The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

I ended up angling the fan so it was blowing air in from the window directly on the dog. He seemed to like that. Finally cooled down adequately to turn it off some time early in the morning before the sun was up, so I'd guess around 3AM. I didn't actually look at a clock as I was too tired. It's supposed to be hotter today. My veggies are enjoying the heat, but nobody else is.

• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

Sari, the reviews are very inconsistent. I get clips rejected for noise, dust, what ever when a clip from the same shoot same settings same everything is accepted. I resubmit the rejected footage and

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

I ended up angling the fan so it was blowing air in from the window directly on the dog. He seemed to like that. Finally cooled down adequately to turn it off some time early in the morning before the sun was up, so I'd guess around 3AM. I didn't actually look at a clock as I was too tired. It's supposed to be hotter today. My veggies are enjoying the heat, but nobody else is.

can you get a cooling pad to put under him Sheila?

Wendy, I hadn't even thought about getting a cooling pad. Temps are supposed to peak today (poss as high as 95, which is insane for here) then start going back into the low 70's high 60's by the weekend with rain possible on Saturday. I went back to target yesterday to pick up a kiddy pool for him and they were already sold out. I knew I should've gotten it last week when I thought about it. Just wasn't sure it would actually fit in the car. I stayed downstairs last night til almost 1AM then we came up to go to bed (sleeping on a sofa isn't all that comfortable). I'll have to look into getting a cooling pad for next time since this seems to be trending with the global warming issues and all. Thanks

Sooo, who else is absolutely disgusted by the turn of things at SS?

The incentive has already been going down for years, and it looks like they're in a hurry to nail that coffin. I wonder how the SS peeps in their fancy office would react if they were offered the same "fair" terms as they're pushing on us. The new CEO should be the first in line to taste that medicine. Yummy, huh?

Sari, too be honest, I'm pretty disgusted by the whole thing. What a shocker. Ever since the new CEO stepped in, they've been trying to diminish our earnings in different ways. I thought it couldn't get much worse when they introduced the video subscriptions. But this is the last straw. Just crazy how greedy they are - especially with that resetting to level 1 at the beginning of each year..

I've definitely been floored by the whole thing. Trying to keep up with reading the thread about it, but gave up around page 72. I agree that if we have to start at the bottom every January, they should have to take a pay cut too and work their way back up. It's like climbing up a cliff and finally getting to a comfortable level only to be pushed back off. I think paying rent in the Empire State building needs to be re-evaluated. Move to a cheaper location to run the business from. That alone would cut a lot off their overhead IMO. I haven't decided what I'm going to do at this point. For photos, I'll start out at tier 5, but for video, I'll be taking a 15% cut in revenue right off the bat and given the irratic reviews and the fact that they're currently rejecting everything for noise dust what ever, there's no point in trying to add anything else anyway. Pay pennies but demand professional level quality. Talk about an oxymoron.

It is totally disgusting ... I am still trying to get my head around it.

For people who have made this their way to make their living, they have just been given a huge pay cut at the beginning of the year when bills are high. SS on the other hand rake in a high amount ... so much for loyalty  ...

Time will tell if the outrage being displayed by a large number of contributors will have any impact on what they're doing. I don't know why they thought there wouldn't be a strong reaction. I left IS when they announced their rates would go as low as 1¢ per image. I never did as well there as I do here though. I hit 31,000 lifetime total downloads here earlier this week. I don't do lifestyle imagery so maybe I'd do better if I did, but honestly, I don't like working with people. I'd rather take photos of animals. Even though they follow directions even worse than people do.

Did one batch of peach jam and one batch of raspberry jam last night and this morning. Had to go get more jars as I have enough peaches to make dozens more batches. But I'll make some pies out of those too and freeze them (which will be less work since I won't have to crush those). Might even do one raspberry pie if I can find a good recipe. The jams set up nicely though. I need to find the bubble wrap so I can send some to the girls.  No way we can go through this much jam in a year. I still have some from last year in the cabinet. I think they're good for 18 months after the original canning date? I have to look that up at some point.

I'm sure they knew that people would get super mad, and all those canned responses people get to their questions and messages were written and agreed upon ahead of time. They knew it would be a complete shit show.

