Withholding taxes-non US Submitters-answering your questions

Are other US agencies doing the same to their international contributors?

Nope! They have other ways to solve it.

This is going to trigger the rise of some other agencies imo!

How are other agencies resolving this problem? What is the difference between ss and them?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

flaps. That is what I was thinking exactly. SS is not the source of my income. US is not the source of my income.

My files and worldwide customers are the source of income. SS is the agent. I am sorry, I am pretty sure I am correct here.

SS will have to earn it in court if they want to deduct my %30. I am not giving my private info to US authorities. I am already a UK tax payer. I said it before, I can only go as far as providing my UK tax payer reference.

Cidepix you could check the pdf for further info, it is official and very complete. And maybe you find there's some other acceptable way, noticed there, to solve this out. I'm sure you'll understand more than me, since my english is limited to a 2nd language.

Regards,

Flavia.

Are other US agencies doing the same to their international contributors?

Nope! They have other ways to solve it.

This is going to trigger the rise of some other agencies imo!

How are other agencies resolving this problem? What is the difference between ss and them?

Well, having head offices in Europe and Canada sorts this problem automatically.

flaps. That is what I was thinking exactly. SS is not the source of my income. US is not the source of my income.

My files and worldwide customers are the source of income. SS is the agent. I am sorry, I am pretty sure I am correct here.

SS will have to earn it in court if they want to deduct my %30. I am not giving my private info to US authorities. I am already a UK tax payer. I said it before, I can only go as far as providing my UK tax payer reference.

Cidepix you could check the pdf for further info, it is official and very complete. And maybe you find there's some other acceptable way, noticed there, to solve this out. I'm sure you'll understand more than me, since my english is limited to a 2nd language.

Regards,

Flavia.

I will read it completely when I have more time.

But I don't need to read that at all, to know that SS is not the source of my income.

so.... I'm in Argentina, we have no treaty, so we have no way to avoid that 30% loss? (unless I move to some other country o SS opens an off-shore subsidiary and start paying us from there)

How Can I know if my country...Uruguay, has some kind of treat with the US in this matter...?

the list is on the first thread with the announcement (http://submit.shutterstock.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62243, scroll down), but to save you time: no, Uruguay is not on the list. (I checked because I'm in the other shore of the river and my first thought was "I'll move to Uruguay").

:(

Does SS plan to open other offices around the world so 'non-USA' residents wont have to go through this this nonsense?

I will not fill out these forms and will remove my images once next payout has been reached but will keep my account open in the hope that SS sees sense and sets up other offices for 'non-USA' submitters.

Disapointed.

:-(

Tony

Exactly. SS is an online company that can operate from ANYWHERE in the world. Why don't they just register on some tax-free island as official address and operate virtually from there? Why be stuck with the stupidity of the IRS and a bankrupt government?

I have no intention of providing my personal info to those people because I don't trust them. What next?!

to summarise

All non-americans are to be AUTOMATICALLY taxed 30% in 6 weeks from now.

If your earnings are $300 a month. You will lose $100 AUTOMATICALLY.

If we are from a country with a treaty, we may apply for a US tax number and submit various forms and then the IRS will not AUTOMATICALLY take 30% of our earnings.

We have a VERY short time to do it - and for many the application is 'practically' impossible.

Sure, i understand the need to comply with tax laws.

But we couldnt have been told this before? When we could all have a reasonable amount of time to comply with a difficult and costly application process?

Hi, Is there anyone from Czech rep?

I need explain that in czech language...

Moc tomu americkýmu bordelu nerozumim, je tu někdo kdo to může detailně vysvětlit?

díky za všechny...

I'm so happy I have a way to express myself in my own language.

我一直都认为美国是世界上最牛逼的国家,现在它åˆä¸€æ¬¡è¯æ˜Žäº†å®ƒè‡ªå·±ï¼šå®ƒå·²ç»å¼€å§‹é€šè¿‡ï¼³ï¼³å‘全世界å¾ç¨Žäº†ï¼

太牛逼了ï¼ç¾Žå›½ï¼ï¼é¡¶ï¼ï¼ï¼

SS, you really need pay me if you want translation!

我一直都认为美国是世界上最牛逼的国家,现在它åˆä¸€æ¬¡è¯æ˜Žäº†å®ƒè‡ªå·±ï¼šå®ƒå·²ç»å¼€å§‹é€šè¿‡ï¼³ï¼³å‘全世界å¾ç¨Žäº†ï¼

顶ï¼- åŒåŸŽçš„朋å‹

说的好ï¼å›½äººéƒ½ç«™å‡ºæ¥ï¼

I am from UK and I can get out of this, anyway. Either your way or my way, I can sort this awful thing.

