Sari ONeal

The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

lol Sari, I guess the ports were going to show up eventually!

Wow Jeff that is a huge place ... it sounds like you and missus can wander around in there and never see each other lol!

Not sure how long our driveway is but we dont see neighbours either.

Sari I agree with you on the orchard.

A lot of the orchards out in Riverside county dried up and died because of the drought and nobody was watering them. Might have been what happened there. There are entire fields of dead trees along the 5fwy. More striking right now because of all the green from recent rains. To bad stopping on the fwy isn't a good idea to take photos. The contrast is pretty striking.

This house can be a bit of a bear for cleaning, but if the kids don't make a mess, clean up on a regular basis isn't to terribly bad. I make the kids clean up their bathroom and bedrooms and then my son has to clean the TV room (he's usually the one who drops chips and popcorn on the floor in there anyway) and my daughter sweeps the front room and dining room. It can get pretty dusty if you let it go a week or more though.

A house that big is something for someone in their 20's that has a lot of get up and go, I will stick with whole Lotta property and what I have which pales in comparison to that, 740 some foot long driveway here, back when I was 20 something there was a house in the Catskills in NY where I was living that sounded like Jeffs that was going for at the time $1200 a month with 6 bedrooms and an indoor swimming pool that I thought would have been nice back then but now no way those are the kinda places you hire people to take care of the place.

And yeah digging up all the apple trees? Not sure about that

Once you get a cat you will become a cat person and they make sure about that.

We have a lady come every other week to clean for 4 hours now, and I vacumn as often as necessary in between to pick up the dog hair. We will be doing the same in the future. Actually Susan has suggested we get a live-in couple who can do the cleaning, cooking and take care of the 11 acres, which might become 21 as they seem to want to sell us another 10 acres,.

I guess I could become a medical marajuina farmer LOL!

Sorry Barry, no way in hell I would ever have a cat, first of all I have had a couple close encounters with Cougar. Every persons house I have ever been in that has cats smell of cats, the people seem unable to smell it. I have seen the cats on the counters where food is (and everyone swears their cat does not do it, but when they are not in the room, the cat does, right after licking its own bottom.) Dogs stay on the ground and do not climb up on places that may contain food. Add on top of that as a very young child I was taken into a room that my Great Aunt who had a cat had just died in, and for 20 years after that the smell of death and cat were one and the same for me, cats made the skin on the back of my neck crawl. I grew out of that, and of course cats sense when you do not like them, and everyone's house I go to they want to climb up into my lap, rub against my leg. The other thing I don't like about cats is what they do that cats do to mark their territory, they piss on everything, climb on the furniture and shred it.

My cats DO walk on tables and counters and I don't ever say they don't.

They're not allowed on the table people are eating at, outside of that they're free to do what they want. I don't keep food on counters, unless it's fruit. If I'm going to cook I'm also going to clean up the counter where I'm going to use it. Before and after cooking. Not a big deal.

Also, male cats piss / mark their territory if they've not been fixed. Anyone with half an ounce of sense will fix all their cats, male or female.

Cats only shred shit if you don't provide them enough scratching posts / places they are allowed to scratch on. They need to do it.

I also don't buy fancy, expensive furniture that cats can't get on. They can sleep on my cheap ass furniture just as much as I can sit on it, or more if they want. It's their home, their world, and they're welcome to get comfortable in it.

Oh, I even bring in grass from outdoors for my cats to eat, so THEY CAN PUKE HAIRBALLS OUT, because it's necessary for their health.

If I ever had to live somewhere that I could only have one animal with me, it would absolutely be a cat, not a dog.

Jeff, your home looks beautiful. I'm sure you worked very hard to reach the level of success that affords you the ability to live in such a gorgeous place. If I were to live in such a place, I would absolutely have to have help just to maintain it. For many years, I daydreamed about being able to surround myself with half of that. But I have reached a point in my life where I can accept it is just not to be....and so retirement has also become a non-starter for me as well. (we lost everything when real estate went bust - $600K+ in property down to nothing....lost it all).

Cats? Well, I'm a recovering cat lady. Will never have them again for many of the reasons you say, but I do get the "ism" about them because I had it at one point. I recovered from cats when we built and furnished our first home. We had two during the process - one of which passed just a couple of weeks before we CO'd on the new house. The other survived only a couple of months after - I think he died of a broken heart having lost his best friend and then got uprooted from his home. Once he was gone, we said there was no way we'd have another animal...brand new house, brand new furniture...no way.

Then we adopted my uncles bird.....

Never say never!

