Coca Cola or Pepsi for the Garden?

Hi

Im an organic gardener and never use pesticides, but I'm faced with a situation in which I might have to.

Does anyone know which is better for controlling pests, pepsi or coca cola? Also, does it have to be a cola? can it be a lemonade, for example.

Im especially hoping for concentrations of either

DDT (genotoxic, mutagenic, carcinogenic - good for ticks)

lindane (a neurotoxin and great against lice)

malathion (mosquitoes)

Thanks!

ticks.

actually, im hoping the sugar will bring the ants...

do you know any natural ways to decrease the population? (Im not serious about putting toxins on the garden) Im against meddling with ecosystems but the ticks are a vector for bebesia canis and leptospirosis, and my dog has recently been infected.

Weirdly I've only seen one snail since ive been in india. it was about 20 cm long and was under a tree opposite arrivals at the airport. Slugs no. There's a hammerheaded leach thing that could be a slug but it doesn't look like the type that would enjoy beer.

Lucy, I always understood that leptospirosis was transmitted primarily by rats - rats' urine to be more precise.

Do you use Frontline or other spot on treatment for fleas and ticks? They work well. If you can't get them in India, have some of your UK friends send some over to you or possibly get it online.

I've heard some people feed their dogs garlic to help prevent ticks.

Now what home remedies prevents ticks on humans? I have picked off four on me in the last couple of weeks and I even found one on me today while taking a butterfly photo. Luckily it hadn't stuck it's head in, but the others had. I hate ticks with a vengeance now... but they love me.

I hope Fei Hung is doing a lot better now.

Luce... WHAT bugs do you want to get rid of?

I can suggest different methods, but I must know which.

ticks.

actually, im hoping the sugar will bring the ants...

do you know any natural ways to decrease the population? (Im not serious about putting toxins on the garden) Im against meddling with ecosystems but the ticks are a vector for bebesia canis and leptospirosis, and my dog has recently been infected.

OH ticks. Sorry.

Shoot the deer. Break the food chain.

small tick 1st phase -->mouse-->adult tick, 2nd phase---> deer/ fox/ humans

The second phase is the dangerous phase, since the ticks carry infections

so get rid of the mice and the deer (aor whatever large animal you have)

There is NO poision, ecofriendly or not, that can get rid of them, since they are transported by hosts.

cola is utterly meaningless.

Tick season is in full swing where i live right now.I use Ortho Max for the entire yard and the garden for all of the creapy crawly's fleas,ticks,ants,chiggers,beetles etc.Only thing is it wont take care of the ones in the trees or transported by other animals.

As for your dog K9 Advantix is great and then there is frontline second best but thats my opinion since i have three dogs.

Tick season is in full swing where i live right now.I use Ortho Max for the entire yard and the garden for all of the creapy crawly's fleas,ticks,ants,chiggers,beetles etc.Only thing is it wont take care of the ones in the trees or transported by other animals.

As for your dog K9 Advantix is great and then there is frontline second best but thats my opinion since i have three dogs.

Im sorry tio hear that.

it sucks. Poison will only cause you trouble in the long run.

....Looong explanation.....

Starts with 3 years study of ecology.

Forget about any organic repellent or pesticide for ticks these little bugs are hard to get rid of, the best thing to do is use a pesticide to kill the ones around your home and where your dog hangs around and then use frontline or any other similar product on your dog. Ticks are dangerous for humans and animals so don't play around with it. I keep my dogs tick and flea free using Frontline and it does not harm the dogs.

People should get rid of their dogs instead of spraying the neighborhood.

It does so much damage....

It should not be legal.

It's not legal they took the good stuff off the Market and it's not the Dogs that are the problem it is the surroundings where you live.

I am surrounded by more than 5000+ Acres of woods and trees with a 600+ acre reservoir in my backyard so i have all of the insects when i lived in the city i had no issues with them (concrete jungle).

