The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Haha, I love these spider stories. Sari, I can well believe getting caught up for a hour with one. I've been doing the same thing with my baby fish (unintentional breeding!) They are so tiny, you just get sucked into another world when you start watching their behaviour close up :)

Sheila, I'm binge watching Heartland at the moment. I think there is about 13 seasons so it should keep me entertained for some time. I might check out Jericho after that because I normally watch more dark type things. Heartland is a world away from that lol.

Weather here has gone nuts. It was the hottest day this year yesterday, in the 30's, which meant I could only work outside in the morning and evening. Still pond building! And today it's peeing down with rain. So more delays on the pond. Can't do mortaring in torrential downpours! One day I will get this thing finished if it kills me!

• Replies 45.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

Looks like Ive just joined the .33c club. A $15.14 video sale pushed me over the line. Thank you all for the encouragement. Though I must admit it took me a long time to get there. 

Posted Images

I discovered a large glass bowl tucked away in a cupboard in the kitchen today. It's has a very nice curve to it and it's quite deep. I was actually hunting around for something with that same shape to use as a parabolic dish for recording audio of nature sounds - bird calls etc. This bowl could actually be a good contender. All I'd need to do is mount a microphone in there and attach a handle. If I'm allowed to of course! A great thing about parabolic dishes is that they amplify sound quite significantly. They're good at picking up sounds from a distance. According to one nature sound recordist, if you use a para dish to record a bird vocalising up in a tree, it will sound like the bird is right next to you. 

16 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Sari oh indeed. This spider was not into the cricket at all initially. By contrast, when I was keeping a wolf spider a few years ago, it would lunge at crickets without hesitation.

It's possible that particular spider had never seen a cricket before. I don't mind watching spiders in the wild and I even toss flies to them when we knock them out with the fly swatter in the house, but I still don't like the spiders physically in my house. My oldest dtr has a serious case of arachnophobia so it's not something I'd consider anyway.

7 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

It's possible that particular spider had never seen a cricket before. 

Hmmm....possibly. Since this spider is a mygalomorph, it's likely that it takes larger prey (similar to crickets etc.) And generally, Mygalomorphs don't spin webs so they're unlikely to go for insects like flies. I once gave a blowfly to my pet wolf spider (which is not in the mygalomorph group.) It grabbed it and then let it go. 

Here's you a good one:

last year I had pretty purple Salvias growing next to my orangish yellow roses. The combo was nice, and as the Salvias didn't grow back, I bought some seeds and grew some plants. They're blooming now, and the flower was supposed to be purple. Instead, it's pretty much white, with some tiny spots. Looks like a catnip (I guess they come in different colors, though). So I grabbed a few leaves, brought them in, and rubbed the leaves onto the edge of our cat tower. Then I had Binky and Pipsqueak check it out. They both acted as if there was catnip there...... Sooooooooo....

Sari, too funny you ended up planting catnip. Wonder if the bobcats will be attracted to it.

My BBQ grill caught fire again on the electrical. Had flames coming up from around the controls and I could smell the rubber insulation burning. This is the second time this has happened. I had it repaired last year for the same thing. Really bummed :( I'm starting to think it's a design issue and something wrong with the grill itself. Once I can see as a fluke. But twice, not good. Good thing I was sitting out there while I was grilling. If I hadn't been, it could've gotten much worse.

Linda, thank you for the link. I admit I had not heard of Bernie Krause before. Which is surprising considering he's composed music for over 100 movies including Apocalypse Now. Great movie by the way. And very interesting podcast. Sounds like he has accumulated a massive collection of nature sound recordings. I can certainly relate when says that it's so rewarding working outdoors. Being around nature is always special. 

Sheila - that doesn't sound fun at all! I know nothing about grills (I don't grill, period, albeit I do like to eat grilled food), but if the wiring it catching on fire, it could be due to overheating from current overload, arcing due to a loose connection, short-circuiting, or just over heating because of poor ventilation where the wires are. Design issue could cause the last reason of those, and the rest would be more or less shoddy electrical work.

Main thing - even if you get it fixed again, you can never trust it at all.

43 minutes ago, Sari ONeal said:

Main thing - even if you get it fixed again, you can never trust it at all.

Very true. For this event, I had restarted the grill to cook the meat a bit longer. I don't recall if I had turned it off and turned it back on the last time as well. That might have been the case. In which case, it might be something is getting on the ignition switch and when I restart the grill it ignites. I'll have to ask the repair person about that when I get around to repairing it. Which will hopefully be soon as I prefer to grill outside, especially during the summer months.

On an up side, I just had 15 downloads all in a row on DT. I normally only get about that many in a week. so getting that many all in one day is a pleasant surprise. All editorial from the same event.

DT is weird for me, they can go for a week or two without any DLs, and then just go "back to normal" and they drip in. They've gone way down from before, though, overall. Not a lot of pics moving. I think the oddness comes from their changes to the algorithm. Port on, port off.

We're about to step into another hot spell again. Last night the low was 77F (25C), and today's high will be around 95F (35C) with heat index around 109F (43C). Then, two days of about 100F (38C). It'll be scorchy indeed.

