Sari ONeal

The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Hi kids!

Sari, that big snake would freak me right out!  I’d be getting someone to get rid of it  if it was me!  I just get little garters around here, and they’re bad enough. 😳

Sold two face masks on FAA, with two squirrels with a wishbone on them, lol!  I got 10% of my $30.00 membership investment back though, woo!

Have a great day everyone!

Kelly - that snake will keep rodents out of the barn, so that's a bonus now that I don't have a barn cat any more. My husband also said we should name the snook, so now it's "Snookums McHissFace", the official barn snook :P

I don't think I have any (?) face masks set for sale at FAA, but I do have few at Zazzle, one of which has sold maybe ten times.

No sales at FAA this year that I remember, unless there was a card or something that was a teeny tiny sale. Usually I'm lucky to make back the $30 in a year.

1 minute ago, Sari ONeal said:

Kelly - that snake will keep rodents out of the barn, so that's a bonus now that I don't have a barn cat any more. My husband also said we should name the snook, so now it's "Snookums McHissFace", the official barn snook :P

I don't think I have any (?) face masks set for sale at FAA, but I do have few at Zazzle, one of which has sold maybe ten times.

No sales at FAA this year that I remember, unless there was a card or something that was a teeny tiny sale. Usually I'm lucky to make back the $30 in a year.

My wife has sewed around 1500 face masks which have been donated to health care workers, grocery store workers, the Navajo reservation, etc.. There is a group of people in our neighborhood all working together on this.

I did take a few photos of piles of masks, material and her hands at the sewing machine and they have sold okay.

2 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Ha!  🙃

Well, if you can live with it there, good for you!  😁

Had a large print sale in Feb and a few card packs, so I figured I might as well give the site some effort.  Setting the prices is the hard part.

30c in the shade right now. Guess cutting the grass is out, for now.

My sales on FAA are slim to none most of the time. Last year was the first time I actually saw any traction on sales there. Still only enough to make back the $30 membership fees. Most years it's a total loss. I did do a bunch of uploads there the past few weeks and that's caused an uptick in traffic to my page, but no increase in sales. I suck at self marketing and that seems to be a necessity there. Plus cute animal imagery probably isn't the most popular for that site. I make a lot more regular sales on Society6, but the revenue is still small there since I can't set my own prices.

Our temps here vary significantly. Supposed to be in the 70's along the coast up to the upper 90's more inland. We tend to be 5-10 degrees warmer than the coastal temps so hopefully we keep the offshore breeze. That keeps it much more tolerable.

Sari I am glad I am not the only one who names the resident wild animals :)

Kelly good top see you, I am glad you are getting some movement on FAA  .... how are the puppers? I would love 30C  ... we seem to be having extended cool weather right now  .. this is usually our really nice time of year and instead we are getting cool, wet, grey and miserable. :(

Well done Steven and Sari on vid sales

Charles I didnt sew masks but sewed a heap of scrubs hats for our health care workers, others did masks and scrubs shirts  ... they have a strict protocol on their usage so they needed more than they used to have.

I just dies of shock I got a 38c sub .... wow!

LOL Wendy. Most of my subs were quite small today and the video sales too. The two video sales were a whopping combined total of $5.48. not very exciting :( 

It's been pretty warm all day here but it's quite frosty air coming in right now. We are only supposed to hit a low of 57 F but with the breeze, it actually feels much cooler. It's supposed to be hot all weekend (by our standards). Hopefully the breeze continues.

Alison yes this is the new normal and the new normal sucks.

Sari yea I should just ignore the blatant bot spamming on youtube. Just that I found this particular one quite strange. I wasn't sure if it was a person or a bot. In the past, when I was uploading videos to youtube, I didn't have these bot comments (as far as I know.) They seem to be a recent thing on youtube though I could be wrong there.

And oh yea bad that you did not get the audio recording of the owls. There are certainly some amazing sounds in nature. At times, I have considered getting audio equipment specifically for recording bird sounds etc. Though for good quality audio, I know the equipment would be fairly pricey - particularly the super sensitive microphone.

And here's something different. An optical illusion known as the Ames Window – courtesy of The Curiosity Show.

The Curiosity Show was a long running educational TV program in Australia aimed at younger viewers. It ran throughout the 1970s and 1980s and finished in 1990. After some time, the two hosts, Deane and Rob, managed to obtain the rights to the show and they've been uploading various segments from The Curiosity Show to their very own youtube channel.

Something really strange happened tonight. The TV changed channels by itself. The TV remote was on the coffee table at the time. Coincidentally, there is a cyber attack going on in Australia right now. That's probably unrelated because although it's a Samsung smart TV, you wouldn't really use the internet to change channels as far as I know. Though some aspects of this TV make use of an internet connection like accessing and using Netflix etc. 

14 minutes ago, alison1414 said:

Patrick I've read that these smart TVs can take on a life of their own on some ways.

LOL. Like Skynet becoming self aware.

This is so strange. Ive never had this happen with this TV or any other TV before. I switched it back to the channel I was previously watching....to resume Texas Walker Ranger with Chuck Norris.

Sari, if the TV is trying to prevent me from watching Chuck Norris do his thing, it's going to end poorly for the TV...!

10 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Something really strange happened tonight. The TV changed channels by itself. The TV remote was on the coffee table at the time. Coincidentally, there is a cyber attack going on in Australia right now. That's probably unrelated because although it's a Samsung smart TV, you wouldn't really use the internet to change channels as far as I know. Though some aspects of this TV make use of an internet connection like accessing and using Netflix etc. 

Patrick, that's strange because we have a Samsung smart tv too, and yesterday it went all crazy. Didn't change stations, but the screen on all channels and on Foxtel, Free-to-air as well as Netflix, etc, turned into a kind of negative weird looking picture. Took us ages to fix it and lots of rebooting to get it back to normal. It never did that before. (For others, Patrick and I both live in South Australia about 100 kms apart).