The only "Eco Friendly" solution is the use of Chickens and Guinies but this wont completly stop them they are everywhere and a real PITA to get rid of.Here is a closeup of the underside of a Dog Tick and the topside of a Lone Star Tick.They carry and can transmit "Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever" and "Lyme Disease".Anything with "Deet" will help to keep them off of you.

post-159671-14368330448766_thumb.jpg

post-159671-14368330449011_thumb.jpg

In california it is the deer tick and wood tick that are responsible for most infections:

LIFE CYCLE

All ticks have four life stages: the egg and three parasitic stages that feed on the blood of vertebrates, two immature stages (larva and nymph), and the adult stage. In California, only the nymph and the adult female of Ixodes pacificus are important in transmitting Borrelia burgdorferi to humans. In northern California, people appear to be most at risk in spring until about midsummer, especially from April through July, when the nymphs are abundant. In southern California, the seasonal activity period of the nymphs has not been defined. It may occur earlier in the year, especially in hot, dry climatic zones, because the nymphs are highly susceptible to drying out. Therefore, nymphs may seek their hosts in late winter/early spring when weather tends to be cooler and relative humidity higher. The tiny nymphs, which are about the size of a poppy seed, readily attach to people.

thanks everyone...

Frontline is already on its way for my dog. We'd been using the treatments available here, but not anymore!

(Aynia - yes, you're right - lepto is from urine, my mistake. My vet thinks he also has this, despite vaccination, which is worrying)

I must have been in a bit of a panic yesterday if i was thinking about putting blanket poisons down. Seems to be the standard solution from the pest control websites though. But something must be out of balance, because the population has recently exploded. There's been a bit more rain earlier than usual, so it's particularly humid.

Some small good news is that this particular strain of babesia isnt transmissible to humans, but they nearly killed my dog (the one with the frisbee in my avater)

He's been on an IV drip for 4 days in the state capital - and I really thought we were going to lose him. They'd paratisized his red blood cells, so he was critically anaemic. He's out of 'sudden death' danger now, but we're waiting to see what damage has been done to his liver.

The ONLY reason he is alive is because is because I found an incredible vet - otherwise he would have been dead 2 days ago. Despite the fact that he already had 2 vets - and both were government surgeons.

Canines as pets are still a rarity, and there is not the same approach to animal care here (putting it so mildly that it can barely be tasted at all.) England started the RSPCA (Royal Society for the Protection and Care of Animals) 60 years BEFORE someone pointed out there should also be one for children (the NSPCC). Here my position on animal welfare is considered unreasonable and extremist.

Also I got too complacent. The animal treatments here are either totally ineffective ayurvedic or homaeopathic remedies, or industrial-grade pesticides. There is nothing in between. I got confused, dithered between the two, got blinded by creeping normalcy and ended up with a non-systematic approach that endangered my dog. I used to be proud that he was the healthiest dog in the area - but i let him down on this one.

So my plan is, Frontline for the boy (it's being couriered from Italy now). And then go after the blood sucking spiders by sealing up cracks in the house, flooding the floors everyday with eucaplyptus or citronella and stuffing toxins into all the tiny holes in the walls.

For the garden, maybe it's a good idea to just wait for the coming monsoon and the temperature change... it won't kill them but hopefully it will put the breaks on the population going out of control. Any other approach, like blanket pesticides, would be attrociously unreasonable and probably cause more problems in the long run.

stock-photo-rabbit-hash-general-store-in-kentucky-editorial-use-only-1641320.jpg

Actually Pepsi is said to have more sweetener, but I wouldn't pour either around a garden unless you wanted to attract lots of ants.

http://www.helium.com/items/293640-which-is-better-coke-or-pepsi

Im still tempted a little. If not pepsi, then something sugary to get the ants - which may predate on the larvae. As im writing this i can now see how ludicrously stupid im being to even consider it. Ants are great that they're not a vector of disease, but they could also predate on things that are really beneficial to the health of the ecosystem...

The immigrant african big headed ant is credited with wiping out most of the native insects of the Hawaii lowlands. Hawaii was strange though - it had been a totally ant-free world and just wasnt prepared. Nevertheless, ants are the agent orange of the insect world....

edit: I can't believe I'm still tempted. Must be confirmation of my humanity that it's normal for me to think I can use a power that's overwhelmingly out of my control with no care for the long-term effects.

For the first time I found several ticks on our rabbit this year, not all at once.

