How to rotate an uploaded image

I searched the forums for an answer to this, but couldn't find one. When I upload images to Shutterstock, sometimes the site rotates them so they are sideways. I see no way to rotate them back. Last time I just left them sideways and hoped to be able to change it after they'd been accepted, but they were rejected for being sideways. How do I rotate them, or how do I make sure the uploader doesn't rotate them wrong in the first place? They are correctly oriented on my computer.

In my Canon, I think there is a menu item to auto rotate the images. Then when I see them in photoshop they are right side up and they get submitted correctly. Although I occasionally have seen some vertical images show up sideways and I rotate them in ps.

(But, thinking about this, how does the camera know which end of the camera is "up" when I shoot a vertical format. I normally shoot with the right end up, but not always. So maybe auto-rotate is just for playback on the LCD?)

• 1 month later...
Perhaps SS's software does not read your image editor's correction properly although you have corrected them on your PC.

I have no problems after images are rotated in my image editor. What editor or program are you using?

I've found that it's usually because the submitter isn't doing any editing but simply uploading the images as is from the camera. They open them on their computer (which rotates them vertically for correct viewing but, without re-saving, doesn't actually rotate the file), look at them, then submit.

Perhaps SS's software does not read your image editor's correction properly although you have corrected them on your PC.

I have no problems after images are rotated in my image editor. What editor or program are you using?

I've found that it's usually because the submitter isn't doing any editing but simply uploading the images as is from the camera. They open them on their computer (which rotates them vertically for correct viewing but, without re-saving, doesn't actually rotate the file), look at them, then submit.

I see what you mean. I believe that feature varies from image editor to image editor. My editor shows the image(s) in its original orientation, thus requiring the image to be rotated unless I choose to let it remain that way.

• 10 years later...

This reply might be coming in 10 years late but I hope it's helpful to alot of people.

I faced the same issue, I use windows. I opened the picture I uploaded to shutterstock in the paint app, then rotated it 90 degrees to the right, 

after that I uploaded it back to shutterstock to see if it will notice the shift in orientation, and shutterstock did, so I went back to the paint

app and rotated the picture back to its normal orientation; uploaded it to shutterstock, and that fixed the issue.