The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Sheila, yeah, Marshall is big indeed, I'm pretty sure he's taller than Wyatt was, and definitely heavier with a wider chest, and Wyatt wasn't exactly small.

Santa's little helper sure is cute :)

And speaking of Santa -- I have a couple of Santa hats and some small pieces of felt upstairs in a paper bag. Mocha keeps going up and bringing them all down, one by one. This morning I found a large Christmas stocking that I had forgotten I had, and don't know where I had put it - Mocha had brought it down as well. I have only ever seen her do it once, but the stuff comes down every day - or night...LOL

• Replies 46.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

Oh, I absolutely believe you. I bawled like a baby when I was medicating the other ginger boy, I felt totally rotten at first for making him so miserable. Luckily we both adjusted, I got better techni

Posted Images

I guess Mocha really likes the christmas supplies. LOL. Jasmine likes scarfs and sweaters. She'll pull sweaters and scarfs off hangers and drag them around the house.  Sometimes I come home and find the stairs littered with articles of clothing from my dtr's room. My closet has a door with a door knob, where as the kids bedrooms have the sliding doors typical for closet doors, and she can open those. And drawers. She's been known to open dresser drawers and pull out all the socks and under clothes as well. The little turd.

Oh yeah, Pipsqueak opens the one sliding door we have - if we need to keep it closed for some reason, we have to pile up something heavy to lean on it so it won't slide. I think all of them can open any door that doesn't have a locking mechanism - like cabinet doors.

And yeah, Mocha will go to the utility room and get dirty laundry from from hampers and scatter it around the house -- thanks a bunch, Mocha.. 😐

Sari, I believe you use Adobe Premiere Elements, right? Something strange has happened to a project of mine and I was wondering if you had any idea on what's going on. Last night, I was editing a microscope video for stock. I had split the video into three segments on the timeline though then the software started acting all buggy and I could no longer see the video content. So I saved it as is and turned off the computer for the night. This morning, I opened up the project and came across a strange sight. The left and right segments (which I was going to delete and discard) were normal. Though the middle segment (which I wanted to keep) was vertical with black bars on the sides. I have absolutely no idea how I created a vertical video. I thought that perhaps it was just a glitch on the timeline and that the real video may not turn out like that. I exported it and unfortunately, it is vertical. 

Ah no worries I fixed it. I came across a youtube tutorial video with options for rotating a video in Adobe Premiere Elements. So that was an easy fix. Still, I don't know how the clip became vertical in the first place. All I was doing last night was trimming the video and removing the audio. I didn't touch anything else.

Patrick, if you PC was lagging you may have clicked on something that turned it; like when it executes the click at a completely different spot than intended because of the lag as your memory is running out.

Mocha brought a Christmas stocking, a Santa hat, and a matching red piece of felt down from the loft last night. She must like red over other colors...LOL (there are also white and green pieces of felt).

Jasmine is more attracted to red items too. I wonder if that's a common thing for cats.

I've been sewing face masks here for the last few days and I've completed just over 40 so far (except for the elastic). I only had enough leftover elastic for about a dozen of them, but it was enough to ship some to my older three girls and their significant others plus one for a friend. I only have one more cotton fabric to work with so until they open up the fabric stores, that'll be the end of that project for now. The rest of the fabric I have is flannel, so not appropriate for the project. I have a few dozen projects that are partially competed that I just never got around to finishing. I finished 5 of those so far and have them all set aside for Christmas presents. Working on clearing out the garage too. We get one bulky item pick up per year included in our trash pick up and we used that a week or so ago to get rid of all the half broken items in the shed and back yard plus 6 branches I cut off the queen palm tree (that thing is a massive PITB to trim since it's so tall and the branches can't go into the green waste because they don't decompose). So over all I guess I've been fairly productive while on forced home isolation. They're saying we are on day 24 now. Feels like much longer...

Patrick, nearly there! You should be getting your pay rise very soon, bet you can't wait :D 

I haven't had time to do any sewing yet. I might have to use this method for masks. Though I do have a proper face mask if I need it, though it looks scary. May be there is a photo shoot in there somewhere!

Today's project was clearing the weeds from the walkway in my backyard and in the mossy area. Also removed all the stepping stones out of the patch of mossy area. Figure it might look better if it's all just the moss. I really don't want to have to deal with mowing grass, but Sebastian really loves grass so I might have to re-think the idea of a mini lawn next year if the moss doesn't look better by then. I should be able to do that myself since the area is about the size of a small bedroom at best. But then I'd have to go get a small electric mower too. ANyway, hopefully clearing it will help the moss grow this spring and summer. The weeds can get quite invasive there. Thinking I might tackle the front yard planter next. It has water retention issues since it's on a hill. So maybe the stackable retaining wall bricks I used in the backyard planters will work better in that area. I can build it up and fill in so the plants that are in there won't be deprived of the water they need. Only down side is I'd have to go to the homedepot to get supplies. So I will probably think about that depending on how the infections go. I'm sure there are more people infected than are testing positive (since they don't test anyone unless they're severely ill).

