Sari ONeal

The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Gardening and anything to do with it is one of my least pleasures, I spent 2+ hours mowing the grass on the side of the driveway. Like having a driveway 1/2 kilometer long, it keeps the riff-raft out, but it is work and it is warming up now (80+F, 27+ Celsius). After that I spent an hour working on the sprinkler system, trying to make it better. Seems hard to keep  a lawn looking nice, although we had a wet year and it looked great for a couple of months, but the soil here loses water so fast it is hard to keep the lawn looking nice in the summer.

Motocross or horses on a golf course would be one way to make oneself very unpopular, if one didn't end up with an enormous bill and jail time.

Never seen a snake on a golf course, but once hit a buck in the head with a golf ball from about 250 yards, knocked him to the ground momentarily, he got back up shook his head and looked around, never did find the ball. Also had a groundhog run out of a hole, run over and grab my ball and take it back down his den.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey B. Banke said:

one way to make oneself very unpopular

Unpopularity would never make me think twice, not like it would change anything...LMAO!!!! :D  :D  :D

It's been the typical July weather here - above 100F heat index pretty much every day. Rain would be nice - again.

I don't mind garden chores, I usually get to that in the morning after I've fed the horses and checked the trail cams.

Patrick considering how much it costs to make those set ups I dont think a motorcycle rider would be very popular at all.

Sheila the only time I have come across that is if something has been removed so that is probably what happened. My workforce I normally activated has joined the injury department apparently, he fell the other night and thinks he cracked his ribs. I am not going to have to try and activate another helper as the gutters need cleaning before we get more rain. I am also annoyed that my roofer guy has not finished the job yet. (it is half done)

Jeff we have some interesting golf courses here. You can come across crocodiles locally, in Brisbane there is a course that has Bull Sharks in the water hazard. Goannas love to steal the balls (they think they are eggs and try to eat them), I have had a bird try to steal my ball once. Mostly I just lose balls in the rough, never to be seen again.
As for you grass it sounds like you need to either get drought tolerant grass or improve the soil so that it retains water better.

Sari I am sure you would take great delight in riding on the course then patiently explain that you were trying to help by adding fertilizer and you are sorry that they were so ungrateful lol.
Ugh on the heat though.

8 hours ago, Jeffrey B. Banke said:

Also had a groundhog run out of a hole, run over and grab my ball and take it back down his den.

Jeff, that would make great stock footage!

Wendy, golf courses in Queensland sound amazing with all those predators lying in wait. That would certainly make a game of golf more exciting!

I thought I had again reached the point where contacts were no longer feasible for me to wear since I've had one go behind my eye twice in the last few months, the last time requiring the optomotrist to retrieve it for me. Went for my regular eye exam today and found out the reason for this problem. The stigmatism on my right eye has doubled. So the round contact just doesn't hug my oblong shaped eye. Amazingly enough, they have contacts for this issue too. So I now have a new set of contacts that actually fit and are comfortable. I know this is a ridiculous thing, but, taking photos is sooo much easier for me without having to deal with glasses (especially now with the added mask, which makes said glasses fog up almost instantly). Looking forward to my next outdoor photo session now :) 

Sounds like a nice solution there, Sheila!

I'm still having the battle with glasses, off or on, depending on camera, and sometimes off anyway because glasses are so hard to work with.

I haven't had a fogging problem with them with a mask on, but I never need to have one on when shooting anyway; the upside of just shooting around the house :P

1 hour ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

I thought I had again reached the point where contacts were no longer feasible for me to wear since I've had one go behind my eye twice in the last few months, the last time requiring the optomotrist to retrieve it for me. Went for my regular eye exam today and found out the reason for this problem. The stigmatism on my right eye has doubled. So the round contact just doesn't hug my oblong shaped eye. Amazingly enough, they have contacts for this issue too. So I now have a new set of contacts that actually fit and are comfortable. I know this is a ridiculous thing, but, taking photos is sooo much easier for me without having to deal with glasses (especially now with the added mask, which makes said glasses fog up almost instantly). Looking forward to my next outdoor photo session now :) 

wow that is awesome, I wish I could wear contacts but lack of tear production and contacts just dont work. I hear what you are saying about glasses fogging up with a mask on ... makes it very awkward,

1 hour ago, Sari ONeal said:

Sounds like a nice solution there, Sheila!

I'm still having the battle with glasses, off or on, depending on camera, and sometimes off anyway because glasses are so hard to work with.

I haven't had a fogging problem with them with a mask on, but I never need to have one on when shooting anyway; the upside of just shooting around the house :P

Sari I have to wear my glasses even shooting in the house, I cant see a darn thing otherwise. I have discovered though that when I dont wear myt glasses everything looks like an abstract painting lol The glasses go on when I get up and stay on till I go to bed.

31 minutes ago, Jeffrey B. Banke said:

Your glasses only fog up because of your heavy breathing LOL!

Glad they have a solution for the problem.

lol Jeff :)

LOL. You guys are too funny. I think it's probably because I'm more inclined to breath through my mouth when wearing a mask rather than my nose. I feel like I get more air that way.

