Sari ONeal

The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Paula - I'm not sure what to tell you, my barn cat rarely chases butterflies, and when he does I just try to distract him. For most part he's too lazy to chase anything, but sit in wait for mice / moles/ gophers.

Laurin - thank you! I'm sure people are keeping you busy!!

Alexander - don't cry! Your blue cat pics are just like the cat - beautiful! :)

My newer kitten chases bugs too. I'm concerned she's going to get stung because she goes after the bees, wasps and flies. Pretty much anything that moves. She has caught some mice (or at least I'm figuring it's her because the other two play with the mice and generally bring them inside til they die from the torture, but I've found decapitated heads in the yard sans bodies so I'm figuring that must be her. She likes hanging out there at night now because she knows that's when they come out. As long as they keep them out of the house, I don't mind. The butterflies don't really hang around our yard enough for those to be an issue. And she's back to laying under my desk when I'm working too (she's laying by my feet right now).

Please don't use punishment methods to train Paula, they create more problems that they solve.
There she is happily chasing butterflies, practising her hunting skills, enjoying herself and fulfilling all those natural fun instincts, then you arrive out of the blue and suddenly shock her with water. She isn't going to put the two things together, she'll have no idea that you wanted her to stop catching butterflies, because it can't happen at the exact right time, every time she does it. The only consistent thing that she will recognise is that every time she gets squirted, you are there. That's the association she will make and it will ruin your relationship. You are seeing this start to happen already.

I'm not sure what the answer is, or if there really is one, but whatever it is it will be based on positive reward. 
The first thing that comes to my mind would be can you separate her and the butterflies? That would be the easier answer if it's possible. After that you have to find a way of distracting her, and rewarding her for NOT catching butterflies. The reward needs to be something more interesting to her than the butterflies. That will be hard I suspect.

But this might help Paula. You could find a genuine behaviourist/trainer through the IAABC. You can search via cat consultants in your area. https://iaabc.org/consultants. Even if you don't want to pay for a consultant, you should find the site helpful, and it may lead you to the right sort of action/advice to take even if you're just looking online.

Good luck! :) 

Sheila, my ducks catch and eat wasps in mid-flight. Eek! LOL

Our aerial defence dog Bob catches flying things - she loves grasshoppers and leaps after them. We have plenty of wasps, and I try to keep her off of them.

As far as spraying cats with water - I wouldn't do it, either. My beloved MamaCat got sprayed by her previous owner back in the day - because the lady only gave her barn cats one pile of cat food, and expected them all eat together. Well, MamaCat wanted her own space to eat, and when she growled and hissed at the other cats (most of which were her grown kittens), the lady would spray her.

We were boarding horses at the place, and I started giving them each their own little pile, and the growling problem was gone. I also brought a special treat to MamaCat every day, and she adopted me in no time. She'd follow me everywhere. I didn't like calico cats (too much color!) back in the day, but she showed me the light - LOL! Then the lady moved and left the cats behind, and I ended up with them.

We got a little bit of rain yesterday morning, but today it seems to be skirting right around us again. Need more!!!

5 hours ago, Linda Bestwick said:

Please don't use punishment methods to train Paula, they create more problems that they solve.
There she is happily chasing butterflies, practising her hunting skills, enjoying herself and fulfilling all those natural fun instincts, then you arrive out of the blue and suddenly shock her with water. She isn't going to put the two things together, she'll have no idea that you wanted her to stop catching butterflies, because it can't happen at the exact right time, every time she does it. The only consistent thing that she will recognise is that every time she gets squirted, you are there. That's the association she will make and it will ruin your relationship. You are seeing this start to happen already.

I'm not sure what the answer is, or if there really is one, but whatever it is it will be based on positive reward. 
The first thing that comes to my mind would be can you separate her and the butterflies? That would be the easier answer if it's possible. After that you have to find a way of distracting her, and rewarding her for NOT catching butterflies. The reward needs to be something more interesting to her than the butterflies. That will be hard I suspect.

Thanks Linda - I know what you mean and I'd rather not spray her (it's a small spray - not a hard squirt), and do try to distract her in other ways with playing but the butterflies are more fun!!   This is the first year I've had so many butterflies on my small roof terrace, and it's her first summer - so hopefully next year she'll have calmed down a bit.  She is so playful and will chase anything.

