Sari ONeal

The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Sari, that was great that playgrounds in your area had stilts to try out. What a great incentive. There seem to be two main types of stilts. One of them has foot-rests which you can jump off if you need to and your hands are required to grip on to the stilts to help move them. The other kind has your feet strapped on to the foot-rests and your hands are free. If I recall correctly, I had a go with the second kind. I'd like to build some out of wood some time.

Sheila, oh cool on the juggling. I used to juggle balls in the past and could do it quite decently. But I'm really bad at it now largely because I'm so out of practise. I was also learning how to juggle clubs and more or less got the hang of that. I'd like to start juggling clubs again but mine have disappeared. I'll have to order some clubs online. 

I had the kids stilts when I was young ....  it was fun. Never tried the other sort. I believe there are tradesman stilts these days as well.

Patrick I saw that image of the guard passed out ... h stayed at attention even though he went down which was amazing discipline.

Jeff, heat and humidity is hard to take.

Sari sorry to hear you did not get enough rain.

As for heat stroke, water is not the best thing, you need to drink electrolytes, as the main problem besides losing fluid, is the loss of salts that the body needs to function. Water is the second best thing and dont drink anything that will increase your dehydration.

Tried stilts as a kid, not for me! I didn't like pogo sticks either. I prefer to stand on terra firma!

Sheila, sounds like you've been having a run of bad luck, but thank goodness it wasn't worse :o

I can juggle too! Learned years ago when I got rained off at work, I'd juggle while sheltering for something to do, I get bored easily. Learned partner juggling with a friend too. I gave up after 10 years at it, she carried on. I'm rubbish now, she's amazing. I tried clubs but that was just before I stopped juggling altogether so never got good at that. I did really enjoy it, there are so many tricks you can do. May be I should take it up again, it is good exercise constantly picking up dropped balls LOL. 

Linda yes, take up juggling again! And you can relive that fun again. Oh and with regards to picking up dropped balls, I notice many jugglers get into the bad habit of leaning over and bending their backs. And of course over time, their backs are going to suffer. I'd like to get back into juggling myself but we're going to have to promise each other to use good form / straight backs when picking up balls or clubs!

Wendy yes, Ive seen those metal stilts used by tradespeople. They look very robust. 

Sheila, that was a good stroke of luck!

Linda the only time I drop balls is when playing golf :-)

Patrick, I guess that juggling is good for eye/hand coordination.

LOL Jeff. Are you even having enough time to get any golf games in? Doesn't sound like that's been on your schedule much lately.

Juggling definitely is good for eye hand coordination. You don't actually watch the balls when you juggle though. One has to work up symmetry in the tosses so they land in the same area and you watch one point in front of you and use more peripheral vision to watch the balls. I can still juggle two balls with one hand on the right side, not so much on the left side, but three balls and my precision is way off from lack of practice. If I try and throw balls now, the dog will steal them and he's not so great at returning. Or I should say, he'll come back with the ball, but he won't give it to you. He wants you to take it from him, which includes chasing him to get it (which I don't do). LOL. I need to work on training him in my studio more. He is getting better at following commands for treats, but not well enough that i trust him on my table in the studio. And sitting on the floor to take photos, he'd never stay in one spot for that. He'd want to be in my lap.

On 7/15/2020 at 6:06 PM, Linda Bestwick said:

Tried stilts as a kid, not for me! I didn't like pogo sticks either. I prefer to stand on terra firma!

Sheila, sounds like you've been having a run of bad luck, but thank goodness it wasn't worse :o

I can juggle too! Learned years ago when I got rained off at work, I'd juggle while sheltering for something to do, I get bored easily. Learned partner juggling with a friend too. I gave up after 10 years at it, she carried on. I'm rubbish now, she's amazing. I tried clubs but that was just before I stopped juggling altogether so never got good at that. I did really enjoy it, there are so many tricks you can do. May be I should take it up again, it is good exercise constantly picking up dropped balls LOL. 

Linda my son learned how to juggle scarves, now that is a challenge!

