Uploading your first 10 images for approval - Read this 1st

To upload you first 10 vector images follow the instructions below.

1- From your vector file create 2 files.

1 vector file saved as eps8 compatible

2 jpeg preview sized to a minimum of 400 by 500 pixels (the preview can be different dimensions but have a minimum of 200000 pixels height x width)

2 - Ensure that your eps file is not larger than 5MB. (If it is there are numerous posts available in the forum on reducing the file size).

3 - Save both files with the same name (e.g. file1.eps with file1.jpg).

4 - Go to the Submit screen and then via HTTP.

5 - Set the number of 'photos' to 2 (disregard the use of the word photo it is the same screen to upload photos as vectors)

4a - If you are feeling advanced you can select 20 and do the following all at once.

6 - Select the matching pair of files (e.g. file1.eps and file1.jpg). The file names must be the same or the sytems will not recognise it as being a vector file.

7 - Click on upload files.

8 - On the next screen you will see that only 1 image appears (with vector below it).

9 - Enter your Description and Keywords.

10 - Select the Categories (The first category must be Illustration/Clip-Art)

11 - Check the Illustration box.

12 - Click on submit files.

13 - Amend any errors if found.

14 - You image should now be uploaded. Repeat this for the remaining 9 images.

Hope that helps

Chris

If anyone else has anything to add or if I have made a mistake please feel free to comment.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, before i uploaded my vectors, I took some time and read the forums here and made me a document with all the usefull information about the EPS in AI8 format...so I'll post it here, maybe it helps other people too. I hope the authors of the tips won't mind if I post everything here again without their names, but for that I would have to search all posts again :(

ckaeseberg

Avoid rasterising

The best way to avoid rasterizing is to not use transparency or Illustrator's special effects such as Flare Tool or Drop Shadow. (And of course NEVER leave your tracing image in the file)

Transparency

Transparency is not compatible with EPS8 format.

Also there are ways around "transparency," you can use blends to mimic shadows, or just chop up the item and lighten the color to look like you're seeing through it.

EPS-8 will really do a number on your transparencies, drop shadows, and any type of blur.

However, if you have a file with simple transparency, for example, two rectangles with a transparent overlap, when you export to the EPS 8 Legacy format, you have an option to specify whether the preserve paths, which will discard transparency, or to preserve appearance. If you choose "preserve appearance", in the case of simple transparency as mentioned above, upon export, the image will be sliced into pieces and colored at 100% opacity to match the transparent tints and you will still have an EPS8 compatible file b/c all objects will remain vector and will not use transparency.

IOW, it basically does what was suggested by suwanneeredhead above, and slices and colors the pieces independently to mimic transparency.

If you choose to do this, be sure and use the "Select Menu" plug-in on the resulting EPS8 file and do SELECT>OBJECT>RASTER ART and this will show you if anything was flattened during the export process. If so, you can't submit as vector b/c vectors cannot contain any raster data. But if everything remained a vector object, then you could submit it.

The problem comes in when there is transparency interacting with complex objects, b/c that will almost always result in the exported file containing raster data and being unable to be submitted as vector.

That being said, I avoid transparency altogether b/c it's too much of a hassle. I just use either the Pathfinder soft mix or transparency and get the look I want, then I get the color values for the transparent areas, remove all transparency (or softmix effect), cut everything up and color it to mimic transparency. Easy and you're assured it won't be rejected for being incompatible.

You can use any tool you want as long as it doesn't introduce a bitmap into the final eps. Transparency over a gradient is often ok, transparency over mesh usually rasterizes on output to eps. Experiment and re-check the resulting eps by opening a fresh copy and look for links.

ANY transparency will rasterize upon EPS-8 output... find another way such as blend mode.

As far as I know all agencies accept gradients lineair and radial...

The only thing the don't accept is oppacity and open paths also text has to be outlined...

Radial gradients are EPS8 compatible and need no expanding/flattening.

Reduce Size

Also delete unused styles, swatches, brushes, symbols.

And when you save in EPS format in window "EPS Format Options" put "NONE" in "Preview Format".

