Sari ONeal

The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

lol because gum leaves are so toxic it gives the babies the right enzymes to digest the leaves, is it any worse than what birds do?

Yea that makes sense. Clearly, it's a necessity. Though I'm still grossed out a bit whenever animals eat droppings (even when it's done for logical reasons.)

Consider me relieved i am not a koala. Ick. Do koalas eat their food twice like rabbits do too? rabbits will eat their poop because they don't fully digest it the first time around. I haven't really researched to see if other animals do the same.

6 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Consider me relieved i am not a koala. Ick. Do koalas eat their food twice like rabbits do too? rabbits will eat their poop because they don't fully digest it the first time around. I haven't really researched to see if other animals do the same.

No they dont Sheila, once they can eat properly the babies just eat leaves. They spend all their time in the trees and their poop drops down ....

8 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

lol because gum leaves are so toxic it gives the babies the right enzymes to digest the leaves, is it any worse than what birds do?

Even foals eat their mother's poop to get the gut bacteria they need, I've seen some young horses do it as well.

And now thinking about it, doctors do that to some people who need better gut flora, just look up stool transplant. There are different ways of delivery...

Sari, my husband mentioned the stool transplant thing a few years back. Not something I'd be keen on trying myself. I guess I'm a bit on the squeamish side 😕 

The repair guy is out working on the grill. Has to go get a part but apparently the issue that caused the fire (at least this time) was a gas leak. Very small leak underneath not far from the ignition switch. So hopefully this time it'll be fixed and not repeats on the fires. I like being able to grill outside on hot days vs heating up the already warm house on said days. The alternative is cold cuts. Plus grilled food just tastes better IMO.

Sari I believe they are saying this might be the cause of the allergies that so many people have now ... human's have become "too clean" in recent time.

Sheila I sure hope that the grill is fixed once and for all this time.

Earlier today, I heard a rumble in the air. Kind of like what you experience during a thunder storm. Though it lasted for a significantly longer duration and there was no storm. I wonder if it could have been a very low magnitude earthquake. Though there was nothing reported on the internet. My brother's wife also experienced this unusual phenomenon two houses away. And then tonight, there was another rumble that went on for a bit and gradually faded. A family member reported that the windows were vibrating tonight. And still nothing about this on the internet. Very odd. 

By the way, the last sale I had on SS was my best selling photo which sold for $0.10c. That photo was also my third to last sale in which I got $0.44c. Today, that same image sold on Adobe Stock for $3.07. I know which agency I'll be supporting in the future. 

Patrick - if it wasn't a thunderstorm or an earthquake, could there be some building going on where they have to detonate rock to get deeper in the bedrock? That would cause similar sounds and vibrations.

Wendy - yeah, immune system is directly connected to digestive system, and allergies are typically the response of an immune system gone haywire. There was a piece on the radio a couple of years back where they discussed the processed foods (this was in the US) and their effect on the gut flora. People who immigrated here from different countries had a great gut flora, but after they started eating here the food had an adverse effect and basically destroyed all the good stuff, which resulted in declining overall health.

And when you know that EU has banned chicken meat of US origin because the producers use bleach to "clean up" the meat, you also know that eating that chicken cannot be good for your gut health. And this is just one little part. Of course, any time one takes antibiotics it also has a destructive effect on one's gut flora, which is why one should always make it a point to eat yogurt or drink buttermilk that has active cultures, or probiotics with the same, during and after a course of antibiotics.

The stool transplants are apparently the most effective way to treat C. diff infections, and could be useful in a number of other digestive problems. They can be as easy as a pill, if needed :)

Sari, there is some construction going on nearby for a new house. Though looks like the foundations were completed some time ago. They've already built the frame work and looks like one of the walls has been erected. Though even so, the second rumble occurred very late at night and there's no way building / construction work would go on during this time period over here.. 

Wendy, the guy had to order one of the couplers as it's not an item in stock so as soon as that comes in, hopefully it'll be fixed. Thanks. Haven't heard back from him yet on the status.

My sales on Adobe are picking up but still only about 1/3 of what I'm making here since the volume of sales here is significantly higher. Only time will tell how far everything will fall.

Nothing new and exciting here. Taking a break from photos since I had issues with a contact stuck behind my eye for a few days. Finally got that out yesterday (went to the optomotrist and she got it out) but now my eye is tired and I'm just not used to using my camera wearing glasses. Guessing my days of contact use are pretty much numbered (possibly already done) so I might as well get used to trying to see through the viewfinder wearing glasses. I use live view when I do most of my studio work now (except when working with the animals as it doesn't focus nearly fast enough) but it also uses battery life so fast too.

I don't wear glasses when I take pics, it's impossible to get the focus right (especially on my non-auto focus macro lens) with glasses on, or even just see anything. I got an add-on diopter for my viewfinder so I can get to as close as possible corrected vision without glasses. Of course it's not totally accurate, but it does help. Getting old is hell :D

Yeah, getting old is definitely not for sissies. LOL. Unfortunately, my current Rx is -5.5 and I think it's actually getting worse, but I'll find out in a few weeks when I go back for an actual eye exam. I skipped my eye exam last year because the cost of the kids exams and glasses was just absurd, so I didn't add mine onto that. And I wasn't having any issues at the time. I don't use glasses when I'm looking at the live view, but that's with the subject right there on the screen. But when it's something off in the distance, I can't focus through the viewfinder without contacts or my glasses on because I can't tell if it's in focus (other than the fact that I have it set not to activate the shutter if there is nothing in focus - but that doesn't mean the focus is set where I want it to be) Definitely a challenge. I haven't looked at adding a diapter. Not sure if that would dial up as much as I'd need :D 

Made a ton of manicotti tonight and put 3/4 of it in the freezer for future meals. It's a massive undertaking to prepare and I've frozen them before and it works out really well. Just lay down some marinara sauce, plop in the frozen manicotti and cover in marinara and pop in the oven. Much faster. Took me almost two hours to cook all the sausage and mix everything up, al dente the manicotti shells and then stuff the shells. And no, I didn't think to take any photos of the process. 

