Sari ONeal

The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Congrats Patrick! Hopefully the next milestone will come more quickly for you.

Sari, our weather is back to being bipolar. Sunny next few days then supposed to actually get some rain over the weekend. Which will be nice. We have more water than we've had in years so officially, I guess we aren't in a drought anymore, but it'd be nice to still get more water. 

2 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

our weather is back to being bipolar

Yeahhhh, we had 95F for high on the 8th, and it's been right at freezing at night for the last couple of days, and wind chills were in 20s the night before last.

Bipolar, indeed.

Hey Rob! How's Georgia?

We're doing great out here, *knocking on wood* - it helps to live in the middle of nowhere and only having to go to town around other people once a week or less :)

How are you? The kids?

BTW, this pic is used as a "picture people" pic in frames for sale at Walmart --

child-lovingly-embraces-his-pet-600w-138

20 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Looks like Ive just joined the .33c club. A $15.14 video sale pushed me over the line. Thank you all for the encouragement. Though I must admit it took me a long time to get there. 

Congratulations Patrick, I am slow to get to things too so you are not on your own!

7 hours ago, Rob Hainer said:

What it is? Are you guys surviving the pandemic? 

Hi Rob, good to see you, surviving here (not much different to be honest lol), how are things treating you?

Sari that shot is superb, well done!

Thanks! That pic is still making me money 7 years later. I'm so thankful for it. My photo business is really hurting right now because of this virus thing. Since 2012, I've made most of my income photographing people in sororities and fraternities. I have no idea what will happen to me and my family if things aren't back to normal by fall. I'm way more scared of that than the virus. I'd rather take my chances, knowing that it could kill me as much as anyone else. I'm just a small voice though. 

That's your quintessential "boy and his dog" picture, it doesn't get better than that! :D

And yeah, if all your earnings come from people pics, it's a really bad time for that. Is there any way to convert the skills you already have to shoot things that doesn't involve people, and still make enough $$$ - like product shoots? You have all the equipment, right?

I'm ok for now. I have a good savings. I usually take summers off anyway. I don't know about the product shoots. I don't think anyone his hiring to do that. I don't rely on stock photo income. It's gotten so low now. Im not sure uploading product pics would help make up the lost income. We're talking $60k a year here. 

Oh, I know your college pics are the ones that are making the money - I remember you telling about traveling to colleges and getting great pics for stock on the way :D

But I'm sure there's always demand for people who know how to use their lights and camera :)

Maybe in the high end stuff where the money moves - not the everyday stuff that's dime a dozen.

cute-young-boy-soccer-ball-600w-16802019

Doing some stock shots with my other son and right now, i'm putting together a package for high school or college grads that are missing out on their graduations. I'll offer portraits with them, their family, a nice architectural pic of the school, etc., in a frame. We'll see how that goes. I can do this while still social distancing so it should be cool. 

3 minutes ago, Rob Hainer said:

cute-young-boy-soccer-ball-600w-16802019

Doing some stock shots with my other son and right now, i'm putting together a package for high school or college grads that are missing out on their graduations. I'll offer portraits with them, their family, a nice architectural pic of the school, etc., in a frame. We'll see how that goes. I can do this while still social distancing so it should be cool. 

That's the LITTLE guy? Whoah!!! I remember the shots of him right after birth! How old is he now? Time flies for sure 😮

Your idea sounds pretty good to me, a ready-in-frame set of the important details of their lives. I hope it does well! :)

2 hours ago, Rob Hainer said:

He's six now. He actually likes me doing his photos. He's so used to it. 

he will be suggesting poses and ideas before you know it!

Had another dip into freezing the night before last; the apricots look like they took  a beating, all spotty / discolored.

I was hoping to get to shoot the Lyrid meteor shower (16-25th, peak at 22-23rd), but the sky will have a heavy cloud cover every darn night from here to there. Dangnabit!

We've almost always got marine layer or clouds here, so rarely any opportunity to shoot the night sky. Sorry you'll miss that opportunity Sari. Maybe luck will change and the weather reports will be wrong so you'll get a chance to shoot it. I'm trying to get back into the mode of shooting in my studio lately. Yesterday was fairly productive so we'll see how today goes. I much prefer being outside shooting nature or protests. 

Just went out for a hike. Saw a 3ft long rattlesnake by the side of the trail. Jumped out of my skin because I saw it late; too busy daydreaming. Fortunately, it decided to obey social distancing rules and shot off into the undergrowth. Unfortunately, by the time I gathered my wits it was too late to take a photo. Even so, I'm glad it decided to obey social distancing rules.

My first (and so far only) IRL with a rattle snake was an 8+ foot one. Stupidly I crouched down to get some photos (with my telephoto of course) and it started moving towards me so I quickly changed my plan and backed up. All the photos were OOF. LOL. But at least I didn't get bit. The rangers were glad to hear "she" was back and said the snake comes back and lays under the ranger station's porch every year. They thanked me for letting them know she was back so they could be more aware so as not to disturb her. Needless to say, I didn't go hiking on that trail again. Social distancing snakes is a good plan :) 

Rob - that's the safest way :P

We get random snakes in the yard every once in a while, the only rattler I've seen was a Pygmy rattler, and I don't have a SS pic of it. If I had to guess, it was way before stock days. One of the cats had spotted it, and I could tell by the way she was acting that there was a snake. They get a palpably different attitude when there's a snake around. Being cats, they can't help themselves but being curious, albeit careful :P

Anyway, Pygmy rattlers are tiny, and not something you'd really need to worry about.

We do get Copperheads, they typically like to hang out / cool off under the horse water troughs when the weather is hot. It's usually damp, always has a shade, and the water in the trough cools it nicely. As a bonus, frogs or toads come by and provide an easy snack...

Here's one - exposed and not very happy because of it.

stock-photo-venomous-copperhead-snakeon-

The coolest snake that I ever saw here was a Yellow-bellied Racer. I can't remember whether it was one of the dogs or a cat that spotted it first, but I had to run in the house to get the camera, then back out, hoping it'd still be there. The curious thing these snakes do is they raise their heads way above grass to see around. They're beautiful greenish snakes with yellow bellies, long and slender. And really quick when they decide to get lost, LOL!

In evening sun -

stock-photo-yellow-bellied-racer-coluber

We also get Hognose snakes, grass snakes, rat snakes (they like to raid the chicken run / coop) - need to get a decent pic NEXT time..LOL -  and at the little creek behind the house there are water snakes. They have made me jump a few times when I walked by too close (not noticing them) and they kinda jumped to wake me up...LOL

This one didn't scare me as I saw it ahead of time basking in a sunny spot in water -

stock-photo-water-snake-nerodia-sipendon

Wow! You have way too many snakes for my liking Sari! Great captures though.

I do have one from a zoo. The zoos around here don't keep their glass very clean, so hard to shoot through them. this one was in So Cal. And it's never sold. So not a topic I'm big on photographing given the returns (or lack there of) :D 

rosy-boa-small-attractive-nonvenomous-60

Yeah, my few snook pics don't sell much, either, the best earner is the Hognose with 3 DLs and some $15, the most downloaded is another water snook with a few more DLs, but subs only.