But what about people in countries which do not have a treaty with US.

This is unacceptable. %30 is a joke.

That's something SS should sort out. People who have nothing to do with america should not worry about this and should just go to court to settle this thing.

My questions:

1- Will you let the potential future submitters know that their earnings will be deducted by %30?

2- How many of the potential future submitters do you think will bother to sign up knowing that their 0.25 cent's commission per download will be further deducted by %30.

You could never give this info to a future submitter in advance, that you will actually pay them a whopping 0.17 cents per download.

I am looking forward to SS updating the submitter sign-up page to tell the truth now, that SS will be paying them 0.17 cents per download.

Guys, you can't be serious. This is your responsibility. SS was a great place so far. I was even referring to you on another forum for the good things you have achieved but I see I was wrong.

As I said, if you insist on not to solve this problem the way it should be solved you are not going to be getting much support.

I totally agree with cidepix.

i have a feeling that submitters will be leaving in droves, if this doesn't get sorted out. And those who do stay won't be encouraged to submit as much for their 25c less 30%(what a joke).They probably have shot themslves in the foot.

I have over 1000 images here, does anyone know how to have them deleted in one hit?

OMG, So there are Chinese here!

Now I feel better, even forget I'm going to pay taxes to USA.

Thank you SS, I'm going to be sued by Chinese government, for I'm sponsoring the biggest captialism country in the world!

From Page 1:

The Question: What if my ITIN application gets rejected (or something on that line)

SS Responds: Well you need it...

The question wasn't answered. What if the ID forms are not acceptible? or if it's in a foreign language? an appostile documented birth certificate for me will take 6 to 9 months. My wife's is in Ukrainian, will take just as long, then needs to translated and re-certified... we are talking about a year or more to get this...

Please answer these:

1. Should we start the slow process of gathering these documents, and finally get it all filed and sorted. Will our money be returned that was taxed during this waiting period?

2. If the money is not returned - You state:

"US tax law imposes a 30% withholding tax on US source passive income, such as royalties,"

What do we get for our 30%?

Taxes are for infrastructure, government, social development, etc...

What do we get? or have we gone back to the feudal system? should I send my daugter to the relevant tax office on her first night of marriage as well?

3. I have read through all the documentation I could find to try and clear this up:

The tax is 30% on Royalties through US sales...

Will you be splitting the billing? As I understand it, the 30% is only relevant to US buyers, not international buyers.

If this is not the case, then it seems the US-IRS or Shutterstock will in the same vein and logic be required to pay over Sales Taxes and VAT to the countries that require these for sales to their citizens?

OMG, So there are Chinese here!

Now I feel better, even forget I'm going to pay taxes to USA.

Thank you SS, I'm going to be sued by Chinese government, for I'm sponsoring the biggest captialism country in the world!

åŒèƒžä»¬ï¼Œç”¨æˆ‘们30%的收入,为伟大的美国的ç»æµŽå¤è‹åšè´¡çŒ®å§ï¼Œå¤§å®¶åŠ æ²¹å•Šã€‚

Clearly there is a problem here, and SS is stuck in the middle between the IRS & keeping contributors happy.

SS could just pay the tax themselves on behalf of each contributor and just consider it the cost of doing business in the US.

If too expensive - well, then the option is set up an office outside the US and keep contributors happy.

Or if not too expensive then it will be a good gesture and a means of retaining contributors and their valuable portfolios online and staying the #1 MS agency. Keeping historically strong contributors on board should be a primary concern, and it seems there is a lot of discontent and many have said they will delete their files.

From Page 1:

The Question: What if my ITIN application gets rejected (or something on that line)

SS Responds: Well you need it...

The question wasn't answered.

Please answer these:

1. You state:

"US tax law imposes a 30% withholding tax on US source passive income, such as royalties,"

What do we get for our 30%?

Taxes are for infrastructure, government, social development, etc...

What do we get? or have we gone back to the feudal system? should I send my daugter to the relevant tax office on her first night of marriage as well?

2. I have read through all the documentation I could find to try and clear this up:

The tax is 30% on Royalties through US sales...

Will you be splitting the billing? As I understand it, the 30% is only relevant to US buyers, not international buyers.

If this is not the case, then it seems the US-IRS or Shutterstock will in the same vein and logic be required to pay over Sales Taxes and VAT to the countries that require these for sales to their citizens?

Forgiss, everything is so obvious.

I will not say it here but I will prove it, if I have to.