okiepony

The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

39,325 posts in this topic

LOL. YEah, I had my husband read that post and he couldn't figure most of it out either (and he's much smarter than I am).

I agree on getting more eye meds. Better to get more of the right stuff to help them heal. It's obviously working. They don't give out a large amt but they should when they know it's going to be a longer term treatment. Finding a good vet is not an easy task. Like finding a good pediatrician. There are some crappy docs out there.

My tomatoes finally got enough warm weather to start ripening. I might even get to pick my first ones today. had to top the other plant because it's been growing like crazy. I have it staked up but it's almost 5 feet tall now so I topped it at the top of the support stake. Hopefully that'll encourage it to spend more energy on making fruit and not new vines.

29 minutes ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

LOL. YEah, I had my husband read that post and he couldn't figure most of it out either (and he's much smarter than I am).

I agree on getting more eye meds. Better to get more of the right stuff to help them heal. It's obviously working. They don't give out a large amt but they should when they know it's going to be a longer term treatment. Finding a good vet is not an easy task. Like finding a good pediatrician. There are some crappy docs out there.

My tomatoes finally got enough warm weather to start ripening. I might even get to pick my first ones today. had to top the other plant because it's been growing like crazy. I have it staked up but it's almost 5 feet tall now so I topped it at the top of the support stake. Hopefully that'll encourage it to spend more energy on making fruit and not new vines.

I couldn't make heads or tails of that post... Didn't know it was a riddle, so just skimmed past it. Will have to take another look....

Sounds like the kittens have a pretty good life now, keep it up :)

I started my peppers way too late, but they are in pots so I can bring them in before the frost :) sounds like your tomatoes are doing well. Maybe next year I'll try those, onions and garlic so I can make home grown salsa :)  Never really tried a garden before.

I have not done a garden in years either. No room for it living in track homes. Made planters in the back yard for this house and they work decently as raised planter beds. Just not a lot of sunshine and living near San Francisco, a lot of cold weather so not ideal for gardening.  Maybe a green house for the next home. No space for that here and not a lot of sunshine. we planted peppers too, but they just didn't take off and the bugs are going to town on those. I have some kind of fungus issue on the zucchini too, but that's pretty resilient so it's still producing. Been having fresh zucchini for about a month now.

Sheila at least the old cat is being looked after till end of life instead of just being put down. Awesome on getting some tomatoes, I picked a couple of weedy looking strawberries the other day … not worth taking pics of they were pathetic looking haha.

Next home? Gee I would have thought you would be done with moving, where do you think you would like to end up.

Pam where do you work? As for Ziggy, he often talks in riddles, lol he has a unique mind :)

7 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

I have not done a garden in years either. No room for it living in track homes. Made planters in the back yard for this house and they work decently as raised planter beds. Just not a lot of sunshine and living near San Francisco, a lot of cold weather so not ideal for gardening.  Maybe a green house for the next home. No space for that here and not a lot of sunshine. we planted peppers too, but they just didn't take off and the bugs are going to town on those. I have some kind of fungus issue on the zucchini too, but that's pretty resilient so it's still producing. Been having fresh zucchini for about a month now.

Love zucchini! Too bad about your peppers. :(

I have plenty of room, but had work done on the basement this year, and they yard needed to be taken down a bunch so water wouldn't pour into the basement. That didn't get done 'till recently, at least I finally have grass again ;)

37 minutes ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Sheila at least the old cat is being looked after till end of life instead of just being put down. Awesome on getting some tomatoes, I picked a couple of weedy looking strawberries the other day … not worth taking pics of they were pathetic looking haha.

Next home? Gee I would have thought you would be done with moving, where do you think you would like to end up.

Pam where do you work? As for Ziggy, he often talks in riddles, lol he has a unique mind :)

In a factory making piston rings... 

Wendy, the cost of living in the Bay Area is really too high for us to afford after we decide it's time for retirement. Have not made a solid decision but we will stay here until the last two graduate from High School and decide what they want to do. I love this house, but it's just not realistic given the property taxes alone to think we could possibly afford this long term if we aren't working full time.

Sheila I do understand what you mean about not being able to afford somewhere. Hopefully you find a nice area to move to when the time comes.

Pamela ... I was wondering of you could get permission to photograph things not during work time?

We have quite a few things to work out at some stage when we hit retirement age.

29 minutes ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Sheila I do understand what you mean about not being able to afford somewhere. Hopefully you find a nice area to move to when the time comes.

