New Vector Submission Requirements

I have no problem with being able to submit AI10; I think its a wonderful step in the right direction.

I just don't think they should eliminate AI8 submissions. There's really no point ... submitting the file as AI10 doesn't enhance what is in the file; only increases the possibilities. I can draw a single, straight, black line and submit it as CS4 file - doesn't make it any more useful though. I think we should submit the lowest version the content is compatible with; and make it know to the customer what version is required to work with it.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please do not make EPS 10 a requirement. Make it an option, that would be way better! Just my opinion

Hi KAycee

I think that it's implicit in the announcement:

"Starting Monday, December 21st you may:

1) Upload Vectors that are compatible with Illustrator 10.

"

May = Can that is different from MUST :-D

Retrocompatibility are usually allowed because the latest vesion of a software could always open previous version.

I think the REAL question is:

Are convenient create AI10 until the other agencies have upgraded their policy too???

Shutterstock is the 70% of my earnings but I upload ( like mosto of designer) in many places and actually AI8 are the global rules... For me it could be a problem work with AI10 (I mean AI10 new features in relation with AI8...like transparency)because Ai10 can only be submitted here....

And with some work you can re-create the transparency effect with some gradient... so I actually prefer the 15MB limit upgrade instead of the AI10 upgrade...

What do you think?

I think the REAL question is:

Are convenient create AI10 until the other agencies have upgraded their policy too???

Shutterstock is the 70% of my earnings but I upload ( like mosto of designer) in many places and actually AI8 are the global rules... For me it could be a problem work with AI10 (I mean AI10 new features in relation with AI8...like transparency)because Ai10 can only be submitted here....

And with some work you can re-create the transparency effect with some gradient... so I actually prefer the 15MB limit upgrade instead of the AI10 upgrade...

What do you think?

Hi

very easy to save two files. One EPS10 from ai file

and one EPS8. Than you still can submit your graphic

on other sites without too much work, unless you

don't use transparencies or effect. Nothing change

until other sites upgrade to EPS10 too, which will

surely come soon.

@David:

You're right, we're allowed to submit both ai8 and ai10 from Monday on. But later on the announcement states, that after a certain transition period, eps ai10 shall become the only format we'll be allowed to submit.

Noone knows, how long this transition period will last, but that's why we're discussing.

The important thing isn't the format itself anyways, but the question, whether we should make use of the additional options (transparencies and so on), eps ai10 offers. If we don't and go on working like we're used to, there won't be an issue anyways. Only if we do, we might have twice as much work when submitting to other agencies, too, and they probably won't be compatible to programs other than Illustrator.

Still I'm happy because of the new 15MB limit. *g

Hi

very easy to save two files. One EPS10 from ai file

and one EPS8. Than you still can submit your graphic

on other sites without too much work, unless you

don't use transparencies or effect. Nothing change

until other sites upgrade to EPS10 too, which will

surely come soon.

So basically you work more(save another file) for nothing(you don't use transparencies or effect). You're missing the point, it's not about how easy or hard is to save 2 files but about the redundancy involved since eps10 is backwards compatible with eps8. So why make it a requirment? Also another strong point is that eps10 does not translate well in other programs(Corel, Inkscape, etc.) so there are potential buyers that will be turned away by this fact.

Also about the change with other sites, don't forget that SS, while being a top earner for many, is far from being a monopoly, and there's also a yin in this yin-yang of microstock, a very big one(especially for vector graphics). Frankly, I'm still waiting for SS's response to the next year changes.

Also another strong point is that eps10 does not translate well in other programs(Corel, Inkscape, etc.) so there are potential buyers that will be turned away by this fact.

Eps ai10 itself or just in case you've used effects/transparencies, which aren't compatible with eps ai8? Sorry for the stupid question, but actually I've never worked with a program other than Illustrator. :)

And hi again, Claudiu! *g

As someone post before Anja. It is not only the issue with version 10. For example gradient meshes created in AI won't be available in Corel and vise versa. Radial gradients may result in hunderds of small pieces. There are issues with EPS8 and remains with newer versions. And some more may occur, I don't know much about trancparency compatibility, I can make some experiment.

Thanks for your reply, Vojtěch! :)

That's what I meant. If you use e.g. a radial gradient, the issues will be the same, regardless of the file format. That would mean, as long as you stick to those things, which worked with eps ai8 (or worked more or less well at least), the compatibility issues won't increase with eps ai10, but exactely stay the same?

Umm, maybe I'll download a version of Inkscape and make some experiments, too. (Won't buy Corel, tho. *g)

I'm not a happy bunny. Since I only use Inkscape (don't have AI), it looks like I'll be saying goodbye to vectors after the transition period.

Edit - dmg, you posted while I was typing. The way I read it, only vectors created in AI10 will be acceptable.

Nope, they don't need to be "created in Illustrator 10". What you'll need is an ai10-compatible eps file, as you needed an ai8-compatible one til now. Don't know anything about the options Inkscape offers to save the files as such, but I think, it should work somehow.

