Sari ONeal

The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

3 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Wendy, I think we are all kind of stuck with the arm chair travels for this next year at least. I hope you and yours are doing better over all.

Youngest is going to a "socially distanced" party today. Not sure how I feel about this. She had a friend over the other day to sign her yearbook and after half an hour, she had him in the house. Granted, wearing a mask. But I kicked them both back out into the backyard anyway. SO I made it clear since this was supposed to be at a park and is now at the persons house (because the park doesn't allow larger gatherings outside of immediate families) that if it migrated inside, she was NOT to migrate with them and I expect a phone call to pick her up if that happens. I doubt any of her friends have been exposed but one can never be too careful. Parenting of legally adult teens is a massive PITA sometimes.

Sorry to say Sheila, it does not get any better as they get older, my 45 year old is going through a divorce now, her marriage was a disaster from day one. They split up twice, or rather he wanted to, after he had his little flings with girl friends, but then she ran back to him when he beckoned her, third time is a charm. Unfortunately, they kept having kids along the way, so now there is a 16, a 10 and 7 year old that are going to suffer because of their parents. Guess who was having to listen to the broken heart, the anger, and finance their splitups, by paying for food & rent for months while they were apart, etc.  

Good news is this time she will not go back to the male chauvinist pig,  and will eventually move nearer us, well at least for now she expresses that desire. Unfortunately, not until the kids are grownup and away in college.

Sue and I are going to take a short trip to Glacier Park, she booked us into a hotel outside, but we will make a couple of day trips into the Park, guess I have to blow the dust off my cameras 😉

We are doing ok Sheila  ... Dad is still in his wheel;chair, I doubt that will change now. Hubby has aggravated some ligaments and is back on his crutches. I just plod along lol. Kids ... it does not take much to make them forget what the rules are.

Patrick that is cool .... let us know how that goes

Jeff I understand what you are saying, my boys are 36 and 39 and still  pains in the butt! I always seem to be pulling them out of scrapes or listening to their woes.

Jeff, your daughter is lucky to have you guys there for her and able to actually help her. Glad to hear she's finally come to her senses. Fortunately, so far,  my older two seem to be in stable relationships. And I like the guys they're with. They seem stable and level headed and treat the girls well. I was concerned about my second dtr when she was insistent on staying with her high school boy friend even when he was being a total jerk, but fortunately, that finally came to an end. The guy she's dating now seems to be a much nicer more stable guy. He has regular employment so that's a point in his favor too :) 

Wendy, glad to hear things are going along at a steady pace. 

I haven't mentioned it before because it's been an incredibly long process, but I just got the notice for onboarding for the California Health Corps. They're scheduling it tentatively for a week from today and once I complete that process I'll be "deployed" where I can help in regards to patient care in the pandemic. I signed up  over 3 months ago so I wasn't sure if I'd ever be needed since they had over 80,000 health care workers respond in the first few days and I'm likely right around the halfway mark in terms of where I signed up. So if and when I get an active assignment, I'll obviously be less active here. Not that I' all that active now. I stopped reading the newbie threads some time ago.

23 hours ago, Jeffrey B. Banke said:

16, a 10 and 7 year old that are going to suffer because of their parents

FWIW, the kids are much better off with one parent than growing up in the middle of a messed up relationship between the parents. Also, they can learn from it, if they're smart, to not pick that kind of person for an SO or spouse. Kids are smart and should be treated accordingly.

I was 7 when my parents divorced, and it was THE happiest day of my life up to that point.

We try to ensure them all that there is a safe haven with their grandparents.

Sari, I think that my grand-kids will probably feel the same way as you did since they have been in the middle of this abusive marriage. It is unfortunate however their father has been buying them off and taking them over to his girl-friends house all-day and not returning until 11PM, so my daughter is not allowed to have equal time with the children.

Sari, my oldest dtr married a guy who is from a broken family. And I don't mean that figuratively. I cringe at the interactions between his mom and biological dad. I think he's learned a lot from that and it seems to help with his willingness to communicate with my dtr. It can also damage kids to the point where they don't know how to have a healthy relationship as well.

We are supposed to have another rise in temps this weekend (they call it a heat wave, but since we're coastal, it's not as hot for us, but still warm enough to be uncomfortable since we are used to cooler temps). I'm hoping the offshore breeze continues. My son's bday is this Sunday so I reserved a spot at the zoo for Monday. he'd rather to to an aquarium but he loves animals too so he'll have fun at the zoo instead. It'll be nice to do some animal photography even if they're not totally wild animals. 

Jeff, that sucks that the dad is playing head games. The kids will figure it out eventually, but it's still a nightmare I'm sure for your daughter :(

I hate it when parents play mind games like that, it does not do the kids any favours at all :( doing that sort of thing is child abuse ... can she get one her legal team to help?

The zoo sounds good, I still have not been back to the butterfly sanctuary after my wrong ISO fiasco.

Jeff if it is any consolation the kids see through the garbage eventually ...

