Sign in to follow this  
DnDavis

Making the BIG BUCKS in stock

Because this was asked:

Selling images online is 95% of my income. Using 22 stock agencies to produce an income well into 6 digits.

Sells are picking up after a slow December.

David

Care to share your workflow secrets? :) Just trying to keep 4 agencies updated is time consuming for me. I have no clue how to do it with 22 and still have time to take shots. Then again I don't think I even know where to find that many agencies to submit to ;)

First thing in research, Use the internet it is the best friend you have.

Finding stock agencies is not the problem...finding the right ones is the problem.

Simple answer to work flow:

1) Shoot

2) edit

3) Submit

The long will come in a few minutes...I need to go put out a small fire in the office...Brazil phototour needs some attention

I am more than happy to help and give some direction as to how I went from bring dead broke on my 45 birthday to an income of well into 6 digits on my 50th birthday (That was my goal)

Ask away

David

You're making 6 digits from stock photography alone?

Yes...95% of my income is from stock photography alone

I make well into 6 digits and bank over 6 digits

David

I am more than happy to help and give some direction as to how I went from bring dead broke on my 45 birthday to an income of well into 6 digits on my 50th birthday (That was my goal)

The part that interests me most here is the "from being dead broke" part. I know how to get this running when you can start with a decent investment, but from dead broke... Still trying to figure that one out.

Well, I will continue to watch this thread with much interest as you divulge your secrets!

Her goes...

First I try to stay away from forums while I drink wine.lol I don't post in many threads, way to time consuming.

Shooting is less than 10% of my work flow. I do most of the editing and keywording.

Uploading is done in the evening after a day of editing. I just hired a teen model of mine to help with the uploading.

I spend at least a few minutes a day researching what is selling and use that to adjust my shooting schedule to.

Shoot a couple of shoots a week.

More to come. Please ask questions

David

The part that interests me most here is the "from being dead broke" part. I know how to get this running when you can start with a decent investment, but from dead broke... Still trying to figure that one out.

Dead Broke means no equipment a crappy computer and no job.

I had been in photography for years with a very seccessful wedding business and some stock, however through some bad decisions on my part (One was marrying a bitch) I lost everything.

My daughter lent me money (That is how bad it was) for a Canon 10d and I started shooting again. The internet was just coming into its own for stock photography so the timing was good.

David

No money - yep, me too.

No job - dito (almost).

Noone to lend me money - but then I do have a decent camera and glass. No lighting setup though.

Timing... could be better. (Maybe good for the footage side though.)

However, my worst problems as I see them are lack of experience, connections (i.e. friends that would model...) and space. No space to even set up a miniature tabletop studio. No space to store any props or equipment beyond camera, PC and tripod.

Renting space here is beyond expensive. I couldn't even afford a single room, let alone something to work in.

Any ideas?

Dead Broke means no equipment a crappy computer and no job.

I had been in photography for years with a very seccessful wedding business and some stock, however through some bad decisions on my part (One was marrying a bitch) I lost everything.

My daughter lent me money (That is how bad it was) for a Canon 10d and I started shooting again. The internet was just coming into its own for stock photography so the timing was good.

David

this is intresting

i am going to follow this thread

thanks in advance for any info and suggestions dave

mike

No money - yep, me too.

No job - dito (almost).

Noone to lend me money - but then I do have a decent camera and glass. No lighting setup though.

Timing... could be better. (Maybe good for the footage side though.)

However, my worst problems as I see them are lack of experience, connections (i.e. friends that would model...) and space. No space to even set up a miniature tabletop studio. No space to store any props or equipment beyond camera, PC and tripod.

Renting space here is beyond expensive. I couldn't even afford a single room, let alone something to work in.

Any ideas?

Varius, Thanks for writing MY post ahead of me... ;-)

One more question.

Do you use the same set of keywords for all the agencies? I assume it won't be realistic to adjust them per agency in your case (22 agencies)

Thank you!

@ccaetano: Well, at least you have some Photoshop skills. ;-)

Maybe, but I need model photos to apply my PS skills into.