We check him daily for ticks and remove them.

We can't use frontline because rabbits they get a kind of allergic rejection or worse get ill from wearing frontline or any other stuff against ticks.

Poison may work on a short time scale, but in the long run all you get is ticks that are resistant to your poison or even carry it and distribute into your blood when they bite you. Plus you destroy all the animals that feed on ticks, thus removing their few natural enemies.

If you want to break the food chain of ticks you'd have to keep the area free of anything they feed on: Baby ticks feed on mice and other small mammals, mature ticks feed on larger mammals like deer, dogs, cats, humans.... Ticks survive without food for ten years and longer. Just getting rid of a dog won't do anything good - neither will getting rid of all dogs.

To be really sure to starve them all, you'd have to keep a large area completely mammal-free for some decades. The only means to do that are heavily frowned upon by the Geneva Convention and even in countries that don't care about Geneva are restricted to country leaders and terrorists.

So, as a more practical solution, use Frontline on cats and dogs. Make sure you search yourself and your kids and animals for ticks when you come home. You can even "harvest" tick from your garden by slowly dragging a white bedsheet (preferable one you slept on the night before) over the grass and low bushes. If you really have a tick problem in your garden, you will find quite a few of those nasty bugger in that sheet. (Don't re-use the sheet for your bed without double-checking for ticks and washing!)

Once you have collected your ticks, apply the only eco-friendly thing that really works on tick: FIRE! Wrap them in some kitchen paper, add a bit of high percentage alcohol and burn it in a fire-save environment. Each tick will die with what even die-hard PETA activists describe as "a very satisfying poping sound."

For the first time I found several ticks on our rabbit this year, not all at once.

We check him daily for ticks and remove them.

We can't use frontline because rabbits they get a kind of allergic rejection or worse get ill from wearing frontline or any other stuff against ticks.

Fei Hung got daily tick checks. I didnt use the chemical stuff as often as they directed - because it's superstrong and it had to be put on every week - like a sheep dip. I jumped between different treatments.

My boyfriend has couriered the frontline and we're sticking with that from now on!

I don't know which tick is on your rabbits, but blood parasites I think will show themselves in urine. Babesia shows as coffee-colored urine in dogs. Watch for signs of anaemia too! - particularly in the membrane under the eyes. And fever.

Luckily I think most are treatable, and easily if caught early.

My next problem is to find out where he got the leptospirosis... Im hoping not from my well!!

My new vet really told me off for letting Fei Hung mingle with hobo dogs. I can't cut him off from all his friends - but his best friends (Bloody Daisy and Winston the Kissing Dog) are on the list for being caught and vaccinated. Can't vaccinate against tick parasites though.

Poison may work on a short time scale, but in the long run all you get is ticks that are resistant to your poison or even carry it and distribute into your blood when they bite you. Plus you destroy all the animals that feed on ticks, thus removing their few natural enemies.

If you want to break the food chain of ticks you'd have to keep the area free of anything they feed on: Baby ticks feed on mice and other small mammals, mature ticks feed on larger mammals like deer, dogs, cats, humans.... Ticks survive without food for ten years and longer. Just getting rid of a dog won't do anything good - neither will getting rid of all dogs.

To be really sure to starve them all, you'd have to keep a large area completely mammal-free for some decades. The only means to do that are heavily frowned upon by the Geneva Convention and even in countries that don't care about Geneva are restricted to country leaders and terrorists.

So, as a more practical solution, use Frontline on cats and dogs. Make sure you search yourself and your kids and animals for ticks when you come home. You can even "harvest" tick from your garden by slowly dragging a white bedsheet (preferable one you slept on the night before) over the grass and low bushes. If you really have a tick problem in your garden, you will find quite a few of those nasty bugger in that sheet. (Don't re-use the sheet for your bed without double-checking for ticks and washing!)

Once you have collected your ticks, apply the only eco-friendly thing that really works on tick: FIRE! Wrap them in some kitchen paper, add a bit of high percentage alcohol and burn it in a fire-save environment. Each tick will die with what even die-hard PETA activists describe as "a very satisfying poping sound."

thanks varius! good info