Sari ONeal

The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Speaking of freezing hummingbirds in mid flight, have any of you tried using off camera flash? I reckon that could be quite effective if the hummer is in an area of shadow and then balance the flash exposure with the sunlit background.

Oh by the way, someone recorded a hummingbird pool party.

Awesome video capture of the hummer party Patrick! I’ve only ever seen one or two at a time in a bird bath as the humming birds here seem to be more territorial than that. They chase the others away.

Sudden thunder storms here over night which sparked a few more wildfires. Hopefully the small amt of rain we got helped with the fire fighting already going on. Crazy weather. Sebastian wasn’t quite sure what to think of all the water pouring from the skies

Sheila yea amazing footage of the hummers. Almost surreal. Though of course - not my video! I have heard they can be territorial so it's surprising to see so many together. 

Territorial? Nah ;)

multiple-hummingbirds-feeder-some-eating

I have two bird baths, but neither one is very attractive to Hummers, especially after the little pump on the newer one gave out. I've seen the video Patrick posted before, and creating something like that for the birds would be pretty awesome.

1 hour ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Sheila yea amazing footage of the hummers. Almost surreal. Though of course - not my video! I have heard they can be territorial so it's surprising to see so many together. 

Ours are definitely territorial. I've seen one chasing another away on multiple occasions. 

Oh, yes, they are territorial, but they can agree to  co-exist if they want to :D and especially if they NEED to. Late in the evening, or just before a thunderstorm they quit being stupid, and everyone does the thing they need to survive - eat while  they can.

BTW, I noticed a few days ago that we have a leucistic piebald Hummer. The bottom half of her belly is bright white, she has two completely white tail feathers, and she has white feathers on her back. We also have  a male and a female that have a white spot on the front part of their heads. Maybe if I get lucky enough I can get some decent footage of the one with most white.

Unbelievable. I went through some of my CDs last night and found a scan of an awesome lightning storm that was done from a 35mm slide a number of years ago. Multiple branches of fork lightning. And I thought - "Great! Submit it as stock."

Though just now when I zoomed in 100% with Photoshop, I can see lots and lots of vertical lines running all the way down in the scan. The whole image is like this. What the heck?? Must have been a side effect from the ancient scanner that the photo lab used back then. I'm now undecided whether I should submit it or not. I have no idea where the original slide is so for the time being, this flawed scan is the only copy I have of the image. 

I do recall in the past, having a large print made from this image quite a few years ago for an exhibition. Not sure if that was from this particular scan though. I'm pretty sure I couldn't see any lines in the print

There's another odd thing. On that same CD is another scan from a 35mm slide. So I'm assuming that both scans were likely done by the same lab around the same time. Though there are no vertical lines on this second image. 

I'm still researching, but anyone know what kind of duck this is? It's a male because the female was almost all brown similar to a female mallard. This is just a quick screen shot of one of my video clips earlier today.1290478552_ScreenShot2020-08-17at3_03_27PM.thumb.png.6224871a97fc6a3654e36993ea8fa3d1.png

Patrick it is possible the lines were on the slide from the developing process, they dont necessarily show up in the print process but the sensitivity of scanning shows them all too well ... try using noise removing on it. In Photoshop that can be found at Filters > Noise > Dust and Scratches

No clue on the duck Sheila

Wendy, interesting points. The slide was developed by a professional lab so they would have had pretty high quality standards applied. I'll try the Photoshop dust and scratch removal tip. I admit the resolution of this scan is only 2845 x 2198 pixels, 6.06MB so not exactly great resolution. Wish I could find the original slide. The other scan on the same CD is of a landscape image which I submitted to some stock agencies last night. Looks like these scans were done in 2005 (unless they're copies of older files.)

Thanks. I have a few friends on Facebook who are birders, so I’ll probably ask there later. Still haven’t found it. I only have one clip that’s usable anyway so no rush to submit it. The birds were pretty flighty so I had trouble tracking the focus on them.

On an up note, I just had two SOD’s on editorial images for $77 each. That was a nice boost to the month and with the video sale and the few ODD I got today, it makes today’s income over $200. I think that might be my BDE so far. Here’s to more days like this.

Sheila wow Ive never had those kinds of dollar figures on a photo sale through stock. My highest here was about $30 or thereabouts. Sounds like an amazing day in terms of sales.

