Sari ONeal

The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Our dogs' kiddie pool got holes in it (and was thrown away last year) and we need to get a new one -- they LOVE splashing in the water...LOL!!!

They usually prefer to stay outdoors most of the day, but they're in the house now.... too hot to be outside!

We have some slight chances of rain coming up after tomorrow, and I have my fingers, arms, legs and eyes crossed hoping we actually get something.

Steve, there was a cheap little camera attached for viewing rather than recording. Though that came in no use for locating the quad. 

By the way, I spent hours searching for it yesterday but no luck. I tried to be as thorough as possible. I came across two large kangaroos lying in the grass on different occasions but they didn't seem to take much notice of me looking around. 

A good drone? Lol. That really depends on your definition of what a 'good drone' is. There are different types of multirotors for different purposes. The Syma X5A (which I just lost) and the Mavic Air are two completely different beasts. The Mavic Air is largely automatic and really excels at aerial videography. The Syma X5A is all manual so a lot more challenging to fly which is a good thing because it actually teaches you how to fly. Something that the Mavic doesn't do. For anyone starting out with multirotors, I would recommend beginning with a cheap manual quadcopter (something similar to a Syma X5A) so that they learn the basics of flight. It will certainly be a lot tougher to learn on but this will make them a better pilot with arguably quicker reflexes. They can always get something like a Mavic later down the track and if they ever get in a sticky situation in the air with the Mavic, they'll have those manual flying skills (developed from flying the Syma etc) to get them out of trouble. The Mavic would not be my first choice for a quadcopter for someone first starting out. I believe that the various Mavic models in general have no user-selectable Atti mode so newbie pilots have 0 experience with that particular flying mode. The vast majority of the time, the Mavic is in GPS mode so it just flies itself basically, 'guided' by the operator. In instances when the GPS signal is lost, the Mavic switches automatically to Atti mode. And since beginner pilots have no prior experience with Atti mode, they don't know what to do and tend to panic and crash. 

And by the way, although Ive been flying these things for over 6 years, I still fly the cheap, manual quads a lot. It keeps my manual flying skills from going rusty. And they're also more fun to fly as well as they're more challenging. You're more actively involved in the flying process with constant stick inputs (counteracting drift and adjusting the throttle to compensate for changes in altitude.) 

We had a storm blow through early in the afternoon - the heat index was at 109F when the wind from the approaching storm started blowing, then it started raining, and we were at a quite cool, almost cold feeling 70F soon after. That was a serious change from hot to cold!

It didn't rain near enough, though, so crossing everything again for more rain tomorrow.

You can have some of my rain if you like Sari! I need ours to go away so I can carry on pond building (don't care about getting wet, just can't use mortar if it's pouring down :(). Mid summer and it's miserable here, temps here are 17c/62f. Last week it was 34c/93f. Temps switched pretty much overnight. Not as quick as it sounds like for you though! 

So much rain here too except just lately. There is the odd clear day and then the rains return.

Linda can you hang up a tarp or something to keep the rain out of your work area?

I'll take y'all's rain, if you can pack it up and send it this way :D

It was so weird yesterday, I actually went out and took a pic of Hank who was profusely sweating because of the heat and high humidity, and only minutes later the cool wind started blowing and it was just a total opposite of what just was.

Then, it's supposed to be mid 90s and 100F+ heat index today again.

I did think of using a tarp, but never got further than thinking about it lol. Anyway I have decided to parcel up the rain and send it over which means I should get a clear spell to finish off the mortaring! 
Why can't we all have a happy medium with the weather. Warm temps with sunshine during the day and some rain overnight when we needed it. Snow on xmas day and we'd be sorted haha. 

Sari, I'm sure the sudden cool down was a nice change. I hope you get more rain there. We have the usual bipolar weather patterns here. Warm for a few days then suddenly cold enough I feel the need to wear a coat and scarf in the morning and late afternoon. It's nice right now though.

Trying to catch up on some yard work while it's not too hot. I cleared most of the side raised planter out front of roots. It was so rootbound that we ended up removing 1/3 of the volume of the planter just with roots. Had my son help me as he had to pull the root masses up and to the side so I could use an axe to loosen it from the layer below it. But now it's all clear and I took the milkweed plants I had planted in pots (that were obviously getting too big for the pots) and transplanted them to that planter and now it's full again. So far, they haven't seemed to suffer from any root shock so I think they'll do well there. It only gets morning sun for a few hours, but they weren't getting much sun on the front porch either so I'm fairly sure they'll do ok there. Still need to pull up the weeds in the front yard. I've been concentrating on the backyard, so the front yard has kind of gotten wild. I'm surprised the association hasn't sent me a notice yet.