Just had a flyaway with an rc quadcopter. A very unpleasant experience. I went out searching for it but no luck. I haven't had a flyaway for a very long time (years in fact.) I had to stop the search as it was getting dark. If I can't find it in the morning, it's probably doomed. It's forecast for rain for the rest of the week. 

Sari, I'm really confused why it took off. I had the direction stick on the controller pushed forward so it should have been moving forward. Though it was flying backwards which doesn't make any sense. A neighbour reckoned he saw it go down in a paddock behind some houses. That's where I looked but I didn't have any luck.

Sorry for the loss of you equipment Patrick. That's never a good thing :( I hope you are able to find it before the rains hit.

Sari, usually my sales on DT are a slow drip. This is the first time I've ever had a large number of sale there in one day AND I'm more than halfway to a payout there in a single month. That's an all time record as it usually takes MONTHS to make payout there. Not sure what the change is. I have editorial there too and that seems to be more of what sells (for me) so that might be part of why your sales aren't as good?

They're rolling back the opening up here. They were supposed to start opening more businesses today, but decided with the increased number of cases of Covid, they're not doing that now. Not sure what the new time line is but I'm definitely tired of not being able to do much of anything. I wish people would just follow directions so we could get on with life already. Not sure why wearing a face mask and social distancing is such a difficult thing.

Here’s some interesting news for you.  I >>>deleted <<<one of my top selling hummingbird pics several weeks ago and it just sold on a $4.50 sub.  ID # blank arrowed thumbnail.

Rudy explained it.  

I’m not really that bothered, it’s just interesting.  I deleted it because I was mad at them, lol!

Kelly - I bet it's on a POD site somewhere through SS, hence the SOD, and that's also why it's still selling someplace, as they don't seem take back the images that have been "spread out" to those sites. They don't expect anyone to remove the image from their ports.

Where was the sale from, I think I had two POD sales (they were small SODs) today from Boardman (OR).

Speaking of which, I saw one of your Hummer pics for sale as print on Amazon today, it was credited through CSP/you.

Patrick - was this the first time you were flying it and it did its own thing despite of you, or have you been flying it with no problem earlier?

Sheila - they SHOULD be rolling back opening here, too, since the cases are going WAY up, but the governor said already last week that there won't be another lockdown - and the one here wasn't much to speak of, either. They absolutely should be making people to wear masks, too, but they're barely even suggesting it.

1 hour ago, Sari ONeal said:

Kelly - I bet it's on a POD site somewhere through SS, hence the SOD, and that's also why it's still selling someplace, as they don't seem take back the images that have been "spread out" to those sites. They don't expect anyone to remove the image from their ports.

Where was the sale from, I think I had two POD sales (they were small SODs) today from Boardman (OR).

Speaking of which, I saw one of your Hummer pics for sale as print on Amazon today, it was credited through CSP/you.

Patrick - was this the first time you were flying it and it did its own thing despite of you, or have you been flying it with no problem earlier?

Sheila - they SHOULD be rolling back opening here, too, since the cases are going WAY up, but the governor said already last week that there won't be another lockdown - and the one here wasn't much to speak of, either. They absolutely should be making people to wear masks, too, but they're barely even suggesting it.

Hi Sari.
You could be right.  That’s one thing Rudy suggested, too.

It’s showing as a sub though, no location.

Boo.  😉

Working on the big A tonight.  Sold a squirrel for $119 a few days ago, woo!
I have a very small port there, time to get to work.  It’s too hot to do anything else.

Sales on the big A have picked up for me too. Good luck uploading! At least the process there is pretty fast and easy. 

sari, at least you don’t have to interact with people often since you’re in the boonies. That prob helps decrease your risk significantly. 

so many fireworks going off every night for several weeks now. Fortunately the dog is oblivious to the noise. Some nights it sounds like a war zone. But Sebastian is sleeping like a log. I guess I’ve desensitized him with my police shows? Or that might just be his nature since the bark collar just makes him more excited when it beeps and buzzes at him so he barks more as a result. 

Sari, I had been using that particular quadcopter for a few months and it was behaving normally up until now. Actually, it also flew backwards at the very start of the flight session (despite me pushing the stick forward.) Then it behaved normally after that for quite some time. But then went backwards again and that's when I lost it. I did a very extensive search today (which turned out to be clear and sunny) but there was no sign of it. I put up some sheets of paper around the suburb with my contact details and where to drop off the quad if it was found. 

It was a cheap quad. It only cost me about $20 if I recall. But I don't see this particular model sold through online stores anymore so I assume it's been discontinued. And annoyingly, quads that have similar specifications are very rare these days. 

Kelly, congrats on the big A sale. That is awesome. I do have a very small port myself there that has earned me a total of two sales. I should add some more. 

Sheila - true! I only see other people when I need to go to the grocery store or the feed store.

No fireworks around here -- *knocking on wood really hard!* :P  I hate the noise and it's so frikkin' hot and dry it'd be dangerous, too.

Patrick - maybe it pulled a "Sheila's grill" and the wiring overheated and shorted out?

Heat index currently at 116F, I didn't expect it to be QUITE that high....... 😮 😮

Thanks Patrick, and yes add some!  The dl’s are really nice, when they come.  

Hot, hot,  here, too.  I’ve been hiding out in the house for most of the afternoon.  I did go stand in the giant kiddie pool for a bit, made the pups go swimming,  they hate it!  😆