Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alexis84

95 % gets rejected !!!

120 posts in this topic

I don't know what to photograph anymore....i took shots of sunflowers,horses,boats,fruit...loads of stuff and it is all "limited commercial value" or " we don't need this image at this time". I really love shutterstock but since last few weeks a lot of photos are rejected.It looks like if i take a shot of an alien holding Coke that would be acceptable :) LOL

I've noticed, CV tends to grow toward weekends. The day of the most limited CV is Wednesday, (if you submit your stuff on Wednesday, and the review times are around 24 hrs). Oh, and those LCV pics do sell, some less, some very well.

Just my 2 c.

My friend it looks like time come we need to choose days when to upload :( . Now that's sad isn't it ?

Well, _I_ do choose and make my observations. Thousands and thousands of others prob do not and feel no need to, and are doing great.

I am going right now to take some shots of old castle and military tanks and canons.Maybe that will work.Everybody i wish you all best with stock photography,especially because it is getting harder and harder to get some nice earnings :)

Not having problems with rejections and don't really see any correlation with problems on the weekends. I had my last batch approved last Sunday and all were approved without a problem. Same thing for my previous batches, no problems.

If you think there is a problem or don't agree with the review post it in the critique forum so we can take a look and perhaps shed some light on it.

Not having problems with rejections and don't really see any correlation with problems on the weekends. I had my last batch approved last Sunday and all were approved without a problem. Same thing for my previous batches, no problems.

If you think there is a problem or don't agree with the review post it in the critique forum so we can take a look and perhaps shed some light on it.

I can find flaws with almost every one of the photos posted on the site. Or...ways that the shot could have been better. This is the crux of the problem....it seems to me that some reviewers (and I agree more so on the weekend) have an unrealistic standard versus the "it's a good shot, worthy of placement here, but it could have been better with ____".

I have loved the feedback from the rejections, and again, it has made me better in my craft. BUT, recently it is a moving target. When I played baseball I only asked for a consistent strike zone. I didnt need to agree with up/down or in/out - just be consistent. Early on here I would have said that was the case. Now...not so much.

I agree with you... it looks like you need to ask your self couple of times "Is it good? " "Shell i check balance once more? " "Is focus good ?" . It really gets harder and harder.

For me it's more troublesome than just that......

It's "Is it good for today? Should I take more time to upload a second or third time with the hope of getting a different reviewer?"

Just my unsolicited two cents

I don't know what to photograph anymore....i took shots of sunflowers,horses,boats,fruit...loads of stuff and it is all "limited commercial value" or " we don't need this image at this time". I really love shutterstock but since last few weeks a lot of photos are rejected.It looks like if i take a shot of an alien holding Coke that would be acceptable :) LOL

That could be the problem. change what your shooting, all those subjects were done to death 5 yrs ago.it's about being unique now with 11,000,000 just on this site.Getting approved is easy, having Images that sell and are more useful than the next guy is the "Work" part.

if i may conspiratorial for a moment, i think it is in the realm of possibility that some contributors are given a bit more slack when it comes to image acceptance...

i have no proof.

it is just observational.

Has nothing to do with the day of the week it's uploaded. If it's a picture SS thinks they can sell and make money, they don't care what day it's submitted. Post a few in the Critiques forum.

I submit and get rejected often.

So what? That's just life for you.

I learn with every response. My ideas of what to photograph has changed a lot within the last year. My approval rates have improved and still improving. My earnings are also slowly improving.

Try to find different ideas, maybe a different ways to shoot objects.

Find newer ideas.

Don't get discouraged.

Here is an example from my first 10 batch more than a year ago. Brick wall... I bet everyone has at least one in his/her port. It sold once. Obviously a LCV pict., but a year ago I did not know that.

stock-photo-old-brick-wall-31689847.jpg

Hm, strange, about 60% of my photos are rejected with "Your image is not in focus or focus is not located where we feel it works best."

But if i send it 2-3-4-5 times, it will be accepted anyway, there is something strange in theyr selection system...

That is waste of both your and the reviewers time.

Hm, strange, about 60% of my photos are rejected with "Your image is not in focus or focus is not located where we feel it works best."

But if i send it 2-3-4-5 times, it will be accepted anyway, there is something strange in theyr selection system...

a restaurant serving food without passion for the food will not sell much of it.

i would imagine buyers be similar. if they see photos from the contributor "mountainhardcore" come blurry when they see it 100%, why would they bother with my photos again?

so if you treat stock like a game, it will play you like a game.

I agree I submitted 10 photos just yesterday and they were all rejected. Not to mention my acceptance ratio except for the first few weeks was about 80% (meaning I don't even submit photos that I think don't have a good chance of being approved). not to mention that other agencies accepted almost all of those images and one of those agencies is really, really picky.

a restaurant serving food without passion for the food will not sell much of it.

i would imagine buyers be similar. if they see photos from the contributor "mountainhardcore" come blurry when they see it 100%, why would they bother with my photos again?

so if you treat stock like a game, it will play you like a game.

I'm a buyer also, and I never look at the name of the photographer. And I always download multiple photo's at a time before I check them in PS or add them to my design. So by the time I see the image at 100% I really don't know what the photogs name was. If it's not what I was looking for or the quality wasn't good enough I just delete it.

Personally I'm glad they are raising the bar. For a designer it gets harder instead of easier to find the right images between 12 million of them.

Personally I'm glad they are raising the bar. For a designer it gets harder instead of easier to find the right images between 12 million of them.

I can understand that. But it would be way more efficient if they'd just go through ports and erase the photos that don't qualify (comply with the latest standards). Most of the earlier submitions (pre 08) sucked anyway, because everything was accepted on all of the stock sites. I know they have to update TOS and all the legal stuff behind it. That wouldn't be popular, but it'd be efficient. And most contributors wouldn't leave, because it's getting worse every year and they're used to getting the punches. It's all about the customers anyway, who cares about contributors, when you've got so many of them, who're willing to submit tons of (good) photos, while earning less and less (unless the're really really good, original and are submitting hundreds if not thousands of pics yearly).

Interesting, when I started dumping my stuff, I thought many of the shots don't really have much of a selling potential, but they basically accepted just about everything yet, and they did sell some almost instantly, very-very early to judge of course. I completely disagree about being unique, this is RF, it's about cliches... as cliched and commonplace as it can get.