The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

LOL on the dogs taking advantage of your husband. Sebastian does that to my husband too. It's like he knows he's the weak link and he can get what ever he wants from dad. LOL. Over all, I can't complain. He pees and poops outside almost 100% of the time now. It's been days since I've had to scold him for that. And now that he's figured out the doggie door, he goes in and out when he wants from the center room and I have a bed in there for him that he much prefers over the dog house (he mostly plays with his toys in the dog house or drags sticks and other things he's not supposed to have inside there  so he can chew on them without being seen). So far, he goes back outside to do his business. I've been trying to work him up to being in that room more during the day so when we get back to a normal routine (hopefully soon) and I want to go on a photo shoot somewhere, I don't have to worry about having him in the crate for an extended period of time. He can just hang out in that room and go outside when ever he wants. The only down side is that that is how the cats get in and out as well and he still wants to play with the cats so he chases them.

We had grey drizzly day a few days ago, now it's cold but bright blue skies with fluffy white clouds (great for gopro footage). Was supposed to be in the 40's but it's low 60's right now so not so bad. Just finished trimming the tree bush things the neighbors have growing over my patio. They trim them maybe once every other year. Since they did a massive trim the last time (last summer) I feel justified in trimming them massively myself so they don't over grow my patio cover. Wouldn't matter so much except that it's a fire hazzard when I use my BBQ or the fireplace out back because the branches physically touched the venting. Figured since I was up there I might as well record it. We'll see if I got anything useable. The footage cleaning out my gutters started doing decent in sales after they were up for about a year. Although a lot of those sales are now the WIX dollar and a half special. Not as great.

• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

Sari, the reviews are very inconsistent. I get clips rejected for noise, dust, what ever when a clip from the same shoot same settings same everything is accepted. I resubmit the rejected footage and

Posted Images

Oh yeah, the dogs take advantage of him for sure, LOL! And he's supposed to be the "dog person" in the family..... cough cough... I'm just the crazy cat / horse lady :P

For example, they have those Kong balls with handles.... both dogs will bring the ball to me and drop it so I can throw it again. Well, not so with my husband: Bob will bring the ball back but she won't let go of it, she wants to play tug. My husband CAN NOT make her turn loose of the ball. All I need to do is look at her and say "drop it"...

It's hilarious on my part. The dogs know I won't play the tug game; if they try I just turn and walk off, game over. With him, they know he will try to get the dang ball, and Bob especially, will just keep playing tug.

Our "low" last night was 70F, actually it was at 7:40 am - that's nuts, for March.

Then, tomorrow will be cooler and stupid windy, and tomorrow night 44F.  That's gotta be tough for animals, from sweltering heat to cold almost overnight. Yesterday there was a Red-Winged Blackbird on the bird feeder, but he wasn't eating - he was in the shade, trying to catch a breeze, with his wings spread out and beak open to get cooled down. 😮

Does anybody know if Geese and (Muscovy) ducks mix? We have a semi wild Grey Goose in our backyard and she has been sitting on eggs. Her name is Bertha. (First it was Bernie, but then we found out it was a girl lol) We also have several ducks that are about her size, but no other Grey Goose.

We also have a pair of Egyptian Geese - we call them "The Black Eye Geese" . They are sitting on eggs too, but I think they are legit....

Muscovy ducks are pretty social. Like all animals though, they all have their own personalities. I'd try introducing them but with a safe area for each to be in if they don't like each other. The nesting birds may be more territorial where as they might not be as territorial if they were not sitting on eggs. Geese are generally more aggressive in my experience than the muscovy ducks are. Especially Canada geese.

They have a variety of birds that hang out together near Lake Merritt in Oakland. I've seen mallard ducks, moscovy ducks, a white pelican and canada geese all in the same area without any incidents. It wasn't during nesting season though.Good luck with the birds Rudy.

It's quite frosty here with a breeze. Trying to decide if I want to take the dog for a walk or if I'll just let him run around in the back yard. He's decided the backyard isn't so bad after all this morning. Very little whining when I left him downstairs after breakfast (he can still go into the middle room of course to be warm and safe inside, and I've seen him run outside from there to go pee, so he seems to understand that he is supposed to do his business outside, so that's good).

