The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

It sounds weird that she's made such an abrupt turn, but she must be very confused. Of course, after the birth the hormones are strong and they influence the mama cat, so those fading out will change her back towards her "normal". It's hard to manage the situation, however, with her being in defensive mode. I hope she mellows out a little, but she will do what she will do.

No bears on the trail cam   :(  ;)  :P

The other night, however, a coyote walked by the camera and triggered it, and the chuck-will's-widow was sitting on his (her?) perch just on the other side of the path. The bird decided to fly off (as the coyote was right next to it), and the sound of that scared the coyote, AND the other coyote that was walking behind him. Then the first one stopped and turned and looked around profoundly confused. The second coyote didn't know what to be afraid of, LOL. Quite funny :)

We also have a Bewick's Wren building a nest in an empty hanging basket on the back porch. At first they tried to build the nest inside a tarp that's temporarily there to block off the sun. I didn't want them to get too far with it as the tarp would be taken down, so I hung the little hanging basket for them, and put the nesting material they had rounded up in it from the tarp. So now they've been filling the basket. Hopefully that'll be a better place for them.

• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I've definitely been floored by the whole thing. Trying to keep up with reading the thread about it, but gave up around page 72. I agree that if we have to start at the bottom every January, they shou

Posted Images

Sari, yes. She seems to be calm enough if I don't move the curtain or look at the kittens too much. Right now, we talk to her as we are entering and moving around in the room, but I just go in there to refill the dry food, bring in the wet food, fill up the water bowl and clean up the litter box (although she's started not using the litter box and using the tub instead so that's a bit more of a chore to clean up). As long as she doesn't feel threatened, she seems to be calm enough (although she's definitely watching and looks like she could pounce at any moment if she thinks she needs to). My daughter has been just sitting in there talking to her and she seems to do well with that but for now, until the kittens are a bit bigger, we are just giving her her space to mother them and do what she feels she needs to do. Bummer on no bears on the trail cam. Funny about the coyotes though. Nature is always a challenge to capture on film.

Mostly working on the canning projects here and my gardening. Trying to get the strawberries to stop sending out shooters and produce some fruit already. I'm clipping off all the new shooters now so it'll maybe get the message. I've already got over a dozen plants now that I've had to spread out over several pots (placing the other pots close enough that the new growth would root in the pots). Once they have solid roots, I can cut the vines between them and move the pots around. Those are the white strawberries with red seeds I picked up last year. Only one plant survived from the pack I bought but that one is more than making up for the loss of the other six. I'm curious to see if the fruit is any good. I have regular strawberries on the other side of the yard in one of the raised flower beds and a water fountain that was converted to a planter.

The Wrens built the nest (looks like it's pretty much done?) and I haven't seen them since. I guess we'll see if they come back or if that was a practice run on nest building, LOL!

Our forecast for the day is  "Areas of blowing dust and breezy" 😮

So, windy / hot/ and the wind blows up any dirt and dust that's not tied to the ground by roots. There are no clouds, but the westerly sky has an odd light color - not blue - and I expect it to turn reddish brown when it really starts blowing. It's not bad here yet, as it's supposed to be just starting, but looking at the wind map the western part of the state is getting hit with it already.

We are in another heat wave here. tomorrow it is supposed to peak and then go back down and off shore breeze (and then wind) over the weekend. I probably should have put off doing the work in the back yard til it was cooler, but I wanted to get it done. I took apart the center circular planter and re-did it with the bricks laying on the concrete instead of being inset) gives the island planter area another 10 inches around the perimeter so it's actually about 20 inches larger. Now I need to get more bricks to make it all the same level, but I put a boarder liner inside as well so the dirt and water will not seep through the bricks (that was my main reason for doing the project). Put in some edging underneath the bricks too so the bottoms catch on the edging since the patio is irregular and it won't catch easily on that. My husband can't tell that I did anything. he came out and say "huh, if I didn't watch you take this whole thing apart I'd think you just moved the fencing inwards). I pulled the muscle on my thumb too somehow. It hurts to try and hold anything. Fortunately it's on my left hand and I'm right handed. With the additional 10 inches along the backside I can actually plant some more herbs in ground there too. My husband decimated my cilantro. I told him the newer plants that I planted are now ready, but he's not to pick more than 50% off any one plant so it can survive the trimming. You'd think that was a given, but anyway...

This is the first month my Adobe sales are more than my SS sales. I had two video sales for $28 each there. Definitely nicer than the $2 video sale here today. Although I did have a video sale here last month for $101. That's definitely a unicorn, rarely seen.