Pamela ... I was wondering of you could get permission to photograph things not during work time?

We have quite a few things to work out at some stage when we hit retirement age.

Thought about asking... no harm in that I suppose. Worst they can do is say no, then monitor my FB page to make sure I don't do it anyway  :ph34r: :rolleyes:

The weather here this year has been awful, mostly wet and cold. The high for today is forecast at 16 degrees, think it's more like 12 at the moment :( My veggies have been a disaster. It was partly my own fault because I didn't buy any fresh seed and lots of old seed just didn't germinate. What I did get in went in late so it's still struggling. I have a pumpkin the size of a tennis ball and onions that are still no bigger than when I planted them lol.
The local crows ate all my cherries while they where still green, I didn't get even one for myself!
The biggest disaster this year has been my annual flowers though, omg they are an embarrassment! They just haven't grown. I shall go out in the garden today and see what I can rescue.
Oh, I did have one bumper crop, that was my black gooseberry. It always does so well and it's delicious. The blackbirds and my ducks love it's fruit too but there is plenty to go round and enough to give away too.
stock-photo-black-gooseberries-freshly-p

Sorry the crows ate all your cherries there Linda. Fortunately, the crows mostly stay towards the front of our house heckling the neighbors so we don't get them in the back yard (so far, knocking on wood). Just the squirrels and blue jays. Your gooseberries look great.

To be honest I love crows so I just stood and watched them eat the lot LOL. I've only ever seen a squirrel in my garden once. I'd be quite happy with a bit more wildlife. The last couple of years we've had Tawny owls near by. Love hearing them call at night. I haven't heard them for ages though. Hope they will be back.

Had black gooseberry crumble for desert tonight, yum yum :)

Pamela ... you can ask ....as you say, the worst that can happen is they say no.

Linda I get very little of the stuff I plant, the animals seem to get to it before I do. The cockatoos and bats have a great time in my fruit trees :( I have never heard of black gooseberries, they look like black cherries in the pic. Will have to look them up.

Crows are very intelligent, I think ours have learned how to kill the cane toads .... if so that is great :)

6 hours ago, Linda Bestwick said:

To be honest I love crows so I just stood and watched them eat the lot LOL. 

Wow, people on farms here in Australia have the total opposite feeling towards crows. Sure, they are very intelligent birds but they have this really horrible habit of pecking eyes out of lambs. Usually, they do that to dead animals but on our farm, there was a crow attack which left a live lamb without an eye. It was running around with an empty eye socket and it's mother was in a really distressed state. 

Though I'm not sure if you have the same species of crow that we have.

Was out taking pics, and though my exposure time was way too long to capture the duck, it caught a swarm of lil bugs I didn't even see... At first I thought holy crap that's a lot of dust on my lens! but they were different in the next frame. :rolleyes::lol:

swarm.thumb.jpg.d8a23062d449365d3cbb1cd9e0dbf898.jpg

We've never had vicious attacks from crows, but in O.C., they knew when it was trash day and you'd better be sure your garbage can lids are secure or else you'll be picking up the debri from the street because they'll tear apart everything trying to scavenge for food.

Crows are interesting birds ... not sure I like their call though, I prefer our magpies that are far more musical.

Pat I didnt know the crows could not count. I know they will attack young animals.

Wow Pam that is a lot of bugs!

2 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Pat I didnt know the crows could not count. I know they will attack young animals.

With regards to photographing crows and certain other birds, there's an interesting way to deceive them. If you have a hide in their presence, have two people go inside. Then one person leaves while you (the photographer) stays inside. Since the bird can't count, it will think that the hide is now empty after seeing one person exiting the hide. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Cooper said:

With regards to photographing crows and certain other birds, there's an interesting way to deceive them. If you have a hide in their presence, have two people go inside. Then one person leaves while you (the photographer) stays inside. Since the bird can't count, it will think that the hide is now empty after seeing one person exiting the hide. 

that is a cool fact to know if I ever want to hang out in a hide!

7 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

I've never been a fan of crows either. They're loud and messy. We had more issues with them in Irvine than here (so far, knocking on wood). I rarely photograph them.

I dont like the way they attack the smaller birds and drive them out. 

3 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Yeah, it's called a "murder of crows" for a reason I'm sure.....

I am sure you are right. One of the most amazing sights I saw was about 10 crows on a veranda rail staying out of the rain!