The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Awww,  Linda, I'm so glad to hear she did fine, and I hope he improves with leaps and bounds now :)

We had some really high wind gusts this morning, and I woke up to my husband dashing outside to save stuff that the wind blew off the porch. I went out to get some of my vulnerable plants to safety, and while there, I looked across the SW pasture. In my sleepy head, I tried to understand what I was seeing: "hmm... when did we have a giant big bush grow right there in the pasture...?"

Then, I realized one of our tallest trees had bit the dust (or wind? :P) and was now resting on the ground, with only the treetop presenting itself to me, looking like a big giant bush. That tree was growing in the same "clump" with another tall tree that's still up, but I wonder how long it will take for that to come down now that its partner is no longer there for mutual support.

Wild way to wake up.

Apparently, there was a high wind warning this morning in the counties just west of us, and the forecast said (reading it afterwards) that some of the stronger winds could draw close to the western edge of our county... which is where we are. So, thankies..... the nearest weather station to west had 65 mph gusts, the one nearest to east had only 43 mph. I think we got one or two of the high ones...

• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

Thank You, Wendy! Merry Christmas to everyone!  

Posted Images

Thanks Wendy and Sari :) She's inside again now for the night and is very sleepy. Been a long day but a good one as she's doing well :) I'm knackered from constantly going in and out checking on her. I expect I will sleep well tonight!

Sari, I bet that was weird seeing the tree/bush! Must have been some winds to bring it down.

Wow Sari, I'm glad to hear there was no major structural damage. I'm guessing clearing out the tree is going to be a bit of a chore. Firewood for the winter? 

Linda, glad to hear quackers is doing well. I'm sure it's been exhausting for both of you.

Nothing exciting here. Theoretically, they're going to start lifting stay at home restrictions around Monday for the Bay Area. Just to allow curbside pick up from some non-essential businesses. Personally, I can't imagine going to any of those anyway. If I want something that I don't need to see to make a decision, I've just been ordering it online.

Sheila - it's out in the pasture, so no danger to the house, and the closest structure is the south side fence, which it fell away from, and even then the fence is over 150 feet away from the base of the tree. The closest part of the fallen tree is 250 feet from the house, so that's like 5 or 6 houses down the street in SF, or thereabouts?

We don't have any trees close enough to the house that could hit it if they fell. There is, however, one tree next to the barn that could mash the south side of the barn if it fell that way. It could also damage the wood shop, if it fell towards south.

Sari, I knew the one that fell wasn't close to the house but I wasn't sure if you had others that were. 

Has anyone been watching the webinars on Adobe the past few weeks? I caught the one on video last week and this week they're talking about illustrative editorials (what they call illustrative editorials, it's different from what ShutterStock allows). The final webinar is next week. Thinking I'll go back and watch the previous ones later today and tomorrow. Not sure how to find the links but they had them on crowdcast.

Sheila - yeah, that, and the wind COULD have done other damage, too, you just never know. We didn't have a clue that it was supposed to get windy, either, as the warning wasn't for our county.

Also, yes, it'll be chopped up for firewood, and it'll be a helluva job because the tree is huge at the base. Farther up won't be a problem where the tree splits to smaller trunks, but the bottom five or six feet (if not more?) of it is really big, and a the chainsaw won't get it unless you can cut it in halves.

If Adobe sends you emails, those links about the webinars are probably in them? I seem to get lots of email from them, I just never read any of them. I haven't seen any of the webinars, either.

They have a family of bob cats that live over by the marsh in Irvine. I only ever saw them once (mom with her kits) and I didn't have my camera with me at that time because I was volunteering and we were getting ready for the next group of kids. By the time I got my camera and came back, they were outta there :( 

Great images Sari and Charles!

1 hour ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Charles, that spotted pattern looks amazing. Is that a young bobcat?

I really don't know its age. I should probably read up on it.

I was sitting in my kitchen and heard the birds tweeting up a storm. Looked up and saw the bobcat coming down the hill. Ran to the office and grabbed my camera. By the time I got back it had moved around to our eating area. We'd had a couple of birds hit our window there and their scent was clearly still there. So it was sniffing around. I took the photo through the window at ground level from about four feet away. Knocked on the window to get the bobcat to look up. And that's how I got the shot.

You guys are lucky to have so much wildlife close by. My husband much prefers the density of the city. We compromise and live in the burbs because of the kids (and I really don't want to live in the middle of a city, even less so now after seeing how the pandemic affected more densely populated areas). I do like the editorial content living close to a big city offers though. 

8 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

You guys are lucky to have so much wildlife close by. My husband much prefers the density of the city. We compromise and live in the burbs because of the kids (and I really don't want to live in the middle of a city, even less so now after seeing how the pandemic affected more densely populated areas). I do like the editorial content living close to a big city offers though. 

I was walking down to help an elderly neighbor and his wife - distance about 0.4 mile - and I heard a crashing in the undergrowth to my left. Turned out I had spooked a mule deer. So it put some distance between the two of us and then stopped and stared me down. Sadly, I didn't have my camera with me.

Other than that, the cardinals have been very noisy and the desert quail seem pretty active. I took this a couple of days ago:

k8sw46.jpg

This is the gist of the wildlife we get in our backyard. And they're stealing from the american blue jays (which is whom I set the feeder up for). I need to get something I can put in the middle of the yard some how rather than hanging it from the patio. The squirrels leap on and off the feeder (frequently spilling the contents when they leap off).

one-brown-squirrel-on-bird-600w-16791524

Sheila you need a feeder pole that's squirrel proof, something along these lines -- https://birdfeederhub.com/best-squirrel-proof-bird-feeders-poles/

We don't get squirrels on our feeders - probably because Bob keeps them away, and our Blue Jays are really not welcome because they chase other birds away. But then, the Woodpeckers will shoo the Blue Jays off.....

https://ak.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/1045661299/preview/stock-footage-birds-eating-seeds-on-top-of-a-post-northern-cardinal-gets-chased-off-by-a-blue-jay-which-gets.webm

We've been having the Cardinals around, and what amazes me is the White-crowned Sparrows - I only used to see them in winter, and even then it was a rare sight. Now they're still here, and there's several of them. They're so cute! :)

https://ak.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/1045661305/preview/stock-footage-white-crowned-sparrow-at-a-bird-feeder-in-winter.webm

Of course we have Chickadees, Tufted Titmice and Goldfinches. I haven't seen the Nuthatches, however, not sure why they're not coming to the feeders.

Then, all the birds that don't come to the feeders, but that you see all the time; Bluebirds, Scissortails, Mockingbirds, Phoebes, Killdeer, Chuck-will's-widows (they fly around at dusk) and whatnot :)

Sari, I got a hook, but its not tall enough to prevent the cats from getting to the birds. I'll have to look again now that summer is coming up and those types of things should be in home depot and/or Lowes. We get a variety of birds, but mostly the blue jays, mourning doves and a variety of smaller sparrows and similar. I forget the name of the one tiny bird that comes frequently. The cats sit on the patio above the feeder too, but it's tucked under the roof section so they can't get to any of the birds coming in or going (hopefully). ANd I just planted beans and cucumbers so the birds are using the trellis' for those as an intermediary spot when they come and go now too.