Sari your weather is crazy, I hope you get more rain. Poor Hank sweating like that, how do you keep him cooler?

Linda .... not sure about snow on Christmas Day  .... it's funny when I was 20 I was in the UK visiting my Grandmother, the only day I got homesick was on Christmas Day, the weather was all wrong. Christmas Day was supposed to be hot beach weather and it wasn't ....

Our weather is all wrong here at the moment, we normally have beautiful fine weather for much of winter, it has been miserable, cold (for here), drizzly weather. The wet season over summer failed to arrive. Though the rain is good for the water table it is not so good for the forest. It is a green drought as the rain is not at the right time of year.  Plants like things to be predictable lol.

Patrick I know what you are saying about off clear days.

Sheila dont get heat stroke out there

Wendy what part of the world you from?

Here in Canberra it is freezing though at least it's sunny today. Many of you from North America and Canada would laugh at what we, or at least I, complain about when it comes to cold weather. Canberra is the coldest of major cities in Australia because it's kinda close to the snowy mountains.

On 7/2/2020 at 11:29 AM, Patrick Cooper said:

A good drone? Lol. That really depends on your definition of what a 'good drone' is. There are different types of multirotors for different purposes. The Syma X5A (which I just lost) and the Mavic Air are two completely different beasts. The Mavic Air is largely automatic and really excels at aerial videography. The Syma X5A is all manual so a lot more challenging to fly which is a good thing because it actually teaches you how to fly. Something that the Mavic doesn't do. For anyone starting out with multirotors, I would recommend beginning with a cheap manual quadcopter (something similar to a Syma X5A) so that they learn the basics of flight. It will certainly be a lot tougher to learn on but this will make them a better pilot with arguably quicker reflexes. They can always get something like a Mavic later down the track and if they ever get in a sticky situation in the air with the Mavic, they'll have those manual flying skills (developed from flying the Syma etc) to get them out of trouble. The Mavic would not be my first choice for a quadcopter for someone first starting out. I believe that the various Mavic models in general have no user-selectable Atti mode so newbie pilots have 0 experience with that particular flying mode. The vast majority of the time, the Mavic is in GPS mode so it just flies itself basically, 'guided' by the operator. In instances when the GPS signal is lost, the Mavic switches automatically to Atti mode. And since beginner pilots have no prior experience with Atti mode, they don't know what to do and tend to panic and crash. 

And by the way, although Ive been flying these things for over 6 years, I still fly the cheap, manual quads a lot. It keeps my manual flying skills from going rusty. And they're also more fun to fly as well as they're more challenging. You're more actively involved in the flying process with constant stick inputs (counteracting drift and adjusting the throttle to compensate for changes in altitude.) 

I suppose by 'good' I mean something good enough to take photos and videos for stock while not breaking the budget. I have a Mavic 2 Pro which cost $1900 aud over 12 months ago and that was after two lots of discounts were applied. It's certainly good enough for stock and I know people who use it in other photography businesses such as real estate. Then again I know a chap who has a very successful real estate business down at Batemans Bay and he uses and recommends only the DJI Inspire models for this business.

I got to say, I'm not anywhere near great at flying a drone but the safety features the M2P has is soooo helpful in times of trouble. I flew that little bird for more than 3 kilometers over open ocean down Batemans Bay to capture some footage of Tollgate Islands. But while I was out there, and just before I flew straight down the middle of the islands, it loss the signal on the app and I was unsuccessful at getting it back. So just hit the Return-To-Home button on the controller and the drone flew back safe and sound. That was a risk I don't usually take and probably won't again. But yea, that's what I meant by a good drone. Is drone photography something you would consider for your MS portfolios?    

16 minutes ago, Steven Tritton said:

Wendy what part of the world you from?

Here in Canberra it is freezing though at least it's sunny today. Many of you from North America and Canada would laugh at what we, or at least I, complain about when it comes to cold weather. Canberra is the coldest of major cities in Australia because it's kinda close to the snowy mountains.

Steven I am behind Cairns in Kuranda  ... a world away in terms of weather to you :P

I keep looking at drones but I am not sure I want to play, I did think about getting hubby to do the filming and then I would do the processing ....

Steve oh yea the DJI drones are exceptional at aerial videography, producing super smooth footage. That's where they really excel. Ive been wanting to get one of those for ages for shooting aerial stock footage. Pity they're so damn expensive. A few years ago, I did actually buy a second hand DJI Phantom 2 via eBay. The plan was to mount a gimbal and action camera to it. Though it did exhibit some issues. I tried to take it back for a refund but PayPal sided with the seller so I'm stuck with it. I'll try and sell it some time though that may be as spare parts. 