Jeff, you were complaining about having to mow your lawn -

you should look into reseeding it with clover - it's much better for pollinators and other insects than the monoculture, low diversity traditional  "lawn" that some people insist on having. Your wife seems to like gardening, so she understands the beauty of nature, and clover lawn would be a definite plus in all aspects. It requires less mowing, doesn't need fertilizing, supports bees and other pollinators (including beautiful little blue butterflies) - the list is long -

https://dengarden.com/gardening/Clover-Lawns

If it was up to me, the traditional lawns should be outlawed, for the support of the nature. ;)

10 hours ago, Jeffrey B. Banke said:

Wendy, I am sure they will eventually, but in the mean time everyone goes through their own hell, and the kids suffer.

I do understand what you are saying, my own kids went through a similar situation in many ways. It is hard road for everyone to travel.

Sari I have seen lots of varieties of alternative lawns and it is an excellent idea. The traditional grasses here can choke out native plants so I am always looking for alternatives, getting rid of planted grasses is harder than it seems too.

Last one

Also had a baby coyote on the cameras yesterday, that's the first I've captured with them.

Had a video sale for one of my night time (infra red) coyotes, and it was much bigger than the "normal" ones, so that was NICE. Too bad it's impossible to get any of the new footage submitted any more as now it's not "good enough" any more -- and yet clients were happy to buy the older stuff that's the same quality?

I have some clover seeds on the way from Amazon. We have uncovered patches of ground in our garden used as the public lavatory by the local cat gang. This will be wildlife friendly ground cover. Thank you for the suggestion @Sari ONeal 😊

Sari, the reviews are very inconsistent. I get clips rejected for noise, dust, what ever when a clip from the same shoot same settings same everything is accepted. I resubmit the rejected footage and it's accepted more often than not. PITA and waste of bandwidth uploading and re-uploading. I wish they'd get their crap together. And then I get some of my shipping images rejected for non-license content. Which is really weird. I can only surmise that they got rejected because the close ups, the AI think is graffitti. 

On an up note, I've sold over 21 images of Kamala Harris since they announced she's Joe Biden's running mate in just the last 20 min or so. I'm hoping today will break my record for number of downloads in one day. I'm already at >40 for today alone and she's at least half of that so far :) 

Typically the footage from my DSLR gets approved, but the trail camera stuff isn't cutting it. It's OK, other places take it gladly.

I'm never going to see my "record for one day" numbers of DLs or anywhere near it. It's been several years since my record, and I can't even get to 50% of it nowadays.

Deb - you're welcome, and thank you for being kind to little critters! :)

Sari, sorry to hear your number of downloads has decreased so dramatically. I did set a new high for number of downloads (although it didn't come close to highest earnings for one day). Ended the day with 74 downloads total with a significant number of those images of Kamala Harris. And already have more of her sold for the next day. Too bad they're all mostly subs. A few ODD and a couple of SOD.

I just don't do the "right this minute" stuff editorials that sell great if you have the right subjects, and that reflects in the sales, of course. I'm not gonna worry about it, as I don't ever see me shooting that type of content.

You need to be in the right place at the right time and have a bit of luck. I did okay with my cruise ship photos when that industry hit a wall as the virus struck. But when I took them I had no idea that was going to happen.

55 minutes ago, Charles Lewis said:

You need to be in the right place at the right time and have a bit of luck.

Yeah, that, and carrying your camera everywhere you go, and / or planning specifically for events / places that will give you the content to shoot.

I don't even remember when I've had my camera "off the farm", LOL!

I think I had my GoPro out once or twice before the virus hit, but my DSLR hasn't been anywhere probably for a year.

I'm not really keen on large crowds, but I do enjoy shooting larger events (for the most part). I don't like being crushed up against the barrier by other people trying to lean in and messing with what I can get because they put arms and phone cameras on extenders in front of me, so I'm much happier doing these events now that I know how to get press credentials. The DNC, I was a nervous wreck about shooting for the first one, but once I did it once, now it's not so intimidating and i feel ok about it. If they have any other large political gatherings like that, I'll definitely shoot them in the future. Plus the fact that I have the credentials for the prior events (the DNC's being big ones) it'll make it easier to cover the rallies, etc when they start back up in four years. I was irked that Biden didn't show up for any of the conventions and I didn't find out about his one rally in the LA area just before the DNC in Long Beach til after the fact or I would've definitely hit that one too. The political events just seem to be good for long term investments for future sales. I didn't do any of the Trump rallies because I hadn't gotten the nerve up back then. I can have mini panic attacks in large crowds where people are violating my personal bubble of space, but they've gotten less severe over the last 5 years or so.

15 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Deb - you're welcome, and thank you for being kind to little critters! :)

You've brought back a really old memory. I was very young in a coach and a group of older girls were singing this song. I have just read that it dates from WWII. (I don't date from WWII)..

lol Deb, I am not WW2 vintage either but we used to sing that on coach trips as well ... it got some severe reprimands from the church group leaders lol!