I don't allow my cats to be on the counter, but they do jump up there. I have worked on getting them to sit on the bar stools next to the counters instead and 80% of the time, they'll jump right onto the bar stools instead of the counter or table. But when I'm preparing their food, yeah. They jump right up there cause they want it first (and I put them back down on the floor or push their bums onto one of the bar stools if it's closer). The upside of cats is they don't require the same amount of attention a dog really needs. A dog is more like another child where as a cat is just a visitor who sometimes wants your company but is just fine being by themselves for half the day if you're out working. I have multiple scratching posts upstairs and down and one on the back porch (that's the one Nemo likes the best). They don't scratch the furniture to often because most of it isn't padded. The only thing that I really don't like is peeing on the furniture and since we moved here and they can go in and out when ever they like, we have not had that issue with my male cat anymore (and he is "fixed" just has bowel issues and that's what the vet says is why he was peeing on the furniture instead of in the box). Now they just go outside unless it's pouring buckets.

Does anyone else get new people IM'ing them asking to for exact numbers on how much they make each month from stock? Isn't that, like, against ShutterStock policy or something? I am not even an experienced stock photographer and two people in the last few weeks very insistently wanted to know exactly how much I personally make from stock. I can't be the only person they're asking am I? and why? It's called penny stock for a reason. It's not a lot of money. But I find myself uncomfortable that people are asking me directly.....

No one asking here and besides I do not even post in the latest sold and such and besides that I do not discuss anything to do with what I make anywhere it is no ones business and yes it is against the SS TOS, it was a change in the TOS a while back and still yet quite a few still post screencaps and that can get you in deep do do!

Now someone over on the other ZOO posted their earnings or something and the thread was removed, deleted, trashed.

By who? I do not know.

Someone just wanting to know if it is worth copying what you do so they can gain by copying what you do if you tell them you are making money, best to just say nothing.

That is a big part of quite a few major issues around here on the forum with the port link that we should be allowed to opt out of.

Cats, no problem here, we are al allergic to them ...

Jeff I can only dream of having someone come in to clean. Having said that I had a lady on once when my Dad was sick and I was sick. If that was their version of cleaning I would rather do it myself!

Sheila if anyone asked me that, I would just tell them that it is none of their business, I only discuss finances with my accountant!

Wow Jeff that is a huge place ... it sounds like you and missus can wander around in there and never see each other lol!

Our current house that is on the market is 3668 Sq ft, I think we have always had large houses, and perhaps the reason we will be celebrating our 40th anniversary is because we can wander around big houses and not trip over each other LOL!

Barry, I thought I had seen somewhere that it was against policy to post direct numbers. I wasn't 100% sure though. There aren't any forum moderators anymore though so it's hard to know whom to ask how to respond. I did PM Anna (the only new forum moderator I've seen on the announcement page) and ask her what the deal was and what I should do in these situations. And put in that message that this was one of the reasons I did NOT want my port link under my avatar. Definitely should be an option to opt out. If people want to find my stuff, they can certainly Google me but no point having a button right there for people who have no interest in purchasing any of my work anyway. I'm not anticipating much if any response, but at least I've made my case. I'm definitely not making a living off what I make from stock photography.

Wendy, bummer on being allergic to cats. Good reason not to have any though. I used to have a crew come in and clean every other week when we lived in Irvine, but have not had that luxury here. Expenses here are much higher than it was there and it's just not in the budget. Trying to hold off of getting a "real" job for as long as I can (at least until after my daughter's wedding). Hoping I'll be able to hold out cause it'll be hard to get time off from a brand new job for that. We did decide it would be better for me to bake the. Parts of her cake here and pack them to assemble and decorate there. Baking at high elevations is different from sea level and I don't want to risk another cake disaster on an important date like that (had a real cake disaster on my youngest daughter's 5th birthday - entire cake split in half the morning of the party since I'd tried to do a topsy turvy cake). That was a nightmare and a half. Felt like I was on the food network challenge as I baked and re-created the entire cake in less than 6 hours (just not topsy turvy on the newer cake). Good thing we had scheduled an afternoon party and not first thing in the morning....

LOL Jeff. Larger houses definitely have their advantages. My husband has an entire room for all his books and computers. Theoretically they won't litter up the rest of the house (but that only works in theory since he's still go boxes stacked in the dining room still to be sorted too - but "his" space is very organized).

Does anyone else get new people IM'ing them asking to for exact numbers on how much they make each month from stock? Isn't that, like, against ShutterStock policy or something? I am not even an experienced stock photographer and two people in the last few weeks very insistently wanted to know exactly how much I personally make from stock. I can't be the only person they're asking am I? and why? It's called penny stock for a reason. It's not a lot of money. But I find myself uncomfortable that people are asking me directly.....

Nope, I don't think my port is convincingly big and fancy enough for anyone to want to inquire my info. I think people want to get confirmation that they could make money, but few do, and it takes knowledge, skill, and work none of which I have or do.