I'll try to check it as soon as I've downloaded Inkscape. (Not today, tho, because I'm still working on a job at the moment.)

@Compuinfo:

That gradient thing sounds like a misunderstanding. Gradients have always been compatible to eps ai8 (no matter which ones, both linear and radial ones, even mesh) if created and re-opened in Illustrator, BUT there have (obviously) been compatibility issues with other programs. And it looks like those will be the same with eps ai10.

Another thing which is new with eps ai10 - just checked that:

Transparency masks were transformed into strange groups containing a clipping path when being saved as eps ai8.

You couldn't ungroup them before you had deleted this clipping path and - dependent on the filling of your obeject - ended up with a couple of paths with different fillings and outlines. Hardly editable.

But saved as eps ai10, it opens as exactly the same thing it was before, a masked object. No groups, no clipping path, no chaos. :)

I am just playing around with the trial version of Illustrator CS4, and I don't think EPS 10 will be the cure for all transparency problems.

Just draw two overlapping rectangles and assign different gradients to them. Then set the opacity of the top rectangle to 50%

When saved in EPS 8 format, there will be a section with "Begin raster" in the resulting file. This rasterization is the reason why illustrations using transparency have been recjected by SS.

When you save it in EPS 10 format (as well as all other EPS formats up to CS4), the EPS files will include a section with "Begin binary" which in my opinon is nothing more that a condensed version of the EPS 8 rasterization.

I have little doubt that EPS 10 files with will continue to be rejected for rasterization.

I chime in that we need a definitive list from Shutterstock what Illustatrator effects will be accepted and what effects won't.

When you save it in EPS 10 format (as well as all other EPS formats up to CS4), the EPS files will include a section with "Begin binary" which in my opinon is nothing more that a condensed version of the EPS 8 rasterization.

Where can I find those sections?

Gave it a try with AI CS2 some minutes ago and it opened up fine as eps ai10. There wasn't any raster art and both rectangles were fully editable?

Maybe it's theoretically something else (what you call "begin binary"), but practically it looks alright. Guess, I need further explanation on this point - pretty please. :)

Where can I find those sections?

Just open up the file in a text editor like notepad on Windows. Macs will have something comparable. After all, postcript is only a programming language saved in text files.

The raster and binary sections will be easily recognizable by the mess of wierd letters.

Ah, of course! Got it now. Thank you! :)

Umm, doesn't look like it would cause some issues in Illustrator, but you may be right for other programs noneoftheless. Or even for different releases of Illustrator, if we're unlucky. *g

I'm curious, what the team's going to tell us.

P.S.: Just noticed that you're "just outside" from where I live. *hey neighbour!* :)

Hey Anja,

I don't really know the details of incompatibility since I only use Illustrator, but I was thinking more like a buyer. If a buyer has corel and sees a file that looks like it has transparency(even tho it's faked, like most of our files now, he can't know that now) and he thinks it might cause troubles it may be enough to make him not buy the file. This may not be so true for 25-a-Day subs but nonetheless, I just don't see it good in the long run. I have no problems with AI10, I'd actually like to make some vectors that I'm lazy to do in AI8 for here and a few more agencies but making it a requirement doesn't make any sense to me.

Sorry for the late reply Anja, I spent all day moving my stuff to my new place in Bucharest and now I've left home for the holidays :D. How's the weather in southern Germany?

P.S.: Just noticed that you're "just outside" from where I live. *hey neighbour!* :)

Oberschleißheim, to be more specific ;)

I played around a bit more. I agree that EPS 10 transparency seems to be fully editable in Illustrator. But file sizes vary dramatically according to the size of the overlap area.

My guess is that EPS 10 contains a rasterized version that is needed for printing but also includes the basic gradient and opacity settings so that Illustrator can work with it without conversion.

I was not able to open the EPS 10 format files in my copy of Xara Extreme 5. Anyone

who owns both Corel Draw and Illustrator should try if they can use them.

Otherwise EPS 10 files with special effects would be restricted to Illustrator users only.

:)

Maybe we should go for a micro-minilypse (as it would be called at another agency, which shall remain unnamed) some day. If we're lucky, Cyril's gonna join, too. *g

Back on topic: As far as I know, Deamys and MilinZ are working with both Illustrator and Corel. Maybe one of them can provide us with further information.

But after all, it doesn't sound too promising. :/

Still I'm happy because of the new 15MB limit. *g

Hi Anja, There is a sinister side to this - more illustrations can be included in one file.

Hey Steve! :)

Yep, I know. I recently came across a collection of 70(!) business cards, obviously even within the old limit of 5MB. Enough is enough. *g

But on the other hand it was always up to us, how much time we wanted to spend on each file, and it'll be in the future, too. *still hoping for people's sanity* :)

Apart from that, how are you? Haven't heard from each other for quite a while. :)