards could be engagement, wedding, anniversary, sympathy, 'thinking of you', new job, congratulations, driving test, exams, graduation, thank you, new baby ..I think the kitties may find a place in some of these too 😻

16 hours ago, Studio 2 said:

All the very best to you and your loved ones during these terrible fires. Just read that 2,000 year old giant redwood trees are burning 🙁

With regard to your cards and if using the kittens, 'new home' and 'good luck' come to mind. General cards could be engagement, wedding, anniversary, sympathy, 'thinking of you', new job, congratulations, driving test, exams, graduation, thank you, new baby ..I think the kitties may find a place in some of these too 😻

I agree with Deb ,,,, dont forget "bon voyage" as well

On 8/22/2020 at 4:57 PM, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

We are pretty safe from flames where we are, but the smoke can sometimes be overwhelming. Today is not bad. I can even see blue in the sky and some fluffy clouds. Yesterday it was just a layer of smoke and horrible air quality. The actual flames are over an hours drive away in all three directions (I say three because the fourth direction is water/ocean so unless there are ships on fire, not likely to get smoke from that direction). Hopefully this offshore breeze continues (hopefully for us, wouldn't be great for the people who live more inland though so kind of a no win situation). Supposed to get more thunder storms in a few days so hopefully no more lightning strikes. We don't have enough resources for the fires we have already. They were saying on the news this morning that more land has burned in the last week than burned in all of the major part of fire season last year. Our biggest concern is the Oakland Hills. That's close enough that it would significantly impact us.

I had heard about using mud on bee and wasp stings too, but never thought to try it out. Last time I was stung was over 20 years ago (knocking on wood). My hand swelled up so bad I couldn't use it for days but the ER said that was a typical response and just take benadryl. I had more of a response from my dive accident when I got pushed against the rocks and stung by sea urchins. The ER doc of course, because I had been diving, first thing he was concerned about was the bends. I kept telling him that wasn't possible as we never went below 20 feet in the area we were in. Finally they gave me a shot of antihistamine and sent me home. Slept the entire day. 

We only have this set of foster kittens for another day. They go back tomorrow by 4:30PM so I'm trying to think of fun different scenes to shoot them in. I keep circling around to the same concepts. I need new material. My brain needs a reboot. I need to build up my greeting card site but the only thing that ever comes to mind are the major holidays and birthdays.

I didn't know you did greeting cards! That's what I do too.

Gosh, those fires in California look intense. I saw some footage on the news. 

Speaking of stings, I got stung by two bull ants after I was recording their nest with an endoscope camera. These are very large ants with large manibles on the front end and stings on their abdomen. People have had different reactions to their stings. The second sting that got me delivered more pain than the first one but it wasn't super painful. Pain lasted less than 8 minutes. No swelling. Though another family member said that when she was stung by the same kind of ant, the pain lasted for a week. And apparently, there have been people who have died from these ant stings. 

Here's the endoscope footage I captured:

Oh by the way, I make greeting cards as well but these ones are not sold online. They're hand made and feature my photographs of Kangaroo Island. I would sell them at some markets on the island that cater to passing cruise ships. Though now there are no more cruise ships thanks to this pandemic so that's the end of that. 

Just now, Patrick Cooper said:

Gosh, those fires in California look intense. I saw some footage on the news. 

Speaking of stings, I got stung by two bull ants after I was recording their nest with an endoscope camera. These are very large ants with large manibles on the front end and stings on their abdomen. People have had different reactions to their stings. The second sting that got me delivered more pain than the first one but it wasn't super painful. Pain lasted less than 8 minutes. No swelling. Though another family member said that when she was stung by the same kind of ant, the pain lasted for a week. And apparently, there have been people who have died from these ant stings. 

Here's the endoscope footage I captured:

Oh by the way, I make greeting cards as well but these ones are not sold online. They're hand made and feature my photographs of Kangaroo Island. I would sell them at some markets on the island that cater to passing cruise ships. Though now there are no more cruise ships thanks to this pandemic so that's the end of that. 

Wow, that is amazing footage! And now that you mention the cruise ships, I do remember about your cards. I hope everything gets back on track soon. It's just ridiculous. (Is it 2021 yet?)

Just now, alison1414 said:

Wow, that is amazing footage! And now that you mention the cruise ships, I do remember about your cards. I hope everything gets back on track soon. It's just ridiculous. (Is it 2021 yet?)

