The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Just now, Patrick Cooper said:

Charles, what an amazing sight. I bet that roadrunner is also well accomplished at keeping out of reach of Wile E Coyote!

I hope so. We live on the edge of National Forest so we get quite a lot of wildlife. We see Coyotes from time to time but we hear them more often. I think the roadrunner is at more risk from the Coopers Hawk (no relation ūüėÄ) than the Coyotes.¬†

I don't know if the roadrunner kills its catch by banging it against our house but it does seem to like showing it off. We have noticed this behavior quite a few times in the past. Hopefully I can get a good photo one of these times.

• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

Thank You, Wendy! Merry Christmas to everyone!  

Posted Images

Charles - I'm sure the Roadie will use any hard object to bang the prey against - the side of the house would work - and if there isn't anything to use, they just bang it against the ground.

Our Roadies don't seem to get near the house any more, but I see them sometimes on the trail cam in the pasture.

I've just spotted the first Oriole ever here. I haven't seen a single one in 15 years, and today one was on the Hummingbird feeder. It was at the farthest away feeder, so I'm not sure if it's a Baltimore Oriole or an Orchard Oriole. I'm thinking it's the first one, but I hope to get some decent pics to properly ID it.

Rain in forecast for the entire week! ūüėģ

Charles if a bird bangs into a window here, it usually means they ran into it and that is not good :(

Cartoons have a lot to answer for, I still think of roadrunners as being as big as a coyote even though I have seen pictures of them ... childhood impressions are hard to shake off.

Sari cool on seeing the Oriole.

I had a new sighting here the other day, a bird I have never seen here before, a Victorian Riflebird. It is a Bird of Paradise and beautiful. I didn't get a decent image of it :(

Wendy - hopefully you get some good shots of the bird later on :)

Patrick - aww, what a cute crustacean :D

Oh yeah, the weather ---

it's rainy and cold here, unseasonally cold at 47F.

And yesterday I got pics / video from three family members showing how it was snowing at their places...

thanks for asking Sari because I was starting to wonder what the deal was over there. I don't recall how long I've had images in queue there, but I suddenly have a lot still pending. Their illustrative editorial reviews are pretty quick on the turnaround time, but not the regular images.

I've been playing with kittens here. They're starting to get playful chasing each other and playing with toys so it's been fun yesterday and today. They're still making a mess so lots of clean up too of course. They don't self groom very well at all so twice/day wiping them down cleaning faces and bums.

LOL. they still sleep a lot, so that helps with getting a few things done. And we've been doing a photo session or two each day too. I had my dtr take Sebastian on a long walk so hopefully that'll wear him out too. He's still being manic at night. Does not want to settle down for bedtime. Fortunately, I can crate him if he doesn't listen (we do give him a few tires to settle down so he can sleep on the bed but so far, he's failed).

15 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Wendy - hopefully you get some good shots of the bird later on :)

Sari, it is the first time on over 20 years that I have seen it so I am not hopeful to be honest.

7 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

BTW, does anyone have pics in review queue for 10 days on AS?

I submitted a batch of videos there three or so days ago, and they're already through review. Pics are still waiting, and usually it's to the tune of 3 or 4 days max.

AS seems to be taking aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages lately

Sheila those kittens would be way too distracting I have to admit. What colour are they and how old are they?

Wendy, they're about a month old right now. One is all black and one is black and white. Here's a few images I've captured so far.

adorable-black-tabby-kitten-blue-260nw-1  close-portrait-adorable-black-white-600w

They've changed the format for our portfolios now. There's an option to click on a heart above each image. I'm guessing it's to tag them as favorites rather than bookmarking? Just noticed the change a few minutes ago.

As for Adobe, I just checked an my oldest submissions have been in queue for 10 days. I just had one image reviewed early this morning, so I'm guessing the turnaround time is 10 ish days. 

LOL. That's a long drive. Not sure they'd do so well in the car that long. They are adorable. They're starting to climb things already. Definitely a challenge in the studio, but in the long run, that's a good thing. Means they'll be more socialized when they are ready to be adopted. Both started purring for the first time today too.

Just now, Sari ONeal said:

They're so stinking adorable when they're little, not very many things can compete with that :)

What about puppies LOL.

Sari, that crustacean in my video was a really huge size and turned out to be really docile when it was eventually caught. Over here in Australia, they're called yabbies and they can be very destructive to dams. This particular one was in a dam so it had to be caught. They burrow into the bottom of the dam so unfortunately water leaks out. Their scientific name is actually Cherax destructor. I used to have a pet yabby years ago that I kept in an aquarium. 

44 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

What about puppies LOL.

Sari, that crustacean in my video was a really huge size and turned out to be really docile when it was eventually caught. Over here in Australia, they're called yabbies and they can be very destructive to dams. This particular one was in a dam so it had to be caught. They burrow into the bottom of the dam so unfortunately water leaks out. Their scientific name is actually Cherax destructor. I used to have a pet yabby years ago that I kept in an aquarium. 

good to eat :)

4 minutes ago, Wendy Townrow said:

good to eat :)

Oh indeed! They are extremely popular to eat. As for me, I prefer to watch their natural behaviour rather than eat them. I'm generally not into eating crustaceans. Of course everyone's different. 

Sheila, the kittens are adorable! ‚̧ԳŹ

Thanks for the well wishes for Quackers. The op went well and she is home now. I'll be glad when the recovery period is over and she can be with the others properly. In the mean time I've put her outside but caged to keep her safe and out of the pond. Topsy came over to check out the new arrangements :D

20200514-bestwick-quackers-cage.jpg