NONE in the TIFF preview is the biggest size saver for me

Click on object > expand > expand appearence

Open Actions , scroll to delete unused symbols . Play the action twice (somehow some brushes still remain)

Step one is to select all your artwork and resize it to as small as possible this is the option when size is not a requirement.

Step TWO open up your actions pallette Windows>Actions scroll down to Delet unsused pallette items and hit play.

Color

Your eps file should be saved in CMYK color mode, while the jpg should be imported in RGB otherwise the colors of the raster won't look the same way as the vector you see in illustrator.

Thanks for all and for ckaeseberg espesially!

But I have a question about contoversial in two qoutes:

1. ckaeseberg wrote:

Quote:

Your eps file should be saved in CMYK color mode, while the jpg should be imported in RGB otherwise the colors of the raster won't look the same way as the vector you see in illustrator.

2. in http://sellinggraphics.com/21/how-to-set-illustrations-color-mode:

The problem is that I used (during the drawing of this illustration) some CMYK color – maybe I took if from some swatch, or I used part of some other illustration, which was in CMYK mode. It is quite easy to convert illustration back to one – RGB – color mode.

Just open the illustration in Adobe Illustrator (tested in version CS3) and use

File / Document Color Mode / RGB Color save and reupload on the stock site

My question:

eps file should be saved in CMYK color mode or in RGB color mode?

1. EPS - can be in RGB color OR CMYK color, they are both ok. Take care not to have both RGB + CMYK in one document...that brings a rejection.

2. JPG - should be in RGB color.

Why?

Print medium (books, flyers, posters etc.) needs CMYK color.

Screen medium (websites) needs RGB color

You cannot display a vector format on a website, that's why SS needs a jpg version of your EPS, so that they can show it in this online galery. And as screen medium displays RGB colors best => your jpg should be in RGB.

Cristina

• 2 months later...

If anyone else has anything to add or if I have made a mistake please feel free to comment.

People new to the site will not have wandered all over the forums and so maybe will not have seen this useful and actually essential post.

I'd suggest that on that first 10 images download page you need a simple sentence which says:

"10 vector images 10 means upload 20 files, 2 for each image, EPS and JPG."

What do you think?

That point 3 is *wrong*. The files should be file1.eps and file1.eps.jpg else your system will not accept it.

Hi everyone,

Just a quick one to say thanks to all of you here especially Chris & ckaeseberg for your helpful tips. Each agency has different ways of doing things and all the info I needed was right here!

I uploaded my first 10 vectors yesterday night and all approved by this afternoon - yay!!

Now, to upload more!

Umm... just a quick question... how on earth did you guys manage to get your avatars to under 9 kb?!

owenransen you are wrong, and christopherhall is write, you have to safe: file1.eps with file1.jpg (same name and diferent extension)if you don´t do like the system will not recognize the jpg when you upload it because don´t have the same name of the eps

That point 3 is *wrong*. The files should be file1.eps and file1.eps.jpg else your system will not accept it.

• 2 weeks later...

No, that's right... Doubling your extension like that ("filename.eps.jpg") can result in an unstable or corrupted file.

Each file (regardless of the software you are using to create it) should have only one extension and one "dot". I can't tell you how often I've not been able to open a customer's files because a salesperson saved the file with two extensions.

• 2 weeks later...

4 - Go to the Submit screen and then via HTTP.

5 - Set the number of 'photos' to 2 (disregard the use of the word photo it is the same screen to upload photos as vectors)

4a - If you are feeling advanced you can select 20 and do the following all at once.

Thanks this was very helpful! But I couldn't select 20 images since my account was in review mode. By adding a "browse row" everything worked out fine.

Anyway, the submit by Shutterstock is quite confusing though...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

2 - Ensure that your eps file is not larger than 5MB. (If it is there are numerous posts available in the forum on reducing the file size).

------

5 or 15 MB?

See answer on FAQ:

How do I submit a vector illustration?

... Please keep your vector files under 15 megabytes and be sure to save them for compatibility with Illustrator 8 or Illustrator 10...