Sari ONeal

The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Sheila, amazing that thing came out of the kitten's eye. That reminds me of the time that my father was holding a goanna (monitor lizard) with a grass seed in it's eye. This was on the farm on Kangaroo Island. The goanna was a fair size (close to a meter or thereabouts) but it's eye was tiny compared to the grass seed. The grass seed was very thick and was pretty much covering the entire eye. Not a nice sight. I pulled it out and then shortly after, my father set the goanna free. 

Wendy, thanks for the good words on the dolphins photo. Dolphins are so hard to photograph. Even harder from a boat, I find. Though amazing to watch and to be around. Sometimes they swim quite close to the rocks. 

Oh yea I was suspecting that it may have been the Coronavirus that was pushing up the airfare dramatically. I actually haven't looked at any airfares for quite a while. Regardless of what mode of transport I take to Coober Pedy, I definitely wouldn't be part of any itinerary while I'm there. I like my freedom! Though yea good point about stopping on the way with a car trip. I must confess though that even at my age, I actually don't have a driver's license. So I'd have to convince other family members to tag along if I did want to go by car. 

And another thing - I think I would prefer to go to Cooby Pedy after I get hold of an rc quadcopter that can be used to record decent quality aerial video. Some time back, I was using a cheap action camera strapped to an MJX Bugs 3 Pro GPS quadcopter. That's what I used in Bali to record some aerial clips. Though a few months go, I had charged up the battery and only had this quad up in the air for about 1 - 2 minutes when it seemed to lose power and dropped out of the sky from a fair height. Not sure if I could trust it again.

8 minutes ago, Jeffrey B. Banke said:

Patrick, can't you get new batteries for the drone? I did for mine, now have 4?

Jeff, I probably could. Though these are proprietary batteries -unique and specially designed for this particular drone. And thus - probably expensive. Though regardless, the battery was fully charged. So the drone likely has a fault of some kind. Maybe an electronic problem but who knows. If it's dropped out of the sky once, chances are it could do so again. 

By the way, I saw another whale today. This one had it's fin in the air and was bring it down hard on the water and splashing around. Ive never seen a whale so active before in real life. I got some more shots with the 600mm mirror lens. It was really hard to manually focus at one point (when it was really active.) Though I think I managed to get better focus later on when it had calmed down a bit. 

Yea PAtrick most of the batteries are proprietary, mine are, but I managed to pick some up before they got too scarce since the company went out of the business.

Hey cool on the Whale and the 600mm shots!

My biggest lens is the 400mm f2.8, and if I put the 1.4 or 2x extenders on it, I just am not satisfied with the results, so have to content myself with either getting closer or cropping the 36Mp down to something smaller.

6 minutes ago, Jeffrey B. Banke said:

Yea PAtrick most of the batteries are proprietary, mine are, but I managed to pick some up before they got too scarce since the company went out of the business.

Hey cool on the Whale and the 600mm shots!

My biggest lens is the 400mm f2.8, and if I put the 1.4 or 2x extenders on it, I just am not satisfied with the results, so have to content myself with either getting closer or cropping the 36Mp down to something smaller.

Thanks

I have the Nikon 80-400mm and the 1.4 convertor. I'm happy with the whale shot for myself but it isn't as good as I would have liked. Partly because it was hand held at full stretch and partly because I never knew where the whale was going to reappear so I didn't have time to get the lens really stabilized. I took some shots of the local foxes with it and they came out really well but I was able to stabilize it on my deck railing and the foxes behaved themselves by staying relatively static.

When I was on my Alaska cruise, a couple of the guys were using beanbags on top of the deck railing to stabilize their lenses. Once we can travel again that might be a good investment.

I have used bean bags for about 50 years, they are particularly useful on Safari's in Africa where you need to rest lenses on the roof of the vehicle. Particularly good with big, heavy lenses that need support, but you do not want them to move. Sometimes use 2 one under the lens, and another the camera body.In fact our driver Frank on the last Safari provided me with one that he got to provide his clients with one after I had used one two years earlier with him on safari. He stopped by to purchase the beans to fill it, because he wanted me to determine how many beans were necessary to fill it to be useful. That way he knew for the future clients.

You can of course fill a bag with other things like sand (but it is not good if it leaks and gets in camera equipment), or one could use lead shot, but it is much heavier, the peanut type poly-foam stuff is too light and gives too much. I guess one could use peanuts or something like that, but beans are pretty commonplace and you can find them in any market in Africa, (or anywhere else in the world for that matter) so if you take your own bag, you can find the filler easy enough.

Oh, and yes Patrick, the 2.8 lens I bought was used, but in excellent condition, and cost more then my D800, about 2x, new they are $10,000

I don't know why I didn't think of bringing empty bags and getting beans on location. I just cart stuff with me. Doh. LOL. My biggest lens is the 200-400 and it's a bear to hold and focus. The weight of that with the weight of the camera make hand held shots difficult for me because I have less than stellar upper body strength, so I almost exclusively use a tripod or brace it when I'm shooting. The car door makes a good solid object for it to sit on as well :) 

Jeff, I love looking at your Africa shots. Someplace i'll likely never go. I still want to go back to France and Italy and hit Ireland this time around (we went to London, France and Italy with the kids a few years back). That was before I was shooting for stock though so I missed a lot of good opportunities. C'est la vie. Given the travel restrictions, I'm guessing it'll be awhile before we get a chance to go back to Europe though. We talked about renting a trailer and driving cross country, but now even trailers are short in supply.