Listening to statewide update. Some days the news can be quite overwhelming. I did make a run to the store today and called my friend (who is in her 80's) to see if she needed anything while I was out (she was out of a lot of things and hasn't ventured out much). They're saying schools will be shut down through the first of May if they open back up at all this academic year.

30 minutes ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

From your previous post, I thought they were pets. If they're wild, then I wouldn't even worry about it. I'm sure they'll work it all out. 

Well I dont worry about child support  or anything. I was just curious since there is no mail goose around.

Technically they are wild yes, but they hang out in my backyard and I  can pet them and all that. The other day she saw me and she ran over to say hi.  I love that.

15 hours ago, Rudy Umans said:

Well I dont worry about child support  or anything. I was just curious since there is no mail goose around.

Technically they are wild yes, but they hang out in my backyard and I  can pet them and all that. The other day she saw me and she ran over to say hi.  I love that.

I don't think the males stick around to raise the babies. I know canada geese, the males do stay, but for most ducks, the female has to do all the caring for eggs and babies on her own. They imprint fairly easily on people so I'm not surprised she runs to greet you. Especially if you give her food. We have fairly tame squirrels here. They're starting to ignore the dog most of the time now too. The puppy still tries to chase them so they keep an eye on him, but he's so ADD that he gets distracted by other things and they seem to know that. LOL.

Raining here today. I guess Sebastian isn't ok with the rain today because he refused to go out to pee even when I put him in areas where he was covered from actively getting wet (like under the patio cover). He ran into the middle room through the doggie door and curled up in the bed in there like "no, you can't make me". He did pee at 5AM before it really started pouring so hopefully he can hold it and won't go inside.

9 minutes ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

"no, you can't make me".

LOL, just like Marshall. Silly boys!

You can't say "squirrel" in our house if Bob is around because she goes nuts just from the word. So, if she's within hearing distance, it's a "tree rat".........

:D

It's 68F currently, and it feels SO COLD after a couple of days of warm weather. And, it's windy, so -- I'm NOT going out there today if I can help it. I don't like being cold...... :P

On 3/27/2020 at 5:53 PM, Rudy Umans said:

Does anybody know if Geese and (Muscovy) ducks mix? We have a semi wild Grey Goose in our backyard and she has been sitting on eggs. Her name is Bertha. (First it was Bernie, but then we found out it was a girl lol) We also have several ducks that are about her size, but no other Grey Goose.

We also have a pair of Egyptian Geese - we call them "The Black Eye Geese" . They are sitting on eggs too, but I think they are legit....

Sorry if this has already been answered Rudy, but my guess is if she hasn't mated with another goose, she is probably sitting on infertile eggs. They don't need to breed to lay eggs.
It's unlikely she's sitting on eggs fertilised by the Muscovy's, but that's not to say impossible, some species of geese have managed to to produce hybrids with Muscovy's, they are sterile though. 
If you want to look into it further search for 'Gray 1958 hybrid' and you should start pulling info that may lead you to a better answer :) 
If anything hatches let us know! :D 

21 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

You can't say "squirrel" in our house if Bob is around because she goes nuts just from the word. So, if she's within hearing distance, it's a "tree rat".........

Sounds like our previous dog Holly. If you said the word "possum", she would become alert and super excited and know exactly what you were talking about. Same if you said: "Puddy cat."

By the way, we received some chickens today. They're very quiet and just hang around one little area in the backyard by some bushes. Very young at about three months old. Hopefully, they become more adventurous. 

I can't seem to upload any content today. The photo files won't complete and it gives me an upload error reading. Not sure if it's my internet connection or if the site is having issues, but either way, it's a bit frustrating. Tending towards the site having issues since I seem to be able to upload to other sites just fine.

For anyone struggling with chinups, this seems like a really good exercise program.

Years ago, I had no trouble at all doing chinups. And when I was going to a gym on a regular basis during the 90s, I could do three wide grip pull ups. These days, however, I really struggle with chinups. I'm a lot heavier now compared to then so there's that factor. Though even getting back into weight training didn't seem to help much with getting my chinups back. This program though might do the trick. 

