Uploading your first 10 images for approval - Read this 1st

OK, thanks. If I upload a jpeg of a vector can I later upload the same image as a vector also ?

Absolutely. Unlike other sites, Shutterstock treats the vector and jpeg as separate images. Most of us do submit the vectors paired with a preview jpeg, and then separately upload a high-res jpeg as a separate submission. If you look at our portfolios (mine is a good example :), you'll see duplicates of many of the images. That's because there's a vector and a jpeg of each. And oddly enough, many times either the vector or the jpeg won't get accepted, while the other does. (You'll see a lot of grousing about that in these forums ;)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

The FAQ's state:

"You are allowed to upload vector illustrations into two categories: one must be Illustrations, and the other can be any category of your choice depending on the subject of the image."

I have uploaded a vector EPS file and accompanying JPEG. In the Content Editor (Beta), there is no "illustrations" category in the drop-down menu. Therefore, the "Illustration/Clip art" pull-down is grayed out.

• 3 months later...

You haven't done anything wrong. That FAQ needs to be updated badly. When you upload your eps and preview jpg the illustrations box is already checked for you so you won't need to worry about that part.

However...when you just upload the large raster file (since SS doesn't automatically sell large jpg files from your eps you have to upload that separately). You will need to then select YES under the Illustration/Clip-Art area.

Need anything else don't hesitate to ask :)

I could use some help please :) I'm getting ready to do my first 10 and I want to do some vectors and some jpg photos. I tried to change the number of uploads (since I need 2 files for my vectors) but it will only let me upload 10 since I'm in review mode. How do I make this work with my vector files?

I could use some help please :) I'm getting ready to do my first 10 and I want to do some vectors and some jpg photos. I tried to change the number of uploads (since I need 2 files for my vectors) but it will only let me upload 10 since I'm in review mode. How do I make this work with my vector files?

For your first 10, don't upload vectors, just upload the jpegs. It keeps things simpler, since you won't risk a rejection on a vector technicality. They'll review your illustrations just on their stockworthiness. I think they ask for them to be around 500px or so, but I think it's okay to make them larger.

If you'd like some peer critiquing before you submit your 10, feel free to start a new thread here and post some of your illustrations. Folks here are pretty nice and will offer any tips/suggestions they may need.

You haven't done anything wrong. That FAQ needs to be updated badly. When you upload your eps and preview jpg the illustrations box is already checked for you so you won't need to worry about that part.

However...when you just upload the large raster file (since SS doesn't automatically sell large jpg files from your eps you have to upload that separately). You will need to then select YES under the Illustration/Clip-Art area.

Need anything else don't hesitate to ask :)

Ah, thanks so much! I really appreciate that!

• 1 month later...

Before I mess up my first application, can someone in the know please confirm I've understood the vector jpeg preview requirements.

For now I want to submit illustrations only as vectors, not bitmaps in the photo section. Is this an option and does it mean that the minimum 4MP rule doesn't apply in my case, only requiring a 500X400 pixel jpeg? In the OP it says 200000 pixel minimum, in submitter guidelines it says approx, I assume the latter is the current rule.

I was wondering if a larger res jpeg for preview is required or generated by Shutterstock themselves from a supplied vector for the purposes of any sort of zoom in facility available to prospective buyers.

Thanks.

Submit your EPS file together with a preview jpeg, I use 700 pixels on longest size.

You may wish to consider just uploading raster versions for approval instead of the above, just make sure you change the illustration box to yes.

True, with the first 10 it's tricky, because they only give you 10 spaces to upload images. So you can't do eps/jpg pairs, since you would only be able upload 5 different images. That's why I generally suggest uploading 10 jpegs for the first submission, and avoid vector errors. If you're approved, then start uploading vectors.

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't think you could apply as a vector contributor without actually uploading a vector, I thought if you submitted a raster version of an illustration without a vector it would count as a photo application and would need to be at least 4MP.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the replies.

I didn't think you could apply as a vector contributor without actually uploading a vector, I thought if you submitted a raster version of an illustration without a vector it would count as a photo application and would need to be at least 4MP.