They wouldn't get anything out of me, anyway, none of their business.

Sari, my ports not much bigger than yours and not all that spectacular so that's why I don't understand why people seem to think I"m the one to ask. Especially since more "experienced" contributors have given negative feedback to me in the past. I believe the one phrase was something along the lines of "you're not going to get anywhere running in place" or something along those lines.... Anyway.. I totally agree with the it's none of their business. 

Nice day for Easter here. To bad my kids have outgrown the easter egg hunt and all those activities. I'm kind of missing all those kinds of activities....

Working on names for the kittens. Calling them baby  1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 is a bit old. Figured the two orange boys would be Liam and Seamus. Going with the Irish trend. Looking at Catarina for the tortie calico mix and deciding on either Fiona, Zaira  or Tullia for the gray/blue girls. It'll be easier to refer to them with real names. Should probably come up with one for the mom too. The people who adopt them can change their names so the names arent' that big a deal over all, but will definitely make it easier when working with them (especially since they'll be here for a few more weeks at the rate their gaining. They've all gained about 1/3 of a lb in the last week. Still under 1 lb each.

Barry I guess with thread removal we know that the moderators are still wandering the halls!

Jeff, wandering around a big house is one way of staying married, my parents just played in different areas of the house. Hubby and I just have different sleep cycles ... :)

Sheila the allergies can get a bit annoying at times. But it is one of those things that you cant change :( I dont blame you for not wanting a job till after the wedding. The wedding sounds like a big enough job anyway. The cake is way beyond my capabilities that is for sure. I had a giggle over the boxes of books and computer gear ... I decided I need a whole house to put hubby and his gear in :)

Naming the kitties makes it sound like you are making them more permanent. :D

Sari I never did an easter egg hunt with my kids ... but my nephew's wife did it for the kids this weekend ... I always worry about some kids having more than the others etc.

Wendy, pretty much all the foster's name their kittens. The people who actually adopt them usually change their names anyway. The people who named ours were obviously into Disney movies with Nemo and Jasmine. Not keeping any. They are adorable, but my cats just wouldn't be happy if it was a permanent thing. I get to take photos as they get bigger so that hopefully will be enough to get my kitten fix. Plus, I've gotten spoiled not having to clean a litter box in so long. I forgot just how disgusting that job can be. And I'll have to air out the upstairs bathroom pretty good after they go. It definitely has that musty cat smell in there. Unfortunate that we have to keep them in a confined space, but at least it's a big bathroom. About 8 feet by 10 feet (the size of most small bedrooms).

Sheila it is in the TOS SS came and stated it on the forum somewhere as well.

No discussing what you make, no screencaps of your earnings etc.

Wendy no threads removed here, it was removed at the ZOO MSG.

Sheila it is in the TOS SS came and stated it on the forum somewhere as well.

No discussing what you make, no screencaps of your earnings etc.

Wendy no threads removed here, it was removed at the ZOO MSG.

Ah ok ... I thought you meant here ...

sheesh this month has been slow :( the only upside is I have managed to get more stuff accepted this month than I have for ages!

Sheila - no, no Easter Bunny hiding eggs.

Instead, the Easter Rooster brings them, and they're somewhere close to their bed waiting when they wake up. Which typically means that'll be their breakfast...LOL

Every time I go to bathroom I check the litterboxes and clean them, so they never get too bad. The bathroom also has a window I can open for fresh air, if needed. When the weather is warm it stays open for most of the time, anyway.

Air temp got down to 26F last night. I wonder if it did my peaches in. The previous cold snap a few days earlier already killed my apricots.

Sari, the litter they gave me for them (the pine pellets) dissentegrate into fine dust so it's hard to remove the used litter. I much prefer a clumping litter so I can remove waste including urine, but the only thing I can remove from this litter is the solid waste. So it gets much more musty. Fortunately, it's only for a few weeks. And I"m getting some decent photos from it. Got a few more of the kittens sleeping accepted today. I'll try working with them more later. I have a long list of projects I really need to get done that I"m putting off plus my husband has jury duty this week. The machine told him no one needed this morning so call back at 11AM for possible 1PM show up time (which will be awkward because he went into work so he'll have to take BART back. Here for me to pick him up and then he has to go to Hayward for superior court if he has to show up). So I can't get involved in anything to complicated as I have to be able to leave at a moments notice.

Ah ok ... I thought you meant here ...

sheesh this month has been slow :( the only upside is I have managed to get more stuff accepted this month than I have for ages!

It's been a slow month over at FT for me as well. Fortunately I got a big batch of images accepted so that makes me happy.

My portfolio is still tiny though. 320 images with an acceptance rate of 48%. Yeesh, FT is the most picky micro stock I've ever used.