I will take a look at the link, I know it is normal behaviour for a cat to chase any thing that moves, but it is so sad to see a butterfly being caught and squashed under her paw!  Unfortunately I cannot separate them other than shutting her in - and I don't want to do that as she loves running in and out the cat flap!  

Knowing our summer it will be over soon anyway, so I won't have to worry for much longer.

Our warm spell usually doesn't hit til August/September. We've been getting heavy marine layer the last few weeks along the coast. Supposed to be in the mid 70's for a high here today. Probably a bit less in the city itself.

Paula, I understand not wanting to curtail their outside adventure time. Ariel is a lot more affectionate since she's allowed outside now too. Of course, it's only when she wants to be. Which is at night. During the day, she's in constant play mode and don't touch me. LOL. She still wants to play with Jasmine, but Jasmine isn't having anything to do with her. Ariel will chase her around the house and all I hear is hissing. Jasmine wanted to snuggle with me at my computer last night and Ariel thought it would be fun to chase Jasmine's tail. Not fun for me but fortunately, Jasmine is better about not biting right away and I can pick her up to relocate her to a safer spot. It's like having toddlers.

This is so weird - I can no longer attach my step down ring to my 135mm lens with 58mm filter thread. The 58 - 52mm step down ring was a recent purchase by the way. It fitted on to my lens fine the first time I used it in the city and allowed me to shoot video footage of traffic with a 52mm ND filter. I can still screw that filter on to the narrow end of the step down ring. Though the wider end will not screw on to my 135mm lens anymore - it just slides around.

I was going to use this lens and ND filter combination today to shoot video of big waves coming into shore with strong winds. But I had to use the 14-45mm instead with the ND filter. 

Can't help you on the technical side. Sorry. I hope you get it figured out.

Taking a break from photos here for a bit. This past weekend was exhausting. It'll take me awhile to sort through them all and I need to do some focusing on back to school shopping, etc. Having the kids inventory their backpacks to see what is still functional and what's toast and make a list so we can go get things together. Only three weeks before the chaos starts back up and I don't want t wait til the last week to get it all sorted. Plus they need new shoes, etc and I don't know where all the decent stores are here in the Bay Area. Orange County, I'd have it all done in a day. Here, I have to look online and figure out where the heck to go and get everything. And then there's no parking when you get there anyway.

Our actual temps haven't hit 100F yet this year (only heat index has gone over), which is unusual, but the forecast is calling for 103F tomorrow and 107F after tomorrow. I'm expecting the heat index go through the roof, too, as we've gotten a few showers so humidity will be high. Light winds, too, so it'll be stale and stuffy.

Enjoying cloudy weather right now, hoping it brings more rain, although any helping amounts are not likely. But just having cloud cover keeps the sun from starting to scorch the ground right away.

Patrick - if it really worked before, it should work again, not like it can physically change on its own.

Sari yea it should. Just can't work out why I'm having this problem. 

By the way, something a little unusual has been going on for a big chunk of my life and I'm quite intrigued by it. At least eight people have mistakenly called me Andrew, including someone whose own name is Andrew. None of these people know each other. And they're all different ages - coming from different places and walks of life. Just curious if people here think it's just a coincidence or there's some deeper meaning to it. 

It all started in 1987. When it first started happening, there were multiple people calling me Andrew during the same time period (three different individuals who did not know each other as far as I'm aware.) One of these people was a high school teacher who had also taught me during a previous year. During that previous year, she never made the mistake of calling me Andrew. Always called by my real name then. Though in 1987, she started calling me Andrew around about the same time as the other two people were. She even said to herself on one of these occasions: "Why do I keep calling you Andrew?" After a while, everything went back to normal and a few months later, I went to visit my cousins in Queensland. One of my cousins there was extremely young - slightly older than a toddler so her vocabulary and conversation skills were quite limited. The very first thing she said to me when I arrived was: "Hi Andrew." And she kept calling me Andrew the whole time I was there. Since then, every few years (and sometimes longer) there have been people who have called me Andrew and / or asked me: "Your name's Andrew, isn't it?". 

So - coincidence or not?