New Vector Submission Requirements

:)

Maybe we should go for a micro-minilypse (as it would be called at another agency, which shall remain unnamed) some day. If we're lucky, Cyril's gonna join, too. *g

Sounds like a good idea. But don't expect many illustration tips from me. I'm just starting to wet my toes in the ocean of vectors *ggg*

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like a good idea. But don't expect many illustration tips from me. I'm just starting to wet my toes in the ocean of vectors *ggg*

*hehe*

Doesn't matter at all.

I'm fairly getting along, as far as drawing techniques and Illustrator are concerned, although I don't have any clue, how my files may look as a code. *g Maybe you could help me out with that.

Or we could just chat about different topics instead.

There actually is a life after turning off your computer. *g

... I guess. ;)

Still I'm happy because of the new 15MB limit. *g

Hi Anja, There is a sinister side to this - more illustrations can be included in one file.

Hey Steve! :)

Yep, I know. I recently came across a collection of 70(!) business cards, obviously even within the old limit of 5MB. Enough is enough. *g

But on the other hand it was always up to us, how much time we wanted to spend on each file, and it'll be in the future, too. *still hoping for people's sanity* :)

Apart from that, how are you? Haven't heard from each other for quite a while. :)

Yes, its true. But I fear the worst as business sense and sanity are not designers strong points! :)

However, quality work always sells and for innovative illustrators like yourself, it should not affect sales.

I have my usual manic depressing moments but I'm good thanks and hope u r too! nearly xmas - yippeeee

sanity* :)

Yes, its true. But I fear the worst as business sense and sanity are not designers strong points! :)

However, quality work always sells and for innovative illustrators like yourself, it should not affect sales.

I have my usual manic depressing moments but I'm good thanks and hope u r too! nearly xmas - yippeeee

Oh well, there's always something to affect one's sales, I guess. But if so, I'll just try to work harder myself, too. So what. That's the game. :)

Yep, I'm fine, thanks!:) Although I don't know either, whether I consider christmas to be rather depressing or, say, "inspiring". *g Seems to be pretty normal these days. *g

I tried before I asked about 15MB eps 8 files...

It is rasterized transparency when EPS 10 loaded in Corel...

You can try it yourself: Make some box, color it then just put some text over box. Push text opacity to 50%. And save eps 10.

Then load that file into corel. You'll get raster.

So, as my final finding it is only possible to load transparency saved in EPS 10 file with illustrator - no more corel and no inkscape.

Or, Maybe I did something wrong? Maybe I missed some step?

I tried before I asked about 15MB eps 8 files...

It is rasterized transparency when EPS 10 loaded in Corel...

You can try it yourself: Make some box, color it then just put some text over box. Push text opacity to 50%. And save eps 10.

Then load that file into corel. You'll get raster.

So, as my final finding it is only possible to load transparency saved in EPS 10 file with illustrator - no more corel and no inkscape.

Or, Maybe I did something wrong? Maybe I missed some step?

I was afraid it might be something like that - closing door for other software than Adobe's products.

Good, I didn't buy Xara

Just tried to upload 3 eps10 files within 15mb on 20 December (starting 21 December), and expected to be reviewed in 2 or 3 working days. But I've never known that SS would be so effective these days, 3 files got rejected due to over 5mb working file. LOL!

This is awesome. I've been trying to learn AI but having a hard time "dumbing down" the work for AI8 and never sure what the limits have been.

Once again SS quietly makes bold moves and take us to the head of the pack.

Yippee!

As far as I can see there is no problem with the file formats as they are. EPS 8 has worked fine and there really is no reason to change it. If you plan on accepting EPS 10 then thats fine but please keep accepting the EPS 8 format as well.

There aren't any major advantages to usiong 10 as far as I can see. Alot of people don't even use transparencies and I think Shutterstock has enough glossy buttons in its library already.

I think it would cause alot of problems if EPS 10 is introduced. My Illustrator CS2 keeps giving me error messages when I try to save in EPS 10 and just won't do it and I can't find a solution. So if this change is imposed I won't be able to submit any more. Right now this income is very important to me.

Increasing the file size limit is a good idea, but I would suggest to just keep it to EPS 8 format or just to continue to allow it anyway.

OK I'm confused (easily done)

I use Inkscape (cos I can't afford proper software *snigger*) but as far as I can see it exports eps files that are compatible with AI8...so that's compatible with AI10 SHURELY?

Else I shall be an ex-vectoree :(

(and I was just starting to get the hang of it too)

My Illustrator CS2 keeps giving me error messages when I try to save in EPS 10 and just won't do it and I can't find a solution.

What kind of error messages?

I'm (still) working with CS2, too, and hadn't any problems saving mine as eps ai10. Just made some experiments yesterday, because I wanted to find out, which additional options the new format offers, and everything turned out well.

@cingisiz: Of course eps ai8 is compatible with eps ai10, but that's a different format noneoftheless. :/

Hello:

Below are some noteworthy points that need to be clarified:

Vector Submissions

1) You may upload Vectors that are compatible with Illustrator 10.