22 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Wendy yes, Ive seen those metal stilts used by tradespeople. They look very robust. 

They are Patrick, and much more versatile than going up and down a step ladder.

13 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Linda, discovered the repair on the BBQ is covered under the warranty I didn't know I had so no charge for the repairs. So not as bad luck as one would think :D 

Wow that is good news!

12 hours ago, Linda Bestwick said:

Wow, that's great news Sheila! :D

LOL Patrick, yes, I promise! I shall use my knees and think of you every time I drop the balls. Can I say that? It sounds so wrong :ph34r:

lol Linda ....

10 hours ago, Jeffrey B. Banke said:

Sheila, that was a good stroke of luck!

Linda the only time I drop balls is when playing golf 🙂

Patrick, I guess that juggling is good for eye/hand coordination.

Jeff .... I always thought dropping balls in golf was cheating :)

Linda, he's getting better, but it's sometimes hard to do ANYTHING with a dog around. LOL. He knows better than to touch my crochet work though. I tend to do that sitting in bed and he'll jump on the bed and look at the box but after the first couple times, he hasn't touched them at all (I only had to be firm in my NO command the first couple times and he seems to understand that that's totally off limits). On the flip side, if my husband tells him no, he doesn't believe him and keeps doing what ever it is he wants to do :D 

Getting so many green beans and snow peas that I'm starting to freeze them so they don't go bad before we can consume them. I didn't realize the vines would just keep producing after you pick the first crops. My covid gardening learning experience. LOL. Finally got another case of 8 ounce mason jars and finished making the last batch of Raspberry jam last night for the season as well. They've been out of the 8 ounce size in stores for a few weeks now so I finally just ordered a case from Amazon.

Jeff oh indeed - juggling is good for eye - hand coordination. You've got to accurately throw balls or clubs into specific but imaginary points in the air as Sheila mentioned. And keep your eyes glued on those imaginary points that you're visualising. With juggling, you're trying to be Ambidextrous.

Linda, I had to have a double take when you mentioned dropping the balls!

Speaking of juggling clubs, I guess if you're feeling extremely confident, ya could also have a go at juggling knives or fire sticks. Though one thing I will never do is juggle running chainsaws. That is truly insane. 

Sheila all that fresh food sounds great, lol on Sebastian not listening to your hubby, I guess he figures you are boss!

Patrick as far as I am concerned juggling chain saws is beyond insane, I have seen what damage they do to bodies!

Patrick, funny the ambidextrous thing, I shoot guns with both hands, throw darts, play table tennis, and a few other things with either hand, but cannot for the life of me think I can juggle.

Wendy, dropping balls in golf is what you have to do if you are on a sprinkler head, or go into a lake/ditch or something like that.

Jeff, I reckon anyone can juggle if taught how. And seeing that you are comfortable using both hands for a variety of things, I think that you would have an advantage. I admit that I'm not exactly great at catching or throwing balls in general but even I learned how to juggle. A woman (who is a very good juggler in her own right) was able to teach me in less than 20 minutes. I have a younger brother who is extremely good at sport and is a natural at catching and throwing balls so he took to juggling really quickly when I taught him. Many years later, he can still juggle really well whereas I am currently really bad at it (despite me being the one who taught him.) 

I still know the basic principles about how you juggle (I'm just really hopeless at it these days.) I used to be decent years ago. I might actually order some juggling balls and start again. Though I'll start with the very basics like a beginner - starting with one ball and progressing to two and then later three. And I'd really like to juggle clubs again. 

6 hours ago, Jeffrey B. Banke said:

Patrick, funny the ambidextrous thing, I shoot guns with both hands, throw darts, play table tennis, and a few other things with either hand, but cannot for the life of me think I can juggle.

Wendy, dropping balls in golf is what you have to do if you are on a sprinkler head, or go into a lake/ditch or something like that.

I was playing golf on a course in Massachusetts. There was a little pond next to the green and I hit my ball to the edge of the green next to the pond. Found the ball no problem but there was a snake right next to it. Took a drop.

