The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

I planted some butterfly bush and the pineapple sage to attract the butterflies too. And I have lantana, but it doesn't seem to do well here. A friend told me to use neem oil on it and that seems to be helping with what ever the fungal crap is that's all over it. Bugs eating it too, but since I started spraying the oil, it's clearing up (at least not affecting the new growth for a change).

• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

Sari, the reviews are very inconsistent. I get clips rejected for noise, dust, what ever when a clip from the same shoot same settings same everything is accepted. I resubmit the rejected footage and

Posted Images

Lantanas do usually great here, I just hate it that I have to buy new ones every year because it's too cold here for them to stay alive over winter.

I saw the prettiest Butterfly bush on Lowe's website, the bloom cluster has two colors in one and it's just delightful. The reviews on it were not stellar, however. I already have five Butterfly bushes in a few colors, so it's not like I NEED another one, LOL!

I'm still having a hard time getting my seedlings to start growing properly - they germinated well, and when it was time to put them outside to harden them, it got too cold, then it got way too hot, then it was cloudy and wet, and they just haven't had a chance to get there. Maybe SOME of them will eventually grow....

I have scattered a crap load of wildflower seeds out in the back to the "wildflower field" that we usually don't cut down when we cut the grass. Will be interesting to see if any of that ever comes up.

The lantana isn't fond of the cold here either, but it doesn't get nearly as cold as it does there I'm sure. I heard you're supposed to put covers over some plants to keep them from dying over winter. Not sure if that would save lantanas though. These are looking better than they've looked in awhile since I started spraying them. Not sure how often I'm supposed to reapply but I've been doing it about once a week or so. Now that they're starting to bloom I'll probably do it less often just so I don't put anything on there that'll deter the butterflies.

My son has had issues with ringing in his ears for a few weeks now. He's been trying to get an appointment to get them checked but they wouldn't see anyone for anything that's not life threatening during the shut down. Finally got an appointment yesterday and of course, being the concisely accurate aspey kid that he is, he answered yes to chronic cough on the questionaire (he has asthma). So they cancelled his appointment and are having him tested for Covid today. PITA. The kid has a chronic asthmatic cough. He's had it for over a year because he refuses to admit he has asthma. So I get to take him to one of the drive through testing sites today and they hopefully will reschedule his appointment for tomorrow. Talk about paranoid medical system. He's technically an adult so I don't go to his appointments anymore (since he's 19) but with the Asperger's, I don't think he fully functions on an adult level 😕

Does anyone else here have a copy of Adobe Premiere Elements 13? I reading online that version 13 of this software can output 4k video. Though Ive just looked at all the export options on my copy and there is certainly no 4k option that I can see. 

Sari, thanks for confirming that version 14 can export 4k. There are at least two online sources that claim that version 13 can do 4k but I cannot see how that's possible with my copy.

Out of curiosity, can you export 4k as MP4 or MOV progressive on 14?

Patrick - it appears that you can do MP4 progressive, but for MOV you have to select the codec separately, and to tell you the truth, I don't know which one would be the correct one / and / or how much difference it makes since most don't seem to match the source (4K) clip. So not sure on that one.

Sari thankyou. Version 14 sounds pretty versatile in that case. Those who are saying that version 13 does 4k state that you cannot output MP4 or MOV in 4k but are restricted to some other container type that I'm not familiar with. So not really ideal anyway. I did get 13 really cheap - I guess cos it's a bit old. Might have to upgrade to 14!

The standalone versions of Premiere elements are pretty cheap, anyway, if I were you I'd just go to the newest version. Chances are you can get it with an upgrade price because you have the older version, and not have to pay the "full" price.

*edit - looks like it's $79.99 for the upgrade ($99.99 otherwise)

LOL Wendy. Its a purdy "weed" IMO :D 

I'm no help with the technical stuff. I haven't used elements in forever. I'm using PS6 pretty much exclusively. But only for images. I tried doing some video edits and the size was so small afterwards I just stick with the basic edits in iMovie.

I was hoping to take my camera in to get the sensor cleaned, but they only do curbside deliveries. Won't take cameras or equipment in as they don't want to contaminate their work space (the camera might breath covid on them after all) kind of ridiculous IMO, but not like I can do anything about it. So I ordered a lens cleaning kit from Amazon and jumped off that cliff and cleaned one of the cameras myself. It was the camera that had less dust on the sensor and it seems to have helped. The other one, I'll probably have to wait until the camera store comes back to some semblance of reality so I can take it in there. Frustrating not to be able to use that camera right now but at least I have another one.

