Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nzdzeni

"Democracy" Sucks

26 posts in this topic

I've discovered that "democracy" is not all its cracked up to be. A number of you may recall that one of my artworks, "Woven Together" was selected as a finalist for the Yellow Pages Art Awards.

This was pretty exciting except that the final decision was to be left to public voting. Fair enough. So why does it "suck"?

Turns out that one of the local papers wrote an article on the competition which featured large photos of the other two finalists (and their images) and a request that the readers support them - this article totally ignored my work, simply because I live in the wrong part of town.

I only found out about the article because dance buddies of mine who knew that I was a finalist told me about it.

Worst of all, the voting closes on Friday (NZ time). This means that being able to drum up support for my image may not be an option.

Is it just me or is publishing information about only two of the finalists inconsistent with the idea of having the competition open to public voting?

Anyhow, if you want to help balance the scales / right the wrong, feel free to visit the voting page and vote for "Woven Together". Or not. After all in a "real" democracy, you'd be presented with all the options and *hopefully* be left to make up your own mind.

...but you still have the freedom of speech.

Maybe next time your pictures will be featured by a newspaper.

Well, as tempting as it is to go off on a tangeant about media exposure and voting results, I won't! LOL!

However, this does echo the theory of my recent (still unresponded to) post here ... http://submit.shutterstock.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49707 ...

where I speculated about the legitimacy of the "most popular" images being corrupted by images that are featured or are free.

Any one image that does not enjoy an equal amount of promotion is at a decided disadvantage over the images that do receive the high profile status.

Good luck, though. I have voted for you and wish you all the best.

I voted for you....I think it's a wonderful image. And I agree it was in poor taste for the article to only mention two of the three finalists.

well having gone to your link and see what was there..... really yours was the most interesting graphic

the other where banal and left me cold. they look very slick and unpersonalized.

so i felt good about voting for you, but as i say, never got the confirmation email.

Thanks so much everyone!

There is an update to the story. I contacted the editor of the newspaper concerned and he explained that their focus is on people who live in that area. I responded to his email pointing out that I have a connection with that area, even if I don't live there and asked him to print something. To be frank, I'm not hopeful that this will succeed.

I also contacted my local paper and asked them to run a piece. They told me I was too late! So its not looking good.

This means that all of your support is that much more valuable and I wanted to say a big "thanks" for your votes. At this point, each vote counts - so thanks :)

I voted for you...twice actually, because I have two e-mail accounts (hopefully that'll help offset the newspaper's impact)

great picture too

...but you still have the freedom of speech.

Maybe next time your pictures will be featured by a newspaper.

I got so captivated by the subject title putting down democracy i got preoccupied in defending it and did not notice i was suposed to vote.

So i voted now.

I have an update on the situation. Turns out that I did the newspaper that published the piece omitting my work a disservice! My local paper had access to the information about my piece and even though they were encouraged to publish something about it by the competition organisers, they failed to do so.

Thus the problem is not so much with the piece that was published, its really an issue with my local newspaper which has really let me down badly.

Of course I still need votes / exposure - but at least I'm not kicking myself too hard for not being proactive enough.

I guess this is just one more reason to be wary of journalists! Turns out that sometimes they don't do a great job.