Camera bags/ backpacks

I have a Crumpler rucksack - in fact quite good - but I need to be cautious about the zipper. I never leave it with a camera in it and an open zipper. Otherwise I know exactly what will happen some day. However, I would like a completely watertight box for rowing purposes on rough waters.

I understand that Pelican should be sought for. I think somebody showed a box-like thing with straps for carrying on the back some while ago? That would be nice..

I use nothing but. pelican and storm Hard cases with rollers and a handle. they are carryon size.Bags are to heavy for me.and not very good protection.I've seen to many times, forgetting a zipper and BAM there goes a lens.

That happend to me!

I dropped my camera attached to my 70-200mm lens out of my backpack from my truck, $500.00 repair!

Im extra careful now

happened to me also , 70-200mm f2.8 attached to 350d, canon 400mm f5.6 , but i was lucky , no demage , just few scratches...

. I think somebody showed a box-like thing with straps for carrying on the back some while ago? That would be nice..

Hi Quist

Take a look at the link in my post above - this is supposed to be waterproof, airtight (has a little air release thingy,) padlockable and you can sit or stand on it - I think I saw a car drive over it on one ad but I am not going to try that

I used to carry the box bag my gamera came in, but as my lense collection grew this became silly. So I bought a 'Ladies Size' Berghaus rucksac...easy to use, hands free, goes through airport security..I wish I had changed to it years ago..:) :)

Thanks for all the suggestions!! Crumpler is growing on me, and the Shootsac looks cool, but it seems to be more of a bag to take out on a shoot rather than to travel with (I need something that can act as both).

And I really prefer something I can wear rather than carry or wheel because I travel to and from the US a few times a year and always have 2 huge, over packed suitcases with me (o the way back atleast, hehe) so wheeling something else would be damn dear impossible...have a hard enough time with the 2 suitcases as it is.

So as of right now it looks like I'm going to go wiht a crumpler or get a regular backpack = some domke inderts = extra foam for the bottom and make my own :)

I have a lowepro backpak which holds most of my gear if I leave a couple of lenses at home. It's OK but lately I've been finding it too heavy (I'm only 5'1" and I've not been well) and I want to travel light especially if I'm just incidental shooting. Also with a full back pack I'm always bumping into people with it. I've been thinking about this bag

the Lima Naneu Pro

Lima Naneu

There is a guy on You-Tube who gives you the ins and outs of the bag too, which I kinda enjoyed.

Hi Quist

Take a look at the link in my post above - this is supposed to be waterproof, airtight (has a little air release thingy,) padlockable and you can sit or stand on it - I think I saw a car drive over it on one ad but I am not going to try that

Though not my thread - thanks Christine, they look as if could be the ones....

I have the shootsac and it does well as a travel day bag. I can fit my lenses, wallet, cell phone, keys and a few other tidbits and they are all very safe and sound in there. Plus, it's 'stylin'... It even doubled as a camera bag/diaper bag a few months ago believe it or not!

In terms of taking it out on shoots it has made it SO much easier for me to get the shot I need with quick and easy access to my gear without having to tote around a big huge backpack. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

There is no one perfect bag or case that will cover all needs. I don't do assignments anymore, but I still have 10 bags.

When traveling I bring the F-6 (Little Bit Smaller) Domke shoulder bag with an UpStrap. In the bag are two D200s with two zooms, a 17-50 and a 55-200.

A long time ago, I dropped a Leica M2 with a 90mm lens attached out the door of a Huey helicopter in War Zone C. (It was me or the camera.) It spiraled down through the three-canopied jungle and disappeared forever.

Ryan

I love my Crumpler - think it is a "Brian's Hot Tub" (they all have wacky names). I have had it for about 3 years, it's travelled extensively with me and has not failed me at all. It's 100% waterproof, fits in a lot of gear and a 17" laptop. When fully loaded it probably weighs more than my check-in luggage so I have to act as if it's light when I am checking in on flights!

I use this one most of the time:

5547openlrgxz1.jpg

And I use this one anytime I need to bring my laptop along as well as my camera:

5549openlgmv7.jpg

Both are part of the Tamrac Adventure series. And while they don't come in pink, they come in red, grey and camouflage. (Both of mine are red.) I really like how they look like a regular backpack... and not necessarily a big, bulky camera bag.