Sheila, well done on the $101 video sale. Also lucky that occurred last month rather than this month with the new commission system. But gosh getting $2 for another video sale must be painful. I admit it's still a mystery to me how to go about selling videos on Adobe Stock. I sell videos though SS and P5 but Ive never sold a single video through AS. Ive had videos on AS for at least about two or three years but they do not sell there. I wonder if certain types of videos tend to sell on AS. Maybe they have a very specific kind of market. 

30 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Sheila, well done on the $101 video sale. Also lucky that occurred last month rather than this month with the new commission system. But gosh getting $2 for another video sale must be painful. I admit it's still a mystery to me how to go about selling videos on Adobe Stock. I sell videos though SS and P5 but Ive never sold a single video through AS. Ive had videos on AS for at least about two or three years but they do not sell there. I wonder if certain types of videos tend to sell on AS. Maybe they have a very specific kind of market. 

Patrick, how are your video sales on P5? I started there in Dec 2019 and have sold four so far, which is pretty slow at least compared to SS pre-June.

8 minutes ago, Steven Tritton said:

Patrick, how are your video sales on P5? I started there in Dec 2019 and have sold four so far, which is pretty slow at least compared to SS pre-June.

Steven, my video sales on P5 have not been too bad though I only have a very small video port there so I can't really expect large numbers of sales. So more or less decent for a small port. Though I haven't sold anything on P5 for a long time....sales seemed to have stopped there. I'll definitely try and expand my video port.

I've had 8 video sales on P5 for this calendar year, where as on SS, I'm at (I think) 45 video sales so far for the year. So 6 more and I'll be up to the 25% range. Which is still painful with the drop from 35%. Doubtful I'll get to that level with the requirements they have for that. Most of my video sales on Adobe are wildlife. Not sure what the customer base is there. The images that are most popular there are not my most popular here, not by a long shot. Thanks on last months sale. That was definitely a nice bonus for sure.

Sheila, thank you. Interesting perspective. I do have some nature videos on AS though I was planning on producing some more wildlife clips.

For a time, I was doing better with video sales on P5 than SS. Then later on SS bounced back and gave me some more video sales. Though regardless of that, I think I'll disable both my video and photo ports here after I reach my next payout. I just can't stand the greed. 

Sheila, Ive heard similar things with P5. Initially, I was submitting to P5 for months and got no sales at all. It seemed pointless but I kept on going. Then finally, I saw some sales there. Though unfortunately, sales have stopped. 

4 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Sheila, Ive heard similar things with P5. Initially, I was submitting to P5 for months and got no sales at all. It seemed pointless but I kept on going. Then finally, I saw some sales there. Though unfortunately, sales have stopped. 

Patrick it sounds like you are getting very disillusioned :(

I found out something interesting about youtube recently. Apparently the keywords you add to a video on youtube help very little in a search. They don't do much at all. I found this surprising. The words you use in the title and description weigh much more heavily in searches on that platform.

17 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

I found out something interesting about youtube recently. Apparently the keywords you add to a video on youtube help very little in a search. They don't do much at all. I found this surprising. The words you use in the title and description weigh much more heavily in searches on that platform.

That is interesting Patrick, a good reason to use your tags in your title and description well!

6 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

That is interesting Patrick, a good reason to use your tags in your title and description well!

Wendy oh yes indeed. Ive been doing that with my recent videos uploaded to youtube. I'm making sure that my descriptions are very detailed - packed with as much tags as possible.

Well this is strange. I have a video that's been on youtube for 11 hours so far and supposedly, there are no views. Though someone left a comment on it. I'm trying to make sense of that one.

Sari ah that makes sense. I also have another newly uploaded video on youtube which supposedly has no views and already has two comments from different channels. There must be quite a delay with the view counter. One of the recent uploads is 9 hours old and the other is 21 hours old. Both of them still indicate 'no views' despite the comments left. 

35 minutes ago, Steven Tritton said:

There's bots that post comments on YT, usually short something like "love this". The comment often disappears after a number of days or weeks. 

Oh gosh! One of those comments is almost exactly like that - "Loved it." Yea very brief. There's another channel that's commented on both of my recent uploads though I'm finding those particular comments a bit strange. I don't know if they're trolling or not. And one of those comments is actually a decent length with multiple sentences. Ive clicked on both channels (that left comments) and they lead to normal looking channels / accounts with a very small number of uploaded videos of their own. 

Edit: Actually not so normal after all. With one of those channels, if you click on Home, there are a small selection of videos but if you click on Videos, there are no videos. There are a few links in the About Me tab but hardly anything else. The other one has pretty nothing typed in About Me. Clicking on Community on both channels, there is absolutely nothing there despite them commenting on my videos. I guess at least one of these would be a bot account? I didn't even realise that bots could have accounts.