Sari ONeal

The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Steve, thanks for the good words! So you reckon this is the Isabella caterpillar that turns into the Tiger Moth? I notice Wikipedia states that the Isabella Tiger Moth is native to the US and Canada. I'm surprised it doesn't mention Australia because the ones over here look so much like it.

Actually, my father was an entomologist and I asked him many years ago what these caterpillars turn into after metamorphosis and surprisingly, he didn't know.

Hiya Steve! :)

Patrick - we have woolly bear caterpillars here, and when you try to ID them, they're never the same color combo that you see in pics for ID. You also have to remember that many (if not all?) caterpillars change color as they grow, each instar is different from the previous one. So you may be seeing a different instar in front of you than the one in your ID source, and it may be the same one, just a different instar.

Ive done some more research and it seems that the woolly bear caterpillars over here are Spilosoma glatignyi. And they also turn into a moth which has the common name of tiger moth (in this case the Glatigny's Tiger Moth.) There do seem to be a number of unusual coincidences. Comparing the Australian and American woolly bear caterpillars, they both have a striking resemblance to each other and they both share the same common name. Both curl into a ball when threatened. And they both turn into moths which also have the same common name (the tiger moth.) And yet they are completely different species and genus. I do admit though that the adult forms (the moths) do look very different from each other. Very interesting.

Stevemart. You just taught me a new word. 'Apeirophobia' - fear of infinity. You are on the wrong thread. The Hummer Thread is infinite.

Dunno where I found that word but it seemed appropriate as I shoot almost everything at short distances! Apparently, it's got more to do with the fear of eternity/death than the fear of infinite distance in the literal sense! I'm old so it seemed OK!

This is a great website. There is a UK version too. A member of my family just 'grew' some butterflies to release with the help of her little girls:

https://www.insectlore.com/

Great to see the forums have been repaired. I have been reading on and off, but it's too much time and effort to go through those multi step processes to be able to post, so I figured it was just the universes way of weaning me off the addiction. At least for awhile.

You've been busy there with the videos Sari. Always love to see all the wildlife you are treated to.

We've had another bout with credit card fraud and currently trying to get a lid on it. They some how got the replacement card before I did (I still haven't gotten it) and they started charging that up. Fortunately, I have my card set up to send alerts so we were able to get a lid on it before it got out of control. But that means right now I don't have access to any credit cards either and the boy has his eye exam in a few days, so I guess I'll have to take the checkbook. They tend to prefer the contactless payments but what can I do if I don't have one right now. More than a little frustrating :( 

Wow can finally post again .... that took long enough.

Patrick re the wooly bear caterpillars  ... I found a nest of them at the base of a tree when I was gardening a couple of years back but the images were not accepted ... they are somewhere in my archives now.
Love your spider tee-shirt ... the shadow gives it extra fimension I reckon!

Sari fabulous trailcam footage as usual.

15 hours ago, Studio 2 said:

This is a great website. There is a UK version too. A member of my family just 'grew' some butterflies to release with the help of her little girls:

https://www.insectlore.com/

lol Debbie you are so right ,,,

Woa Sheila, CC fraud is scary .... at what point did they get hold of the cards or numbers ... there seems to be a failure on the part of the bank ...

nothing much happening here, Dad and I have severe colds .... not the dreaded Covid stuff as we dont have it locally (thank goodness). The exponential number of cases down south has taken the national toll higher than it was in the "first wave". We are not sure if this is still part of the first wave or if it is the predicted second wave. It is now over 6 months since the first diagnosed case in Australia.

I have just spent 3 days sorting out my keyword list ... that was a silly job to start, but once I started it I had to finish it, there are 6500 words in the list ,,, and of course it will grow over time as these things do lol!

Yeah, I figured I might as well do some compilations. It's raining so I can't go shoot outside anyway. I LOVE that rain, I hope it keeps on, it was getting SO DRY and crunchy in the pasture, some places were dreadfully dry. I hope this helps a bunch. We're had a little over 2.5" since yesterday morning, and most of that rained overnight / this morning, we only got some light rain yesterday.