Here, Sheila - this could be perfect for you:

https://returntonow.net/2018/08/03/want-a-sustainable-grass-like-lawn-plant-clover/

Want to make your yard more sustainable and wildlife friendly, but still want a soft patch of grass to play on? Plant clover!

You can either mix it in with your current grass or have a completely clover lawn.

Clover requires zero fertilizer or herbicide and little to no mowing or watering. Meanwhile it improves the soil, attracts bees, butterflies and other beneficial bugs for your garden. And, it’s even softer to sit on than grass!

And if you don’t want so many white flowers in your patch of green, no problem. Over the last decade a new variety of white clover called microclover has become the trend across Europe and is just becoming a thing in the United States. The microclovers are smaller, don’t grow so many flowers and have softer stems for sitting and walking on:

The Laid-back Gardener lays out 11 benefits of planting clover instead of grass on his blog:

1. Nitrogen fixer. As a legume, clover works symbiotically with bacteria to fix atmospheric nitrogen and make it available to both itself and neighboring plants. That’s why even lawn grasses grow better when clover is present.

2. Less fertilizer. A lawn containing clover needs far less fertilizer, and a 100% clover lawn needs none.

3. Drought Resistant. With its deep roots, clover will remain green through drought, as your neighbor’s lawns turn brown.

4. No mowing. A pure clover lawn doesn’t need mowing, but if you do decide to mow, you’ll only need to do so 3 or 4 times a year.

5. No aerating. Clover can grow in and loosen compacted soil, eliminating the need to aerate.

6. No herbicide. If you’re concerned about a uniform looking patch of green, you don’t have to worry about other “weeds.” Clover tends to smother them as is somewhat invasive.

7. Ground cover. Clover makes an excellent ground-cover for food crops.

8. Beneficial pollinators and wildlife.  Clover produces attractive white flowers that attract beneficial pollinators likes bees and butterflies and provide forage for rabbits (and humans).

9. Repels pests. A lawn rich in clover tends to discourage pesky insects, most of which prefer grasses. Grubs will disappear entirely in an all-clover lawn.

10. Sun or shade. Clover grows well in both sun and partial shade.

11. Dogs can pee on it. Clover doesn’t turn yellow when dogs pee on it.

I might have to look at that. Thanks. Sebastian goes nuts in grass, but doesn't seem as excited about patches of clover we've come across. The moss has little white flowers about twice a year too.

Since I've been going through bins of craft supplies to work on these masks, I came accross three pairs of pj lounge pants I had started for my second dtr when she was in High School, but I never finished. Finished all three pairs today and hemmed them for my youngest dtr. I'm feeling moderately productive :D 

It's been warmer than usual today too, so the upstairs is toasty warm. I opened the windows to air it out and of course the street traffic noise and sounds of people walking by is much more noticable, so Sebastian was trying to figure out where the noise was coming from. I helped him up onto the cat post in our room and he settled right down to watch the show outside. LOL. He can't get up or down from there himself so fortunately, he was done after about 5 min and was ready to explore and play on the floor.

375900023_ScreenShot2020-04-10at5_07_02PM.thumb.png.1131fa0c88137448fcc8cfeaf023ff75.png

That's too cute! :)

Our living room and bedroom windows are so low the dogs can see out easily from their own feet - even when they were puppies - LOL!

Marshall used that to his advantage when he had to go pee as a new arrival - he just ran from one window to the other, whining. He didn't think to go to the door, and the lowest windows on it (or them, the back door is like that, too) are even lower than the others...LOL!!!

Also, all windows have a ledge specifically put in so the cats have a place to sit and look outside.

Oh, I just saw the first Hummingbird of the year a few minutes ago!

It's going to be near or at freezing the next three nights, and tonight is also going to be STUPID windy, with windchill way below freezing. I hope any Hummingbirds that are this far out find a warm, windless spot to stay overnight. Poor things shouldn't be out in the freezing weather at all.

Wow, that's an impressive caterpillar image Sari! Congrats! Yeah, our windows are quite high. The cat post goes just to the base of it. I have one in our room for the cats to sit and look outside since the windowsills are poorly accessible with the way they put the shutters in. They were obviously not custom jobs. Probably done by the previous owner himself. 

Sari, congrats on the nature photo contest. That is a striking caterpillar image.

I haven't done this in quite a while but I brought out one of my super 8 film projectors for a screening with my family. I projected a Daffy Duck cartoon, a documentary on Africa and one of my own films that I shot a number of years ago along the River Murray. My two very young nephews really enjoyed the experience and actually one of them asked if I could project some more films. 

And that's given me an idea. I wonder if I could organise with the local school to set up a movie projector over there and screen some films (old documentaries / cartoons etc.) I'd probably use a 16mm projector in that scenario. I bet the students and the teachers would get a blast out of it. Something to consider after the Coronavirus pandemic is over.