Sari ONeal

The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

I had my almost disastrous encounter with a coppermouth one day. (we call them Water Moccasins)  What saved me was that she opened her mouth and the pink stood out against the dark mud she was laying in. A bite would not have been good since I was in the middle of nowhere with no cell phone reception or anything.

anyway the other day I drove my truck southbound on the main road in the Everglades when I saw something on the road northbound. First I thought it was some debris, coming closer, I realized it was a snake in need of saving before somebody would run him/her over. People go faster than they should on that road sometimes. I stopped the truck and walked over only to find out it was a beautiful Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake of about 5 feet.(smaller than average) With the help of my  tripod i was able to get her to safety. She was very grateful I stopped. She was talking to me, sticking her tongue out and vigorously saying hello with her tail. On the way back I encountered some overheated cyclists in need of food and water. They were equally grateful. It was a good day!! (this is a phone picture, i only had my pinhole cameras with me and a 14 sec -or longer- exposure of a rattlesnake with a pinhole camera just didn't seem right)

Close-up of a wild Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake in the Florida Everglades National Park

Ruudeeh - Water Moccasins are usually called Cottonmouths because the inside of their mouth is white and they open their moth wide open to scare you. Copperheads are  different; they don't much stay in water, unlike Cottonmouths which are usually found near or in water.

Oh look, this article has Barry's pic, too (the last copperhead)  https://www.livescience.com/43641-copperhead-snake.html

Great pic of the rattler, good thing you had the tripod along.

There was a guy a couple of counties away from here that saw a timber rattler on the road, stopped and while catching it, got bitten twice. Then he put it in the toolbox of his truck. Then his wife called an ambulance and because they were out in the country, they drove to meet the ambulance half way to get the guy to the hospital faster. He died before they ever got to the ambulance. Then the game warden had to come get the snake from his toolbox - and set it free where it came from.

😮

Rob - nah, not even enough for me to remember to watch out for them :P

Ok Coppermouths. my mistake. I corrected it. I just keep calling them Water Moccasins . Easier for me and they are very common here and whatever they are called, no snake to mess with.

I don't know what I would have done if I didn't have my tripod. Probably looking for a branch or a stick or something. Either way, my hands and feet would not have come near that snake. Those  full grown Eastern Diamondbacks can definitely kill you and I like to get older than today.

I might have to try that idea for my daughter. I was out taking photos of the new front of the school (which used to be the back of the school, but they restored the historic section so it looks like Greek architecture with the marble type pillars in front of the building, which is more than a city block long). We haven't gotten her cap and gown from the school yet though. I should ask her if she's going to be getting those soon.

Another idea is to get kids to dress in their prom gear and take a photo out the front of their homes without getting close. The kids can have a virtual prom date over zoom!

They're apparently giving all the seniors yard signs saying they're class of 2020 tomorrow. Just got an email/call/text (we get all three routes) from the High School letting us know the signs will be dropped off at each students home some time tomorrow and they're going to do some kind of drive by celebration thing on May 1st at some TBD time where first responders and others will drive by and make noise to honor the grads. Should be interesting. My dtr is like "I don't want to stand outside by myself with them doing that". LOL.

Our cap and gowns are red. I didn't think to check Amazon. They seem to have just about everything these days so that makes sense.

Wendy, my dtr said they're planning to do some kind of thing with her closest friends after they lift the isolation orders. Dinner out or something. hopefully that'll be able to happen before the fall. She has virtual get togethers just about every night. I had to ask her to tone it down last night because they were still at it after midnight and I actually had to go to sleep early so I could take the cat into the vet for her check up this morning.

Plenty of snakes over here on Kangaroo Island. Mostly black tiger snakes and occasionally copperheads (but they're rarely seen.) According to one source, the tiger snake is the seventh deadliest snake in the world. Luckily, the tigers around here are reluctant to mess with you. They will usually get out of your way if you accidentally come across them rather than confront you. Though I once came across a little baby tiger snake that gave me a little half-hearted little chase (just a very short distance.). 

I saw a bat just the other night in the storage room. It was flying around and then took refuge in a corner. It's an infrequent visitor. Once in a while, it makes a random appearance in this same room.

I have actually been trying to photograph it in flight. I had all the gear set up for a bunch of nights in a row but it didn't show up. I was waiting for hours.

Yea photographing them in flight would not be easy. Though I did have a plan. I was hoping that during the flight, the bat would pass through a particular point (probably a little easier to predict inside a room where's less space to fly around in.) Regardless, I chose a point and prefocused my manual focus lens on it and stopped down to about f13 to maximise depth of field. Tripod mounted camera. And I had also set up an off camera flash that was aiming at that point on it's own tripod. I did some tests to ensure that the flash exposure was correct for that distance. The plan was to release the shutter right before the bat intersected that point. Only problem is that the bat never showed up.

