• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I've definitely been floored by the whole thing. Trying to keep up with reading the thread about it, but gave up around page 72. I agree that if we have to start at the bottom every January, they shou

Posted Images

Looks like Australia is having as bad a season as we are. We are "hopefully" at the tail end of ours, where as they are just starting into theirs. Although last year we had some huge fires well into November, then the rains in December caused huge mud slides. Hoping not to have a repeat of that scenario

My obligatory yard work time is put in for the weekend. Tied up the raspberries, trimmed the peach tree so it's not sending it's new growth into the power lines (which are unreasonably low IMO, but I'm not in charge of the power lines), and cleared the leaves from the back and side yards. Extra bins holding the excess as the green waste is already quite full. We are getting a warming trend so my tomatoes are quite confused. I was going to dig them up, but they're flowering again and have quite a few new fruit on them ready to ripen, so I guess I'll let them be for now until they actually look pathetic. We might get tomatoes for the rest of the month at this rate. Thinking a green house would be a good idea when we get ready to move next time. Although my husband really likes the bay area, I can't see us staying here forever with the cost of housing.

I went to the announcements to see what they added and found that. Not sure how I ended up with so many but ok. I’ll wait and see how this plays out. If I remember correctly, the like and dislike buttons got abused when those were added. Mostly the dislike button. I kind of like the fact that they added emojis as an option this time around. I’ll stock up on popcorn? 😸

on a separate non forum chit chat topic, took Nemo for his follow up labs today. I knew he had another drop in weight but didn’t realize how much. He used to weigh over 12 lbs. now he’s barely 7 lbs. Ariel weighs a pound more than he does. He’s not lethargic like he was before though. So I’m adding two more meals into his routine and feeding him 4x/day rather than twice/day. He’s been complaining all day he’s starving. I guess maybe he is if he’s still losing weight due to the hyperactive metabolism 

Sheila - dang! Cocoa probably weighs about 12 lbs, but he's a BIG boy, and not fat at all. He's just long and tall, by far the biggest cat I've ever had. I think Oscar and Otto used to be around 10 lbs in their heavier days; and when Oscar went to the vet last time he was 8lbs or so. So yeah, poor Nemo is not having a good time.

Oscar's balance has become much better than it was after his tumor removal, but he still falls over if he shakes his head, and and he's overall not very sure footed. His appetite is great, but he seems to get tired really quick. I had to make an opening to his confined space, because he was trying to climb out of there, and with his bad balance that was a bad idea. So now he has "steps" he can step down on safely if he wants, and he can get back up there when he wants.

All that said, I think he has another tumor coming into the lower eye lid of his non-operated eye :(:(:(

The other eye is still closed due to all the discharge from the operated areas, so he can't see anything out of it.

Not good at all. It breaks my heart because he's such a sweet baby, not a mean bone in him.

Nemo is a sweet heart too. He's the nicest to Ariel. Mostly just ignores her, but since he's been sequestered for going on two months now, he sniffs her face and says hello from time to time, which makes her nervous. LOL. He's started sleeping on the pillow above my head early in the morning. Yesterday he sat on me while I was laying on my side, and I barely felt him. If Ariel sits on my that way, I definitely feel it. I think not so much because of the extra pound, but because she has smaller paws too so her weight is more noticable. Where as his paws are just bigger. He was always a big cat (and he was kind of on the fat side, but not obese). Seeing him with his sides all concave around the ribs is definitely not a healthy look. He's happy and active though. Well, as happy as an inside/outside cat can be when they aren't allowed outside anymore.

I hope Oscar doesn't have to have another surgery, especially if it means he might lose his vision in that eye too. 

On 11/3/2019 at 1:26 PM, Patrick Cooper said:

Out of curiosity, which source is claiming that the necrosis theory is valid?

One of the experts who conducted the study involving over 100 bite victims is convinced that white tail spider bites don't cause necrosis.

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2003/179/4/white-tail-spider-bite-prospective-study-130-definite-bites-lampona-species

I was thinking more along the lines of people who have an abnormal response. We also have a flesh eating bug up here that was wrongly attributed to the spider for quite some time.
https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/white-tailed-spider

"ulceration of the bite (in some cases)

nausea and vomiting (in some cases)."

I think people have been misnaming the ulceration as necrotising.

On 11/3/2019 at 7:07 PM, D O-P Photography said:

One of the lucky ones. There was story that said that many of the koalas who get injured wont make it.

On 11/4/2019 at 5:05 AM, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Looks like Australia is having as bad a season as we are. We are "hopefully" at the tail end of ours, where as they are just starting into theirs. Although last year we had some huge fires well into November, then the rains in December caused huge mud slides. Hoping not to have a repeat of that scenario

It started early and ferociously  ....

