The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

I can't even access my YouTube account since it was apparently acquired by google. I don't have a google account and don't see the need to make yet another account. I rarely use YouTube for personal videos anymore anyway. Never tried to make money from that platform.

• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

Thank You, Wendy! Merry Christmas to everyone!  

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Never tried to make money from that platform.

One would need a shitload of subscribers and views to make any money per their newest rules.

I have lots of videos there, back when youtube was separate from google I had some on google videos, and when they merged I had to move them so I wouldn't lose them. So, after that, of course there was only one option left for uploading video.

Mine were never uploaded with money in mind, ether.

8 minutes ago, Sari ONeal said:

One would need a shitload of subscribers and views to make any money per their newest rules.

I have lots of videos there, back when youtube was separate from google I had some on google videos, and when they merged I had to move them so I wouldn't lose them. So, after that, of course there was only one option left for uploading video.

Mine were never uploaded with money in mind, ether.

Yep was gonna say likewise with regard to the bold sentence. YT has its uses but money isn't one, at least for the majority. I hear Google ads income for bloggers etc had also nosedived in recent times. I think anyone looking to make money online best stay far away from anything associated with Google. 

I only knew they were making money from views because when they made the change, a disgrunted blogger came to their offices to shoot it up. That was all over the news here. I only used the platform to upload videos from the kids performances to share with parents and team mates (entertainment corps with the band, dance team and color guard and they performed at all the halftime shows at football games and then competed at various competitions against other High School marching bands). Anyway, we used a facebook group for all other contact and sharing of photos. that page is still up and running and I was able to get someone else to take over as admin so I didn't have to shut it down (since I created the page after the last person who was running it shut it down). Part of my previous life :) 

6 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Oh yes indeed. And the same was pretty much true with their old rules too. A number of years ago, when they first introduced their monetisation program, you had to be invited into it. My video of a wolf spider attacking a millipede earned enough views to be invited into the program. Can't remember how many views it got at the time but later, it accumulated over 200,000 views. It took over three years for that video to make me $115. That's what I call slow money lol. 

I used to upload videos to youtube fairly regularly but haven't done so in a while. Nowadays, there are a number of things you can opt in out of during the upload process and some of them sound a little unusual. Like declaring if the video is intended for children or not. 

Sheila, it certainly sounds like things are very hectic in certain parts of the US. 

Regarding youtube, I actually wonder if there are some bots that can produce longer sentences and in some cases, join a bunch of sentences together. Ive recently started a secondary channel on youtube and usually a few minutes after I upload a video to that channel, I get these super short comments like "Love this." Yea definitely bots. However, there's this particular account I mentioned before that I thought may be trolling. He or she writes longer lines of text than the typical bot and has commented on three of my recent videos. And generally, I find the comments rather strange and very random and don't relate specifically to the content in my videos. I wonder if this is a bot.

The account name is Song and he/she supposedly creates royalty free music. The first video I uploaded to the new channel featured a leaf curling spider that had captured a bee. No audio. Song's comment to this video was: "Big up! In Your next Video, can you Describe your greatest life moment? Also, I would love to be friends :o" 

In a video I uploaded that featured a microscopic organism in a sample of fresh water, Song commented: "Omg Yes! Never Quit. Laters :3."

I also uploaded some additional footage of the leaf curling spider with the bee. In this video, it looks like the spider may be injecting additional venom into the bee. Song's comment on this one was: "This is So Nice. Can You let me know what software you use. See you around =O"

What is so nice about injecting venom into an insect? I thought that was an odd thing to say. And what software is he talking about? I suppose he could be referring to the video editing software I used to create the clip but he doesn't specify. Though why would that be relevant? It's not like I did anything elaborate with the NLE software in this case - just set the in and out points for trimming. Oh and added a watermark and additional text - I guess that's a little extra.

So what do you reckon? Would Song be a bot or someone spamming random comments on various videos for some reason? 

Edit: Gosh, Ive just received another comment from Song for my latest video that I uploaded several minutes ago. 

like, loved it, wanna be friends, you deserve more subs, nice work, well done, what camera, software did you used, etc are common used phrases that is easy to spot in comments from real people if you watch Yt videos. You can hide spam user comments from channel, delete comments if not too many or even report account. The bad thing is links like "nice-gerls-date-online"dot.domain that thankfully are spotted as spam and can be bulk deleted.

Patrick - don't get too wrapped into it, it's bots for sure - just google the first few words "Big up! In Your next Video" - and you get tons of the same comments on YT.