And there's no way in heyull they'll reverse any of that, outrage or not, they have their calculations and new structures in place just waiting for them to flip the switch as the month ends. There's no backing down now, it was decided long before Jon O. left his CEO position.

And I hate how they sugar coat everything in their press releases. Saying stuff like this new payment system makes things fair and offers us more earnings potential. Do they think we're stupid?

Then after all this outrage from angry contributors, they state that they understand that we're concerned."'Concerned" is an understatement. 

"Fair" and "potential" are about as far from the truth as they can get from where we stand, just cute little jingle words they need to grab onto as they have nothing else to offer.

...and they cannot understand our concern until they've been put into the same exact place - as if that's ever going to happen.

6 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Time will tell if the outrage being displayed by a large number of contributors will have any impact on what they're doing. I don't know why they thought there wouldn't be a strong reaction. I left IS when they announced their rates would go as low as 1¢ per image. I never did as well there as I do here though. I hit 31,000 lifetime total downloads here earlier this week. I don't do lifestyle imagery so maybe I'd do better if I did, but honestly, I don't like working with people. I'd rather take photos of animals. Even though they follow directions even worse than people do.

Did one batch of peach jam and one batch of raspberry jam last night and this morning. Had to go get more jars as I have enough peaches to make dozens more batches. But I'll make some pies out of those too and freeze them (which will be less work since I won't have to crush those). Might even do one raspberry pie if I can find a good recipe. The jams set up nicely though. I need to find the bubble wrap so I can send some to the girls.  No way we can go through this much jam in a year. I still have some from last year in the cabinet. I think they're good for 18 months after the original canning date? I have to look that up at some point.

I do canning of my own, and frequently have jams from two-three years ago. So far, they've all been fine - I'm really careful with the jar seals before I'll open one of those though.

I did a quick google search and it says the preserves are good for 2 years if sealed correctly and stored in a cool location. So I"m going to presume they'll all still be good. We will definitely try to use that up before the end of the calendar year. I can't give away any of those since they're nearing expiration date.

They have a new mom cat that gave birth a few days ago at the shelter that they need to go into foster so I ended up taking my duo back yesterday so I could clean and sanitize the bathroom we use for fostering and I'll be picking mom and babies up in an hour. She's a gorgeous tuxedo cat with golden eyes. She apparently gave birth to 6 but 2 already didn't make it. So no more photos for a bit as she'll need at least a week of decompressing and getting used to the babies. i'm told she's very friendly though so we'll sit in there with her a lot to help with loneliness and isolation of course, but I tell the kids the babies aren't to be held and played with until they can walk on their own. It'll be nice not to have to clean up kittens and have the momma to do all that work for a change. Teaching grooming to kittens is always a challenge without the mom.

If I ever get another dog, my preference is that it must resemble a wolf in some way. I really like wolves. I think they're amazing animals. Unfortunately, as far as I know, wolf-dog hybrids are not allowed in Australia. So my remaining choices are a husky or a German Shepard. I admit that huskies are beautiful looking dogs and I like how they howl like a wolf. But I know they have a number of disadvantages. They are amazing escape artists. There's footage of one on youtube clearing a side fence at a house. The fence was decently high but the husky made it over easily. The speed and agility were really impressive. Apparently, they're also hard to discipline. Quite challenging to get them to do what you want them to do. And they also love digging in backyards so gardeners will not be pleased.

GSDs are supposedly easier to train. But unfortunately, they can have hip problems later in life. And a shorter life span overall. Both breeds shed a huge amount of fur. Despite the striking looks of the husky, they have too many disadvantages. At my place with it's medium height gate and low fences, a husky would be gone in about two seconds. I guess I'd have to go with a GSD.