How can a shy guy like me, to whom friends refuse to pose, approach potencial models in the street, and then, not having the space and gear for the shoots?! :-)

This one's for you David...

1. David, how/where do you find your models/props/etc?

2. Do you pay your models?

Good Question...First keep in mind that you don't need a studio. In fact the best sellers are real life lifestyles...Use your kids bedroom. Kids studing. Your office for business shots. Etc.

Models...My Asian teen model lives across the street. $20 bucks to model, now that's a cheap date.

Two woman out walking with babies. Offered them free professional images of the kids...New baby models. I'm always looking for new models.

Pick and choose models with the most care. Be picky. Modelmayhem.com and Onemodelplace.com are a couple of websites to look at. Living in northern Kentucky is not the modeling center and I do find internet models to have a very large ego and over inflated self worth.

Hope this helps David

Also keep in mind that I do travel all over the world. That's a perk of the business. Most of my images are shot within 20 miles of my house. You don't have to travel...you just need to think

David

@ccaetano: Well, at least you have some Photoshop skills. ;-)

While knowing how do to all the cool stuff Photoshop can do is neat and I love creating cool images with it...All you really need is basic retouching skills. Something most people can learn in a couple of days.

Need and want are two differant things

David

David, wow. And thank you. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to ask first and I'm watching this thread closely! :)

Sometime in November I decided to make an attempt at going full time, but at the moment I'm a little scared that I'm going full broke fast instead. Seeing others that have done it/do it successfully really helps keep my spirits, confidence, and motivation up.

Sometime in November I decided to make an attempt at going full time, but at the moment I'm a little scared that I'm going full broke fast instead. Seeing others that have done it/do it successfully really helps keep my spirits, confidence, and motivation up.

I decided 5 years ago that if I was going to bust my ass at work I was not going to make someone else rich. With that said...

I don't think most photographers are willing to shoot what it takes to make big bucks. While I enjoy shooting beautiful woman in thongs (and they will make some money) any photographer making really big dollars is shooting little glamour.

Motto of the day...

"The beauty of being a stock photographer is that you can shoot anything you want. However keep in mind that your income well be affected by those decisions."

David

I decided 5 years ago that if I was going to bust my ass at work I was not going to make someone else rich. With that said...

I don't think most photographers are willing to shoot what it takes to make big bucks. While I enjoy shooting beautiful woman in thongs (and they will make some money) any photographer making really big dollars is shooting little glamour.

Motto of the day...

"The beauty of being a stock photographer is that you can shoot anything you want. However keep in mind that your income well be affected by those decisions."

David

Well said David. Might I also add that sales consistency comes with variety which you have in spades. It also helps that your a very good Photographer.And I totally agree about the studio comment.Your work is clean and to the point. Great Thread. "Need and want" you nailed that one.

One more question.

Do you use the same set of keywords for all the agencies? I assume it won't be realistic to adjust them per agency in your case (22 agencies)

Thank you!

Keywording...I keyword one time for all agencies and if an image is rejected I rarely spend time fixing and resubmitting it.

Time is your biggest enemy, do the best job you can the first time and move on. We as photographer have a monster ego...set it aside and move on. It is not a personal attack to have an image rejected.

David

So do you spend little time and effort on customizing for the nuances between the different sites?

Some you input keywords as is. Some take your keywords and then interpret them and require you to select/de-select from their list. Some want you to put scientific names in the key words while others want that in the title only. Some dislike geographic venue as a keyword while others are perfectly fine with it. Some handle phrases or slang better than others.

Some have a title and a description while some merely have a title.

Some demand a MR for any child in the image, recognizable or not while others only demand an MR for recognizable figures.

Etc etc etc.

How do you deal with that among 22 different friggin' sites?

How do you deal with that among 22 different friggin' sites?

As I stated before I keyword and retouch one time and submit to all 22 agencies.

Now I don't send Microstock to agencies such as "PhotoResearchers".

I send Microstock to Microstock agencies and Licensed images to agencies that market those images.

Model Releases...Here is how I handle that. IF there is a person in it that I don't have a release for I will only use it for editorial stuff, where you don't need a release.

David