CAUTION! Hummers, Friends and More! As The Shutter Clicks!

Ok got a call from my wife today and we were asked to shoot the humming birds for the city. Now the question i have is what is your shutter speed for something like this?[/b]

This is a on going Thread join in and have a bit of fun you might like it!

• Replies 26.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KellyNelson

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok got a call from my wife today and we were asked to shoot the humming birds for the city. Now the question i have is what is your shutter speed for something like this?[/b]       This is a on go

Thanks so much I've got the glass so no problem there, will give it a whirl tonight at 6 when they come in for feeding

Posted Images

I'm not Kelly, but in the 1/1250 range :) Can be faster if your lens allows...

Get all the light you can, at about 5.3-5.6f

And have fun! :) They're amazing little things :)

And Kelly will probably post as soon as she gets in from shooting hummers..LOL

thanks you light my world :)

stock-photo-antique-hand-held-candle-59630689.jpg

Aww, shucks you guys, thanks, and by the way, I'm no expert. I do ok but Steve Byland is my hero!

Great light and the higher the shutter speed the better and good glass helps too. I've actually managed to get some great shots of them with my 105 mm (even though I have to practically sit 6 inches away from them), it's tricky, lol!

Heehee, I was shooting stills today, I'm in a "vintage feel" mood right now. ;)

Thanks so much I've got the glass so no problem there, will give it a whirl tonight at 6 when they come in for feeding

Good stuff, have fun and good luck!

Aww, shucks you guys, thanks! I do ok but Steve Byland is my hero!

Great light and the higher the shutter speed the better and good glass helps too. I've actually managed to get some great shots of them with my 105 mm (even though I have to practically sit 6 inches away from them), it's tricky, lol!

Gee... I shoot mine usually with my 18-105mm just because I get better, sharper shots with it!

I have played with the 200mm in the last few days but too many of the shots are OOF, and I think it's just because for some reason I can't get it steady enough. I don't use a tripod, but steady it on my knee and still too many of the shots are way too soft. Maybe it's the lens....LMAO.... ha ha ha...

I've never gotten good pics with that lens :| We just don't get along even with high shutter speed.

Gee... I shoot mine usually with my 18-105mm just because I get better, sharper shots with it!

I have played with the 200mm in the last few days but too many of the shots are OOF, and I think it's just because for some reason I can't get it steady enough. I don't use a tripod, but steady it on my knee and still too many of the shots are way too soft. Maybe it's the lens....LMAO.... ha ha ha...

I've never gotten good pics with that lens :| We just don't get along even with high shutter speed.

are you squeezing or pushing the shutter release?

The vast majority of mine though are taken with the 70-300, and at 300mm, I don't care what anyone says, it's a great lens, I've used it for years and love it.

[

The thing is - when I set it on trap focus I'm already holding the release down when it shoots, so at that point neither, really. I'm at a loss with that lens :(

Kelly - I wish I had been smart enough to get the 70-300mm when I got my camera - I could have had it much cheaper as a package deal. Dummy me, I bought the stupid 55-200mm instead and I hate it :(

I'm stuck with it till I get rich.. which won't ever happen :D

I didn't mean to bypass you.

[

The thing is - when I set it on trap focus I'm already holding the release down when it shoots, so at that point neither, really. I'm at a loss with that lens :(

Kelly - I wish I had been smart enough to get the 70-300mm when I got my camera - I could have had it much cheaper as a package deal. Dummy me, I bought the stupid 55-200mm instead and I hate it :(

I'm stuck with it till I get rich.. which won't ever happen :D

I don't know that lens, this one was recommended by a friend who swore by it, even though it was fairly inexpensive. You could probably pick one up used at a local camera store for a good price.

I like a bit of blur however if you want to capture the bird with no wing movement, another approach would be to stop the action by using speedlights manually dialed to a very low power. For instance, a Canon 550EX flash can be set to a power at 1/32 for an effective shutter speed of approx 1/22000 of a second.

Hummingbirds beat their wings 12–90 times per second depending on the species so to completely stop the wing action you really need a very brief burst of light coming from a very short duration strobe.

The caveat is that at 1/32 power, the distance reached by the light is very short, approximately 22 inches. Most photographers who shoot hummingbirds use between 4 and 6 speed lights to light the top, bottom and sides of the bird as well as two for the background.

I like a bit of blur however if you want to capture the bird with no wing movement, another approach would be to stop the action by using speedlights manually dialed to a very low power. For instance, a Canon 550EX flash can be set to a power at 1/32 for an effective shutter speed of approx 1/22000 of a second.

Hummingbirds beat their wings 12–90 times per second depending on the species so to completely stop the wing action you really need a very brief burst of light coming from a very short duration strobe.

The caveat is that at 1/32 power, the distance reached by the light is very short, approximately 22 inches. Most photographers who shoot hummingbirds use between 4 and 6 speed lights to light the top, bottom and sides of the bird as well as two for the background.

I do have a few shots with very little wing movement using good light only but yes, external flashes are at the top of my "to buy" list. ;)

I didn't mean to bypass you.

I didn't think you were :)

It's just a fact that Kelly does a pretty darn good job :D

Also - *I* am still a nooby noob, having what, two months and three days under my belt here! It was only today that I broke my first $75 :)

Kelly - maybe one day! *Wishing!*

Wow, Susan... sounds like quite the setup! I just have a camera....LOL... and if I'm lucky, some sunlight :D

I've been lazy today... after I had some approved this morning I haven't even looked at others to go yet... maybe later tonight or tomorrow... I hate to see my "waiting for review" empty, though...LOL

I'm wiped too, it's surprisingly tiring doing the shoots, editing, and key wording.

I hear you, I've become addicted to "waiting for review" too, lol.

I'm wiped too, it's surprisingly tiring doing the shoots, editing, and key wording.

I hear you, I've become addicted to "waiting for review" too, lol.

That's me... LOL...

I want to see pics waiting, but I also can't wait to get them through :o So you gotta be working on stuff to have it ready to go once the previous batch clears.

Crazier than heck ;)

Really, I haven't been THAT lazy today, just haven't been getting pics ready. I've watered my flowers, trimmed horses' feet (that about knocked me out, it's tough work), and all kinds of little stuff that's been needing to get done. And now I'm talking to my daughter on the messenger, something that always has priority on Saturday evenings :) Until I tell her to go to sleep...LOL... then I go feed the ponies and THEN I can work on some pics again.... uh-huh...LOL

This one is from a couple of weeks ago, and I like it just because s/he (could be a juvenile male by the patterning under the chin) appears to be reading the SS logo :)

stock-photo-ruby-throated-hummingbird-resting-on-an-althea-flower-59387434.jpg

Caption "Dude TAKE the PICTURE ALREADY!" :)