How Much Time it took for everyone to get First 30 USD Payout after starting here?

1 minute ago, Asik Mohammed said:

That's Great Steven, how many Images/Videos were uploaded at First Payout? .... I got 105 Images and 9 Videos... Recently received my glorious First ever download :)

I probably had a few hundred images but no videos at all until later in July. Hence I didn't start seeing video sales until September 2019.

After 8 days I had reached 90 downloads and had earned $35.70.
But that was almost 11 years ago and doesn't translate to today for newbies.
Back then, on my 14th day as a contributor, I had exceeded 50 downloads a day for the first time. In the following week I had between 41 and 47 downloads every day. Today I have a good day when I reach half – with six times the amount of images.

What you need to know: In the 2012 annual report, you can read that shutterstock's database contained 23 million images at the time. I don't know the exact numbers, but I estimate that at the end of 2010 it was maybe around 12 to 15 million images (the annual report 2010 is not available, so I don't know for sure). At the moment there are 368 million. That means that shutterstock's stock of images has grown 25-fold in those years, mine has grown only 6-fold. So I can't complain if my share of the cake is continuously getting smaller.

For friends of statistics – a comparison of the annual reports of shutterstock 2012 vs. 2020:

2012: 

• 23 million images
  • 76 million ("paid") downloads
  • 40.000 contributors
  • 750,000 ("paying") customers

2020:

• 360 million images
  • 190 million downloads
  • 1.6 million contributors
  • 2 million customers

That means:

• In 2012, each image in the database achieved an average of 3.3 downloads. In 2020 it was only 0.52 downloads.
  • In 2012, an average portfolio contained 575 images. In 2020 it was only 225 images.
  • In 2012 each customer bought 100 images in average. In 2020 it was 180 images. (This would also explain the relatively high proportion of $0.10 subscriptions from my point of view.)
  • In 2012, there were nineteen times as many customers as there were contributors. In 2020, there are almost as many contributors as customers.

Interesting stats, aren't they?

Hi, I started in April 2019 and I earned my first $35 in January 2020 with around 200 images (no videos) at that time. Of course it depends on the type of photos you have in the portfolio but now this will take much longer with the current earnings of $0.1 per image. To be honest these times most of downloads are the subscriptions, so in the worst scenario you need to have 300 downloads to get your first payout... I read somewhere on this forum that around 10-20% of all portfolio is selling per month on average, so you need much more photos with commercial value to reach the payout target. I have also very small portfolio (just 540 images) and currently my earnings are $1-$10 per month (mostly dependent on the amount of SODs and ODDs - the last 2 months I earned below $2, and I've never had the EL).

1 hour ago, Clupeidae said:

Depends on how many and what photos, not how long.

.....and how you describe it. Too many of your images start with description like "Captured....this and that.....". It would have been much better had you explained it in a way so that buyers are interested in your images.They are not interested in what you captured, they are interested if your captured image serves their purpose. Just a friendly suggestion. Please ignore if you dislike it.

One month, for me - to answer your question.

Regards,

Rudra

34 minutes ago, Rudra Narayan Mitra said:

.....and how you describe it. Too many of your images start with description like "Captured....this and that.....". It would have been much better had you explained it in a way so that buyers are interested in your images.They are not interested in what you captured, they are interested if your captured image serves their purpose. Just a friendly suggestion. Please ignore if you dislike it.

One month, for me - to answer your question.

Regards,

Rudra

Thank You. for your Suggestion, I am Just starting to get into Stock Photography seriously, So i am Learning, I will take your advice and try to describe my Photos in different way

11 hours ago, Miss Nephew said:

I wonder whats the percentage of people who never meet payout. Been on here for a few years and im not even there yet. 

Ive had payouts from the vast majority of stock agencies I contribute to. Ive never reached payout from Dreamstime as sales are a bit of a rare occurrence over there. By contrast, Ive had many payouts from SS - far more than from any other agency. I honestly can't remember how long it took to reach my first payout here.

1 hour ago, Asik Mohammed said:

Impressive Port there, But you have 4000+ images,  how you are not receiving monthly payout? how many best sellers you have?

That's a very good question. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that you get 10 cents for an image and you have to sell over 500 images a month to make payout.

I also don't know what a "best-seller" means anymore. Is it 100 downloads? 50? 10? 20 dollars?

4 hours ago, oleschwander said:

A few years and only 200 images ..!? That’s way too few. Also I would stongly suggest that you lighten up your images if you want to continue with stock. 😀

That is true i do not have a lot, I have some years that i got discouraged and stopped uploading and things have been a bit more quiet during covid since I mostly take travelling photos and have not travel. i will prob get there eventually on SS, IS and AS but not dreamtime. I would be happy with one payout a year tbh

Also, it's not about the number of images but the usefulness of the images. Of the 4500 images I have, only about 1300 have sold at least once. Which means the rest are just sitting there unsold and haven't found a use yet. If I had only 2000 images and all of them were useful and had sold, I would have made more. But it's not so easy for me to figure out what's useful. So I just throw everything I have and gamble.

1 minute ago, balajisrinivasan said:

Also, it's not about the number of images but the usefulness of the images. Of the 4500 images I have, only about 1300 have sold at least once. Which means the rest are just sitting there unsold and haven't found a use yet. If I had only 2000 images and all of them were useful and had sold, I would have made more. But it's not so easy for me to figure out what's useful. So I just throw everything I have and gamble.

Yeah I was a lot more selective at first when I started uploading, now everything thats half decent I upload