Sari yes, vibrations can travel far indeed. Though people wouldn't be blasting away rock late at night (especially after 11.00pm.)

Regardless, my brother's wife found out there was an earth tremor that occurred just recently on the mainland.

41 minutes ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

I haven't looked at adding a diapter. Not sure if that would dial up as much as I'd need :D 

The add-on ones come with a set strength, and then you adjust the rest with what's on your camera's viewfinder (since that one doesn't go very far). It's usually advised to ask your optometrist for the best value, as how you look through the viewfinder and focus your eye is not quite the same as looking through your glasses.

Here's an example that has a set value (-5.o) that'd probably get you fairly close  https://www.adorama.com/nkdm5n.html

I had to google manicotti, never heard of it before :P

I know of several people (photographers) who use just Auto focus for various reasons, some diabetics, some macular degeneration, others just aging eyes. Fortunately I am not in that category.

I hope y'all didn't die of shock that I actually stopped back in to make a comment, but Sheila was a good friend of mine and I like to keep track of her 😉

Hope everyone is staying safe!

I am in my farm in Washington, my nearest neighbor is about 2/5 kilometer away (about 400 yds for the mathematically challenged LOL!)

I am a limited commission officer for the Spokane County Sheriff's office so spend a fair bit of time directing traffic, writing disabled parking enforcement tickets, doing latent fingerprint lifting for forensics, radar, etc., but keeping social distancing at the same time. Tons of photo ops, but hard for me to do at the same time :-)

Anyway, y'all take care,

Jeff

Thanks Sari, I might have to look at those. 

I'm having palpitations! LOL. Jeff has returned! Great to see you! It sounds like I died though 

59 minutes ago, Jeffrey B. Banke said:

I hope y'all didn't die of shock that I actually stopped back in to make a comment, but Sheila was a good friend of mine and I like to keep track of her 😉

I thought you guys moved out there so you could spend more time with the wife? How does she feel about you not being home all the time? LOL. She retires and you go back to work. Tell her I said "HI" by the way. I use autofocus because I can't focus fast enough for wildlife and protest photos manually.

3 hours ago, Jeffrey B. Banke said:

I know of several people (photographers) who use just Auto focus for various reasons, some diabetics, some macular degeneration, others just aging eyes. Fortunately I am not in that category.

Hope everyone is staying safe!

I am in my farm in Washington, my nearest neighbor is about 2/5 kilometer away (about 400 yds for the mathematically challenged LOL!)

I am a limited commission officer for the Spokane County Sheriff's office so spend a fair bit of time directing traffic, writing disabled parking enforcement tickets, doing latent fingerprint lifting for forensics, radar, etc., but keeping social distancing at the same time. Tons of photo ops, but hard for me to do at the same time 🙂

Anyway, y'all take care,

Jeff

Yay Jeff! Good to see you back :D Do you still have the deer visiting?

Haha, I had to look up manicotti as well, looks very yummy!

Patrick, glad you solved that mystery. Did you ever solve the mystery of the disappearing jogger?

I have the diapter set differently on both my main cameras. One adjusted to use with my glasses, one adjusted for without them. Believe me it is not a good plan, one I really need to sort out lol.

Had a house fire a stones throw away from me last night. I went out to put the ducks to bed and was engulfed in smoke. I'm pretty certain it was a chimney fire and looks like everyone was OK, but the fire services where there for about 4 hours putting it out. 

I finally finished the pond yesterday. OMG am I glad that is over! Building walls with very odd shaped sandstone is a nightmare. Just needs to mature now, the white underlay will change colour with bacteria etc and should blend with the rocks and liner, looks a bit pants at the mo. I'll raise the water level as the plants grow, then the fish can move home. I can't wait for that :D 

20200707-bestwick-pond.jpg

Linda, that disappearing jogger remains a mystery! After more careful observation of the footage, I noted that his shadow was accompanying the second truck as it went around the bend. So this likely indicates that the jogger was either running alongside the truck or keeping just ahead of it. Though strangely, when you look at the space between the tires when the truck is making the turn around the bend, there is no sign of the jogger's feet! So his shadow is visible but not his feet. 

Did you share it with anywhere like Fortean Times? Would be interesting to see what they think about it. But it's one of those things that everyone will have an opinion on, and you'll still never know the truth of it lol. At least the mystery rumble was solved!

Linda, I'm not familiar with Fortean Times. I'll look them up. Sometime, I am planning to upload the footage to youtube with a watermark. And I'll add narration with my thoughts and observations about the mystery. It will be interesting to read comments by youtubers on what they think is happening. Actually, Ive noticed there are a few videos on youtube about disappearing people. 

Patrick, I was watching a show the other day that was saying that rumbles like that could become more frequent.

Sari I had heard of the declining health of many cultures when they start eating the westernised diet .... a very sad state of things to be honest.

Sheila I hope that your grill gets fixed soon/

Linda the pond looks awesome. Well done.

Greetings Jeff, good to see you!

On the subject of glasses, I have to wear mine all the time, so my diopter is adjusted for my eyes with glasses on. I cant see if I take them off  .... the astigmatisms make sure of that :(