PLEASE NOTE: If you do upload Illustrator 10 files, please add this keyword to each Illustrator 10 file: EPS10

2) We will continue to accept files that are compatible with Illustrator 8

3) With both Illustrator 8 and Illustrator 10 files you may submit with a new maximum limit of 15 MB.

4) The JPG Preview requirement stays exactly the same. Please continue submitting your low-res JPG previews along with your Vector files.

5) Current Illustrator 8 Vector files that are in your portfolio now will remain untouched. This change only affects the kind of file you upload to us and nothing else.

These new submission requirements will enable you to create the complex designs that you want to upload. Some of you should also experience less Color Profile & Transparency rejection issues, as examples.

Additional Note: We want to see the type of Illustrator 10 files you submit to us as well as the Illustrator 8 files that you are accustomed to submitting. Experiment. Be creative.

We thank you for submitting the quality work that you do and we look forward to reviewing your new Vector format files soon.

Sincerely,

Shutterstock Support Team

Shutterstock

My Illustrator CS2 keeps giving me error messages when I try to save in EPS 10 and just won't do it and I can't find a solution.

What kind of error messages?

I'm (still) working with CS2, too, and hadn't any problems saving mine as eps ai10. Just made some experiments yesterday, because I wanted to find out, which additional options the new format offers, and everything turned out well.

When I select EPS 10 as the file type and click Save a message comes up that says: "Can't save the illustration. Can't print the illustration". I can't seem to find the solution. But if Shutterstock continue to accept EPS 8 then thats fine :)

Suggestion.

first I will suggest to make possibily to upload jpg and eps10 or 8 in a zip file. As for now on, you are acception big files as 15mb, it will faster to upload a zip.

second .. why don't you increase the amount for EPS 10 in a way to encourage submitter to upload nice vector ?

As you might know, it take time to make a beautiful vector specially when this one contains opacity mask, transparencies and other effects.

Thanks

I was afraid it might be something like that - closing door for other software than Adobe's products.

Good, I didn't buy Xara

So, just because Corel can't get it together to read an EPS-10 file, should all sites just leave the standard at 8? I think Shutterstock is doing the right thing... technology has to advance, including stock art technology... it might force Corel to work it out to be able to display an EPS-10 file the way it was meant to display. I don't believe in hindering the entire industry just because some software cannot keep up, its survival of the fittest.

Just curious, are there any buyers here, how many of you actually do production work in Corel Draw? I have been a graphic designer for 25 years and while some agencies I worked with years ago might have used Corel Draw, I haven't come across one in a long time... anybody?

As I buyer I mainly buy photos, because I'm (obviously) doing most of the vectors needed myself (unless I'm *really* short on time), but I'm working as a graphic designer, too. Both I and everyone I know, who's working in this business, actually use Illustrator as part of the complete CS 2/3/4. Some on a Mac, others on PCs, but noone I'm aware of uses Corel.

Good, I didn't buy Xara

So, just because Corel can't get it together to read an EPS-10 file, should all sites just leave the standard at 8? I think Shutterstock is doing the right thing... technology has to advance, including stock art technology... it might force Corel to work it out to be able to display an EPS-10 file the way it was meant to display. I don't believe in hindering the entire industry just because some software cannot keep up, its survival of the fittest.

Just curious, are there any buyers here, how many of you actually do production work in Corel Draw? I have been a graphic designer for 25 years and while some agencies I worked with years ago might have used Corel Draw, I haven't come across one in a long time... anybody?

CorelDraw is Design & Print industry standard in Eastern Europe and proximity mostly but I really don't know exact percentage.

There are also some printers who have both AI and CD.

Also, you must think about compatibility with digital printing presses (dated Heidelbergs mostly)...

Nevertheless it is now clear:

Who likes to complicate, EPS 10 is available. But, also we can work a bit more traditionally looking EPS 8 vectors - 15MB both allowed.

It is great to have such compromise with EPS 8 and EPS 10! I hope that will serve all purposes and kinds of files as well different buyers needs.

There aren't any major advantages to usiong 10 as far as I can see. Alot of people don't even use transparencies and I think Shutterstock has enough glossy buttons in its library already.

LOL, are glossy buttons the only use for transparency? Hmm, I don't think so. There are many uses and I am excited to be able to start using them.

I think it would cause alot of problems if EPS 10 is introduced. My Illustrator CS2 keeps giving me error messages when I try to save in EPS 10 and just won't do it and I can't find a solution. So if this change is imposed I won't be able to submit any more. Right now this income is very important to me.

You may try re-installing your copy of Illustrator .. like Anja said, I don't have any trouble exporting to EPS-10. The problems are going to be the same as we have with EPS-8, editability in Corel Draw (and Inkscape and Xara). Again, like I said before, I think Corel Corporation should examine the problem and FIX it.

Stacey