And yeah, that CC stuff is truly scary, I hope you get it sorted out ASAP and that the bank keeps it straight from here on, that's just nuts. Dayum 😐

Patrick - yeah, that spider shirt is pretty cool. That shadow looks good on it.

Wendy - ugh, I hope you both get over the cold. Speaking of the dang virus, Oklahoma is breaking their own records on new cases nearly every day - people are just being plain stupid about it, and it shows :(

Welcome back Sheila and Wendy.

Sheila, the credit card fraud sounds pretty serious. So you reckon the new card was delivered to the fraudster? That's crazy. 

Wendy, thanks for the good words on the spider t-shirt! Someone on an arachnid forum reckons that the shadows are in the wrong place because when it's worn outside, the shadows cast by the sun would be in the opposite direction. I can see their logic. I could flip the image but I'm too used to seeing it as it is with the original orientation. 

Great find on the woolly bear caterpillars at the base of the tree. Are they a common or uncommon sight in Queensland these days? They are rare in SA these days. Though last year, I came across three of them which is amazing.

Speaking of Covid, it's amazing how bad Victoria has gotten. It sounds like the number of infected cases over there are sky rocketing. I can see the border is going to be shut for a very long time. And what's with the stupid Victorians trying to sneak across the border into SA? Madness. I'm not saying all Victorians are stupid - just the individuals who are trying to secretly get across. I hope all those who try that are caught and dealt with appropriately. I certainly don't want SA to end up the same way as Vic. 

Sari, more great trail camera compilations. Gosh, one of those coyotes clearly had an injured leg. I also learned that coyotes can be playful! Also cool with the squirrel hopping away from the camera. And very nice that you got some more bobcat action.

Glad you liked the spider t-shirt. I look forward to wearing it again when the weather gets warmer. Opinions are very divided on those shadows - it's about 50 / 50. 

Wendy, they seem to have gotten the card immediately when it was shipped if not before because they say it was mailed on Saturday morning and the first charges started showing up on Saturday. I got a text alert for possible fraud and didn't even recognize the card number they were referring to (as they state the last four digits on the card with alerts) and so I called in. According to the fraud intake person, the card was still in transit with UPS. Not a good review of UPS security. I usually ship USPS or FedEx. Definitely not going to use UPS anymore. The person I spoke with yesterday in followup said the card was still in transit and should arrive to us by 9PM PST yesterday. It did not arrive. She issued another replacement card and still waiting on the status on that. In the meantime, I upped my security settings on the account so an access code has to be entered anytime my account is accessed and that number is texted directly to my phone, so hopefully that'll be improved security. Running errands today was a massive PITA because I had to make sure I had cash on me for grocery shopping, etc. And tomorrow my son has his eye exam, so I'll have to bring the checkbook for that one as I don't want to carry that much in cash. It's been a few years since we've had significant fraud issues. It totally sucks.

Sari I do not understand why people are not taking this virus seriously. The reality is that nobody has immunity to it so the only way to stamp it out is to stop the spread. The cold is taking a bit of recovering, nearly 2 weeks now. Poor Dad is not well at all and at 87 that is always a cause for concern. The probability is that it is something like this that will take him out as his lungs are crappy!

Awesome on getting some rain, hope you get enough of the right sort that does good.

Patrick I am not seeing many caterpillars of any sort right now. The weather has been weird and not conducive to breeding.
As for Covid-stupid ... its not just into SA. The actions of people coming north have been stupid too. We have had 200 people who were supposed to be in self quarantine who have disappeared into the woodowrk. Then there are those who are lying on their border crossing forms .. and did you see the idiot who tried to cross by hiding in the boot of a car .... good grief! Even some of our politicians are morons ... we have no current infections here ... so they said we should open the borders up to kick start the economy ... ummm ... and let people in who may or may not have the infections because they are from one of the areas that has the pox???? The only way to get rid of this virus is to starve it out of existence ....