Huskies have a high prey instinct too, so if you have other animals, they'll chase them and probably kill them from their exhuberance. They're a high need animal that requires a lot of exercise and interaction on a daily basis. I don't recall German Shepherds having issues with life expectancy. They're very loyal dogs and are easy to train (one of the reasons a lot of police dogs are Shepherds). Sebastian is pretty high needs right now, but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that he's a puppy. I find it humorous that he growls when he hears my husband coming up the stairs at night. It's like he thinks there's a stranger in the house every single time even though he gets all excited and runs to play the instant he sees who it is. So I get forewarning now when my husband is coming upstairs (since I have been watching tv at night a lot the last few weeks. Weird show on Netflix called the 4400 is my latest binge show. Been watching 2-3 episodes a night the past week or so.

Had to buy more sugar as I've gone through 8 lbs of sugar in the past two days. Good thing I'd stocked up before the pandemic as it's one of the items they're rationing at the stores right now. So I now have another 8 lbs. We finished stripping the tree today too and now I have just as much if not more fruit than what I started with before I did the 18 jars I've finished. Good thing the plum tree isn't fruiting this year or I'd be really stressed to get this all done. Apple tree, the squirrels are helping themselves so we'll see how many we actually get. My husband and I agreed we need to top that tree after this growing season so I can do a better job of training the primary branches. We just have to agree on the height. I was thinking about 4 feet taller than what he's apparently thinking so maybe I'll split the difference. Definitely needs to be short enough that I can reach the top fruit with the ladder.

6 minutes ago, Sari ONeal said:

Y'all ready for the flip of the switch?

It's just mere minutes away.

Made a sale maybe a couple of hours ago, while sleeping. It shows as June 1 in my phone app and as May 31 in the web site. It's 0,36 cents, the normal rate. Possibly the very last item sold in the "before" era, on the verge of a revolution. I feel a bit sad as the new normal is about to possibly hit hard.

Sheila oh yea I also remember about the high prey drive of huskies. Another disadvantage of that breed. There are some chickens currently in the backyard though there will be a chicken coop built soon. Being large dogs, German Shepherds generally wouldn't have a long life span anyway - compared to smaller dogs. Ive read it's just a little shorter than the life span of a husky - about a year or two difference. 

Wendy, that is amazing that you had a GSD that lived for 17 years. And no hip issues either. He must have been cared for very well. Actually, many years ago, my family had a dog that was half German Shepherd and half Golden Collie. A very intelligent dog with a great personality. She lived a very long life too but can't recall if she made it to 17. Probably lived to about 14 - 16 or thereabouts. I remember the last weeks of her life when she couldn't stand on her own anymore. She would sit most of the time and if she tried to stand up, her back legs would collapse underneath her. By contrast, I remember when she was younger, she could jump over the front fence which was really impressive.

12 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Y'all ready for the flip of the switch?

It's just mere minutes away.

I think the change went into effect at noon EST based on what Kate posted in the announcement threads and then someone posted shortly after that they just had their first small sale. ANd this just showed up as an option on my landing page. I never did get the email.

IMG_3557.thumb.PNG.072fd264065965af37f6705e5b821b93.PNG

All my sales this morning were "normal" based on previous level. Although the two video sales were smaller than I'd hoped before the change went into effect as I take a 15% cut on those from here on out.

The sales figures that other contributors are posting in the other threads are pretty painful to look at. That's one thing but I'd hate to see what the video commissions will look like. I think they'll be truly painful. I'm going to disable my video port as soon as possible. Interestingly, Ive never received those $1.50 or $0.60 video sales as far as I know and I don't intend to get the new rates either. I'll still keep my photo port open until I get my next payout. After that occurs, I'll disable that one too. I'll still keep my forum account and contribute to discussions etc.

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail.

There's absolutely NO incentive to upload here, why would I spend my time on shooting and perfecting my images in post process for TEN FUCKING CENTS?????

And they call it FAIR?

I think the only way to achieve peace with this is to just click on that "NO" on licensing options, and be done with it. Ten years down the drain. I always treated SS submissions as the FIRST and most important, the other sites sometimes waited for YEARS to get those same pics as SS was getting regularly.

It's painful and utterly infuriating, and they expect us to strive for more sales and submit more pics to try to "climb the ladder" so they can fuck us over again come January?

LOL, my ass! Incentive?

In the meantime the CEO is collecting a fatter paycheck and bonuses for these "awesome" changes. Yeah buddy, straight from the skin off our backs.

FFS.