4 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

I went to the announcements to see what they added and found that. Not sure how I ended up with so many but ok. I’ll wait and see how this plays out. If I remember correctly, the like and dislike buttons got abused when those were added. Mostly the dislike button. I kind of like the fact that they added emojis as an option this time around. I’ll stock up on popcorn? 😸

on a separate non forum chit chat topic, took Nemo for his follow up labs today. I knew he had another drop in weight but didn’t realize how much. He used to weigh over 12 lbs. now he’s barely 7 lbs. Ariel weighs a pound more than he does. He’s not lethargic like he was before though. So I’m adding two more meals into his routine and feeding him 4x/day rather than twice/day. He’s been complaining all day he’s starving. I guess maybe he is if he’s still losing weight due to the hyperactive metabolism 

lol we will need a big bucket of popcorn that is for sure! I sure hope Nemo comes good.

Sari I am sorry Oscar is having such a hard time at the moment :( hugs to you!

8 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

I'm considering getting a new pet though I have to decide on which one. It's a toss up between a tarantula or two rats. Decisions, decisions....

Saw an Australian tarantula the other day at the Aquarium. Never seen one in the wild, they are pretty cool. The problem with rats is they dont live for very long :(

50 minutes ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Saw an Australian tarantula the other day at the Aquarium. Never seen one in the wild, they are pretty cool. The problem with rats is they dont live for very long :(

Yes that is definitely a downside to rats. It doesn't seem fair that something so intelligent has such a short life span. 

It would really be awesome to see an Aussie tarantula in the wild but I know the chances are slim. There would have to be a lot of luck involved, even if someone was searching in the right type of habitat. And probably even harder to find these days since so many are taken from the wild and sold to pet shops. 

There are people who breed Aussie tarantulas for the pet trade. I am hoping that one day, some of the bred ones can be returned to the wild. It's the least they can do. There are some local tarantula populations that have been wiped out by poachers who are eager for a quick buck from a pet shop. According to reports, some of these sites in the wild now look like the surface of the moon with so many craters - evidence that the burrows were dug up to get to the tarantulas.

7 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Someone already went through 3 of my posts in a different thread and down vote all 3 posts. 🙄

1 hour ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Yes that is definitely a downside to rats. It doesn't seem fair that something so intelligent has such a short life span. 

It would really be awesome to see an Aussie tarantula in the wild but I know the chances are slim. There would have to be a lot of luck involved, even if someone was searching in the right type of habitat. And probably even harder to find these days since so many are taken from the wild and sold to pet shops. 

There are people who breed Aussie tarantulas for the pet trade. I am hoping that one day, some of the bred ones can be returned to the wild. It's the least they can do. There are some local tarantula populations that have been wiped out by poachers who are eager for a quick buck from a pet shop. According to reports, some of these sites in the wild now look like the surface of the moon with so many craters - evidence that the burrows were dug up to get to the tarantulas.

That is not good at all Patrick :(

5 minutes ago, Breanna Sullivan said:

Someone already went through 3 of my posts in a different thread and down vote all 3 posts. 🙄

Not good and not really necessary :(

3 minutes ago, D O-P Photography said:

Try to ignore it B and not take it personally. I don't think it's a good idea and it's already led to a new forum member saying she might leave 🙁 ..

and can you blame them ...??? and I agree with you Debbie, Breanna, just put your head down and work and ignore the naysayers!

Patrick - get the Tarantula!

We have native Tarantulas here ( Aphonopelma hentzi, or Oklahoma / Texas / Missouri Brown Tarantula) , and supposedly they move in masses in spring, but I've only seen one three times in 14 years. Two running across the road, so it was barely a glimpse, and the beauty that was under a wood pile in the yard. She (?) had a safe place there, but we moved the pile so after getting some pics I moved her to a safer spot. I hope she found a good new home :) The females can live up to something like 40 years!!! 😮 

Breanna, I'll just go and put you back in green :D

So, I have some video files that have already been reviewed, but are still showing up in my queue for review, but with empty thumbnails (blank box without an image). Now, I just uploaded two images and the thumbnails are empty. I'm presuming i'm going to get a file transfer error rejection on these two. I've never had them upload blank though. Is it just me? Or is anyone else seeing this too :( 

14 hours ago, D O-P Photography said:

Try to ignore it B and not take it personally. I don't think it's a good idea and it's already led to a new forum member saying she might leave 🙁 ..

I just don't understand why any of the forum Admins thought it was a good idea.

It's so off putting. I'm not surprised it's already driving away newbies.