Sheila, I dont know about over your way but here the cards have to be activated before they can be used ... the extra code is good, but here that would not work, because if I am using the card from home there is no cell phone coverage and I would not get the txt. It sounds like they need to improve their procedures.

Apparently I dont know how to take photos anymore  ... my entire batch got rejected ....

Bummer on the entire batch being rejected. Most of my rejections are for similar content. Frustrating. As for the cards, yeah. they have to be activated from a known number associated with the account. That's one of the questions I've asked them when I called but they had no answer for me. My husband says it's easy enough for people to clone a number to activate the card. But obviously "I" didn't activate it when the tracking number shows it's still in transit with UPS.

Sari, great news on the rain. I know you have been needing it for some time.

I've been reading but not really keeping track of all the conversations. Brain is a bit scattered right now with all the chaos.

Wendy, I just heard the latest news from Queensland. I believe that previously, Queensland was largely virus-free, right? Apparently, two 19 year old women returned from Victoria and lied at the border about where they had been. Both of them were tested positive for the Coronavirus and had been interacting with the local community for eight days since their return. 

And gosh, the person hiding in the boot of the car is just as bad.

What on earth is wrong with these people??? We're all going to suffer because of people like that. 

Sheila, I hear a lot of people are getting those similar content rejections. I'm not submitting here anymore but when I was, I never got any rejections for similars. I guess I was lucky with that one.

Sheila I hear what you are saying about being scattered ...

Patrick we were pretty much virus free in Queensland, till today ... apparently some teenagers who lied about where they came from and then did not quarantine as they were supposed to, tested positive and have passed it around and TPTB are now doing contact checking. If someone dies because of their stupidity, then I hope they get charged with at least causing grievous bodily harm. People like that are just going to cause us to have restrictions for longer. 
Did you see the woman in Victoria who tried to get into Bunnings and was told she could not enter without a mask, she said it did not apply to her. When told that it did unless she had a medical certificate, she said they were discriminating against her. Then threatened to sue the retail worker personally. There are some bush lawyers around.

Wendy yea that's what I mentioned above with the two 19 year old women re-entering Queensland.

By the way, I saw another whale yesterday. It was a long way off over the breakwater by the jetty. It was spouting / exhaling a lot. Doing so at regular intervals. Though when I made it to the jetty, it had gone. 

Patrick I missed we were talking about the same thing .. woops

How wonderful to see the whale, I have only seen them on whale watching tours. That was fabulous fun, especially when one swam under the boat. The tour I did with Dad there were so many people seasick that Dad and I went up the top of the boat outside or the smell would have made us sick too. I did not think it was even rough weather lol! The first tour I did I was busy taking pictures and all of a sudden I hear clunk, clunk, clunk, splash ... someone dropped their camera overboard .... never to be seen again!

21 minutes ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Patrick I missed we were talking about the same thing .. woops

How wonderful to see the whale, I have only seen them on whale watching tours. That was fabulous fun, especially when one swam under the boat. The tour I did with Dad there were so many people seasick that Dad and I went up the top of the boat outside or the smell would have made us sick too. I did not think it was even rough weather lol! The first tour I did I was busy taking pictures and all of a sudden I hear clunk, clunk, clunk, splash ... someone dropped their camera overboard .... never to be seen again!

We have friends who have a timeshare at Poipu on the island of Kauai (Hawaii) and last January we were invited to stay with them for a week. Anyway, one evening we join a crowd of people on the shore to watch the sunset. However, instead of the sunset we got this:

L0sF0u.jpg

7 minutes ago, Wendy Townrow said:

awesome Charles!!!!

That was taken from the beach. I had my 400mm plus 1.4 extender so I was at 550mm (also ISO 400). Then I had to crop it a bit. But what a show that Humpback put on for us! The tough bit was that you never quite knew where he/she was going to reappear but I still got three shots of it.