I was setting up my camera last night for some starry sky time lapse, and there was at least two if not three Barred owls chatting to each other. They were close by and I thought I could record their calls on video of my phone -- I got what I thought a great piece of it, but when I played it back pretty much all you could hear was the high-pitched sound of a cricket that was somewhere next to me. It basically didn't catch any of the owls  - what a sour disappointment :( That was by far the best "session" of owl communications I've ever heard.

If that ever happens again I'll try to get the sound with my camera.

They really used all the possible calls in their repertoire, it was super awesome.

Bob the pupper was barking a while ago, and I went to check out what it was. She was looking UP at something, so I looked the same way, and there was a snake on the roof of the barn. That tin roof must have been a wee hot as it was almost 90F and sun blasting on it.

Bummer on missing the audio Sari. I'm sure it must've been spectacular to hear. Wow on the snake. I wouldn't have thought to worry about snakes on the roof. 

Apparently I was closer to the next level on video sales than I thought I was. Hit level 3 today. SS sends out a congratulatory email complete with flashing header. Not that exciting really. I've only been getting the tiny subs the last few days and even the video sale I did get was pathetic. This week has started out much worse than last week was :( 

1935759975_ScreenShot2020-06-16at4_28_17PM.thumb.png.c846148731f9444d9201504117000fd8.png

Congratulations @Sheila Fitzgeraldon making the higher level. Only another 200 video sales to reach the next level milestone. :huh:

I also note this week is a shocker, at least compared to the first week of June. Last week was slow enough and was hoping for a rebound this week but non so far. I also really miss video sales which had fallen off a cliff in recent weeks. Jan, Feb, Mar everything was on the up and up. Then April came with a big drop, followed by a further fall in May, and yet another big fall so far in June. Unlike others I see report ups and downs with a gradual decline over time, my port sales have quite dramatically collapsed. 

Sari, I might've been too freaked out to take video of that! LOL. I'm presuming that's a non-venemous snake then. I am liking the suburbs even more right now. 

@Steven Tritton not likely to hit the next level unless they agree to make it a 12 month rolling total. not going to hold my breath on that one though.

Steven - it's OK, I'm sure I've done similar mistakes :)

Sheila - yeah, it's just a Rat snake, of course it can bite, but it's not venomous. No reason to freak out :)

I've carried one out of the chicken pen on a big stick before. Then it started to slither on the stick towards me and I had no choice but toss it on the ground, didn't want it in my hands, LOL!

I actually got a video sale very early this morning, so I think I'm at 9 sales for the year. Like I said, it's been a bad year for video sales as April and May completely flopped on me. And yeah, the sale was under $10. It sucks.

My ten year SS anniversary is just a few days away and sales are worse than ever.

Sari, sorry to hear your sales are so bad. I'm sure the rest of us will follow with the poor sales given the recent changes. Very frustrating to work so hard for so little :( 

I got a new iPad yesterday (old one wouldn't support the newer programs since it's one of the first generation ipad minis). Anyway, been trying to learn how to use this fresco program for drawing. Freaking pain in the ars. The pencil doesn't seem to work well with the ipad even though it's an apple pencil. Or I'm doing something wrong. It keeps picking up the color of the background image (even though that layer is locked) and won't draw freaking lines at all. After half an hour of watching youtube videos trying to figure it out, I'm about ready to toss the whole thing out the window.

Sari what sort of a snake is a Rat Snake? It was very active !!

When it comes to sales ... 90% of mine have been 10c and 11c ... RPD is down the gurgler  ....

Sheila I cant help on anything Apple, but have you calibrated the screen, I have a tablet monitor and there is no way it will calibrate accurately so it can be a challenge to get it right. The pen nib is slightly offset on the left hand side of the screen. I have adjust my work to compensate but it can be frustrating when you are trying to be accurate. The other thing is the pen sensitivity have you adjusted that? It sounds like you have a light touch and it is expecting something far heavier.

Wendy - it's just a very common snake around here -

http://www.oksnakes.org/western-ratsnake.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantherophis_obsoletus

I saw it again this afternoon when I went to feed. It was on the floor in the back of the barn, just about to come out of its hidey hole, and then it saw me and went back to hiding.

Wendy, thanks. I'll have to look at calibrating the pen. I didn't really think about that. To tired to deal with the frustration today so maybe tomorrow.

Got Sebastian a new thicker pad to lay on in the kitchen and he really seems to like it. It's about 3X the thickness of the kennel pad I'd put there for him plus about 1/3 bigger so he doesn't have any appendages hanging over the edges.  He's becoming one spoiled puppy.