• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

Oh, I absolutely believe you. I bawled like a baby when I was medicating the other ginger boy, I felt totally rotten at first for making him so miserable. Luckily we both adjusted, I got better techni

Posted Images

A very good day of sales at the cruise ship market yesterday. Though not as good at the previous one. Once again, I sold most of my cards (featuring my photographs) as well as four DVDs I made.

Though there was one unbelievable moment. A woman was going to buy one of my kangaroo artwork t-shirts. Though she wanted to use some kind of electronic card payment but I don't have any means of processing that. Presently, I only accept cash but she didn't have any. So that resulted in no sale of the t-shirt. A real kick in the guts. If the t-shirt was purchased, it would have been the highest priced item out of all the goods that were sold. Though I guess another way of looking at the situation is that same t-shirt may be bought by another person at another market later down the track. So that loss of $30 is probably only temporary.

I'm now considering getting one of those Square card readers which works in conjunction with a phone. Customers can swipe their cards through the reader or hold it close by to make a purchase. Apparently, there's a small fee involved which is a little over 2%. Though I'm not 100% sure if my phone is compatible with the reader. 

11 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

A very good day of sales at the cruise ship market yesterday. Though not as good at the previous one. Once again, I sold most of my cards (featuring my photographs) as well as four DVDs I made.

Though there was one unbelievable moment. A woman was going to buy one of my kangaroo artwork t-shirts. Though she wanted to use some kind of electronic card payment but I don't have any means of processing that. Presently, I only accept cash but she didn't have any. So that resulted in no sale of the t-shirt. A real kick in the guts. If the t-shirt was purchased, it would have been the highest priced item out of all the goods that were sold. Though I guess another way of looking at the situation is that I guess that same t-shirt may be bought by another person at another market later down the track. So that loss of $30 is probably only temporary.

I'm now considering getting one of those Square card readers which works in conjunction with a phone. Customers can swipe their cards through the reader or hold it close by to make a purchase. Apparently, there's a small fee involved which is a little over 2%. Though I'm not 100% sure if my phone is compatible with the reader. 

Unfortunately, plastic is becoming the way of the world.

As someone who enjoys cruises, I don't want to carry a bunch of local currency. I change as little into Aussie Dollars (for example) as possible and rely on plastic for the rest. 

So, yes, do get one of those readers.

Incidentally, I love taking photos of markets and they do tend to sell fairly well.

Yes very good points. That experience yesterday with the lady wanting to buy the t-shirt left a sour taste in my mouth. Actually, a common question I'm asked by passengers at these markets is: "Where can I take cash out here?" So many of them are looking for an ATM. And other stall holders are saying that they have had buyers who only have cards for payment (no cash.) I haven't experienced much of that myself until now.

Actually, I did have an odd experience at one of the markets not too long ago. I had my head down temporarily (probably writing down sales data.) I looked up and saw a woman taking a photograph of one of my kangaroo artwork t-shirts that I had for sale. And with absolutely no communication with me (did not ask me if it was okay to do so.) She had her camera positioned really close to the shirt (likely getting a closeup of the artwork.) And a guy was with her - assisting her with her 'photo shoot.' Then they walked off without saying a word. My gosh, some people have a lot of nerve. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Actually, I did have an odd experience at one of the markets not too long ago. I had my head down temporarily (probably writing down sales data.) I looked up and saw a woman taking a photograph of one of my kangaroo artwork t-shirts that I had for sale. And with absolutely no communication with me (did not ask me if it was okay to do so.) She had her camera positioned really close to the shirt (likely getting a closeup of the artwork.) And a guy was with her - assisting her with her 'photo shoot.' Then they walked off without saying a word. My gosh, some people have a lot of nerve. 

Although I love taking photos of markets, I would never take close-up shots of individual products (check my port!). For me, it is all about the atmosphere of markets.

4 hours ago, Charles Lewis said:

Although I love taking photos of markets, I would never take close-up shots of individual products (check my port!). For me, it is all about the atmosphere of markets.

Crooks don't care about atmosphere, unless the walls are plastered with dollar bills. Then they go "Hey Nice atmosphere"!