42 minutes ago, Charles Lewis said:

I was playing golf on a course in Massachusetts. There was a little pond next to the green and I hit my ball to the edge of the green next to the pond. Found the ball no problem but there was a snake right next to it. Took a drop.

FWIW, I think that was an utterly inappropriate course of action.

You SHOULD have grabbed a camera, and, start shooting the snake from all possible angles, until it got so fed up with this rude invasion of privacy and slithered away. Then you could have gone back to your ball :P;) 

Also, I've never been on a golf course and don't see me ever having any reason to go on one, either. Quoting Mark Twain, "Golf is a good walk spoiled". However, I've always had this vision of cantering around on a golf course on a horse - now that would be appropriate, and better than any walk ever  :P:D 

Sheila - that's the old dog meme "No take, only throw" :D

That's a good time for reinforcing "come here", "sit" and "drop". When all those are in place (best practice the first two without a ball so they're solid), there's less chasing the dog left :P

And yeah, Bob does that to my husband. With me, not so much. Marshall is a mixed bag, it just depends, LOL!

3 minutes ago, Sari ONeal said:

FWIW, I think that was an utterly inappropriate course of action.

You SHOULD have grabbed a camera, and, start shooting the snake from all possible angles, until it got so fed up with this rude invasion of privacy and slithered away. Then you could have gone back to your ball :P;) 

Also, I've never been on a golf course and don't see me ever having any reason to go on one, either. Quoting Mark Twain, "Golf is a good walk spoiled". However, I've always had this vision of cantering around on a golf course on a horse - now that would be appropriate, and better than any walk ever  :P:D 

Sheila - that's the old dog meme "No take, only throw" :D

That's a good time for reinforcing "come here", "sit" and "drop". When all those are in place (best practice the first two without a ball so they're solid), there's less chasing the dog left :P

And yeah, Bob does that to my husband. With me, not so much. Marshall is a mixed bag, it just depends, LOL!

Actually I have taken my camera with me a few times and even sold a couple of the shots I took. Unfortunately, this time, I didn't have it with me.

And the reason they call it golf is because all the other four letter words were already taken.😀

I'm right handed and so is my husband but two of our kids are left handed and two are right handed (although my second dtr, when she was younger, used both hands). And the two lefties use their right hands to cut with scissors because the schools never had left handed scissors so they had to learn to do it that way. My mom was a leftie but having gone through the education system via the catholic church, they hit her hand with a ruler anytime she tried to use it so she had to learn to do everything right handed. Not sure if anyone on my husbands side of the family is a leftie or not. I had to work hard to learn to do the one handed juggling with my left hand.

lol Charles, I have to agree, golf is such an exercise in frustration.

Sari the green keepers tend to get a bit upset when people ride horses on the course.

I have on leftie child and one right, I am a little ambidextrous, though I tend to just call it appendage confused lol.

I a not very co-ordinated so I dont think I will be trying juggling any time soon.

Sari and Wendy, some people ride dirtsurfers on golf course and I'm sure that the owners don't appreciate that!

Actually, this guy is taking it even further. Riding a motorbike on a golf course!

Ive just come back from shooting some footage of two kangaroos up the hill. One of them was feeding on some vegetation which it was holding and the other one grabbed some of it out of his paws. It looked quite funny. 

10 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Sari the green keepers tend to get a bit upset when people ride horses on the course.

Yeah, but that's one of the best parts of the vision.... green keepers or the players dismayed upon seeing the hoof prints and the poops... :P

Good thing I'm not really planning on doing it :D:P

Interesting. I got a notice that quoted in a thread and when I clicked on the link I get this pop up.

1237262364_ScreenShot2020-07-18at11_47_03AM.thumb.png.6c6853e307e13b0709a2bc15024e63c0.png

I can only presume it's because the thread was deleted? Because I can't find the thread either. 

Need to do some weeding today and have zero motivation. Thinking maybe it's time to activate the teenager work force. They tend to do less than stellar jobs, but that'll at least leave less for me to have to do?