It could be a sheer coincidence and I never connected the two.  But you're right, the TV acts as a computer connected to the internet.

I was reading about the cyber attacks on Australia yesterday too. 

Australia has been hit by several major cyber* attacks.

Organisations targeted include Parliament House and Australian political parties, Cabrini Hospital in Melbourne and car company Toyota.

Primer Minister Scott Morrison said on Monday a “sophisticated state actor”, meaning the government of another country, had targeted the Parliament House computer network and all three major parties

Patrick lives on an island and I live in a beachside suburb across the bay. I am trying to think of what is around here that another country might want to cyber attack??? There's Australian Submarine Corp up north from here (Australia's largest defence ship building manufacturer), that might have a lot of defence intel there.  

Hopefully, its all just a sheer coincidence. 

Could be a DDoS attack that went wide. We've had a few in the past here in the U.S. as well. The only time my TV freaks out is because the cat steps on the controls.  Hopefully the issue there was just a fluke.

7 hours ago, Milleflore Images said:

Patrick, that's strange because we have a Samsung smart tv too, and yesterday it went all crazy. Didn't change stations, but the screen on all channels and on Foxtel, Free-to-air as well as Netflix, etc, turned into a kind of negative weird looking picture. Took us ages to fix it and lots of rebooting to get it back to normal. It never did that before.

Annie woah! That sounds really bizarre. I don't think Ive heard of that kind of thing happening to a TV before. I'm glad that you were able to fix it but sounds like it took a while. That is an unusual coincidence that both Samsung TVs played up on the same day / date. Yours and mine. Did yours go crazy during the day? The TV over here switched to the ABC a little late at night (after 10.00pm.) 

It could be a sheer coincidence and I never connected the two.  But you're right, the TV acts as a computer connected to the internet.

Oh and I just discovered recently that it is indeed possible to use the internet to change FTA channels on these smart TVs. And it's likely possible to change all sorts of settings on the TV remotely. Though yea it could all be just a coincidence. 

I am trying to think of what is around here that another country might want to cyber attack???

I guess there would be all sorts of secret and vital information within a country that is held by governments and tech / defense companies. Whoever is responsible for the cyber attacks could even sell the secret information to other nations or certain groups of people. I also heard that the Melbourne public transport system and a power company were targeted during the attacks. So sounds like the attackers want to cause a little bit of chaos. 

Sheila, a DDoS attack could be a possibility. Were those ones you mentioned launched from within the US or from other countries?

Many years ago, one of our cats walked over the remote and accidentally changed the channel. That was quite funny. No cats in this present home. 

Steve, a few years ago, another strange thing happened in this same house. In Australia, there's a product that used to be very popular here known as a 'singing fish.' It's a relica of a fish that is mounted on a wall. When you press a button, the fish appears to move by itself and also 'sings'. This house also used to be a holiday house where guests would make bookings and stay here after paying a deposit.

The thing about the 'singing fish' is that it will only sing for a very short time after the button is pressed - probably less than a few minutes if I recall. We went over there after some guests had moved out. Their car was not there in the driveway so they were long gone. House was obviously empty too at this point. I looked through the window. and to my surprise, I saw the fish moving and singing away on the wall. Though like I mentioned previously, it only does this for a relatively short time after the button is pressed. So I thought that was very strange.

Later, I found out from someone else that the button on these things can get stuck or jammed so maybe that was it. 

Patrick, it happened to me late Friday (yesterday) morning. Around 11:00 - 11.30am. I stopped work to start cooking lunch and turned the TV on to watch the news - and then it happened. Its a new TV as well, and its never happened before, and its ok since then.

What a sheer coincidence, huh?

Thanks Sheila, for your suggestion re DDoS attack

Just imagine --

a scenario where things are getting weird (not exactly like in the movie Live Free or Die Hard, but along the lines of a wider cyber attack to wreck the infrastructure or parts of it) - now, when you add not being able to get information from your TV because it just went crazy - or worse - someone starting to stream content to it that's intended to misinform or terrorize you. Now you're essentially isolated from the actual information that you need! What are you gonna do?

So, didn't China just a few days ago get mad at Australia and threaten with "dire consequences"?  -- how far does one need to leap with one's imagination that they're testing out what they can reach through the network. It seems "harmless" as far as things return to normal fairly quickly, but underneath it could be a prep for something more sinister.

I hope Australian cyber security people can tackle it (with help from other nations) and block the access from the attackers.

Unfortunately in today's world most things are connected to the internet, and thus can be accessed by outsiders.

Also, the smart TVs (Samsung as well as others)  do communicate with other sources without you ever knowing about it. Some even sell your information. You might even want to isolate your smart TV on your router so it can't see your other devices on the network.

You can google "blocking smart tv with router"

or you can read through these

https://www.pcwrt.com/2018/08/how-to-use-your-router-to-block-smart-tv-snooping/

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/150677/block-outgoing-network-traffic-from-smart-tv

https://www.helpmegeek.com/block-ads-on-smart-tv-samsung-sony-lg/

And yet, those won't help you with an incoming attack.

(And no, I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat!)

Sari, very interesting thoughts. Yea these weird things going on with the smart TVs seems rather harmless. Though yea good points about these potentially being tests so that they could conduct something more sinister later down the track.

And yea we certainly made China angry. They're annoyed because the Australian government wants to investigate the source of the virus and everybody knows that it likely started in Wuhan, China. Though I don't know why they're being so defensive and childish about it. Maybe they want to put the blame on someone else? Though didn't China impose restrictions on their so-called 'wet markets' after the virus outbreak? Wouldn't that be an admission of guilt?