Speaking about weeds, a few days ago I pulled out all the Goldenrods that were trying to take over. I already pulled out a bunch last year, but they came back more aggressively, and while they're kinda pretty when they bloom, I'm not willing to deal with them all the time to keep them beaten down. So I pulled them, hoping to get all of the roots, and dumped them in a spot where - if they want - they can grow all they want. Far away from the house...LOL

We also had a pair of mating rat snakes in the yard today; Bob was going nuts barking and when I went to see, I spotted something moving really weird. Turned out it was two snakes kinda flailing their "front ends" high above the ground. I went to get my camera, but by the time I got back they had moved from a great open spot to where I couldn't get a decent pic because they were behind grass and plants and other stuff. Dangnabit, it's not every day you get to witness that!

3 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

LOL Wendy. Its a purdy "weed" IMO :D 

I was hoping to take my camera in to get the sensor cleaned, but they only do curbside deliveries. Won't take cameras or equipment in as they don't want to contaminate their work space (the camera might breath covid on them after all) kind of ridiculous IMO, but not like I can do anything about it. So I ordered a lens cleaning kit from Amazon and jumped off that cliff and cleaned one of the cameras myself. It was the camera that had less dust on the sensor and it seems to have helped. The other one, I'll probably have to wait until the camera store comes back to some semblance of reality so I can take it in there. Frustrating not to be able to use that camera right now but at least I have another one.

I agree it is a purdy weed, and the buyyerflies love it, but it chokes out native butterfly and caterpillar food plants :( I have never ventured cleaning a sensor yet.

Sari your wildlife park sure keeps you entertained :)

Sheila, do you still use the professional version of Adobe Premiere on occasions? Ive heard it's an extremely versatile program. Ive got to give it a try one day.

Sari, that would be amazing and rare to see two snakes mating n the wild. Moments like that in nature are extra special.

I was lucky enough to get underwater footage of these two sea hares on super 8 movie film. This was the first and only time Ive come across sea hares. They were in a rock pool (what some people refer to as tidal pools.) The film was transferred to VHS tape. Would be good to find the original film again and get it transferred to HD or 4k.

12 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Sari your wildlife park sure keeps you entertained

Yup, had a big scorp in the sink this morning, and when I went to rob eggs from the loft in the barn, there was a big rat snake. Looked like it had just had a meal, too, probably got some eggs, or chicks, before I got to them.

Heard a Barred owl last night, right after a Chuck-will's-widow flew close by in the back yard, making its funny grunty sounds when it was almost dark. I could just barely see it in the dusk. Fireflies are out, too, and I wish there were more of them so I could try to shoot them.

We also had some storms blow through early this morning, and the weather radio started screaming bloody murder at about four. Sleeping after it began was unsuccessful. Yawn!

Patrick, I don't have Adobe Premier. Just Photoshop CS6. I was using CS4 before (and still have that version on my laptop so I can work on images with money in them when I shoot those since CS6 won't even let me open the files). I'm holding off going to the cloud version for a variety of reasons, but mainly because I don't want to have to pay for something indefinitely. I want to own the copy of what ever I have so I don't have to worry about it suddenly not working and I hate change. I'd be irritated with constant updates and having to relearn how to use the program all the time.

We are supposed to be hit by a heat wave this weekend. Hoping it's not as bad as they're saying it's going to be. My garden is doing well as a result of the sunny weather at least. The beans started sprouting yesterday. Tomato plants are both over 4 feet tall already. Flowering but not fruiting yet.

I'm envious for the raspberries -- I LOVE them, but after having tried to grow them here many times and failing, I gave up. We have wild blackberries everywhere, however, I'm having to pull them out of my flowerbeds, too. I think the birds are spreading them in their poop :P Too bad I'd rather have raspberries... my most fave berry ever.

Can you sit down to do the weeding? That way you don't need to bend down so much. Even just flat footed squatting is better.