Sheila - I'm not seeing anything strange, probably because I haven't submitted anything for so long I have no pics in my "recently reviewed" section...LOL

I guess SS has an automated reminder so that when that number goes to zero, you get an email notification: "Let's see what you're working on. It's been a while since you submitted any projects... yadda yadda..."

Sorry SS, but my plate is more than full of real life right now. Not enough hours in a day to have time to edit and submit!

I admit, I have not received any of those reminders. LOL. I tend to upload something practically daily. When i'm off on a longer adventure (like our trip to New Jersey and New York) then I don't upload anything til I get back. It's just too much work to pack a computer in addition to all the gear. I won't take a computer with me for Thanksgiving at my daughter's either. Only a few of us are going to that though since my son doesn't get the whole week off school now that he's in college, so at least I don't have to find someone to take care of the animals. I don't know nearly as many people up here as we did in So Cal so it's harder to find someone I trust. Although usually, in So Cal, it was a high school student friend of one of my kids and I'd pay them to come in and feed cats and socialize with them when ever we were gone.

Did my day at the shelter today and thought it was going to be a quick day. Then discovered they had 12 more kittens in the kitchen. Ooops. A lot of portable kennels set up in there. Still sorting through all those images. I think 'm about half done now processing and resizing them the way they need for their website. Thinking I may binge on some TV to relax tonight. Bought the one and only season of this show called New Amsterdam. So far, it's not too bad. Except for the piss poor representation of a nurse doing CPR in the ER. Yeah, those things really bug me when they get it that wrong. The person would never have passed a CPR class.

13 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Patrick - get the Tarantula!

We have native Tarantulas here ( Aphonopelma hentzi, or Oklahoma / Texas / Missouri Brown Tarantula) , and supposedly they move in masses in spring, but I've only seen one three times in 14 years. Two running across the road, so it was barely a glimpse, and the beauty that was under a wood pile in the yard. She (?) had a safe place there, but we moved the pile so after getting some pics I moved her to a safer spot. I hope she found a good new home :) The females can live up to something like 40 years!!! 😮 

Certainly tempting! Ive just looked up Aphonopelma hentzi - very attractive looking species. You are so lucky that you found one right in your home. I'm pretty sure there are no tarantulas that are native to Kangaroo Island where I'm living. Though apparently, there are one or two species that do live in the same state (South Australia) on the mainland. Though they would be challenging to find as they would be far away from human civilisation in some pretty remote areas. Most of Australia's tarantulas can be found in Queensland (mainly Central Queensland and Far North Queensland.)

There are also some interesting differences between American tarantulas and Australian tarantulas. American tarantulas have urticating hairs / the ability to kick hairs whereas Aussie tarantulas lack that capability. On the other hand, Australian tarantulas have stronger venom. If a person is bitten by an Australian tarantula, they will usually feel very sick for about 8 hours or so with the chance of vomiting or headaches. Also, many species of American tarantulas appear to be quite docile whereas Australian tarantulas generally tend to be more grumpy and defensive. Actually, those characteristics - stronger venom and their grumpy / defensive nature - are also shared by Asian and African tarantulas. 

Females with a 40 year life span? That sounds pretty impressive. I know that 20 years is usually the norm for females. And I have heard that the slower growing species can live longer. Apparently, there's a doctor in the US who has a 30 year old Brachypelma smithi (Mexican Red Knee tarantula.)

If I'm not mistaken, the Oklahoma Brown is a species people often have as a pet because it won't hurt you and it's so docile. It's not very pretty, though, just a brown with some beige.

This is how big she was --

tarantellaS.jpg

tarantulacats.jpg

That's my son's hand in the pic, BTW, much bigger than mine!

I guess the downside of a pet spider is that they are not really as cuddly as a mammal lol!

I agree Breanna, I dont think reputation points are a great idea  .... it is just playing one person off against the other. More suitable for a Social Media site than a professional forum.

That is a big spider Sari!

Sheila that does sound like something has broken!

Patrick, you will have to keep us posted on what you decide!

Sari, just brown and beige? Ha! That's not too different to most Australian tarantulas. Our native Ts are various shades of brown with occasional grey ones or near black. Though I think they are attractive in their own way. There is a rare Australian species that is white though not many people have seen it. Yours is a very impressive size. What a great find. And those cats sure are interested in it. 

It seems that over here, most tarantulas from breeders are available for sale as little spiderlings. They're super cheap though I don't think I'd have the patience to wait for them to grow to a decent size as they are generally very slow growing. That could take over a year or more. And sometimes much longer than that. Though on the other hand, an adult would be pretty expensive. The tricky thing is finding one that is somewhere in between that age range and price range and also happens to be the species that you want.

Wendy, while not exactly cuddly, at least tarantulas are hairy!