Withholding taxes-non US Submitters-answering your questions

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I DON'T FILL THAT AND DON'T SEND?

You will be taxed 30% of your earnings starting from 6 weeks time.

Welcome to the free world and the land of constitunional rights! (Ha ha, don't make me laugh)

:-(

Tony

Not when the Democrats are in charge, it isn't

I'm so happy I have a way to express myself in my own language.

我一直都认为美国是世界上最牛逼的国家,现在它åˆä¸€æ¬¡è¯æ˜Žäº†å®ƒè‡ªå·±ï¼šå®ƒå·²ç»å¼€å§‹é€šè¿‡ï¼³ï¼³å‘全世界å¾ç¨Žäº†ï¼

太牛逼了ï¼ç¾Žå›½ï¼ï¼é¡¶ï¼ï¼ï¼

SS, you really need pay me if you want translation!

说的好ï¼å›½äººéƒ½ç«™å‡ºæ¥ï¼

30%真的太夸张了!!

30%is too exaggerate!!

yup!! i am from malaysia, and my country is not treaty company. so i have to paid the 30%. 30%is too exaggerate!! Hope shutterstock can mark up the price, 0.25 cent per image is already very low, if deduct 30% more, i think i wont submit images again!!!

So now we only have 1 week to comply?If I read it right as of June 1st the 30% tax will be deducted.

Also I feel that none of the questions asked before are answered, like When do we get that signed letter from Shutterstock that we have to send with our Certified Passport???

Perhaps Shutterstock can ask one of the many other microstock agencies how they deal with this issue.

I submit to 5 other agencies and they have not requested any tax documentation and do not withhold 30%.

There is clearly a solution here they have not thoroughly looked into.

Not when the Democrats are in charge, it isn't

Can we direct political observations to another thread so we can keep this one on topic.

You don't think this is on topic? You don't think the post expressing the mistaken belief that these taxes will go for a war needed to be addressed? You don't think our new administration is behind this, and not Shutterstock? You guys are yelling at the wrong people is all. Never mind, I'll shut up now and go to bed anyway.

Default tax rate

By default, any foreign person is subject to a 30% tax on royalties on any orders that belong to a customer in the USA. You will only be taxed on orders from customers in the USA and will NOT be taxed on customers that placed orders for your products outside the USA. This rule is new, and all payments sent out prior to March 1, 2009 were subject to tax regardless of customer country.

A couple of questions that are unclear:

1. I'm submitting as a company. It seems the link to the IRS pages all deal with individuals as legal entities, not companies. Please advice.

2. How can I notarize the required documents? Will a countersignature by a notary / solicitor suffice? Does it need to be authenticated by any US recognized / certified institution in order to be accepted by the IRS?

3. Getting papers notarized by a solicitor alone will cost about €60,-, including VAT. I trust I can invoice Shutterstock for these expenses. To whom should I address my invoice?

4. Privacy. Where will my personal information end up, What will happen with that information and who is responsible for safeguarding my information?

7. Timeframe: As aleady mentioned, the timeframe to get this organised is short. Will increasing my pay-out limit buy me extra time?

I'm looking forward to your reaction.

It seems to me that Shutterstock considers this to be our problem, yet for a majority of posters here, who get rewarded little enough for a lot of diligent work, we consider that shutterstock should solve the problem that they have just sprung on us. I don't expect that shutterstock will take any ownership of this unless we all pull together as one.

Only coordinated action by a large number of people will cause shutterstock to change their minds. Individually we are weak, but together we can exercise considerable influence.

I suggest a simple petition stating that unless shutterstock takes ownership of this problem, then we withdraw all or part of our ports, (and by implication transfer our business to shutterstocks competitors).

All that is required is for someone to allow use of a spreadsheet on their website which we can all access to add our shutterstock names and the number of images that we are intending to withdraw.

If say 2000 contributors withdraw an average of 500 images each, then that immediately knocks 1 million off their database, which should give shutterstock cause to re-consider their position, and say open an international non US based branch.