And oh yes the RTF is certainly a great, convenient option...but only so long as the GPS is behaving itself. And the vast majority of the time, it will be just fine. Though there's always that small chance of the GPS playing up and in those instances, features like RTF can't be used. 

8 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Linda .... not sure about snow on Christmas Day  .... it's funny when I was 20 I was in the UK visiting my Grandmother, the only day I got homesick was on Christmas Day, the weather was all wrong. Christmas Day was supposed to be hot beach weather and it wasn't ....

Haha, completely opposite seasons, I can't imagine it hot beach weather on xmas day. I can imagine how weird it was for you in our cold xmas climate!

We've got grey windy weather today, fingers crossed it will stay dry, if I can motivate myself I can get on with the pond then. 

Here's some random trivia. In Australia's distant past, there were carnivorous kangaroos. Now that would be a surreal sight - seeing kangaroos hunt down other animals and eat them. Though apparently, they galloped instead of hopped. Massive fangs too.

Patrick I've seen an episode of two of "Australia: first four billion years"  https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/series/australia-first-4-billion-years/

and it's pretty dang awesome. I'm pretty sure you can't watch it from the link, but you get the idea. Giant rain forests, dinosaurs, a giant lake / sea in the middle of the continent. Just amazing :)

Wendy - sometimes we hose him down if it's super hot, but even then you usually need to swipe the water off, otherwise it will actually block the heat in 😮

The other horses, being Arabians, SHOULD be able to take it :P They're built for it, although, humid heat is not the same as dry desert heat at all.

We also missed two storms yesterday, they went right by 😐

Spectacular video capture Sari. We have too many trees around our house to try and do any timelapse videos here. Could probably get some great ones of all the fireworks. For the last few hours, it's kind of sounded like a battle out there. Some were within blocks of our house too. Hard to judge the distance a lot of the time since sound carries so well over the estuary so it sounds really close, but when the house rattles, you know it's close. Sebastian has been pretty oblivious to the noise up until that point. He definitely didn't appreciate.

They had a decent sized protest on the island again today. Made for a few decent images and video clips. Who knows if they'll sell though. Although I did sell a clip from the womens march on P5 today. that was a nice surprise. My other two sales there this week were web versions so only about $6 each.

16 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Here's some random trivia. In Australia's distant past, there were carnivorous kangaroos. Now that would be a surreal sight - seeing kangaroos hunt down other animals and eat them. Though apparently, they galloped instead of hopped. Massive fangs too.

Patrick, did you realise that kangaroos will eat the stomach contents of dead kangaroos when times are hard?

12 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Patrick I've seen an episode of two of "Australia: first four billion years"  https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/series/australia-first-4-billion-years/

and it's pretty dang awesome. I'm pretty sure you can't watch it from the link, but you get the idea. Giant rain forests, dinosaurs, a giant lake / sea in the middle of the continent. Just amazing :)

Wendy - sometimes we hose him down if it's super hot, but even then you usually need to swipe the water off, otherwise it will actually block the heat in 😮

The other horses, being Arabians, SHOULD be able to take it :P They're built for it, although, humid heat is not the same as dry desert heat at all.

We also missed two storms yesterday, they went right by 😐

Sari, the history of Australia is really interesting, we are the youngest continent with the oldest rocks in the world ... and the oldest continuous culture in the world as well.  It sounds like keeping Hank comfy can be a full time job sometimes.

Fabulous vid!

Sheila we have too many trees to get decent footage as well.

Sari, that TV series sounds really interesting. And yea the concept of a huge inland sea here sounds awesome. Occasionally in documentaries on TV, I see people who come across extremely old remains of marine life in the Australian outback. Shells etc if I recall correctly. So surreal. 

And great seeing that time lapse of a storm with the moon in view.

Wendy, I admit I didn't know that about our contemporary kangaroos. Desperate times call for desperate measures. 

16 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Sari, that TV series sounds really interesting. And yea the concept of a huge inland sea here sounds awesome. Occasionally in documentaries on TV, I see people who come across extremely old remains of marine life in the Australian outback. Shells etc if I recall correctly. So surreal. 

And great seeing that time lapse of a storm with the moon in view.

Wendy, I admit I didn't know that about our contemporary kangaroos. Desperate times call for desperate measures. 

True, but talking of weird, have you seen what Mama koalas feed their babies when they are weaning them?

4 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

True, but talking of weird, have you seen what Mama koalas feed their babies when they are weaning them?

Something other than gum leaves?