I've just finished trying to edit some video in Adobe Premier Pro from my son's Sony hard drive camcorder. It's in MPEG format and is IMPOSSIBLE to edit in PP. The camcorder software works but is very limited in features. I would think that MPG compression would be as hard to work with as MPEG. IMHO: MOV is large but the non-compression is required for professional ediring software.

RS

PS: If anyone is getting a new camera, and wants to be able to edit, check the recording format. Stay away from any compressed formats!

Well that's just the way most new HDV camera are going. There files are so large that they must compress the file as it is recorded. I have the Canon HV20 and it records to tape in the m2t or MPEG format. You are right the old versions of Premier Pro doesn't work but the new CS3 version handles them with no problem and you can fully process the clips with CS3. AND yes the original 100,000KB capture processes into a 500,000KB QT .MOV file. It would be great to keep it in the MPEG m2t format to submit but don't think most buyers want it theat way. Have you tried the freeware HDVSplit and MPEG Streamclip programs. I had to use them untill I got the CS3. Best of luck.

Don

I have PP 1.5 and it works just fine with HDV video from my Canon XH A1. However the video from the sony SR80 would absolutely not hold audio sync either on the timeline or after being exported and played in WMP. If there is some solution that would make PP work I couldn't find anything with numerous google searches.

RS

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is a little nit pickey but mpeg1 is one of the older formats and is playable by really old macs and pc's without the need for installation of software where as .mov requires the installation of Quicktime on a pc. I've tested mpeg1 on Macs with OS8, and on old windows 3.1 operating systems.

Splitting hairs I know but when I used to edit video for my full-time job this was something I had to take into consideration when distributing training videos to sales reps. I'm sure it's not much of an issue anymore but some of those guys barely knew how to turn a computer on let alone install software.

mpeg2 is another story all together. Last time I checked mpeg2 is copywrited so not a lot of computers can play them unless it came boxed with their video editing software.

MOV. No problem to edit, no matter what system.

MPG - faster download, but inter-frame compression. Might result in problems during editing.