4 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Sheila wow Ive never had those kinds of dollar figures on a photo sale through stock. My highest here was about $30 or thereabouts. Sounds like an amazing day in terms of sales.

Highest here was less than $100 back when we git paid rather than prostituted ourselves, but on Alamy I had a single sale of $500 for a grizzly bear shot

Just now, Jeffrey B. Banke said:

Highest here was less than $100 back when we git paid rather than prostituted ourselves, but on Alamy I had a single sale of $500 for a grizzly bear shot

Woah! Those kinds of figures are amazing. Yea Ive never had anything like that myself in stock.

Back in 2008, I had a large print from a medium format film transparency which won Second Prize in an art exhibition - netting me $200. That photo also sold at the same exhibition for $230. I also sold another photo at that exhibition for $100. Though the organisers of the exhibition took commissions on the sales so I received less but still my share was a much greater percentage than what we get with stock commissions. I got most of it. 

49 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Woah! Those kinds of figures are amazing. Yea Ive never had anything like that myself in stock.

Back in 2008, I had a large print from a medium format film transparency which won Second Prize in an art exhibition - netting me $200. That photo also sold at the same exhibition for $230. I also sold another photo at that exhibition for $100. Though the organisers of the exhibition took commissions on the sales so I received less but still my share was a much greater percentage than what we get with stock commissions. I got most of it. 

Yes it was great at the time, but I have only had $50 sales since then on Alamy, and not that frequent

Hmmm.....I'm currently setting up a desktop lamp for a video shoot indoors. Lamp will be illuminating the main subject and the background will be lit by overcast light coming in through a large window. Not 100% sure but I believe the lamp has a daylight bulb. I'm going to place a paper towel in front of the lamp to diffuse the light. With the WB set to Cloudy on the camera, a white sheet of paper looks white through the EVF while being illuminated by the lamp. So I guess it's a decent match in terms of colour temperature. However, when I shine the lamp on the main subject, it looks noticeably warm and a bit orange through the EVF. Odd. Perhaps it's not a match after all. I wonder if I can get hold of some blue cellophane to put over the lamp to cool the light down. I'll try the Sunny WB setting as well and see how that looks. 

Nice sums Sheila and Jeff

Patrick that was probably a high resolution scan back in 2005

Try other WB rather than cloudy, try daylight or even tungsten  ... one of them might get close to what you need,

Other than that, shoot RAW and adjust WB in post!

Wendy, I'm trying to balance the colour of the desktop lamp with the sunlight coming through the window and hitting the background so that they both match. Plus I'm shooting video and my cameras don't offer the equivalent of Raw in video mode (I think I'd need a very high end professional video camera for that.) So Ive got to get the WB right in camera. 

To clarify, it's a mixed lighting environment. Even if I did achieve neutral colour from the desktop lamp with the camera's Tungsten WB setting, this would result in the background appearing blue due to the sunlight coming in from the window. The solution would be to place blue cellophane in front of the lamp or replace the bulb with a true daylight bulb. 

Good point about high res scans in 2005!

Unfortunately, the Dust and Scratches option in Photoshop wasn't successful on the storm photo. I hope I can find the slide again one day. 

Patrick, I’ve actually had higher sales here than that, but it’s not very often to be sure. Usually the bigger sales are video. 

We have a power outage today. Very inconvenient. I was in the middle of cooking breakfast in the convection oven. Needless to say, that won’t be very good if it’s a long power outage. Ran out to get fast food instead. Have to use the WiFi from my phone to even get online since the home router is, of course, off. Gotta love the rolling black outs. We haven’t had those since I was a kid in California. Back then, it was just TV time that we lost out on. No big deal. I’d have shut down my computer properly though had I known it was scheduled. They were supposed to do it yesterday but apparently they changed it to today but I didn’t get notice of the change :(

Oh, and I haven’t been checking Alamy much lately. I logged in yesterday and my last two sales there were for a whopping $1 each. I guess they have a new plan for their customers to attract more customers as well. Not so great for the contributors. Although Ive been getting a payout there more often this year. This month will be my third payout from them for the year. The funds don’t always clear in a timely manner so it takes forever to actually get a payout even when one does make the larger sales

And apparently Alamy is having some technical difficulties today. The site was totally down for me earlier, and now it's only giving me one page. Won't let me go to my contributor page. Fun times (not). I only upload there a couple times/month so I'm doing larger batches at a time so I don't log in there every day.