What type of Photos (Ex: Landscape or People or Animals) sells the most in your Portfolio?

Professionally shot model-released images of people of all ages in different environments working, laughing, eating and being active is generally most commercially viable.

Landscapes, nature, wildlife and architecture don't usually do as well because the market is saturated with those images and unless your pictures are absolutely spectacular, they wouldn't stand out.

That said, any image can sell well if you describe and keyword it accurately. My best sellers include an image of a tiger, a shopkeeper, the Taj Mahal, the Himalayas and a garbage bin. So anything can sell.

As Alexandre has already mentioned, model released, lifestyle images of people doing interesting things will make you the most money but SS's earning structure no longer supports the time and expense it takes to make this kind of image. 

I shoot all kinds of photos (other than model released photos) and no one genre seems to stands out as the most productive.  However, my lifetime earnings from ODs, Els and SOs represents nearly 2/3rds of my total earnings (enhanced represent only 18%).  Surprisingly, my big three percentage continues to stay high in 2021 (73%) but (like most everyone else) my earnings has declined dramatically thanks to the current payout structure.  

At the risk of opening up the "Quality vs Quantity" discussion, I would suggest you work on your composition and lighting (we can all improve in these two areas) and then upload only your best images.  I suspect this will increase your EL and big three percentage, however, your income may or may not increase. That, obviously,  is part of a larger discussion.  One which will never be resolved or agreed upon.      

For straight up sales and downloads, model released photos of people will sell the most.  they're also the most expensive (models, locations, etc) and labour intensive to produce.  The problem is you still only get $0.10 per shot, maybe a few dollars at best, so it's going to take forever to recoup your costs.

If you just take nice photos of stuff that interest you, you'll probably do pretty good.

On 9/17/2021 at 3:26 PM, clivewa said:

I do abstract paintings, for my own pleasure.  I find these sell much better than my attempts at landscape photography.  But then, it may just be that I'm a better painter than landscape photographer.

I think you are a great painter! 

Many thanks for this Rudy, I am truly flattered.

54 minutes ago, clivewa said:

I think you are a great painter! 

Many thanks for this Rudy, I am truly flattered.

well, I am not an "expert" or anything, but I happen to like art and I have seen a painting or two. As a -self proclaimed- artsy photographer (no, not here) I always look at other art forms. I think we can learn from each other. After all, it was a photographer (one of my two heroes) , Alfred Stieglitz, who introduced Picasso, Matisse, Rodin, and a few others to the US and the world really. I also grew up in the land of Van Gogh. That helped.

BTW, I am not going to tell you that you could do much better than Microstock, but I am also not going to tell you that you could do much worse

Did you ever try Cubism?

13 minutes ago, Rudy Umans said:

well, I am not an "expert" or anything, but I happen to like art and I have seen a painting or two. As a -self proclaimed- artsy photographer (no, not here) I always look at other art forms. I think we can learn from each other. After all, it was a photographer (one of my heroes) , Alfred Stieglitz, who introduced Picasso, Matisse, Rodin, and a few others to the US and the world really. I also grew up in the land of Van Gogh. That helped.

BTW, I am not going to tell you that you could do much better than Microstock, but I am also not going to tell you that you could do much worse

Did you ever try Cubism?

Cubism : Only in wood carving, but I have occasionally thought about it.  Maybe I'll try a cubist painting now you have put the idea in my head.  I confine myself to microstock because it is so complication-free compared to dealing with people.  (I don't count the SS AI's as people).

22 minutes ago, clivewa said:

Cubism : Only in wood carving, but I have occasionally thought about it.  Maybe I'll try a cubist painting now you have put the idea in my head.  I confine myself to microstock because it is so complication-free compared to dealing with people.  (I don't count the SS AI's as people).

check out https://www.artlimited.net/painting. It's a French site and you might do well there. I have a small portfolio there  https://www.artlimited.net/rudyumans  but I just signed up, so I don't know much about their performance yet. (it is not a POD site)

25 minutes ago, Rudy Umans said:

check out https://www.artlimited.net/painting. It's a French site and you might do well there. I have a small portfolio there  https://www.artlimited.net/rudyumans  but I just signed up, so I don't know much about their performance yet. (it is not a POD site)

The site looks ok to me.  I enjoyed browsing it (and your portfolio there).  But my feeling at present is that if I ever do start trying to sell originals I would probably try Saatchi Art, which is a favourite place of mine for browsing.

2 hours ago, clivewa said:

The site looks ok to me.  I enjoyed browsing it (and your portfolio there).  But my feeling at present is that if I ever do start trying to sell originals I would probably try Saatchi Art, which is a favourite place of mine for browsing.

You don't have to sell originals, you can just sell prints.

I am familiar with Saatchi. I have an account with them too. Not very active though