The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Thanks Patrick, there are way more than 5 that is for sure and yes the tree kangaroo would have blown her mind for sure.

There are 4 species of kangaroo - wallabies, tree-kangaroos, wallaroos and  kangaroos. Depending what site you look at the number of species is either 45, 60 or 71 species of kangaroo/wallabies.

This is a great page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macropodidae

• Replies 45.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

Oh, I absolutely believe you. I bawled like a baby when I was medicating the other ginger boy, I felt totally rotten at first for making him so miserable. Luckily we both adjusted, I got better techni

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

How lovely @Wendy Townrow. I am sure you are helping them to survive. Even without extreme weather events life is often about day to day survival for the world's wild animals. We have a chap in the UK Chris Packham who is a great advocate for them. I went to a talk by him a while back. He is very passionate about all the vulnerable creatures that are so threatened in the world today. 

Deb, though we feed them occasionally we do not feed them too often as it is not good for them to become dependent. We do not have fences so they can roam freely, they do take advantage of any food (vegetable) scraps that we throw out. We also have several water bowls that they can access. I dont have a great garden as they will eat any new shoots lol. But I enjoy seeing the wild animals around so we suffer :) The animals need as much help as we can give them because too many of them are being lost and that is not good for the world or the ecology!

Deb that is a well written story, the thing that concerns me with all the coverage is that it makes it seem as though the whole of Australia is on fire. People have been cancelling trips because of the fear of fire. The reality is that a lot of Australia is not affected.  A woman on social media was attacked because she was showing selfies in beautiful locations in Australia, she was told she lacked empathy and was selfish. The reality is she was being pro-active, Australia needs tourism. There are lots of pl;aces that have not been touched by the fire disaster, for example The Great Barrier Reef is not likely to catch fire but visitors are not coming because of travel advisories that do not take into account where people are going. Kangaroo Island may be hard hit and so are other places, but in a few months after rain most visitors will not be able to tell. Yes the animals have suffered and some may not bounce back. With care a lot of the others will. Farmers will take longer to recover as animal stock and plantations take time to build up.

The biodiverity may be changed, but nature has a way of adapting to new conditions. It is humans that cannot or will not adapt. We are forever trying to bend nature to fit our own version of reality and it does not work.

The Sun Princess cruise ship arrived today in Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island. The weather forecast was unfavourable but apparently, the captain was determined to get the passengers on land. And the passengers were extremely generous at the market. It sounded like all the stall holders did really well in terms of sales. I made the most amount of sales that I have ever made. I sold just about all of my greeting cards (featuring my photographs) except for one. Yep, one card left. And sold two large prints and two DVDs. Though despite that, I sold no t-shirts surprisingly. There was a woman who was interested in my shirts and she asked me if I had a small size. Regretfully, I didn't. Originally, I was considering ordering a womens small size t-shirt with the first batch but decided against it in favour of larger sizes. I should have ordered the small. Overall though, it was an amazing day in terms of sales. 

Congrats Patrick! Good to hear some good news for a change.

Busy weekend here with back/back editorial events. Still sorting images from today. Finished yesterdays event pretty quickly as it wasn't huge so that was good. But the women's march today I ended up with hundreds of images to sort through. Our Leutenant Governor was one of the speakers at the rally (haven't met her before but I voted for her so it was cool to see her speaking). Anyway, hope everyone is having a decent weekend.

Great news Patrick, good to hear the tourists are still coming and supporting you all.

Sheila, I don't know how you find time to sleep LOL! I'm having fitted cupboards and shelves put in on Tuesday so the next couple of days are going to be filled with me humping furniture about and filling boxes to get everything out of the carpenters way. I'm not in the mood for it, but needs must, so I will have to get a wiggle on soon.

1 hour ago, Studio 2 said:

It may be. I live a cloistered life. There are of course words and sayings peculiar to areas. In Portsmouth the words 'dinny' and 'dinlo' are used for someone a bit slow mentally. The urban dictionary says they are Romany in origin.

Growing up in Glasgow, I might have said that "i will have to get a bend on". 

Patrick I think people are doing what they can to help :)

2 hours ago, Charles Lewis said:

Growing up in Glasgow, I might have said that "i will have to get a bend on". 