Sari, I have issues with orthostatic hypotension, so if I squat to weed, when I stand up, I get severe onset dizziness. So it's better if I have something low to sit on or kneel on my knees (really need to find the knee pads, I know I bought a pair but don't know where they got put). Since I put the decorative fencing around the planter beds to keep Sebastian out, I can't sit on the edge of the planter beds very easily anymore. It's a hassle. I'm sure I'll figure something out. The peaches are looking ripe and this morning some actually are (they were all rock hard a few days ago but a few are now much softer than I was expecting) so looks like I'll be picking and processing peaches for the next few days too. Going to make teenagers help with that process though. There are a lot of peaches despite the heavy handed pruning job I did on the tree last year.

Could you fix the decorative fence so that you can temporarily remove it for when you need to work inside it, and then put it back? Is it in smaller sections?

Peaches... I thought my peaches were fine after that 2nd cold snap we had in spring, but it killed all the apricots, and all peaches from two trees, and what little is left in the third tree is bug infested and unusable. Like two handfuls of it. Also the smaller apple tree has no apples at all, and the bigger one that was completely full of apples last year only has a small amount of apples, and they all have a dry looking wide stripe around them on the ones that are left. Not sure if the cold caused that, too.

In essence, no fruit whatsoever this year. The coyotes will be sad!

I was working on my flowers all day again, but somehow it's not visible in any way...LOL Maybe, if they DO grow and get pretty one day, it will actually look like I did all that hard work...haha :P

More storms on the way, there's a line that extends from southern TX all the way across OK, and then across KS - three states in one big sweep! We had one line like that (not as long, though) come through in the wee hours of the night, I remember the weather radio came on as some point, my husband got up and went out to secure something from the wind, and I was probably asleep before he got back... and I think I heard thunder one time some time later. I guess I wasn't about to get woken up that time :P

The line coming in is still about 160 miles away, and is moving at about 25mph, so it'll be another seven-ish hours before it gets here, provided it doesn't stall or speed up.

Looks pretty cool on the map!

line05242020.JPG

Sari, it's smaller sections but each one slips into the one to the left of it (or right, depending on how you set it up) so it's all locked into place when it's done then I have velcro plant strips wrapping the top sections together so he didn't squeeze between them so it'd be a bit of a hassle to remove and replace them. I'm sure I'll figure something out. I only really need to weed about once a month during the spring and then stuff won't grow as much when we aren't getting as much rain (since I tend not to water the pathways). I try to use teenagers to help with weeding when ever possible, but with them doing all these homeschooling sessions online, I never know when they're online for class and when they're just messing around with games and such. I am going to have my son weed the area between the sidewalk and street for me though. That area is pretty straight forward so I don't have to point out what is a weed and what isn't. If its not gravel, its a weed.

I picked about 1/3 of the peaches yesterday and I have most of them on the counter in a shallow cardboard box to help them ripen. The ripe ones went directly into the fridge for now. The rest of the ones on the tree are smaller and hard so I'll let them ripen and grow on the tree for another week ish then I'll work on those. I figure I can get a pie and at least one possibly two canning sessions out of what I already picked once they ripen enough. I'm using the larger peaches for the pie and the smaller ones for canning. Most of them are smaller unfortunately. I'm still fighting the peach leaf curl on that tree (which seems to have spread to the plum I planted not far from it) so I think that's affecting the size of the fruit. I did a few images of the canning process last year. Thinking I might try to do a few more this year as I'm working on it (if I can be coordinated enough without burning the batch or myself).

The heat wave we are getting is supposed to be all week and it's already quite warm. I almost never wear shorts and a tank top but that's the wardrobe of preference for the warmer weather we are getting already. Fortunately, we are still getting a slight off shore breeze so there's a small amt of cool air blowing in through the windows. Which helps keep the upstairs from being stiffling. Hopefully you guys will get rain but not the flooding rain some states have been getting.

Apparently that long line fizzled out long before it got here - there's a three counties wide rainless area on the rainfall  map, so the system ran out of fuel a couple of counties after the radar screencap.

That said, we still have a 80% chance of thunderstorms for today, 90% chance for the night, and then 40-60% from there on every day and night till Friday.

The forecast is an inch and a half of rain for today, then much less for the remaining days. We'll see I guess.

I need to figure out a way to cool down the upstairs better since we don't have AC. Poor dog was panting so we had to take him back downstairs outside so he could cool down. Not sure what we are going to do for bedtime since he'll bark if I leave him downstairs alone but he's not going to be comfortable sleeping up here either even with the fans running :( My dtr is sitting outside with him for now til he stops panting.