I took this photo of a wolf spider floating on the surface of water last night. It's a bowl of water in my backyard and Ive had other wolf spiders in there before. They come for a drink, then lose their grip and fall in. Though interestingly, I got to see this one swim. It's the first time that Ive seen a spider swim. And I must say it was a good swimmer. Most of the time, it would simply drift along the surface and then on occasions, it would start swimming for a bit, pulling it's middle legs back and propelling itself forward.

Taking this photograph was really challenging. It was night and I had to use a torch / flashlight to shine on the spider for focusing and composing. I had the camera mounted on a small table top tripod and in my right hand, I had a flash with a home-made diffuser. I was using an old manual 1970s macro lens and had to manually focus wide open while the spider was drifting along and then quickly close down the aperture to f11 and take the photo before the spider moved out of the frame or changed direction. And if it started swimming, it moved out of the frame super quickly and I had to readjust the tripod and start tracking it again. Then had to open up the aperture wide open yet again and repeat the whole process.

My flash is also completely manual so I had to guess which power settings to use. I bracketed those power settings a fair bit. Sometimes, there wasn't even enough time to preview the shots to check the exposures as the spider was constantly on the move on the water. Just had to bracket wildly and hope for the best. A number of shots turned out overexposed and underexposed and some were out of focus. This image here turned out the best but unfortunately was underexposed. I managed to brighten it up in Lightroom and Photoshop. I also rescued the spider from the water at the end of the photo session.

Thinking back, it also would have been great to get video footage of the spider swimming. That was certainly a sight to see. Though unfortunately, I don't have a lighting setup for video currently. 

Wolf spider floats on the surface of water in a large plastic bowl 

Sheila yea like I mentioned near the end of my post, I rescued the spider from the water. It was certainly a difficult and challenging photo session. Oh and I don't mind spiders inside or outside. Actually, there's a huntsman that's currently living in my bedroom - I come across it once in a while in random places. It was clinging to a water bottle the last time I saw it.

Interestingly, there are some species of spiders that trap air on the hairs of their bodies and that allows them to breath underwater below the surface. I was actually wondering if this wolf spider was doing that though I'm not sure if that's completely necessary as it was on the surface. Then again, the book lungs are located below the spider so perhaps it is necessary to have that air supply.

Patrick you can even get a card reader that will do paypal these days. They are probably a good investment as many people no longer carry cash when they travel. As for ATMs our one and only bank left the village last year and took their ATM with them, now there is only one with limited availability and more fees attached outside the grocery store. Bendigo Bank (the one that says it is a "community" bank) is no longer well thought of here.
Do you have a sign saying no photography and all work is copyrighted? I was once abused for taking a photo of a stall even though nothing was the main focus. I am guessing the woman had been burned by stolen artwork before.

Charles like you it is about context not close-ups.

Patrick on spiders swimming, I have rocks in the bowls so that small critters can climb out.

Wendy, that must make life really tough in your town with the bank pulling out and taking their ATM with them. I'm so used to dealing with cash myself. I sometimes forget that some people rely more on plastic than paper money these days.

That must not have been good getting abused at a market for taking photos. Yea I'm sure that you would have been taking wide shots. I do the same thing sometimes. 

With regards to people taking closeup photos of my t-shirts at my stall, I guess one thing in my favour is that my shirts often have folds in the material when they're hanging from the coat hangers which makes the artwork look wavy. They rarely look completely flat when they're simply hanging. Though I can't recall what that guy was doing when he was assisting that woman with her 'photo shoot' of my t-shirt.They were working together. I remember him being close by and crouching. I hope he wasn't holding the shirt out flat for her. I only discovered that scene when I lifted my head up after my attention was diverted elsewhere. I didn't know if the photo had already been taken or not at that moment. 

Wendy, good idea on rocks and such in the water so critters can climb out. Bummer on the bank pulling out. The most rural area I’ve ever lived in was a suburb so even then, shops etc were only a few miles away. I know you like your seclusion but I’d go nuts being that far away from everything. 

Having a a really good month to start out the new year. Might even end up being a BME in terms of downloads and  earnings. Hopefully it’s an indication of the trend for the entire year. Not holding my breath though as things tend to change quickly when they adjust the algorithms. But I remain hopeful :)