You can also buy gear that creates a path with lasers. Whenever something passes through the laser beam, the camera automatically fires. Such gear used to be incredibly expensive but prices have gone down a lot. Though it still is a bit pricey.

Deb, look up "trap focus" and see if your camera supports it.

One of my old cameras supported it and I got some pics of Hummingbirds like that back then. Not sure if my current camera supports it.

Basically, you set a distance, and if something comes into it, the camera fires. You may have to hold the shutter down while waiting, but it doesn't do anything until something is in the range.

Of course, bars are super fast, so you might end up with lots of OOF pics.

Then, if you want to get creative, you could do something like this:

https://digital-photography-school.com/turn-dslr-camera-wildlife-camera-trap/

Deb - pretty sure it's a horse, could be a Gypsy Vanner judging by the amount of mane and feathers (the long hairs on his legs) he has. Gypsies can be quite small, in the pony range, but they'd still be considered horses as a breed. They look like miniature drafts (American spelling on that one ;) )

You probably won't lose anything if you put both in the keywords :D

Pretty Baby! :)

I thought Sebastian just naturally had stiff wiry hair/fur. I gave him a bath today (first one since we adopted him and I'm guessing it may have been his first ever) and now he's amazingly fluffy and soft. He was not impressed with the process but he sure does look and feel better :)  And then he rolled around in the grass on his walk to the park (of course).

Great photo of the horse Deb. Nice find on your walkabout.

Sheila that is cool that the kids are planning something good. The kids this year are certainly having a time to remember. I had a giggle at getting her to tone it down ...

Patrick I actually saw a snake yesterday but only caught sight of the last bit of the tail disappearing. Long and skinny so probably a tree snake. Most snakes will get out of your way rather than confront you, they would rather they use their venom for food catching. Baby snakes are actually more dangerous because they dont know how to regulate their venom.

Deb, I have lots of bats here and have never managed to photograph them ... they are a blur as they go past. Wow that is a pretty horse.

Sari I had never heard of that breed before. If I were to ever own a horse it would be something like that.

Sheila did you get a shot of Sebastian after his bath?

Wendy, yes generally that's true of snakes though certain species tend to have a bit of a reputation with regards to their temperament. And sometimes a different geographical location for the same species. For example, while the tiger snakes on Kangaroo Island tend to be a bit mild in their disposition, the tiger snakes on Tasmania supposedly have a bit more attitude. And yes baby snakes are known to be more dangerous than adults due to them not having any control over how much venom they're injecting. Ive had a number of encounters up close with baby tiger snakes. Ive been able to walk away with my life each time. Though I do admit I was really silly when I had one on the palm of my hand when I was quite young! Definitely not something I would do again. 

Wendy, no. I actually let him get in the shower so he had his "bath" in there. Not really conducive to photography. There's an extendable nozzle attachment on the main shower upstairs. And all the shower stalls are quite small. Barely room for one person. Seems to be more of the norm for the Bay Area to have very small showers (although I have to say, two of the bathrooms in this house are ginormous).

We are heading into a warm up and officials are concerned the beaches will be over run with people. Considering how many people were along the rocky shoreline area last weekend, I'd say that's a valid concern. Although everyone I saw when I went to the store today (which is along the shore since our island isn't that big) were wearing mask. Maybe  one person in 10 wasn't wearing one but they were not near anyone else at the time I saw them too.

We have to bathe the dogs in the shower stall sometimes (typically in winter when cold weather + cold water from outside hose isn't a good idea), and it somehow works with Bob because she's not that big, but Marshall is a PITA to bathe because he barely fits in there, and you still have to be able to scrub him all over, too, without getting the whole bathroom flooded.

Luckily it's not needed too often, LOL!

We're in the typical spring weather pattern, and a severe thunderstorm watch was just issued for the area for the evening. We had some storms come through the day before yesterday, and the clouds were doing some wild things (time lapse)...

Caught a Chuck-will's-widow on my trail cam, sitting on a stick singing (mating call?) early this morning in the dark, and then he flew off and around a tree, and as he returned another flew out and back with him - maybe his mate?

That was pretty neat :)

Ive just sold a travel image. Kind of surprising in this current time.

Patrick, yes a baby snake in your hand is not the wisest. That reminded me of some tourists recently who held a blue ring octopus. They had no idea it could have been fatal.

Sheila I have never been able to understand the reason for small shower stalls. Cool that you were able to get Sebastian in there to get bathed :) that is good that people were wearing masks at the beach.

I am thinking a wet room instead of shower stalls is a good idea.

Sari that is wild weather happening. They are suggesting we are going to have a wet winter which is not usual for here. The wet season was a failure this year. The trouble with a wet winter is that is it entirely the wrong time of year for tropical plants. I had to look up what a Chuck-will's-widow was. It is certainly an interesting looking bird. That is cool that you saw it :)

Patrick it never ceases to amaze me what sells when in this game :)