Why is there an ad in the Contributor Dashboard?

11 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

There is?

I use adblock (uBlock origin), I don't see any ads.

I had adblock disabled for SS a while ago, fighting some glitches. Sure, I turned it on now. But it's not the core of a problem.

Dashboard is very private place, it contains sensitive information. I don't think that it's a good place for ads.

You would not keep a rat on your dining table, saying: "I tied it, so it can't make any harm. No worries!", right?

15 minutes ago, Swill Klitch said:

Dashboard is very private place, it contains sensitive information. I don't think that it's a good place for ads.

If it's a dashboard on your own website that you paid for, yes. But... the dashboard here is owned by Shutterstock and they can do whatever they want with it, whether we like it or not. It's not some private online sanctuary.

Come to think of it, it makes perfect sense from a capitalist business perspective for SS to have ads on the dashboard to turn it into a profitable entity. Thousands of contributors go there every day. Google Adsense must love it.

7 hours ago, balajisrinivasan said:

If it's a dashboard on your own website that you paid for, yes. But... the dashboard here is owned by Shutterstock and they can do whatever they want with it, whether we like it or not. It's not some private online sanctuary.

Never heard about third-party ads in bank dashboards. Guess why.

10 hours ago, Ralf Liebhold said:

Advertising for the German party FDP, financial services, cars, furniture, etc.

I saw an ad for Adobe there. 🤣

Thanks to the new ads on the dashboard I have now finally installed an ad blocker. I've always been against them since I ran a website for a while where all costs were covered by ads, so I always believed that if I use a site's service for free, the least I could do is have them show me some ads, knowing that some sites didn't have any other income and could only exist with ads -  So it didn't really bother me. But SS is not offering me their service for free and they are already making more money out of me than what's fair and I'll not support them in milking me even more. So, bye-bye, ads.