Shutterstock just calls all of us "Submitters". If they approve 7 of 10 of anything (photos, raster illustrations, vectors) then you are accepted as a Submitter and you can submit any type of image. There are many people who submit photographs, illustrations, even footage. The only trick is that Shutterstock needs to approve each image individually. So (theoretically) I could go ahead and submit some photos for approval, and if they like them they'll approve them (In reality, they'd laugh real hard for a while, then hit the reject button :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm new at Shutterstock, read everything on this topic few times, it helped me a lot. So I uploaded my first 10 illustrations only as .JPG as you advised here. Today I received mail from SS (I did something wrong with my ID, so I uploaded it again) and on my first page stands:

ID: pending

Content: Accepted

I'm so excited and inpatient! Does it mean my illustrations are approved? I read so much how hard is to pass first 10 submissions on Shutterstock. I can't believe I did it in first attempt. Did I?

• 4 weeks later...

hi everyone,

i'm a newcomer here, so greetings and help me for any guidance. :)

For this moment I haven't submitted the 10 images yet for activate as a ss contributor because there's something I want to ask first. As I read here, it's better to upload jpeg images rather than vectors to evade acceptance difficulties. So the choice is to upload image (jpeg) or illustration (jpeg).

1. Is it true, in this case, 'image' refers to photography while 'illustration' refers to drawing in jpeg format??

2. Can I upload 5 images and 5 illustrations alongside with passport scan (in that phase)?

3. whether the images/illustrations which has been accepted there, will be directly become downloadable?

4. Is it illustrator eps 8 = illustrator 8 eps ? :D

Thanks in advance

Hi, and welcome! I'll try to answer your questions:

1) You're correct. The two categories are "photo" and "illustration". Anything that is NOT a photograph will be considered an illustration, even if it is a jpeg.

2) Yes, you can upload 5 photos and 5 illustrations for your first 10. And yes, it's easier to upload jpegs for the illustrations. Important: when uploading, check the little box "Illustration" for each of the 5 illustrations.

3) If you have minimum of 7 accepted (no matter if photo or illustration), then those accepted images will be included automatically in your portfolio. It sometimes takes 1 or 2 days before they appear, sometimes less.

4) They have changed the requirement, now your vectors need to be saved to Illustrator 10 eps (which is the same as Illustrator eps 10 ;)

One more tip: It is a good idea to post your images in the forums before you submit them to Shutterstock. Other people here can then give you advice to help you get accepted. For photos, post them in the "Critiques/Tips/Tricks" forum. For illustrations, post them in the "Illustrators" forum.

hi everyone,

i'm a newcomer here, so greetings and help me for any guidance. :)

For this moment I haven't submitted the 10 images yet for activate as a ss contributor because there's something I want to ask first. As I read here, it's better to upload jpeg images rather than vectors to evade acceptance difficulties. So the choice is to upload image (jpeg) or illustration (jpeg).

1. Is it true, in this case, 'image' refers to photography while 'illustration' refers to drawing in jpeg format??

2. Can I upload 5 images and 5 illustrations alongside with passport scan (in that phase)?

3. whether the images/illustrations which has been accepted there, will be directly become downloadable?

4. Is it illustrator eps 8 = illustrator 8 eps ? :D

Thanks in advance

1) You're correct. The two categories are "photo" and "illustration". Anything that is NOT a photograph will be considered an illustration, even if it is a jpeg.

2) Yes, you can upload 5 photos and 5 illustrations for your first 10. And yes, it's easier to upload jpegs for the illustrations. Important: when uploading, check the little box "Illustration" for each of the 5 illustrations.

3) If you have minimum of 7 accepted (no matter if photo or illustration), then those accepted images will be included automatically in your portfolio. It sometimes takes 1 or 2 days before they appear, sometimes less.

4) They have changed the requirement, now your vectors need to be saved to Illustrator 10 eps (which is the same as Illustrator eps 10 ;)

One more tip: It is a good idea to post your images in the forums before you submit them to Shutterstock. Other people here can then give you advice to help you get accepted. For photos, post them in the "Critiques/Tips/Tricks" forum. For illustrations, post them in the "Illustrators" forum.

Hi evaners, Thanks for the reply, this really help me so much :D . well, I'll try to upload as soon as possible because I already have some works in illustration and photography and maybe I'll create something new then to complete to 10 files :)

And ya that's a great tip, I'll try to visit the thread now and read first what people say in there and then try to post mine too.

Thanks a lot for your guidance.. :D

• 4 months later...

Hi,everyone, I'm a newbie. Few days ago,I sent my first 10 images that I made graphic works with 3ds Max.But I chose the "image" category,not "illustration".Am I wrong? Now the status of my application is ID:Accepted,Content:Pending.I will be rejected? What can I do? Forgive my poor English~~~