Wendy, I need to use eye drops too, but that wasn't helping with the other contacts. Of course, now I know why, it makes sense. But I keep the individual packets in my pocket so when they get dry or itchy, I can put in some eye drops to help. The itchy is more from allergies. And trying not to rub eyes of course, especially now with all the covid issues.

Rob - the famous Georgia summers, eh?

I'd like to have some of that rain y'all are getting! My grass is getting crispy :(

EVERYONE - to get your browser to be able to post here, disable Javascript on it. Google for instructions, every browser has the setting in a different place.

Someone must have broken the forum..........

I'm not generally one for conspiracy theories. After all, if SS wanted to 'nobble' the forum, why leave a back door into it? Probably someone effed up when making a mod to the code.

Yes not a long term solution but a workaround for now (thanks Igor). You'll need to turn back on / toggle javascript as a lot of stuff you normally see on your browser goes MIA. I can just leave the javascript page up on Firefox and toggle on and off as needed. I also submitted two requests to support to report a bug in the forum and none of the responses were helpful.

It's good to be back. Yes Sari, Charles and Steve, something very fishy is going on here.

By the way, I came across a hairy bear caterpillar recently. Caterpillars are very rare these days in my state of South Australia. They used to be very common when I was growing up and you'd see all sorts of different species. It's a real shame what has happened to them. I did a photo session with the pillar I found a few days ago. And also did a video shoot of it on another day and then released it into the wild. I wish I could post a photo of it but the image is on a competing stock site and I guess SS wouldn't be too happy if I posted a link.

Some time back, I had a t-shirt printed with one of my photos of a spider. It's a white tailed spider which I photographed with my father's macro lens. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to keep the shadows on the shirt or not. The t-shirt company convinced me that it would be a good idea to get rid of them and that their graphic designer could do this for free. I agreed though when I received the t-shirt in the mail, I noticed that the shadows were still there. Actually, some people like the shadows and others don't so I get a mix of opinions on it. Ive uploaded some photos of the shirt to Shutterfly which I'll share here.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realise that you had to be signed in to Shutterfly in order to view the photos. I'll try and upload them to another site tomorrow that allows public access without signing in. It's past midnight here so I'm heading to bed now.

Sari, yea I was considering putting the photos on Imgur but after reading their terms, I'm a bit hesitant. According to their terms, they have the right to use and distribute photos that you upload and create derivative works from the content. And the term 'use' is pretty vague. Use it for what? The problem is that I'm finding that most of these photo sharing sites have very similar terms with almost the same wording in relation to what they can do with your images.

As for the caterpillar, all I have is the common name - the woolly bear caterpillar. I tried searching for the scientific name online but surprisingly, I didn't have much luck (looking at Australian species.) I thought I did find it at one stage (having the same common name) but looking at the photos, the specimens displayed looked a bit different to my pillar. Though they were somewhat similar. Though interestingly, mine looks a lot like a species of caterpillar which resides in some states of the US. And it even has the same common name - the woolly bear. Actually, our ones look just like yours except that yours has distinct bands of different colours in the hairs. I believe yours is the Pyrrharctia isabella. The common name for the adult form is the Isabella Tiger Moth. Can't really be certain if it is the same species as mine though I guess it's likely that it is the same genus or family.

Something very exciting occurred this morning. There was a whale hanging around. I happen to live close by the ocean so it's great seeing marine life like this. The whale was fairly close and most of the time, it was staying in one spot. I grabbed my old 600mm mirror lens which I used to use on my 35mm film SLRs. On my M4/3 camera equipment, the field of view of this lens is more like a 1200mm on 35mm format. I got a number of images but when I started shooting, I made a foolish mistake. I tried to take a photo and I didn't realise initially that the camera was in video mode. It ended up recording an extremely brief video clip of one second in duration. And that was the only time you could see the shape of it's tail fin. And my shutter speed was pretty high so not really appropriate for video (of course I thought I was taking a photo.) I switched it to the still photo mode after that and took a bunch of photos. I could extract some still images from this brief bit of video footage but as it was HD resolution, it would make for pretty small prints and stock agencies wouldn't accept this. One possible workaround would be to incorporate one of the video frame grabs into a montage along with three or more photographs of the same whale. I have seen photo montages on stock sites before so this could well work.

Okay, finally I can share some photos of the t-shirt which features my white tailed spider photograph. I wore this very same t-shirt to an Alice Cooper concert where I received a media pass to shoot the show.

And for those who are wondering, that green text is a watermark which I added to the photos. It's not on the shirt itself!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189443307@N05/50154009061/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189443307@N05/50153460263/in/dateposted-public/

If the turn-off were intentional, it will surely deter sufficient people from posting for a long enough period that it can be restored to its former glory at some point in the future. Mustabin an anathema to the PTB having this den of dissent at the heart of the contributor site.

Stevemart, I have a feeling that this may be the last time we can post here before the working week starts. Of course I may be wrong and it might be just a bug.

And here's the woolly bear caterpillar I photographed recently.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189443307@N05/50153942248/in/dateposted-public/