Sari ONeal

The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

2 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Linda, oh yes it's very rewarding when these creatures show up. And I'm pleased with the footage I got. I'm thinking of buying a bottle of spring water and using that to fill a jar of grass and leaves etc. Hopefully, that will allow more organisms to populate compared to desalinated water (which is probably treated.)

Oh were those programmes on water bears on tv? Ive mostly seen brief little docos on them on the internet. I have to admit they do look cute. 

Yes, it was a TV programme. It was a few years ago but I think it was with Chris Packham and a couple of other presenters. I'm trying to remember it, I think it was about Britain, and very scientific. In one show they were looking at motorway verges and were showing the airflow of traffic, I think that was to do with movement of plant seeds. It was the first time I had heard of water bears, they picked up some frozen ones from a carpark. I remember thinking how they were super beings!
If I can recall any more and can find the actual programme I let you know :) 

Lichen and moss are thick here, @Patrick Cooper, if water bears survive all that stuff, they would probably survive a trip through the mail... No guarantees of water bears, but I could send you moss and lichen if you want... send me a message. :)

The issue would be if anything occurred during transit and they discovered there were liquids when you didn't claim there were. And your address is on the shipping label. They woudn't even let me ship bath products at Christmas via Fed Ex. Not sure what the post office rules are on liquids.  

Getting a little bit of much needed rain here. Didn't show up til today (was supposed to start this weekend originally) but I suppose Better late than never.

Nah, no liquid, lichen is pretty dry and can go without water for very long periods of time. Moss might be a little more touchy, but should be able to be sealed for a week with no water.

I don't know the law between states, but certainly you can't send a lot of things outside the UK, or recieve it. Mainly things like live plant material and meats, it's due to the possability of spreading disease. I know I can't send or recieve feathers. Check before you post, I wouldn't send anything like that if it's banned. There can be good reasons for it. But you may be OK, easy to find out, just check on the postal website for banned items. I did think of the same thing 'cos I have lichen on my black currant bush, but I could only send it within the UK, so not much use!

Yeah, the rules are not in place with the purpose of inconveniencing people, or because it's so much fun to make rules.

They exist because shitty diseases have spread before those rules, and their goal is to protect a state / country / area from being exposed.

For example -

Certain species of animals, plants, insects and other organisms, including microorganisms, are not allowed into California. For those that are allowed, an import permit and/or health certificate or phytosanitary certificate may be required to legally enter into the state of California.

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/PE/transport_animals_plants.html

I used to have a job where I had to go get phytosanitary certificates for plants regularly.

A lot of damage has been done to ecosystems because of bugs and critters not native to the areas. They still check cars from time to time going to/from AZ/CA to make sure there's no produce being brought across lines due to the white fly infestation. ANd those things are a massive PITB to get rid of. We had them in OC on many of the plants. They cause a lot of damage.

Pat where are you now?

As for shipping things, over here things are not allowed in without going through biosecurity. Moving things to another area can cause all sorts of ecological damage. 

A point in case ... a museum shipped some rare historical plant samples over here ... some unable to be replaced  ... biosecurity burned them because they apparently did not have the correct "permissions"  .... you would have thought they would have had a "return to sender" policy .. but no ....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-08/irreplaceable-plant-specimens-destroyed-by-biosecurity-officers/8504944

When we came back from a trip to New Zealand ... we even had to have our shoes go through a fumigation process because we had been in a rural area.

Pamela, thankyou for your kind offer but Australia has super strict quarantine laws. Things like organic matter are incredibly hard to get into the country without the proper permits and authorisation. Sheila yea over here as well with some states, cars get pulled over near the state boundary and fruit handed over in case they harbour fruit flies. 

I guess I could do a very thorough search around the area here to see if I come across any moss or lichen that I haven't seen before. I think it might be a little more common on other parts of the island (Kangaroo Island) compared to here. 

Wendy, that's crazy that the museum didn't have the permission. You'd think they would know about the laws and regulations related to the transport of organic matter. 

By the way, a few years ago, an individual in Queensland was successful in exporting captive-bed Australian tarantulas for the overseas pet market. This was the first time that this had been allowed and required an absolutely massive amount of paper work. 

