Color Profiles - help please!

Hi all,

I have had a vector rejected 5 times now for the following reason:

"Color Profiles--Your image contains both RGB and CMYK color profiles. Please resubmit your vector with only 1 color profile"

I thought I figured out how to fix it, but apparently I am still doing something wrong. Any ideas? I am using Illustrator CS3.

Thanks so much, this is driving me crazy!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you open new document in Illustrator, you should choose CMYK color mode and in edit/color settings you should choose-

settings: custom

working space

RGB: Adobe RGB (1998

CMYK: U.S. Web coated (SWOP) v2

If you already have that parameters, then I don't know what could be a problem.

I had that rejection as well, except i am not sure it is a correct reason for rejection, mostly because the other site who are much stricter with submission quality accepted the image without a problem.which means that the image DOES NOT have a problem with smyk/rgb color profile, which in turn makes me wonder just WHY would shutterstock reviewers use that reason for rejections??...

I had that rejection as well, except i am not sure it is a correct reason for rejection, mostly because the other site who are much stricter with submission quality accepted the image without a problem.which means that the image DOES NOT have a problem with smyk/rgb color profile, which in turn makes me wonder just WHY would shutterstock reviewers use that reason for rejections??...

Imagine you buy an image that contains both color profiles (it happens if you use CMYK as a setting and than you pick colour from an RGB file). U incorporate it into a book or magazine and you send it to printers to make 10.000 prints. After U spend a week making the book/magazine and than send it to printers and he calls you and says that he cant print it coz of a RGB conflict. HMM U loose loads of time.

Besides vector artist HAVE to be extremely careful with their work and in my oppinion the easyest thin is to wach what profile U use. It has to get into your blood. I work alot with printers I use InDesign and thankfully it has an export option of converting all colours into RGB or CMYK.

In Illustrator take the white arow and click on a part of a vector. Than go to Select -> Same -> Fill colour (or whatever you want to change) than change all into CMYK or RGB. Or easier way is before U save it as EPS do this: CTRL+A -> go to colour palete and click on options drop menu and check CMYK (to change all colours to that profile)

Be precise and accurate.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I just got 9 files rejected for this reason, went to illustrator and checked every single color (even every single color in gradients) and they were all ticked as RGB. Either I can't find the CYMK colors or there aren't any.

Also some vectors from the same series (used exact same colors, gradiesnts) were accepted. Don't know how to fix it now.

EDIT: These 5 got accepted (even have downloads 30 minutes after getting accepted, can't even find them in search yet :o ):

159397,1208153964,1.jpg

159397,1207932040,3.jpg

159397,1207911118,8.jpg

159397,1207911046,1.jpg

159397,1207911717,3.jpg

Rejected :

2838699.jpg

2838705.jpg

PS: Is grayscale also a problem?

In Illustrator take the white arow and click on a part of a vector. Than go to Select -> Same -> Fill colour (or whatever you want to change) than change all into CMYK or RGB. Or easier way is before U save it as EPS do this: CTRL+A -> go to colour palete and click on options drop menu and check CMYK (to change all colours to that profile)

I do this every time before I upload havent had a rejection yet.

And very important is the document colour setup. If you open a new document and set it up as RGB then use RGB colour and viceversa.

Be shure to use only CMYK or RGB colours in image u upload

Cheerz

I do this every time before I upload havent had a rejection yet.

And very important is the document colour setup. If you open a new document and set it up as RGB then use RGB colour and viceversa.

Be shure to use only CMYK or RGB colours in image u upload

Cheerz

I went trough all of paths, checked all of the colors of everypath (multiple colors on gradients). I didn't find any cymk colors (a few grayscale which I changed now). I use rgb document and only rgb colors.