I say the same as Linda sometimes but I am more likely to say "I need to get my butt in gear"

It is interesting to see that Australia does have variations in language and accents that most people do not notice. Here a lot of the indigenous words and sayings end up in general language.

One of the funniest is "Deadly" .. it means that something is awesome. I shook my head at an advertisement that was supposed to be aimed at the indigenous young, trying to get them to not smoke, the message said it was "deadly" ... meaning it would kill them ... someone had not done their research ... the ad really missed the mark in this example.

After all this time they are finally realising that for a lot of the indigenous populaton, English is their second language not the way they speak at home.

15 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Congrats Patrick! Good to hear some good news for a change.

Busy weekend here with back/back editorial events. Still sorting images from today. Finished yesterdays event pretty quickly as it wasn't huge so that was good. But the women's march today I ended up with hundreds of images to sort through. Our Leutenant Governor was one of the speakers at the rally (haven't met her before but I voted for her so it was cool to see her speaking). Anyway, hope everyone is having a decent weekend.

Ok what exactly is a "Leutenant Governor", it is not a position we have here

5 minutes ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Ok what exactly is a "Leutenant Governor", it is not a position we have here

Lieutenant Governor is about the same as an assistant governor, or like the vice president is the second in command to the president. She's the second in command for california and assists the governor.

Ah ok so the Governor is the head of the State and Lieutenant is the second in command? Here the are called the Premier and Vice Premier.  If it is the local areas ... ours are called Shires, the elected representatives are the Council, the head is called a Mayor and the second in command is the Vice Mayor.

2 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Lieutenant Governor is about the same as an assistant governor, or like the vice president is the second in command to the president. She's the second in command for california and assists the governor.

I remember when Arnold Schwarzenegger  was the Governator.....or should I say Governor of California.

And who could forget his strong Austrian accent: "I'll be back."

Wendy, we have the mayor, then under that person is the board of supervisors, which is a dozen people for San Francisco. But the state is run a bit differently, since it's bigger. And our state is one of the biggest and has the tax income of some countries due to the high population.

I may as well reveal what I made at that cruise ship market here on Kangaroo Island. The amount was $230. I'm sure that other market stall owners made record earnings as well. There's also a chance that some of those stall holders may have been directly affected directly by the fires. May have even had farms / properties damaged by the fires. If that is the case, then I'm extra happy that sales were flowing so well yesterday.

Sheila our tax is Federally based with funds trickling down to the States. (at least I think that is the way it works). When you think about it, Australia is close to the area of mainland USA but the population is a fraction  ,, about 25.5 million people ... the cut of funds is spread pretty thin!

Well done Patrick, that was a very nice sum to come home with!

Wendy, I really don't understand how all the tax things work. Just that we seem to pay a lot of taxes. Both state and federal. But part of the state taxes are also (apparently) paid to the federal government. California has the highest tax rates in the U.S. from what I understand. I'm ready to move somewhere else but my husband likes it here so we'll see what happens once the younger two are on their own. So weird that the first two couldn't wait to get their drivers licenses and become independent. The younger two don't seem to even want to learn to drive. We are pushing the concept now. The older two started at 15 and a half (which is the minimum age). Youngest is now 17. My husband does the behind the wheel stuff with them because I can't handle the stress even when he's driving most of the time. I like to be in control of the vehicle.

Anyway, more rain coming in tomorrow. We need it, but I wish it would space out a bit more in smaller longer bouts. Hard and fast is bad for the environment. Lots of flooding that way.

tomorrow morning it will be in the 40ties and with the wind chill 30 something.. I had to put all our orchids (10 or so, incl. one that is almost 5 feet) in the garage. Don't want them to die.

The good news is, it is only supposed to last a day. So I guess, our winter for this year will be on a Wednesday ......

The rains here held off til late and have just been scattered. Cold but no freezing temps. I feel for your horses Sari. Being confined is definitely not fun for them.

I'm surprised you're getting temps that low in Florida Rudy. We've had some colder than normal temps here too. My hydrangeas have all died as a result. Can't put them in the garage as they were in the ground plants. I'll have to figure out what to replace them with that are more hearty since it's likely we are going to continue to get these extremes in temps.