11 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Pamela, thankyou for your kind offer but Australia has super strict quarantine laws. Things like organic matter are incredibly hard to get into the country without the proper permits and authorisation. Sheila yea over here as well with some states, cars get pulled over near the state boundary and fruit handed over in case they harbour fruit flies. 

I guess I could do a very thorough search around the area here to see if I come across any moss or lichen that I haven't seen before. I think it might be a little more common on other parts of the island (Kangaroo Island) compared to here. 

Wendy, that's crazy that the museum didn't have the permission. You'd think they would know about the laws and regulations related to the transport of organic matter. 

I think they did have the correct permissions but the paperwork didnt get to border force and they destroyed it before the paperwork got there ... I think there were a few repercussions especially as it was not the first time they had done it. A lot of herboriums will not send stuff here now.

I think you will have to go on a thorough search for stuff ... you never know you might find some that have not been "described".

What sort of microscope did you end up with, I was just looking at a hand held version ... need to save some pennies before I buy something like that though.

Just now, Wendy Townrow said:

I think they did have the correct permissions but the paperwork didnt get to border force and they destroyed it before the paperwork got there ... I think there were a few repercussions especially as it was not the first time they had done it. A lot of herboriums will not send stuff here now.

Oh yea I just read the linked article which clarifies what really happened. What a disaster. I don't blame the Paris museum for now being hesitant about sending specimens here. By contrast, the Australian taranula export went smoothly with no such issues.

1 minute ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Oh yea I just read the linked article which clarifies what really happened. What a disaster. I don't blame the Paris museum for now being hesitant about sending specimens here. By contrast, the Australian taranula export went smoothly with no such issues.

exactly Pat ... it just was the biggest "balls up" I have ever heard of ....

Pamela, thankyou once again. I think it can be done but it would require a mountain of paper work. Might need some kind of permit as well. More trouble than it's worth. It's mainly museums and science laboratories etc who are set up to do this kind of thing. 

Oh by the way, Stephen Hawkins has passed away today. Science has lost a great mind. 

Just had to share... Clara just pulled a full grown man across the hardwood floor, laying on his belly, pulling on a toy BWAAHAAHAA.... and oh the hair is flying.... Love the dog, hate the tumbleweeds and tribbles that accumulate daily LOL

Waiting for video to upload. Painfully slow.... It took 20 min just to download them from my camera, now  almost an hour uploading just the one. And i'm sure it'll be in line for review for days before it gets looked at (took video and stills from todays national walk out day. Had a fairly decent turn out actually for the size of this small island). Frustration. I hate waiting. (and I still have two more clips to upload).

OK, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Bummer Sari ....

Sheila what is National Walk Out day?

Pam a pity you didnt get a video of the tug of war ....

Pat I agree that Stephen Hawkings passing is sad ... he was an exceptional mind.

wendy, they're advocating for gun control after this most recent school shooting. The fact that the students in this last school attacked are articulate and outspoken is creates more of a chance that there's going to be a major change in the works. Many of these kids will be voting in the next presidential election and some of them in the midterms later this year. I'm thinking we might actually get higher voter turn out rates if we can get the kids to go to the polls.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/national-school-walkout-marks-month-parkland-mass-shooting-n856386

Of course, I'm still waiting for my video to be reviewed. they haven't liked anything I've submitted the last few days anyway, but FT has taken them. I don't submit editorial to FT though. But with the longer video review times, it makes the footage a moot point by the time it's available online. It was news tonight. Not going to be as big a story in a few days :(

Cool video Sari! You get quite a few different animals there. Loved the bunnies jumping around. Fun to watch.

Nothing new and exciting here. First batch of the protest images were accepted this morning and started selling right away so that's good. Two sold already. Still have the rest to sort through. I messed up yesterday and didn't get pie for the husband so I had t spend some time baking yesterday so he could have his pie on pie day O_o  But he was happy to have his warm pie. I made cherry because I'm less likely to eat it (don't really need the extra calories) :) 

I wish the bobcat would show up again, but I haven't seen it in two moths or so :(

I hope someone didn't hunt it down.

I don't think I've sold a "new" pic at SS for months....LOL

After they changed the old gallery stats you can't even see what of the newest ones have sold. I effin' hate it.