I also didn't have any rejections till now. I always use the same swatch library and used many global swatches for easier editing (used it on accepted AND rejected vectors). I resubmitted the vectors without grayscale colors now, will see what happens.

hi all,

i am checking all the profiles with white arrow too and all seem RGB, but i got rejects again for the third time.

what about submitting cmyk, while submitting cmyk, what should the jpg's color mode be? is RGB ok for jpg's since it is only for web thumbnails

regards

bora

I still have a problem. Now I found a way to exactly tell which colors are in your file:

- select "select all unused" in your swatches and delete them

- select "add used colors" in your swatches

- select "large list view" in your swatches

This displays only the colors that are used in the file and you can see a thumbnail on the right indicating the color profile. If all thumbnails are RGB then your file is ok. At least in theory, cos I have a file with only RGB colors and it got rejected for color profiles.

i still have the problem too :(

i am checking all layers one by one, and they are all RGB, and document color profile is RGB too,

but when i put the eps into `notepad`,

(yes, you read right) it writed CMYK

so i guess, even all layers are RGB, SS inspectors have a new feature in inspection screen and when they see CMYK there, they reject, but i dont know how that CMYK is changed :(

help please

Hello:

As some of you have noticed, we have implemented the following new rejection reason:

Color Profiles. Your image contains both RGB and CMYK color profiles. Please resubmit your vector with only 1 color profile

This new rejection reason is to ensure that our subscribers receive a vector image that is free from issues.

In CS3, this is the exact error message that I see when a vector image has two color profiles associated with it:

"Your current color settings discard CMYK profiles in linked content but profiles were set to be honored when this document was created."

---

This is the error message when that same image is opened with Illustrator 10:

"This document contains objects using both CMYK and RGB color modes. Illustrator allows only one color mode per document. Which color mode would you like to use?

CMYK?

RGB?

Please note: Objects using the unchosen color mode will be converted to the other color mode."

-----

So, to ensure that our subscribers have issue-free vector images, all submitters uploading vector files must have one color profile associated with their EPS files.

If the problem persists from a workflow perspective and your colleagues here cannot assist you in resolving your issues, I would recommend approaching Adobe, the creator of Illustrator, for assistance.

Sincerely,

Shutterstock Support Team

Shutterstock

Hi there guys...

Good news... first of all, RGB and CMYK are very different color modes, you must understand the concept before you understand the way you will fix the problem (sorry for my english) I'll try to be as simple as I can the first thing you must to have in mind is the color swatches you are using to make your vectors, for example if you are using the default Illustrator swatches like DIC for example, you will notice a white triangle in the color saquare on your swatch, if you click on this color take a look at the panel color, if it's not open you can go to window>color or just press F6 on your keyboard you will see now that this color acts different then the RGB mode... the Answer... how to convert... select all the shapes in your work area go to menu Filters>Colors>Convert to RGB and here you go... now all the colors in other color modes will be converted to RGB... the bad news are... gradient colors cannot be automatic converted, if you wanna do that, you have to make new gradients using RGB colors... ok but how? this way: selec the color in the swatch you want to convert to RGB, go to panel color (press F6 if it's not open) and click on the colored square who is divided in 4 triangles above the % of the color... now you will notice that this color is on RGB mode... cool.. keep in mind... use just one kind of color mode, like websafe will get you in the right way... if you need more explanations just write to me and I'll help you...

See you,

Zeca

I too am having this problem and I must admit I am totally baffled. Up to now I have submitted about 1500 vectors to Shutterstock with hardly any rejections and now I am getting the majority of my vectors rejected. I have done everything I can possibly think of and what people have suggested in this form, regarding checking the colours and as far as I can see I have only RGB colors in each image. I am quite concerned that if this continues that I will be unable to upload anymore vectors to Shutterstock.

Kirsty

unfortunately same here,

i am trying again and again every thing i can,

see all color swatches as RGB, document is RGB, it is AI 8 eps,

but still get rejections about dublicate color profiles,

until i can solve this issue or it is cleared somehow by SS, i think that, none of my vector uploads can be approved too :(

i would really love to learn the specifications about this rejection process of color modes, what i mean that is: i dont think that SS inspectors are downloading and checking every eps one by one in AI,

instead i think SS installed a new plug in for the inspector interface where this plug in reports about dublicate color profiles, so i guess, SS should re-check this plug-in because there is something wrong going on for more than a week for more than couple of vector submitters...

I'm getting this too, and it is frankly a pain. I have been using illustrator 8 (no funds for an upgrade) for years now and have never run into this problem before. I never use anything other than RGB colors.

EDIT: I am curious about how many of these rejections are going to people who use earlier versions of illustrator. The newer versions may have changes that make earlier images show up as errors.

Hello:

All vector EPS files are downloaded and reviewed by a human reviewer. There is no automation to the review process itself.

The rejection reason was implemented simply because subscribers were complaining about not being able to use some of your vector files due to multiple color profile issues.

