New Vector Submission Requirements

Hello:

We are upgrading our submission requirements for Vector (EPS) files and want you to know what to expect in the very near future.

Starting Monday, December 21st you may:

1) Upload Vectors that are compatible with Illustrator 10.

PLEASE NOTE: If you do upload Illustrator 10 files, please add this keyword to each Illustrator 10 file: EPS10

2) We will continue to accept files that are compatible with Illustrator 8

3) With both Illustrator 8 and Illustrator 10 files you may submit with a new maximum limit of 15 MB.

4) The JPG Preview requirement stays exactly the same. Please continue submitting your low-res JPG previews along with your Vector files.

5) Current Illustrator 8 Vector files that are in your portfolio now will remain untouched. This change only affects the kind of file you upload to us and nothing else.

These new submission requirements will enable you to create the complex designs that you want to upload. Some of you should also experience less Color Profile & Transparency rejection issues, as examples.

Please Note: We want to see the type of Illustrator 10 files you submit to us as well as the Illustrator 8 files that you are accustomed to submitting. Experiment. Be creative.

We thank you for submitting the quality work that you do and we look forward to reviewing your new Vector format files soon.

Sincerely,

Shutterstock Support Team

Shutterstock

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1) Upload Vectors that are compatible with Illustrator 10.

2) Submit your files with a new maximum limit of 15 MB

YAYYYY! Let's see if other agencies once again follow SS's lead. You guys are always out in front when it comes to this kind of stuff

But, one question -- will all the existing vector art in our ports be grandfathered, or will we need to upgrade all those files? (Hoping for the former... :)

Hi evaners,

A good question. I updated the original post to address that as follows:

4) Current Illustrator 8 Vector files that are in your portfolio now will remain untouched. This change only affects the kind of file you upload to us and nothing else. It is not necessary to 'upload' new versions of your current existing Illustrator 8 files.

Sincerely,

Shutterstock Support Team

Shutterstock

Sounds good, but can anyone tell me what new features we can now use to be compatible with illustrator 10. I am working with CS3 and do not know what features were available in 10 compared with 8.

In other words can we now use transparency, any special effects like drop shadows, glows etc etc.

Jeeze, it will be nice to be able to use some new stuff, but it will also be a learning curve for some of us to learn them all now, as we've all been restricted to having to use workarounds to get the effects suitable for eps 8.

One problem I can also see lying ahead for us is that unless other agencies start allowing us to upgrade to version 10 anything we design for SS will not be able to be uploaded to the other agencies as they still require version 8. Ooer probs ahead definitely in this respect, but great that SS is going forward.

What do other peeps think?

EPS 10 files will generate rasters in CorelDraw when using trasparency... What about that?

...and the other things that need to be clarified. The drop shadow and the other raster effects won't be detected as rasters in eps10, as long as they will not be expanded, still they will generate raster areas when open in Corel or Freehand or any vector editor other then Adobe Illustrator.

EPS 10 files will generate rasters in CorelDraw when using trasparency... What about that?

...and the other things that need to be clarified. The drop shadow and the other raster effects won't be detected as rasters in eps10, as long as they will not be expanded, still they will generate raster areas when open in Corel or Freehand or any vector editor other then Adobe Illustrator.

It is the way things work...

So, Anthony would you please clarify that buyers will no longer be able to use vector illustrations in software other than Adobe Illustrator?

I am concerned because in many markets they have CorelDraw as standard instead of Adobe...

Maybe only rising to 15MB limit on EPS 8 will do?

Hmmm, yes, a list of do's and don'ts would be a good thing to have.

Transparency - yes noted

No special effects like drop shadows etc - noted.

Is there anything else we need to know?

So, as far as I can see, by bringing in the eps10 the only benefit is that we can use transparency unless we get a list of more "do's".

Oh dear, never used transparency in illustrator before, more learning to do now. Opacity I've used in Adobe Flash but never the actual transparency panel in ai. Anybody know of any online tutorials that cover the transparency features?

Some good points brought up here too, like the problem with corel and other vector software programs. All need to be resolved before we start uploading eps10 files. Good job there is a transition period otherwise SS have only given us a couple of days notice.

Maybe only rising to 15MB limit on EPS 8 will do?

I concur.

I think you should keep EPS 8 available as long as it's microstock standard. When I start an illustration I do it with all eps8 requirements in my head. Doing an illustration for eps10 then making it compatible with eps8 means a lot of redundancy, pretty much I could just start the illustration over again. So double the work just for SS doesn't seem too appealing.

so raising the standard to EPS10 and allowing transparencies means we'll be causing vendor lock-in's for AI?

yeah, I guess I'll be passing on the transparencies. Monopolies = bad.

OTOH, I'm glad to hear the file size is up... there's a handful of illustrations that ended up on the back-burner because they were too big :-)

Hmm

I dont think this is a good move. Ok file size 15Mb is ok but going from AI8 to IA10 is not ok. If you plan to accept files that are compatible with AI10 than you should still accept vectors made compatible to AI8 wich is compatible with AI10 and I dont see a reason why you wouldnt accept AI8 files anymore.

I really think you shuld let us upload files compatible with AI8 for ever.

The files that are allready online and are compatible with AI8 are allready compatible with AI10 and all th new files that are compatible with AI10 should have a sort of a stamp notifing the buyers that it is only AI10 compatible.

If you need that stamp you can ask me do design it for you (:P).

HiCk!

FreeBeer

Another question yet:

I'm currently assisting two new contributors with their initial ten. Do the new requirements already apply to those as well or do they still need to submit eps ai8 at up to 5MB with their first batch?

Not sure because of the transition period and I don't want to tell them something wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Another question yet:

I'm currently assisting two new contributors with their initial ten. Do the new requirements already apply to those as well or do they still need to submit eps ai8 at up to 5MB with their first batch?

Not sure because of the transition period and I don't want to tell them something wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Akaiser, obviously I'm not an SS admin person, but as the new requirements are coming in to play in just a couple of days time, I would probably be inclined to get them to prepare their first images to meet these new requirements rather than have them prepare for AI8 and then having to kind of re-educate them for preparing to AI10 later. If you get my drift here.

Just my opinion at this time.

Please Note: We do plan to mandate Illustrator 10 compatibility in the near future, but during this transition period you may continue to submit Illustrator 8 files until further notice. We will alert you to the end of the transition period prior to implementing the change permanently.

In the meantime, if your file is rejected, you will receive your rejection reason as well as information regarding this new requirement.

As stated here AI8 will still be accepted for some time.

HiCk!

On the other hand I think is great on the other hand I think when I make a complex illustration spend alot of time in it and only getting a few bucks in return.

Only make a design for SS with AI10 compatible doesn't make sence.

I like experimenting but i don't know if it's worth it.