And they have plenty of room! I keep all my equipment in the bottom part, and I dump the contents of my purse into the top part... and I'm good to go!

Has anyone used, or seen the Dakine Mission Photo Pack?

Its a snowboard backpack but comes with a removable photoblock which somehow is inserted into the backpack and then you can accsess your gear but unzipping the back panal of the backpack. Looks pretty cool because then at home you can just take out the photoblock and use it to store your gear and use the backpack for whatever. And the snowboard carry system ont he front can double as a tripod holder. Looks like it could be useful to travel with..then I'd just get a crumpler or shootsac messenger bag for when I'm out shooting and wanna bring another a lens or 2 with me.

• 11 years later...

Tough question. every year they do all new type Bags. Hard Cases, soft Cases. I have a garage full of them. I don't Like any of them. to heavy. to Loose.Not enough Of this or that. Ya can't win. My Camera store is the largest On the west Coast. they have rows and rows Of bags.I use rolling Hard cases.

On 6/2/2019 at 3:49 PM, Laurin Rinder said:

Tough question. every year they do all new type Bags. Hard Cases, soft Cases. I have a garage full of them. I don't Like any of them. to heavy. to Loose.Not enough Of this or that. Ya can't win. My Camera store is the largest On the west Coast. they have rows and rows Of bags.I use rolling Hard cases.

Isn't a rolling case a problem for kayak or hiking, or do you have assistants carry your equipment for you? Waterproof Lowpro or same kind design with compartments is best for activity and outdoor. 

I can't swim so No water and I don't hike. To Old. LOL going to India soon. 2 large storm Cases is My choice. and I have assistants. 76 Ya run Out of gas. pretty quick. I will be shooting Medical procedures.So total surgery Look.In and Out of airports is My issue. If I was younger. Big Back Packs I would probably do.Theres some pretty slick Ones Nowadays.

On 6/10/2019 at 12:04 AM, Maria Blassingame said:

Domke guidelines along with Lowepro. I use a generic backpack. I do not market what I lug.

I'm more modular, but honest, I should get a nice bag with wheels, I'm getting too old for huffing and puffing equipment in and out of media centers.

When I'm hiking or walking, simple... leave the excess in the car, only carry what I need. Plus twice as many cards, batteries, a monopod and a CPL or course. 😎 Photo vest, many pockets, carabiner clips and cargo pants. No backpack, no tripod, I wear as much as I can or hang it on myself. One body, two lenses, or three if I can put a wide in a case, on my belt. Oh and the favorite of all time!

Black Rapid double

Double-Breathe.media.black.small.02.jpg?

One side for a second lens, the other for a camera, leaves hands mostly free, great weight distribution.

11 hours ago, HodagMedia said:

I'm more modular, but honest, I should get a nice bag with wheels, I'm getting too old for huffing and puffing equipment in and out of media centers.

When I'm hiking or walking, simple... leave the excess in the car, only carry what I need. Plus twice as many cards, batteries, a monopod and a CPL or course. 😎 Photo vest, many pockets, carabiner clips and cargo pants. No backpack, no tripod, I wear as much as I can or hang it on myself. One body, two lenses, or three if I can put a wide in a case, on my belt. Oh and the favorite of all time!

Black Rapid double

Double-Breathe.media.black.small.02.jpg?

One side for a second lens, the other for a camera, leaves hands mostly free, great weight distribution.

Thats what I Need.

On 6/13/2019 at 12:00 AM, Laurin Rinder said:

Thats what I Need.

I was skeptical at first, they aren't cheap, but after one day of working at the races, up and down hills and walking all over, I was convinced a great investment. There are also some subtle places to clip on things, like my scanner. That along with the photo vests, with all the pockets, and I'm wearing my gear, with the weight distributed on my shoulders and belt.

I'm not saying that backpacks aren't good, just that for moving and shooting, the vest and harness works best for me.

I sold my 400mm f/2.8 because it was too big, too heavy and too expensive. Nice lens, but not suited for shoot and move, walking miles, up and down hills.

• 2 months later...