The rejection reason is easy to understand:

Color Profiles. Your image contains both RGB and CMYK color profiles. Please resubmit your vector with only 1 color profile

** The real issue here is correcting workflow procedure on the creation process, not the review process.

We would like to accept every image that we can, but there are multiple possibilities for rejections as you all know. Multiple Color Profiles is something that needs to be addressed now to ensure smooth subscriber free issues in the future.

As I explained before in a prior post:

This new rejection reason is to ensure that our subscribers receive a vector image that is free from issues.

In CS3, this is the exact error message that I see when a vector image has two color profiles associated with it:

"Your current color settings discard CMYK profiles in linked content but profiles were set to be honored when this document was created."

---

This is the error message when that same image is opened with Illustrator 10:

"This document contains objects using both CMYK and RGB color modes. Illustrator allows only one color mode per document. Which color mode would you like to use?

CMYK?

RGB?

Please note: Objects using the unchosen color mode will be converted to the other color mode."

-----

So, to ensure that our subscribers have issue-free vector images, all submitters uploading vector files must have one color profile associated with their EPS files.

If the problem persists from a workflow perspective and your colleagues here cannot assist you in resolving your issues, I would recommend approaching Adobe, the creator of Illustrator, for assistance.

Sincerely,

Shutterstock Support Team

Shutterstock

I understand that, which is why I mentioned the possibility that this was an issue with users who used previous versions of illustrator. You (administrator) said this error occurs when opening the file in illustrator 10 and CS3. As the error doesn't occur for those of us using the earlier version of the program, and as there is no way to set it to one color profile in Illustrator 8 that I am aware of, I am trying to determine through this forum if there is a way to fix the issue for users of the earlier version, or if those of us using the earlier version must now upgrade.

We all saw the earlier post (I hope), we are, as a community, trying to determine a way of fixing it. The rejection reason may be easy to understand to users of the new program, but it is taking some of us a little effort to figure out what it means, and I think this might be due to using an earlier version. Hence the "EDIT" in my previous post.

So, if everyone here who is getting the rejection is using an earlier version of illustrator, this would be useful information. If someone here using an earlier version who is not getting the error has a process by which the error can be avoided, that would also be useful information. Adobe is not going to take time to address the issue except to say "time to upgrade". The forums there might eventually deliver an answer, but I was hoping someone here might have it first.

So, if anyone here is using an older version of illustrator and is not getting the error but could enlighten the rest of us about your process, that would be great. My hunch is that there are features in the new versions that some of us do not have access to. Maybe it is time to upgrade, just trying to be sure before I go through the expense.

I am using Illustrator CS3 so it isn't just a problem with earlier versions of Illustrator. Any help with this would be appreciated because as far as I can see in my designs I am only using RGB colours.

Hmmm. There goes my theory. When you create a new document, are you choosing "RGB" for it? This option doesn't come up in the older version, so I'm just trying to eliminate discrepancies.

Anyone using 8.0 not having the issue?

All my settings are set up for RGB colour only. I tried selected all colours and converting all to RGB but my images were still rejected. I then tried selecting each colour separately and checking them - they all showed to be RGB colours. When I delete all unused colours in the colour palette and add the selected colours it only shows RGB colours. So you can safely say that I am totally baffled by this error message!

All my settings are set up for RGB colour only. I tried selected all colours and converting all to RGB but my images were still rejected. I then tried selecting each colour separately and checking them - they all showed to be RGB colours. When I delete all unused colours in the colour palette and add the selected colours it only shows RGB colours. So you can safely say that I am totally baffled by this error message!

What are your color profiles set as? Mine are Adobe RGB for RGB and US Web coated SWOP v2 for CMYK. If there was a way to disable the CMYK setting I'd try it...

i am using AI CS2 and still don't get any error messages about double color profiles while opening my eps's that are rejected.

Anthony thank you for your kind help for this matter from the beginning both in e-mail's and in this forum.

But as you remember, i sent you one of my rejected files and you told me that, you opened it without a problem in AI, and you saw the `cmyk` in the notepad. that was the reason i thought about a plug-in in the SS inspector interface. I didnt mean inspectors are not checking images personally.

But after our talks, i tried to draw single layers in AI with only 1 RGB color, but i still get the `cmyk` in the notepad. so i really dont know what to do next.