This is probably the only way that we the non-US contributors to shutterstock will have any way of saving our money (either through legal costs -notaires etc, or simply 30% loss of income). Individual bleating will have no effect on the outcome whatsoever.

Any volunteers for a website to host the petition?

i from malaysia too, i want to know is my May earning need to pay for the 30% too? I had reach the minimum pay out.

And can i remove my portfolio before getting my May payment?

Great...

Dollar value is dropping in my country,

Sales are dropping and they are worse than ever,

You are taking our 30% off...

Great...

Just great...

lol, so true.

THIS IS THE END OF MICROSTOCK

Not really. Other agencies won't take your 30%.

So, let me clarify this....

I live in Croatia, the country that doesn't have treaty with US, and lots of buyers live in another country then US and now I have to give 30% of my earnings to US tax income????

I do pay taxes on this income in my own coutry, so I'll be paying double taxes 27% in my country and 30% in US, so my royalty will no longer be 0,36 $ but 0,16$ after all the deductions!!!!!!

Does SS as US based company also pays 30% from their piece of cake (what you get from every buy)? Isn't that double tax pay also????

I hope this issue will clear up soon, because if it doesn't I'll just wait for my next payout and delete all my work :((

Hopfully you'll be able to resolve this issue in a good way for contributors that live outside US soil, because I think lots of us will be forced to withdraw our work from SS :(((((

Best regards,

Jasenka

when the original message was posted by SS, it stated that this is not something new, just that their legal counsel siad this should be done! So, they didn't do it in the past and suddenlty decided they should do it...SS->is there any reason, beside tha fact that you legal counsel had a dream of implementing something new? (and maybe taxing you more?).

and afterall, you hit as with this information about 30% off the revenues but you do not bother to answe to the most important questions posted. i know it's easier to answer only the conveninet questions...

I wonder what SS submitters from Iraq, Afganistan or, say, Vietnam, have to say about paying the US 30% of their revenues...!

Pathetic!

I have been spending half of my night and this morning keeping track with every post in here, and after reading more on the IRS stuff...for sure I know that I and my other referrers wont go through the trouble of filing in the paperwork.

Especially since SS doesn't seem to be of much help anyway. They dropped the bomb, and now and then, they just add a bit more fuel on the flame, and sit comfortably in their expensive chairs which have been bought from our work and probably amuse themselves at all this.

I have seen a lot of valid questions and a lot of interesting realistic posts, but none have been answered by SS staff.

I would probably try and see if I can manage to do all the paperwork, but the hardest part of all is legalizing my documents...it is as if I would go to a legal notary and ask them about some complicated scientific stuff. It is even harder to get it done in english, not to mention I would have to search for a notary that is under the Hague convention if I understood right...well I wont hold my breath in finding one in Romania, and I am not planning to go the US Embassy in Bucharest, sit on horrible lines, just to be turned back at the gate. I have applied for 3 visas so far ( all approved however) and I know how it works with them.

I doubt my 100$ earnings/ month would make much difference to SS, but 100$ x thousands of contributors which will delete their accounts...that should count for something.

In my opinion this is illegal, and as stated before by other members, it doesn't really apply.

I am sure if I start submiting exclusive content to FT It will make up for SS, even if I liked it here...Obviously a lot of their customers will move from here as well, since more than half of their products ( i assume) will go to other sites.

So here we are...waiting for my payout to come through, but will suspend my account starting with the 1st of June if this issue is not addressed properly by SS and we are informed correctly and fully about the laws, in an English language that all non native English speakers can understand.

Good luck ya all,

PS...with me there are also 5 other submitters that I know for sure are deleting their accounts, just to keep you informed :)

My question to SS ADMIN:

As per your post of Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:57 pm (see my post last page or two), only the W8 was required from non-US contributors as of January 2009 - and ITIN was not requested to be applied for in addition at that time. Why is it required now, 5 mos later when the laws have not changed since January?