Did you get your photos uploaded eventually Sheila? I'll be uploading some soon so if I have any issues too I'll let you know.

Talking about exercise, Joe Wicks is doing a live HIIT session every week day morning 9am UK time on YouTube. It's mainly for the kids now the schools are closed, but it's good for anyone. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone's in lockdown and wants to join in :)
This was today's session :)

Update

So "our" Grey goose I was posting about a few days ago was apparently sitting on unfertilized eggs for 30 days!!. Her eggs got destroyed somehow and now the poor thing walks around all confused.

The Egyptian Geese however made us the proud grandparents of 3 cute little babies, but only to disappear. All I got was a glimpse. The new family went swimming down the canal and we haven't seen them in 2 days.  We fed them, we protected them, kept them safe, and calmed them down when they were upset about something. We were good grandparents to be and now this. (had my camera ready and everything)

Our backyard is rather empty right now, with the exception of Bernie, the grey goose, and a rather pushy Muscovy male duck. We also have a mockingbird in a tree in the backyard, but that one only shows up at night  to imitate the sound of a Blue Jay all night long. It keeps other people in my household awake, but I kindda like it.  lol.

Rudy, egyptian geese are kind of pretty as geese go. They are kind of flighty but I'd think they'd come back at least at night. They have a mating pair in Orange County in So Cal where I used to live and got some with their broods a few years in a row. These ones are a bit older.

one-adult-egyptian-goose-baby-600w-11164

Linda, yeah. I uploaded a few hours later and they went through. Not sure what the issue was.

Just had another image reach the 100 dl milestone. I hadn't been paying attention so I didn't even realize it was that close. Hit the 30,000 total downloads milestone too yesterday. Here's hoping for more significant milestones soon. this past month wasn't terrible, but it sure wasn't as good as January. 

5 hours ago, Rudy Umans said:

We also have a mockingbird in a tree in the backyard, but that one only shows up at night  to imitate the sound of a Blue Jay all night long

I love Mockingbirds, they're awesome! :)

Yesterday I was trying to get video of one singing on the treetop, but before I got my camera ready another Mockingbird came flying, and started to chase the first one. The flew around for maybe 5 minutes, to the pasture, way out, then back to the back yard, and every time they flew RIGHT by me, it was hilarious. I was laughing out loud all by myself watching them. Finally one of them gave up, and the other went to see a third Mockingbird (probably a GIRL) that was sitting in another tree.

Ours mimic Scissortails, and every time they fool me, and I start looking around for one. Then the Mockingbird switches to a different song and I just cuss at it - "don't fool me like that!" It's probably another week or two before the Scissortails come back from their wintering grounds.

Congrats on the mile stones, Sheila! :)

I've got some 60ish pics that are past 100 DLs, and probably quite a few right at it; too many pages to click through to keep up with those. My best video has been sitting at 99 DLs for what seems like forever. One more, PLEASE and thank you! :P

LOL Sari. The only nature I have to photograph are the squirrels and a few basic birds. I did some video while trimming the neighbors trees that are growing over into our yard and they accepted those over at adobe, but here, everything is getting rejected for noise. I think some reviewer(s) need new monitors cause I don't see it and if there was noise, I'm betting Adobe wouldn't have accepted them either. Waste of time and bandwidth having to keep uploading stuff. I gave up on a few clips and they'll just be on Adobe and Pond5 because I'm just not willing to work that hard to keep uploading. Especially the 4K clips.

Getting ready to try and take the puppy to the park for some running around time. We actually have a decent sized park about 4 blocks from us and I got one of those extendable retractable leashes so he has 25 feet of leeway to run around and he has a blast with that. LOVEs running in the grass and biting it. A little to ADD to play with his ball consisently as many people are taking their dogs and kids there so he wants to socialize with everyone and doesn't understand what the issue is. Fortunately, the social distancing is more than adequate as there's rarely more than 1 dog on any given area of grass (the grassy areas are separated by walking paths).