Thanks for the compliments! That endoscope camera I used had no internal battery if I recall and had to be connected to a laptop. So in other words, the laptop had to be taken out into the field. I also used it to record another ant nest with a smaller species of ant who were also very territorial. Big mistake! Those ants ventured inside the laptop and it took a while to get them out. 

Oh yea the cruise ship industry is a disaster now. And even when things calm down, people might be hesitant about going on cruise ships as they now have a stigma about them. Some people even refer to them as floating disease carriers. I guess I could still sell my cards through some local stores and there's also a local gallery that would accept them. 

Speaking about California fires - they just said on the news that our sky is hazy from that smoke - and yeah, the sunset was definitely a different color from normal.

It's 1400 miles or so from here to the West coast fires.

Thanks Deb, I wrote down some of the suggestions and bounced some off my dtr for ideas in composition :) The greeting cards used to pay less than stock but now my share is more since the drop in pay here. LOL. Definitely not my main source of income.

Alison, I started doing the greeting cards a few years back. ANother contributor here told me and a few others about the site and i decided to give it a try. their review times are incredibly long right now (going on three weeks now for my last submission) and they're pretty picky but I'm slowly getting the hang of it (I think). I only have a few hundred cards up so I don't make the minimum to double the pay but I'm getting closer each quarter, so that's progress. Make a lot more off the greeting cards than I do on most of the POD sites.

I only heard the redwoods were burning earlier today. Definitely sad. those are old trees. Not replaceable. Resources are stretched pretty thin so just not enough people power to fight all the fires. We have crews coming in from surrounding states and I understand we've sent a request to Australia for help as well, but with the pandemic, I'm sure not as many are keen on responding this year. Plus there are two hurricanes (one hurricane and one tropical storm) that are supposed to hit the East Coast back/back so first responders need to stay in those areas to help with the impending needs of the people living in the affected areas. 2020 sure has been one hell of a year and it's barely half over.

We had a wind shift over night so the smoke was pretty bad here this morning as well, but then it shifted again and we got an offshore breeze this afternoon. Sorry Sari, that's probably what's pushing it your way.

Kittens escaped from their room this afternoon before we took them back. I walked out of my studio room to find two of them in the hallway just looking around exploring and sniffing the carpet. And Sebastian was sitting on the lower half of the stairs about 5 feet from them just watching them like he didn't know what to do. He chases Ariel all the time (and Jasmine too) so I was really surprised he didn't try to chase them and they seemed to be oblivious to him. Even when I started picking them up and putting them back behind the baby gate, he just sat there watching. Thankfully. They're safely back to the shelter now. They're definitely more outgoing than they were when we got them two weeks ago so at least that goal was met.

Sheila, you had a great opportunity to dog proof them, and kitten proof Sebastian, you took them back too early! It's always a bonus for kittens to already be familiar with dogs!

I'm hoping to get some rain from one of the big storms; before they showed up there was no potential for rain for weeks, and I need it already like yesterday, or last week...

Tropical storm Marco was originally expected to go farther west and then up towards north, but it looks to have fizzled out, and it's turning west along the TX coast, so no rain from that one.

Tropical storm Laura is expected to strengthen up to a hurricane after it gets past Cuba, and then hit the coast around TX/LA border. I'm hoping it to go a wee bit farther west so it'd hopefully come up here rather than just skirting by - the west (left) side of the storm never gets the rain that the east (right) side of the storms brings up. But it's still several days away, so it could go anywhere.

They were expecting the two storms to interact to some point, but Marco seems too weak.

Just crossing my fingers for some much needed rain again.

Sari, unfortunately, my hands were tied in terms of time to spend with kittens. They were scheduled for their neuter surgery this morning so I had to have them back in the shelter before closing time the night before so they can do the NPO protocols and make sure they're ready and get transported to the vet. It seems if the kittens don't run, he doesn't chase them. He only really chases Ariel (I think) because she runs. This morning she was perched on the back door step and he went out through the dog door which is in the sliding glass door adjacent to it (the doors are perpendicular to each other as the kitchen protrudes a few yards past the middle room where the sliding glass door is) anyway, she just sat there for a few seconds and he was sniffing her wagging his tail but when she decided he was too close to her face and ran to the cat post 3 feet over on the edge of the landing, he chased her. So I think if she had stood her ground, he would've just tried to lick her at most.

And I hope you get rain without too much destruction. I know you've had quite the dry spell the past few years. We are braced for more thunder storms, but so far, they didn't materialize (supposed to get a wave over night that didn't come) and the weather is cooling down helping the fire fighters too.